Playoffs 2020 - Flames Lineup

travel_dude

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

Swap Janko with Ryan and this is the way to go for me. Be interesting to see if that is the plan but because Bennett and Janko have been a thing the skeptic in me thinks he is a place holder and they'll just put Ryan back on that line and put Bennett on the 4th and be done with it. Would basically be the lineup the went into the stoppage with. 

Hope i'm wrong but it would be right up Ward's ally to play it out that way. 

If the plan is to move Bennett down and Ryan in, they had better do that sooner than later.

Have him in there prior to the game against EDM with enough scrimmage play to prove he belongs there.

His status is unknown, other than he took a puck off the foot and hasn't been back since.

I don't think Ryan is a slouch, but if you have a combo that works, why change.

Have 4 effective lines instead of three.

Personally, I never really felt the Janko-Bennett pair worked that well this season.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Good sign, Ryan is back for the intra-squad game today, and it looks like they are keeping Lucic-Bennett-Dube together.

Any idea on the D pairs?  Team White is easy to figure out, but Team Red has Valimaki, Kylington, Yelesin, Stone.  Previously, they had Kylington-Stone, which is basically the 4th pairing as it stands today.

16 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Any idea on the D pairs?  Team White is easy to figure out, but Team Red has Valimaki, Kylington, Yelesin, Stone.  Previously, they had Kylington-Stone, which is basically the 4th pairing as it stands today.

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

They are going to have to clean up that coverage in a hurry.

I actually think the coverage was good, surprisingly, Kylington just needed to find Rinaldo earlier and make a harder play on his stick. That's on Kylington. 

59 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Rittich not looking especially sharp.

That is one heck of a play by Gustafsson

2 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I actually think the coverage was good, surprisingly, Kylington just needed to find Rinaldo earlier and make a harder play on his stick. That's on Kylington. 

That is one heck of a play by Gustafsson

Yeah I was concerned about Rinaldo getting a few good whacks unimpeded in front of the net.

Gustafsson could be a difference maker on the PP for us, he is really deceptive with how he moves the puck.

It looks like Ward and company did some analysis of the PP on their time off. Gaudreau scored a one timer on his strong side (RW) the other day and now we see Ras getting into a great one time position.

More of this please. These type of subtleties and the addition of Gustafsson could really give the Flames 2 solid units and maybe some more consistency on the PP. 

35 minutes ago, cross16 said:

It looks like Ward and company did some analysis of the PP on their time off. Gaudreau scored a one timer on his strong side (RW) the other day and now we see Ras getting into a great one time position.

More of this please. These type of subtleties and the addition of Gustafsson could really give the Flames 2 solid units and maybe some more consistency on the PP. 

I know that it goes against conventional wisdom to have Gaudreau on his off wing, but I always felt playing there made him much more dangerous as a shot option.

I have seen them go with Ras at the left circle, but he was rarely getting set up with time for a one-timer.

13 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I know that it goes against conventional wisdom to have Gaudreau on his off wing, but I always felt playing there made him much more dangerous as a shot option.

I have seen them go with Ras at the left circle, but he was rarely getting set up with time for a one-timer.

At 5 on 5 it does but in terms of the PP it's become pretty common the last few years to play players on their off wings to generate one timers. Especially as we get more data to show that getting goalies to move seems to be more successful and big slappers from the point are not that successful. 

It's something i'm surprised the Flames have not looked to implement sooner to be honest. Their first unit is pretty good so likely they didn't want to mess with a good thing but still it's nice to throw a different look out there when you get stagnant as all units do. 

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

At 5 on 5 it does but in terms of the PP it's become pretty common the last few years to play players on their off wings to generate one timers. Especially as we get more data to show that getting goalies to move seems to be more successful and big slappers from the point are not that successful. 

It's something i'm surprised the Flames have not looked to implement sooner to be honest. Their first unit is pretty good so likely they didn't want to mess with a good thing but still it's nice to throw a different look out there when you get stagnant as all units do. 

Yeah, I was talking about PP.  5v5 doesn't lead to that kind of opportunity often.

I can't tell you the number of broken sticks Gio had this year when he lined up for a one-timer.

