UFA 2020, Who’d You Sign?

robrob74

2 hours ago, Horsman1 said:

booby ryan is apparently red hot on going to Philly and is willing to wait and see if they can fit him in there before he considers any other offers

Maybe there is some logic there.

He's from the same town as Johnny.

Don't know if he has ties there, but it might stand to reason he does. 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting stuff on Brodie. Steinberg mentioned yesterday he feels Brodie's number 1 priority is staying in Calgary and then today it sounds like Friedman speculated he understand both the Brodie camp and the Flames camp are open to a return. 

Also article from Wes Gilbertson yesterday that while they've indicated they'd like him back Cam Talbot has yet to receive a formal offer from the Flames. 

Sounds to me like Flames are trying to aim higher and Talbot and Brodie are their back up plans, which makes perfect sense to me especially on Talbot. 

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

Interesting stuff on Brodie. Steinberg mentioned yesterday he feels Brodie's number 1 priority is staying in Calgary and then today it sounds like Friedman speculated he understand both the Brodie camp and the Flames camp are open to a return. 

Also article from Wes Gilbertson yesterday that while they've indicated they'd like him back Cam Talbot has yet to receive a formal offer from the Flames. 

Sounds to me like Flames are trying to aim higher and Talbot and Brodie are their back up plans, which makes perfect sense to me especially on Talbot. 

the last 3 words exactly, especially on Talbot, he’s a good back up plan...

as for Brodie, I’m of the thought process that if AP were not an option he’d have already been signed, I think AP is an upgrade by far on Brodie and they are looking at that possibility, but I think it’s just that a possibility but only if they don’t sign Brodie, hence the only reason he’s not signed...I get a sense that Brodie is gonna be signed and everyone will BTC an moan about it but by the end of the season flames fans are gonna say “I’m super glad we resigned Brodie” 

I have a gut feeling they will probably find an upgrade replacement for Hammer which will come from with in...Ras, and the outside replacement for Hammer will be a 2nd pairing D Rated put on the 3rd line with Valimaki probably cost a few extra mill over hammer but will produce an over all better depth D from 1-3 

if this happens, we will probably be looking at a Hall signing and JG trade with somekne coming in on the RW in exchange for JG...

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

That all makes perfect sense.

They don't know if AP would even want to come here, nor can they ask that question yet.

STL isn't even offering his rights in trade (or it appears that way), so they must believe there is still a chance.

I'm also of the opinion that there is a pecking order for UFA's in BT's mind.

Defense

Option 1 - AP

Option 2 - yet unnamed RD

Option 3 - Brodie

Nets

Option 1a - Lehner

Option 1b - Markstrom

Option 2 - yet unnamed goalie (trade or UFA)

Option 3 - Talbot

That's a lot of moving pieces.  A lot of it depends on how they prioritize the pieces.  If they put too much effort one, they might miss out on the other.  It's not like TDL, so the players determine the signing date/time.  But you have to have your offers solid on day 1.

Should lead to Fleury rumors now, but I have no interest in that unless Vegas put in a sweetener. 
 My math could be wrong but unless Vegas can sign him for less than 8 they won’t be able to table a contract offer to Pietrangelo without moving money first. Lehner puts them over the cap as it is and they would exceed the 10% cushion. Be interesting to see if they move any money in the coming days. 

The Lehner deal sets the baseline for Markstrom. I would say between 5 and 6 years at $5-6m. Still think I would rather sign Markstrom at 6x6 than giving up a 1st for Kuemper (who Arizona might not want to trade anymore), or bringing back Talbot.

2 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Should lead to Fleury rumors now, but o have no interest in that unless Vegas put in a sweetener. 
 My math could be wrong but unless Vegas can sign him for less than 8 they won’t be able to table a contract offer to Pietrabgelo without moving money first. Lehner puts them over the cap as it is. 

Vegas must be confident that they can move Fleury or will buy him out.

Apparently the latest on Markstrom is he still is very interesting in returning to the Canucks but he has no interest in rebuilding teams. He also apparently has told his agent he won’t go to Edmonton (which makes me like him more) but is interested in Calgary. 

options are shrinking for where he could go. I have a feeling he’s going to get a deal pretty similar to Lehners. 

Lehner not doing the players union any favours with that deal. Signs for $5M AAV as a bonified #1 goaltender to stay in Vegas. Other teams including CGY would have given him 6x6. He looks to have left one year and $11M on the table not to play in CGY.

51 minutes ago, CheersMan said:

With Lundquist being bought out, enter the Ranger to the goaltending mix. Teams looking for #1 goalie are NYR, CHI, VAN, BUF, CGY. That is probably the order of preferred landing spots for the goaltenders remaining. Welcome back Cam!

The Rangers already have two goalies that's why they bought out Lundquist. They will be going with Shesterkin and Georgiev, they won't be in the goalie market, except maybe for an experienced 3rd string goalie.

