Playoffs 2020 - Flames Lineup

travel_dude

14 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I like the idea of Lucic-Bennet-Dube as a line. I just hope they give them more than a shift or two. Whenever the Flames tinkered with lines, it felt like they threw it out the window as soon as they fell behind. Maybe that's not the case, just my opinion. Either way, I'd like to see them get at least a period together.

I'd go with

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm

Tkachuk-Backlund-Mangiapane

Lucic-Bennett-Dube

Rinaldo-Ryan-Rieder

If they play Bennett at C, I can't see a spot for Jankowski. Rinaldo might make some sense in the bottom 6, maybe Czarnik if they want more skill.

Maybe Janko doesn't belong in the 12 best, but how does Rinaldo rate inclusion?

He generally plays about 5-9 minues.

He had points in three games (LA, ARI and SJS).

Was lack of toughness the problem we had last year?

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, travel_dude said:

Maybe Janko doesn't belong in the 12 best, but how does Rinaldo rate inclusion?

He generally plays about 5-9 minues.

He had points in three games (LA, ARI and SJS).

Was lack of toughness the problem we had last year?

Jankowski really hasn't played much wing. He doesn't do much for him, he could play or sit, I'm fine with either.

With Rinaldo, you know what you're getting. With no real atmosphere in the building, he's someone that could bring some energy. By no means does he need to play more than 10 mins though. 

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Jankowski really hasn't played much wing. He doesn't do much for him, he could play or sit, I'm fine with either.

With Rinaldo, you know what you're getting. With no real atmosphere in the building, he's someone that could bring some energy. By no means does he need to play more than 10 mins though. 

I don't dispute that he brings energy.

I just don't know that he should be in games where there is no tomorrow.

We can;t afford penalties for needless stuff.

He doesn't fit as being one of the better PK'ers.

He's not on the PP.

I could see him being more usefull in a longer series.

Not every game, just use him when that role is needed.

I'll ask this because his games were few and far between.

Did his play without the puck do enough to keep the puck out of our net?

Was his forechecking good enough to create transition?

For me, a player that isn;t scoring goals or play on the PK has to excell in those two areas.

IF Rinaldo is in the lineup against Edmonton he could come in handy...   He could be Kassian's watchdog, and if they both sit in the box or get tossed, the Flames would lose Rinaldo for a bit (not the end of the world), but then there would also be no Kassian being a pest on the ice...   I'm not sure that Kassian would really want to scrap Lucic, but he wouldn't be able to resist the temptation of dropping the gloves with Rinaldo...    I could also see Rinaldo putting in a good effort at this point with a playoff situation resuming..

30 minutes ago, Carty said:

IF Rinaldo is in the lineup against Edmonton he could come in handy...   He could be Kassian's watchdog, and if they both sit in the box or get tossed, the Flames would lose Rinaldo for a bit (not the end of the world), but then there would also be no Kassian being a pest on the ice...   I'm not sure that Kassian would really want to scrap Lucic, but he wouldn't be able to resist the temptation of dropping the gloves with Rinaldo...    I could also see Rinaldo putting in a good effort at this point with a playoff situation resuming..

I hope the Flames put in the player they feel gives the the best chance to win.  Not as concerned about the exhibition game, but still it's the only tune up the 19 or players playing against the Jets will get.  If you are sitting Johnny to have Rinaldo play is one thing, but I still want JH getting up to speed.  Who sits out then?

Agains, I have no issue with Rinaldo playing if he is the 12th best F.  It's just the EDM is the only throw away game where speed and timing have to be 9/10 there.  By the end it has to be 100%.  Unless Rinaldo plays in all playoff games, I don't see the reason.  Lucic will face him in a variety of sequences.  And Bennett will be drawing his ire as much as Tkachuk.  

gaudreau/monahan/linfholm are together.. well too start anyways.. I'd love to see Tkachuk/ bennett/ dube.. as a line/lucic/backlund/ ryan as the third line// and use three other spots for dynamics needed for special teams.. ie.. Mangiapane// 

9 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Well that's disappointing. I really like Ryan and think he has been one Treliving's best UFA signings, but I think Bennett has a chance to be a difference maker and to burry him on the 4th line is a mistake IMO.

Yeah, my feelings exactly.

You can see how things are shaping up.

Bennett only plays C when Rinaldo in the limeup.

We turn the 4th line into a defensive/grit line.

Janko in the lineup, Bennett is a winger.

Lose-lose.

I guess we could be overreacting a bit.

Ward has to see if that chemistry still exists with Ryan.

But the ex. game will probably determine the fate of those two lines.

29 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Well that's disappointing. I really like Ryan and think he has been one Treliving's best UFA signings, but I think Bennett has a chance to be a difference maker and to burry him on the 4th line is a mistake IMO.

Disappointing, but not at all shocked.  I'd say they dropped the ball in not moving Bennett last summer after his playoffs, pretty sure his value has taken a major hit this season, not that it was too high to begin with,  and will most likely be exposed in the expansion draft next year.  

34 minutes ago, sak22 said:

Disappointing, but not at all shocked.  I'd say they dropped the ball in not moving Bennett last summer after his playoffs, pretty sure his value has taken a major hit this season, not that it was too high to begin with,  and will most likely be exposed in the expansion draft next year.  

All he needs is another playoff where he gets the most points and his value will be back up there.

I know teams need playoff performers, but you just can't have a player like that, who disappears the rest of the year.

Don't get me wrong, I like Bennett.

I just think it's a waste to have him grinding out the year on the 4th line. 

