Playoffs 2020 - Flames Lineup

travel_dude

6 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I wonder about using these lines:

Gaudreau-Lindholm-Tkachuk

This improves the top line defensively, it also combines what are probably the 3 best forwards on the team. Tkachuk gives the line more of a board presence which could come in handy in the playoffs.

Dube-Backlund-Mangiapane

This line would be able to play with so much pace and give the opposition fits with their puck pursuit.

Bennett-Monahan-Ryan

Monahan can still play on the top PP unit, but at 5v5 he is probably the 3rd best center on the team. With Ryan and Bennet it should help supplement Monahan.

Lucic-Quine-Rieder

Could put Rinaldo on this line for Rieder to give it more of an energy line feel, but Rieder has more offense and its nice to keep that breakaway speed in the lineup.

While this may make sense, it's too late to make a major shakeup like this, unless we are down 2-0 in the series.

The strange thing is that lat year, the top two lines were unstoppable up to the AS break.

After that, it was mostly one line going.

This year, the 2nd line (especially Backlund) caught fire in January.

I don't think we can adjust that now.

I do hope that Ward tries to free up the top line and not expect them to outplay the Jets top line.

Power vs power is fine if you only want to come away even.

We should be using last change to expose the lack of depth against the Jets.

Count on Backs and Lucic's line to slow down the top 6.

Use Bennett in that line (Lucic/Dube) and they will be fine.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't really like Lindholm at C in the regular season, so I'm not really on board with throwing him either back with his old line mates or on a new line.  Maybe give him another go next season but start off in camp that way, but I know many have soured on Monahan but this is his redemption, he's earned the chance to be put in his best spot, moving him to 3rd line with whipping boy Bennett and never played wing in Calgary Ryan, just provides an excuse if things go wrong.  

1 hour ago, sak22 said:

I didn't really like Lindholm at C in the regular season, so I'm not really on board with throwing him either back with his old line mates or on a new line.  Maybe give him another go next season but start off in camp that way, but I know many have soured on Monahan but this is his redemption, he's earned the chance to be put in his best spot, moving him to 3rd line with whipping boy Bennett and never played wing in Calgary Ryan, just provides an excuse if things go wrong.  

He might be ideal with Tkachuk and Mangiapane.

That does leave a hole (again) on the top line, but we could fill it via trade or UFA signing.

That would give us thre top 6 C up the middle.

The camp seems to be shrinking, but put me in the camp that didn't really love Lindholm at center. Maybe if he stayed there longer term it would be beneficial, but i found him a minor upgrade on Monahan defensively and while i did like his speed through the middle, I thought taking his shot away from the offence wasn't worth the trade off. I do like playing Lindholm and Tkachuk together but i'm not sure that lineup makes the Flames better. 

On this theme though, if the Flames are flat and don't play well in game 1 I hope Ward isn't shy to mix things up. I am normally a go down with what got you there type of guy but with this team I think they need that spark. I'm willing to try this if they fall flat in Game 1. 

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

He might be ideal with Tkachuk and Mangiapane.

That does leave a hole (again) on the top line, but we could fill it via trade or UFA signing.

That would give us thre top 6 C up the middle.

I think Tkachuk and Mangiapane played better with Backlund from February to the end, than they did with Lindholm in December-January.  January Tkachuk had 5 points and Mangiapane had 2, February Tkachuk had 15 and Mangiapane had 12, so I would say they were significantly better with Backlund.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm really frustrated with the lines Ward started with in Game 3. Perfect oppurtity to shake up the top line and roll out:

Mangiapane-Backlund-Lindholm

Lucic-Bennett-Dube

Gaudreau-Monahan-Ryan

at even strength.

I find Ward lacks imagination. That top line is struggling, and he had a perfect opportunity to move some things around with Tkachuk out.

3 hours ago, JA_Boomer said:

I'm really frustrated with the lines Ward started with in Game 3. Perfect oppurtity to shake up the top line and roll out:

Mangiapane-Backlund-Lindholm

Lucic-Bennett-Dube

Gaudreau-Monahan-Ryan

at even strength.

I find Ward lacks imagination. That top line is struggling, and he had a perfect opportunity to move some things around with Tkachuk out.

I agree. He still needs to shake up the Monahan line. Something has gotta get them going. 