Carolina and Colorado are other teams rumored to be in the goalie market although both have some big contracts to deal with soon so be interesting to see how aggressive they want to be 

neither Chicago nor Buffalo is very attractive as a landing spot either. They are either rebuilding (Buffalo) or about to rebuild(Chicago). Both have terrible d cores. 

Vancouver has some cap limitations, expansion draft concerns and if they are in fact working on OEL their cap gets even tighter. Curious to see where they wind up on the market but it s sounding like they will be more in the experienced back up market 

If Wennberg gets bought out, I wouldn't mind Calgary taking a chance on him, especially if they move a center in a trade. I think he would a really solid 3rd line center on a new team, with a possibility to move up.

If we stay status quo down the middle it doesn't make a lot of sense. I really get the sense that Bennett is finally going to get a real shot at playing center next season, so you don't want to block him from that.

3 hours ago, cross16 said:

Apparently the latest on Markstrom is he still is very interesting in returning to the Canucks but he has no interest in rebuilding teams. He also apparently has told his agent he won’t go to Edmonton (which makes me like him more) but is interested in Calgary. 

options are shrinking for where he could go. I have a feeling he’s going to get a deal pretty similar to Lehners. 

That one made me smile.

The Nucks would be in a bad situation by bringing back Markstrom.

For one, he would want a NMC to be protected.

That leaves Demko to be exposed, which would cause them all kinds of grief.

They want to have the option of protecting Markstrom or Demko, depending on this season's play.

As far as other destinations, I don't see either COL or CAR being in the market.

Both have two signed goalies.

COL has Francouz who was pretty darn goood for a backup, plus Gru.

CAR had Riemer and Mrazek.

Calgary is a good situation for Markstrom.

I doubt we protect Rittich.

We could do a NMC in the first few years without any issue.

We could offer >$5m without any real issues by itself.

Having a stronger 1a puts us closer to the top of the Pacific.

His "buddy" Lindholm can put in a good word without tampering.

I don't like the trade options or even MAF after a buyout.

Too expensive for Murray (they can choke on it).

Keumper is looking more like he's staying in ARI.

29 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

If Wennberg gets bought out, I wouldn't mind Calgary taking a chance on him, especially if they move a center in a trade. I think he would a really solid 3rd line center on a new team, with a possibility to move up.

If we stay status quo down the middle it doesn't make a lot of sense. I really get the sense that Bennett is finally going to get a real shot at playing center next season, so you don't want to block him from that.

The only way he makes sense is if we are trading Ryan and not qualifying Janko.

I think Janko is gone anyway, so it comes down to whether Gawdin will be 4C or 4RW.

If Ryan was gone, it might make some sense to have Wennberh with Gawdin on the wing.

Wennberg's stats don't scream 3C, so I would be inclined to sign him as a 4C.

I somehow doubt he would be that cheap though.

As a project, he might be signed on a prove it contract.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

That one made me smile.

The Nucks would be in a bad situation by bringing back Markstrom.

For one, he would want a NMC to be protected.

That leaves Demko to be exposed, which would cause them all kinds of grief.

They want to have the option of protecting Markstrom or Demko, depending on this season's play.

As far as other destinations, I don't see either COL or CAR being in the market.

Both have two signed goalies.

COL has Francouz who was pretty darn goood for a backup, plus Gru.

CAR had Riemer and Mrazek.

Calgary is a good situation for Markstrom.

I doubt we protect Rittich.

We could do a NMC in the first few years without any issue.

We could offer >$5m without any real issues by itself.

Having a stronger 1a puts us closer to the top of the Pacific.

His "buddy" Lindholm can put in a good word without tampering.

I don't like the trade options or even MAF after a buyout.

Too expensive for Murray (they can choke on it).

Keumper is looking more like he's staying in ARI.

well I’d rather pay then same asking price for Murray over Kuemper but IMO with Murray being an RFA, an offer sheet to 4.2 over 1-3 years would only cost a 2nd rounder which would be worth it giving he’s only 25...doubt the pens have the room to match that, the only issue would be another team offering more but if you go 4.2 anything over that costs a 1st which is the asking on him so unless another team offers the same and is more desirable destination for him, that would be the angle to play...

after that maybe MAF but that would seriously depend on how much  otherwise we are probably best off with Tabs again but hopefully for no more than last year, he’s not with more.

4 hours ago, JTech780 said:

The Rangers already have two goalies that's why they bought out Lundquist. They will be going with Shesterkin and Georgiev, they won't be in the goalie market, except maybe for an experienced 3rd string goalie.

The Flames would never cut loose a team legend in their waning years. 

4 hours ago, JTech780 said:

100%.  I like Wennberg. It's just nobody likes him at $4.9-mil.  He's a better Jankowski but not as good as Backlund... So depending on the price, we should take a chance.  If it pans out then we've got ourselves a 50-point two-way Center.

7 hours ago, cross16 said:

Yups.  Calgary is not a top UFA destination so when someone expresses interest in coming here, then we need to appreciate it.  Great to hear.  Let's see how things play out.

Archived