2020-2021 Fantastical Offseason: You be the GM

ABC923

4 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

yup! It’s why I thought him to Ottawa for 5th overall+ might be a good idea for a quick retool. It depends on if you think that 5th overall could be just as good. Ottawa could use a C and he’s already a player that played in Ottawa. He’d be recognized By the community already.

maybe do the Hamonic deal. 

to Calgary:

5th overall 

2nd rounder this year 

2nd rounder next year

to Ottawa:

Sean Monahan 

It makes sense, I just don't think Ottawa is moving the 5th overall pick, they are in full rebuild mode and they should be able to get a top pairing defenseman to go with Chabot at #5.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

It makes sense, I just don't think Ottawa is moving the 5th overall pick, they are in full rebuild mode and they should be able to get a top pairing defenseman to go with Chabot at #5.

YeAh, I was just thinking that the fact the already have Tkachuk they could need a C to go with him. Monahan is still relatively young and already a 30 goal guy.

In the trade thread I suggested 

To BUF

Gaudreau Signed 

Monahan Signed

UFA rights to Brodie (early negotiation rights)

Jankowski RFA

To CGY

Reinhart RW RFA 

Montour RHD RFA

2020 1st (8 overall)

conditional 2020 2nd ( if Brodie signs)

2020 5th

Dubois RFA

To CBJ

Middlestat RFA

2020 5th CGY

Then Flames sign Hall.

I think this all works for a few reasons. 

Buffalo gets an immediate upgrade adding Johnny and Mony who are both signed for multiple years. They can also sign Brodie prior to UFA filling Montour hole. This adds talent to keep Eichel happy for relatively low cap. Rights to Jankowski for the loss of Middlestat in the minors and fits better on 3rd line behind Eichel and Monahan.

Calgary gains a solid top 4 RHD, a skilled RHS RW, A big skilled young C for top 6 and some picks including a top 10.

Columbus gets a C with similar stats just slightly less established and likely saves a little cap space because of it. Plus a later pick to sweeten the pot.

Hall fills the Gaudreau hole, Dubois fills Monahan hole, Reinhart takes top line RW which we need. Montour fills Brodie hole.

We gain a top 10 pick, and likely gain a second rounder while upgrading our 5th.

Signed players are more valuable than FA rights so that’s why picks added.

Lindholm plays with Backlund and Tkachuk. 

Re-sign Talbot and Reider

Hall Dubois Reinhart (Offence)

Tkachuk Backlund Lindholm (2 way)

Mangiapane Bennett Dube (Energy)

Lucic Ryan Reider (Defensive)

Giordano Montour

Hanifin Andersson 

Valimaki ??

Talbot

Rittich

While not big changes, this looks like an improved lineup to me. Need a stable RD to help Valimaki along.

After trading Gaudreau and a Monahan the Flames would have 30 mil to spend on Hall, Dubois, Reinhart, Montour, Mangiapane, Talbot, Reider, #6 and #7 D and #13 FWD. Would be tight but possible. May need to trade Ryan for cap relief. Also ok moving Rittich for cheaper backup to save cap.

Just some thoughts to move along discussion.

2 minutes ago, bosn111 said:

In the trade thread I suggested 

To BUF

Gaudreau Signed 

Monahan Signed

UFA rights to Brodie (early negotiation rights)

Jankowski RFA

To CGY

Reinhart RW RFA 

Montour RHD RFA

2020 1st (8 overall)

conditional 2020 2nd ( if Brodie signs)

2020 5th

Dubois RFA

To CBJ

Middlestat RFA

2020 5th CGY

Then Flames sign Hall.

I think this all works for a few reasons. 

Buffalo gets an immediate upgrade adding Johnny and Mony who are both signed for multiple years. They can also sign Brodie prior to UFA filling Montour hole. This adds talent to keep Eichel happy for relatively low cap. Rights to Jankowski for the loss of Middlestat in the minors and fits better on 3rd line behind Eichel and Monahan.

Calgary gains a solid top 4 RHD, a skilled RHS RW, A big skilled young C for top 6 and some picks including a top 10.

Columbus gets a C with similar stats just slightly less established and likely saves a little cap space because of it. Plus a later pick to sweeten the pot.

