Playoffs 2020 - Flames Lineup

travel_dude

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, cross16 said:

Not hard to see where the difference in this series lies. Literally anymore production out of the top line and this series is either over, or the Flames are up. 

It is somewhat fair to point to the 2nd line but I actually feel they've been good. Missing Tkachuk is a big blow and they are still mostly finding a way to push the play the other way and top of the fact they are the shutdown line too. 

At some point in a series your best players need to be your best players and the Flames' have been nowhere close. It's really that simple and if they want to win that's going to be the formula. 

Not to argue (but I guess I am) but stopping their top line from scoring has as much to do with losing a few games.

True that Backlund's line has scored a bit and done a valiant job of defending, they are still being scored on 5v5.

Gaudreau is doing squat to score, but is also not being scored on.

Monahan not so fortunate.

Let me put it a different way, if we were able to stop their top line, we would have won.

9 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Not to argue (but I guess I am) but stopping their top line from scoring has as much to do with losing a few games.

True that Backlund's line has scored a bit and done a valiant job of defending, they are still being scored on 5v5.

Let me put it a different way, if we were able to stop their top line, we would have won.

yea, and how often do 4th lines tend to play top lines? Some coaches like to put top line vs top line and hope you’re power beats their power. 

i still don’t think the 4th is the huge problem. Sure I want another pk guy and Janks can maybe do that. But Jankowski hasn’t been a major threat this year. I feel the 4th provides decent shifts and some extra energy. 

Quine played better than I expected, same with Rinaldo. He wasn’t bad yesterday and played better/harder than a few top guys. 

when Rinaldo looks a bit better than your top guys aside from a few Johnny Neutral zone Dangles, that’s a problem elsewhere in the line up other than the 4th line.

we had this same discussion last year. 

12 hours ago, robrob74 said:

yea, and how often do 4th lines tend to play top lines? Some coaches like to put top line vs top line and hope you’re power beats their power. 

i still don’t think the 4th is the huge problem. Sure I want another pk guy and Janks can maybe do that. But Jankowski hasn’t been a major threat this year. I feel the 4th provides decent shifts and some extra energy. 

Quine played better than I expected, same with Rinaldo. He wasn’t bad yesterday and played better/harder than a few top guys. 

when Rinaldo looks a bit better than your top guys aside from a few Johnny Neutral zone Dangles, that’s a problem elsewhere in the line up other than the 4th line.

we had this same discussion last year. 

DIfferent coach, still outcoached.

No, I'm not pointing to the 4th line as the problem, but when another team's 4th line is able to handle our top 6, we have a problem Houston.

Many teams have guys on the 4th line that should be top 9 or even top 6.

We have a couple 3rd line player that fit that bill.

My sense is we have not played well (this year or last year) from the net out.

The defense struggles to contain.

They struggle to generate anything and are too passive.

The forwards are not gaining speed through the neutral zone so they can't get Dallas backing up.

We cycle well, but it ends up with a weak point shot that is easily grabbed.

Individually, I have seen some good things done.

But the support just isn;t there for 60 minutes.

Some days I don;t even realizie Lindholm and Hanifin are playing.

They have had such little impact, which is so unusual.

14 hours ago, travel_dude said:

At 5 on 5 Gaudreau and Monahan have been on the ice for 2 goals against at 5 on 5, Backs and Mang 4. Backs/Mang have also started to get more d zone starts than Gaudreau/Monahan. 

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

At 5 on 5 Gaudreau and Monahan have been on the ice for 2 goals against at 5 on 5, Backs and Mang 4. Backs/Mang have also started to get more d zone starts than Gaudreau/Monahan. 

Don't get me wrong.  I am not forgiving JH anything.  I'm just pointing out that there are other factors.

Looking at stats alone never proves anything, but it does suggest some areas of weakness.

Might be a lot different if Matty was in the lineup.

Archived