2020-2021 Fantastical Offseason: You be the GM

ABC923

6 hours ago, jjgallow said:

1) What do you pay Mangiapane next season?

The only way I would consider keeping him is if we traded Gaudreau.

2) Pick 3 or fewer current UFAs to bring back.  What do you pay them?

I can't think of 3 to keep.   Brodie and Hamonic should be traded but failing that,if they stay, a lot less.

3) Pick one player from the current roster you trade, and for what (specifics not needed, could be draft picks, forward help, defense, etc)

Whoever put the one-player trade restriction in, I pick them :)        Failing that, Gaudreau.  For a Lot.  3 first rounders I would do.  Or world class prospects on D or in net.

4) Pick one (and only one) UFA to pursue from elsewhere, who will bring in a contract of at least 5M per season.

I don't see why we would want to purposely bring in a $5M contract that we don't have to.

5) Who's the coach next season?

Actually I like the current one.

Trade Gaudreau.  I think he had his best year at 99-points and he's not getting back there again.  The league has figured him out but we can sell him like he's a 90-point player.  Plus, cap friendly contract.  I honestly don't believe he'll stay once he goes UFA because he wants to go out East to Philly or NJ.  Philly signed Hayes to lure Gaudreau and i think that's Gaudreau's plan.

Second point, Tkachuk is our new #1 LW.  Let's accept that.

Mangiapane moving into 2nd line LW seems like such a natural evolution for our team that we should just do that.  Stop trying him on RW and stop trying to move Tkachuk to RW.  Just trade Gaudreau and make room.  We should be able to get some key pieces for Gaudreau.  We have lots of needs.

I would not bring back Brodie and Hamonic and hopefully Gaudreau brings us back a replacement.  We have to cut costs.  Both those players will be looking at +25% raises.  I think Andersson could graduate onto the top pair with Giordano and then we need to find a young and cheap solution for RD depth... maybe bring back Forbot and Gustafsson.

I would not pursue any UFAs.

I would change the coach though if we could convince Gerard Gallant to coach here.  There was something about the swagger and cockiness of LV Knights that i think the Flames have been missing.  The coach is a big part of that.  Instead, the Flames have had over-confidence and primadonna arrogance for too long.  Someone like Mangiapane or Dube could be molded into a Marchessault-type impact player.  The Knights play a disciplined team game and that benefits players like Bennett and Jankowski who wanders aimlessly too much.  Generally speaking though, Gallant is a "if you play well then you get ice time" type of coach.  We need that.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I tend to think that Gaudreau's season was a one-off.

His shooting % dipped.

His linemates did not put up the usual numbers.

Suggesting that the league "figured him out" is just wrong.

I do agree that Tkachuk is most able to take on a #1 role, but that doesn't mean you should trade a Gaudreau.

Very doubtful that you become a better trade as a result of that trade.

Mangiapane is capable to hitting 50 points, regardless of where he plays.

I often wonder what it would look like if you swapped Backlund with Monahan.

Backlund gives JH better possession to work with, and he still has Lindholm as a finisher.

Monahan gets the advantage of playing with two players that play well without the puck.

They also are good at going to the net.

As far as FA's, there are going to be a lot.

Petrilangelo is about the only one I consider a game changer.

If that's the case you don't need Brodie or Hamonic.

Gio, Petrilangelo, Ras, Kylington, Forbort, Hanifin.

And we have some real wild cards signed, probably starting in Stockton. 

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

His shooting % dipped.

His linemates did not put up the usual numbers.

Suggesting that the league "figured him out" is just wrong.

I do agree that Tkachuk is most able to take on a #1 role, but that doesn't mean you should trade a Gaudreau.

Very doubtful that you become a better trade as a result of that trade.

Mangiapane is capable to hitting 50 points, regardless of where he plays.

I often wonder what it would look like if you swapped Backlund with Monahan.

Backlund gives JH better possession to work with, and he still has Lindholm as a finisher.

Monahan gets the advantage of playing with two players that play well without the puck.

They also are good at going to the net.

As far as FA's, there are going to be a lot.

Petrilangelo is about the only one I consider a game changer.

If that's the case you don't need Brodie or Hamonic.

Gio, Petrilangelo, Ras, Kylington, Forbort, Hanifin.

And we have some real wild cards signed, probably starting in Stockton. 

I think JG played disinterested hockey this year. If his family had health problems, I could see why. My dad almost died in October and it felt like a nuke hit me. Because he lived in Kelowna and me in Vancouver I wasn’t able to see him enough and could only find out what the nurses updated one of my siblings do they could update us. We also had to choose whether to keep him on life support or not. He was in ICU from October until February until he passed. Mid-January was when things started to feel almost normal. I felt like a zombie! Then in Feb we found out he had a day, it happened so fast. 