I also agree, not just with Tkachuk out but the team at 5 on 5 is struggling outside the Dube line. It’s a really good time to tweak it and try to get all lines going. 

to start I would just flip Mang and Lindholm. Let Mangiapane go in and retrieve pucks and see if he can get they line forechecking a little more. Problem with the top line is they don’t cycle well, as currently constructed, and that makes it tough to be effective in the playoffs.

honestly if I could I’d love to move Gaudreau down the lineup. He has been non existent in this series and is providing no value at 5 on 5. However, with Tkachuk out and the potential he could break out at any time that isn’t a smart idea.

14 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Ward seems to be a "if we win then keep everything rolling" kind of guy.  We will likely go with the exact same lines for Game 4.

I get a bit of a different vibe. He doesn’t seems as stuck on things as previous coaches. 
I think the whole team knows the Game 3 effort isn’t going to win them the series. i after he’ll start everything the same but if they can’t find their game I think he’ll have to make changes 

Gaudreau has 0 5v5 points in the playoffs and has been on the ice for 4 high danger chances for, to give some idea how bad that is Rinaldo has been on the ice for 2 HDCF these playoffs. I think it's time to start the line juggling. Need to start playing the guys who are producing and to stop waiting for others to start.

Bennett-Monahan-Dube

Tkachuk-Backlund-Mangiapane

Gaudreau-Lindholm-Lucic

Jankowski-Ryan-Rieder

If Tkachuk can't go:

Bennett-Monahan-Dube

Lucic-Backlund-Mangiapane

Gaudreau-Lindholm-Robinson

Jankowski-Ryan-Rieder

I'm still not ready to do a full scale line shuffle. I know it feels like after a tough loss that things are slipping away but I don't think the Flames have been as bad in this series as many are suggesting. 

Right now I still want to just flip Mangiapane and Lindholm. I think giving Monahan/Gaudreau someone who can come in with speed and forecheck/retrieve pucks would open things up for them.

Don't change the Bennett line.

Put Jankowski back in the lineup for Rinaldo and if Tkachuk cannot go then I would run a bit of a rotation on the left side of the Backlund line. Double shift Gaudreau for favorable opportunities and then use Jankowski/Reider depending on the PK situation. 

15 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Gaudreau has 0 5v5 points in the playoffs and has been on the ice for 4 high danger chances for, to give some idea how bad that is Rinaldo has been on the ice for 2 HDCF these playoffs. I think it's time to start the line juggling. Need to start playing the guys who are producing and to stop waiting for others to start.

Bennett-Monahan-Dube

Tkachuk-Backlund-Mangiapane

Gaudreau-Lindholm-Lucic

Jankowski-Ryan-Rieder

If Tkachuk can't go:

Bennett-Monahan-Dube

Lucic-Backlund-Mangiapane

Gaudreau-Lindholm-Robinson

Jankowski-Ryan-Rieder

I would suggest that Bennett has proven to be the most consistent player with Lucic and Dube.

Switching that up concerns me.

I don't have any issue with the other lines.

Mangiapane playing with Monahan makes the most sense to me.

Baclund had a bit of an off game, so maybe with the increased amount of O-zone starts, that could be a place to use Gaudreau.

Perhaps not, but he has looked good with Backlund in the past.

Having Tkachuk on the line might allow for some creativity.

I'm actually okay Janko at C and Ryan there for some of the draws.

4 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I'm still not ready to do a full scale line shuffle. I know it feels like after a tough loss that things are slipping away but I don't think the Flames have been as bad in this series as many are suggesting. 

Right now I still want to just flip Mangiapane and Lindholm. I think giving Monahan/Gaudreau someone who can come in with speed and forecheck/retrieve pucks would open things up for them.

Put Jankowski back in the lineup for Rinaldo and if Tkachuk cannot go then I would run a bit of a rotation on the left side of the Backlund line. Double shift Gaudreau for favorable opportunities and then use Jankowski/Reider depending on the PK situation. 

For me it's partly about getting the guys who are going (Bennett and Dube) more ice time, and maybe getting Gaudreau away from some of the tougher matchups, it might allow him to find some more time and space.

2 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I would suggest that Bennett has proven to be the most consistent player with Lucic and Dube.

Switching that up concerns me.

I don't have any issue with the other lines.

Mangiapane playing with Monahan makes the most sense to me.