Hall fills the Gaudreau hole, Dubois fills Monahan hole, Reinhart takes top line RW which we need. Montour fills Brodie hole.

We gain a top 10 pick, and likely gain a second rounder while upgrading our 5th.

Signed players are more valuable than FA rights so that’s why picks added.

Lindholm plays with Backlund and Tkachuk. 

Re-sign Talbot and Reider

Hall Dubois Reinhart (Offence)

Tkachuk Backlund Lindholm (2 way)

Mangiapane Bennett Dube (Energy)

Lucic Ryan Reider (Defensive)

Giordano Montour

Hanifin Andersson 

Valimaki ??

Talbot

Rittich

While not big changes, this looks like an improved lineup to me. Need a stable RD to help Valimaki along.

After trading Gaudreau and a Monahan the Flames would have 30 mil to spend on Hall, Dubois, Reinhart, Montour, Mangiapane, Talbot, Reider, #6 and #7 D and #13 FWD. Would be tight but possible. May need to trade Ryan for cap relief. Also ok moving Rittich for cheaper backup to save cap.

Just some thoughts to move along discussion.

Columbus is getting thoroughly fleeced in this deal. They are giving up a guy who is looking more and more like a number 1 center, and all they are getting in return is Mittlestadt and a 5th round pick. Mittlestadt's value has plummeted he has not looked good at all since turning pro. The knock on him has been work ethic. That is an extremely bad trade for Columbus. The 8th overall pick would have to go to Columbus, even then I doubt they do it.

I understand the potential that Dubois has. It is why I suggested him. The biggest issue for Columbus is cap space. Taking current numbers into account, by shifting 1 or 2 players to the minors they might save an extra million or 2 giving them at most 7 million in cap space. Players with cap hits that could be moved to make space will be difficult to move due to cap, so in order to make changes, Columbus will need to give up something for less than value. Dubois is RFA so his value in a trade is a little lower. As stated, he has lots of potential so he is looking at a payday that Columbus can’t afford with flat cap.

Flames would have the room by moving Johnny, Mony and Ryan.

If you think Middlestat value has dropped so much, would Cozens from Buffalo be more in line? I would also be willing to move the CGY 2nd rounder. Due to RFA status, first would be too much to add to the prospect drafted in top 10 plus cap savings that Columbus would get.

• 1 month later...

The 20/21 Flames are starting to take shape.

They have roughly 5.7 mill in cap space with 3 RFA and an additional 3 roster spots to fill. 

To fill those spots;

RFA

Kylington- I would think the Flames play hardball and make him take his QO of 787,500

Gawdin- Again, QO of 787,500

Mangiapane- this negotiation could very difficult, depending on what the term is. He has 45pts in 122 games

Some comparables

Ondrej Kase- 53pts in 119 games. Signed 2.6x3 in 2018, this deal was 3.27% of the cap, right now that would be 2,665,050

Robby Fabbri- 104pts in 21 games. Signed 2.95x2 this offseason. The cap is flat so the numbers would remain the same. 

Let's say Mangiapane signs for 2.7

Add in 2 extra bodies making 700k, and you have 735k. That's really tight to the cap, obviously. Matthew Phillips at 733k is hardly able to fit for example.

Trade Market

Derek Ryan- He's a luxury that I don't think the Flames can afford. He's a really good bottom 6 C, but I think Gawdin is ready to fill his role. Probably looking at a 4th or 5th in return.

Noah Hanifin- this would only be if the Flames are looking to add a forward, a Ryan trade in this scenario leaves you with 3.8 in cap and two spots to fill. It's manageable if you want to have Phillips and Robinson as your 3rd and 4th RW, but to add a bigger name, will require more salary out the door. Bennett is an option too, but I don't know that the Flames have the depth at C to deal both Ryan and Bennett

My Lineup

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm

Tkachuk-Backlund-Mangiapane

Dube-Bennett-?

Lucic- Gawdin?

Giordano-Tanev

Hanifin-Andersson

Valimaki- Kylington

Markstrom
Rittich

Extras- Petrovic and Rinaldo.

If Hanifin stays, I really want to keep him and Andersson together. Would also love another scoring option for the top 6, but it will require creativity. 

Archived