It seemed like it was one per game.

Not every team uses it, but you can point to a few players that are a threat every time they are on the circle.

Stamkos, Ovi, Laine to name a few.

EDM tends to use cross-crease passes effectively or uses seeing-eye shots from the point.

Not a lot of slappers.

Our PP strategy is pretty much, move the puck around to setup Monahan in the slot for a one-timer.  If that's not available then give it to Gaudreau.  

It's too weak because we don't have a bomb from the point.  No one needs to respect the point shot.  They can collapse the box around Monahan and our PP is broken down.

6 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Our PP strategy is pretty much, move the puck around to setup Monahan in the slot for a one-timer.  If that's not available then give it to Gaudreau.  

It's too weak because we don't have a bomb from the point.  No one needs to respect the point shot.  They can collapse the box around Monahan and our PP is broken down.

well, it’s also predicted like you say so they’re not utilizing the variety they do have on the PP. Lindholm and Tkachuk are also threats and if they used them more it might open Monahan up more often.

It’s why I think they shouldn’t overload the first pp because they don’t use the depth on it as fully as they could. I think that unit is strong but could also be tops in the NHL if they used everyone properly on it. 

I think it was cross or someone who said it was actually #6 as a unit in the NHL but it goes to show how using less talent  on the  2nd unit can drag the team’s numbers down. I don’t know if that’s a good thing or a bad. Many here thinks overloading is good. I would prefer to have two solid units though. My hope would be that even if the first unit scored a bit less, then the 2nd unit could pick up the slack. 

I like Johnny having a strong side pass available. Sometimes I feel he should create an office behind the net like the olden days of Gretzky and how Gilmour used to do it.

10 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

well, it’s also predicted like you say so they’re not utilizing the variety they do have on the PP. Lindholm and Tkachuk are also threats and if they used them more it might open Monahan up more often.

It’s why I think they shouldn’t overload the first pp because they don’t use the depth on it as fully as they could. I think that unit is strong but could also be tops in the NHL if they used everyone properly on it. 

I think it was cross or someone who said it was actually #6 as a unit in the NHL but it goes to show how using less talent  on the  2nd unit can drag the team’s numbers down. I don’t know if that’s a good thing or a bad. Many here thinks overloading is good. I would prefer to have two solid units though. My hope would be that even if the first unit scored a bit less, then the 2nd unit could pick up the slack. 

I like Johnny having a strong side pass available. Sometimes I feel he should create an office behind the net like the olden days of Gretzky and how Gilmour used to do it.

In general, few are successful setting up behind the net.

Why it wouldn't work for Gaudreau is they know it runs through him and will pressure him there.

At least if he's on the half boards, he has space to escape.

The best the Flames do on the PP is when they move the puck with speed.

They are not stationary and the PK has to cover too much too quickly.

We've seen that at times, but mostly with Gio it's predictable.

I could probably guess every pass before it's made.

I think there are a few things you could do and be more effective.

Have Ras playing on the LW circle.

Have Mangiapane on the other side.

Lucic in front.

Mobile D man on the point.

No Gio out there.

Extra F moves around down low; has to be a strong C.

That's PP 2.

PP1 could be about the same if they want, with JH and Lindholm on the circles with Tkachuk in front.

Monahan is the extra F.

But Gio isn't the best man for the job in that case.

Gus probably makes the most sense.

You could play pairs that can pass across the crease down low, but it's a tough thing to do unless you are really goood at it and the puck ends up there every second pass.

Both have to be ready for the tap in, not accepting the pass.

I like the idea of Lucic-Bennet-Dube as a line. I just hope they give them more than a shift or two. Whenever the Flames tinkered with lines, it felt like they threw it out the window as soon as they fell behind. Maybe that's not the case, just my opinion. Either way, I'd like to see them get at least a period together.

I'd go with

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm

Tkachuk-Backlund-Mangiapane

Lucic-Bennett-Dube

Rinaldo-Ryan-Rieder

If they play Bennett at C, I can't see a spot for Jankowski. Rinaldo might make some sense in the bottom 6, maybe Czarnik if they want more skill.

Archived