2 hours ago, sak22 said:

Hindsight is always 20/20 but Bennett should have been moved when the Flames hired Peters. Peters and his staff just never seemed to take to Bennett so it's too bad the Flames didn't try and move him then because he probably had value but now they've just watch his value drop off a cliff. At this point the best strategy is to hold him and hope that Seattle bites in the expansion draft.  

These are the decision that really frustrate me with Ward though. I get the counter argument, Lucic-Ryan-Dube were a good line so there is some logic here but why not strive for more? You were willing to put one of your best centers on the wing, a decision that was illogical IMO, to try and see if you could get more out of your top line and here you won't try and find a home for the highest ever draft pick in team's history and strive for more out of all of your lines? Why take the risk then and not now?

All coaches made decisions you question but Ward makes the most out of any Flames coach in recent memory for me. I'm also pretty disappointed that after that long of a break and after consulting as a group the coaching staff has come back with the exact same lineup.

12 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Hindsight is always 20/20 but Bennett should have been moved when the Flames hired Peters. Peters and his staff just never seemed to take to Bennett so it's too bad the Flames didn't try and move him then because he probably had value but now they've just watch his value drop off a cliff. At this point the best strategy is to hold him and hope that Seattle bites in the expansion draft.  

These are the decision that really frustrate me with Ward though. I get the counter argument, Lucic-Ryan-Dube were a good line so there is some logic here but why not strive for more? You were willing to put one of your best centers on the wing, a decision that was illogical IMO, to try and see if you could get more out of your top line and here you won't try and find a home for the highest ever draft pick in team's history and strive for more out of all of your lines? Why take the risk then and not now?

All coaches made decisions you question but Ward makes the most out of any Flames coach in recent memory for me. I'm also pretty disappointed that after that long of a break and after consulting as a group the coaching staff has come back with the exact same lineup.

Yeah, I don't get the sense anything has really changed.

Sure, they were 6-3-1 on the last 10, but really only two of those wins were against actual playoff teams.

I'm okay on the defense; I think there is no reason why you make trades for player like that if you don't expect them to play.

TBH, they are probably the 5th and 6th best D we have available.

Ryan could prove to be the best player for Lucic, but that makes the 4th line worse as a result.

Last year, Ryan had one goal in 5 games to Bennett's 5 points and Janko's zero.

We aren't really deeper this year, so Bennett should be playing at least top 9 minutes.

IMO if they want to play Ryan as the 3rd line center, and I have no issue with that, they should play Bennett on his LW with Dube on the RW and play Lucic on the 4th line.

I would then go with an energy line of Lucic-Quine-Rinaldo.

Listening to Fan can really boil your blood some times.

They have no time to see Bennett between Lucic and Dube.

It's not even a question for them.

They see Bennett on the wong with Janko, or maybe at C with Rinaldo in.

Setting up Lucic (benefit of a RHS C) is what seems to be the driving force.

Lucic doesn't need a Ryan to be effective.

Dube, on the other hand would benefit from a LHS C.

Which is more important?

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Listening to Fan can really boil your blood some times.

They have no time to see Bennett between Lucic and Dube.

It's not even a question for them.

They see Bennett on the wong with Janko, or maybe at C with Rinaldo in.

Setting up Lucic (benefit of a RHS C) is what seems to be the driving force.

Lucic doesn't need a Ryan to be effective.

Dube, on the other hand would benefit from a LHS C.

Which is more important?

It is an excuse, like as if it was the reason Lucic was so effective a thousand years ago. Has it turned him into a 20-25 goal scorer? Not this year or even the next few. It is what Ward said about Lucic when he arrived on the scene, how having the right handed shot Center was going to get him going as an expert on Lucic due to coaching him in Boston. To me that rings BIAS! He, like other coaches, isn’t willing to put the bias aside to develop deeper teams. Ryan did work very well with them in the past so I get why they go there, and most of them have soured on Bennett. 

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

It is an excuse, like as if it was the reason Lucic was so effective a thousand years ago. Has it turned him into a 20-25 goal scorer? Not this year or even the next few. It is what Ward said about Lucic when he arrived on the scene, how having the right handed shot Center was going to get him going as an expert on Lucic due to coaching him in Boston. To me that rings BIAS! He, like other coaches, isn’t willing to put the bias aside to develop deeper teams. Ryan did work very well with them in the past so I get why they go there, and most of them have soured on Bennett. 

Yeah, for some reason he doesn't know a thing about Bennett.

Perennial top scorer in the playoffs.

Has more goals called off than Ryan or Janko scored.

Maybe not top 6 with the way Mangiapane plays, but 3rd line at worst.

Call Bennett Mr. April, or in this case Mr. August.

Lucic is a fine player, and he almost gave up under the helm of BP.

He's getting back to his game a little more every day.

Playoffs should be where he makes bank.

He's not going to score off the rush unless Dube pinpoints a pass on his stick.

Ryan is less likely to do that, even with the handedness.

Mostly due to Dube's speed.

23 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Gaudreau on the breakaway. By all accounts he has been flying all camp.

Well I guess he changed it up by going forehand five-hole instead of backhand.  And of course the only way he scores on a breakaway is on a Flames goalie.

While I would rather see Bennett at 3C then Ryan, I would much rather we play our best nine forwards in the top-nine:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Ryan

Tkachuk-Lindholm-Mangiapane

Bennett-Backlund-Dube

Lucic-Jankowski-Reider

4th line gets caved in? Don't play them 5-on-5 when you're up by a goal or worse.

Archived