Baclund had a bit of an off game, so maybe with the increased amount of O-zone starts, that could be a place to use Gaudreau.

Perhaps not, but he has looked good with Backlund in the past.

Having Tkachuk on the line might allow for some creativity.

I'm actually okay Janko at C and Ryan there for some of the draws.

I absolutely get the concerns and I share them. I just think they need to find ways to get more lines going at 5v5 than just the Bennett-Lucic-Dube line.

2 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

For me it's partly about getting the guys who are going (Bennett and Dube) more ice time, and maybe getting Gaudreau away from some of the tougher matchups, it might allow him to find some more time and space.

I don't disagree on either. I would just play the Bennett line more and that's why I want to see Ward do some double shifting of Gaudreau especially given he won't have last change. I thikn that also helps the Backlund line where Reider is not a good fit. 

I'm just really against breaking up lines that are playing as well as the Bennett one is that's all. I'd try other things first but I get the rationale too. 

3 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I absolutely get the concerns and I share them. I just think they need to find ways to get more lines going at 5v5 than just the Bennett-Lucic-Dube line.

So, build on what they are doing by making small changes elsewhere.

Rieder was not a good fit with Backlund.

That line was just not good.

Maybe Gaudreau isn't the right fit, but he could be if Tkachuk was available.

Might actually provide some better chances all around.

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

what about Jankowski or Robinson on the Monahan line? They both go into corners are retrieve pucks. One might be a bit better at scoring than the other, while the other is better at being physical doing it.

Play: Mangiapane, Backlund, Lindholm as the shutdowns. 

Lucic, Bennett, Dube

Jankowski/Robinson, Ryan, Reider

10 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

what about Jankowski or Robinson on the Monahan line? They both go into corners are retrieve pucks. One might be a bit better at scoring than the other, while the other is better at being physical doing it.

Play: Mangiapane, Backlund, Lindholm as the shutdowns. 

Lucic, Bennett, Dube

Jankowski/Robinson, Ryan, Reider

Personally I'm not really interested in putting Robinson in the lineup as I don't consider him an NHL player. Might works in short stints but if the game got tight I don't think you'd want him out there. 

Janko isn't fast enough to retrieve pucks so I would suspect you'd wind up with the same scenario that dump ins would just come right back out and you'd have no zone time. 

I’m not sure who mentioned it, but why not double shift gaudreau with Benny and Dube once in a while. Not because Lucic is a problem, but I think gaudreau would benefit from seeing those two buzzing around every once in a while. Put him in an o zone draw, and watch Benny and Dube go and get the puck?

19 hours ago, pikey7883 said:

I’m not sure who mentioned it, but why not double shift gaudreau with Benny and Dube once in a while. Not because Lucic is a problem, but I think gaudreau would benefit from seeing those two buzzing around every once in a while. Put him in an o zone draw, and watch Benny and Dube go and get the puck?

Why do we have to "get him going?".   It should be the other way around.  

21 hours ago, cross16 said:

Personally I'm not really interested in putting Robinson in the lineup as I don't consider him an NHL player. Might works in short stints but if the game got tight I don't think you'd want him out there. 

Janko isn't fast enough to retrieve pucks so I would suspect you'd wind up with the same scenario that dump ins would just come right back out and you'd have no zone time. 

I think Robinson could work against DAL because they have some big D and Robinson gives us size to overcome them.  If we were playing a fast team, then I wouldn't even consider Robinson in the lineup.

1 minute ago, The_People1 said:

I think Robinson could work against DAL because they have some big D and Robinson gives us size to overcome them.  If we were playing a fast team, then I wouldn't even consider Robinson in the lineup.

That's where I am at. We aren't going to score off the rush in this series. We need players to be able to win board battles and to be difficult in front of the net. I think Robinson does that better, than Rinaldo, Quine, or Froese. So for me he is the better option than any of those guys.

3 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

That's where I am at. We aren't going to score off the rush in this series. We need players to be able to win board battles and to be difficult in front of the net. I think Robinson does that better, than Rinaldo, Quine, or Froese. So for me he is the better option than any of those guys.

If Tkachuk is playing then you should play Janko.

If no Tkachuk, then anyone not named Rinaldo works for me.

The body of work for Buddy was so small, but I don't think he would be worse than Rinaldo.

Archived