It sounds like Gaudreau’s family has had a lot going on. Didn’t his dad have a health scare and his grandfather past away about a month before the stoppage? Gaudreau looked like he had other things on his mind.

I do think that teams have figured him out. It shows late in the season when games matter most and in the playoffs when stopping him is most important. The thing about him is, he’s good enough to still get a point here and there. The  Flames need him to get multipoint games too much to succeed. 

3 hours ago, travel_dude said:

His shooting % dipped.

Saying he shoots like a girl is an insult to girls.  Gaudreau plays with a 55 flex stick according to the link to follow.

He uses a low flex stick for better stick handling and feel.  He gets nothing on his shots.  His shooting percentage should be 3% at best.  If he's not shooting from within 6 feet, he has no chance.

https://www.bardown.com/9-nhl-players-that-use-unusually-low-flex-sticks-1.949446

9 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Yes it does.  If we were stacked in every position then sure.  But we are not.  We have needs everywhere.  We have two #1 LW and so, let's get some balance.

We need better RD and RW.  Also, a name like Eichel is floating out there.  We have to try at least.

7 hours ago, robrob74 said:

I think JG played disinterested hockey this year. If his family had health problems, I could see why. My dad almost died in October and it felt like a nuke hit me. Because he lived in Kelowna and me in Vancouver I wasn’t able to see him enough and could only find out what the nurses updated one of my siblings do they could update us. We also had to choose whether to keep him on life support or not. He was in ICU from October until February until he passed. Mid-January was when things started to feel almost normal. I felt like a zombie! Then in Feb we found out he had a day, it happened so fast. 

It sounds like Gaudreau’s family has had a lot going on. Didn’t his dad have a health scare and his grandfather past away about a month before the stoppage? Gaudreau looked like he had other things on his mind.

I do think that teams have figured him out. It shows late in the season when games matter most and in the playoffs when stopping him is most important. The thing about him is, he’s good enough to still get a point here and there. The  Flames need him to get multipoint games too much to succeed. 

Sorry to hear about your loss Rob.

But I agree Gaudreau wants to go to Philly/NJ as UFA for family reasons.  There is a lot of smoke so there must be fire.  You don't hear the same coming from Monahan, Lindholm, Hanifin, etc etc.  You only hear this from Gaudreau.  So it's probably true.  

In fact, we hear the opposite about Brodie and Hamonic who want to play in Calgary.  We don't cast this off as just rumours.  There is truth behind it.

If BT let's Gaudreau walk for nothing then he will never be forgiven.

10 hours ago, robrob74 said:

My sincere condolences and sympathies to you and your family Rob. 

4 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Sorry to hear about your loss Rob.

But I agree Gaudreau wants to go to Philly/NJ as UFA for family reasons.  There is a lot of smoke so there must be fire.  You don't hear the same coming from Monahan, Lindholm, Hanifin, etc etc.  You only hear this from Gaudreau.  So it's probably true.  

In fact, we hear the opposite about Brodie and Hamonic who want to play in Calgary.  We don't cast this off as just rumours.  There is truth behind it.

If BT let's Gaudreau walk for nothing then he will never be forgiven.

1 hour ago, lou44291 said:

My sincere condolences and sympathies to you and your family Rob. 

Thanks! He was a die hard Leafs fan! It has been a really tough time. It is so weird when we've been months away, and I start seeing so many traits that I get from him, it's almost like being outside of my body watching him. 

I dunno if Johnny really wants out. But it could be like the Harmonic situation; could you blame someone for wanting to be closer to home? Every family is different and connections mean more or less to some. 

BT can't let Johnny go without a haul. He needs to get significant assets in return. Johnny is a guy that can make a team go, especially with the right line mates that could help push the play. He has great chemistry with Monny, but I wonder if he had someone else that moved with the puck better, could he be even better? When they shut him down, Monahan can't do enough to push the play. Is that coaching and strategy? Could other plays free them up when the going gets tough? I just don't see them adjusting enough when play tightens up.

4 hours ago, robrob74 said:

Johnny is a guy that can make a team go, especially with the right line mates that could help push the play. He has great chemistry with Monny, but I wonder if he had someone else that moved with the puck better, could he be even better? When they shut him down, Monahan can't do enough to push the play. Is that coaching and strategy? Could other plays free them up when the going gets tough? I just don't see them adjusting enough when play tightens up.

Trade Gaudreau and Monahan as a combo.  Teams would be more inclined to make the trade knowing the chemistry (and we should be too knowing the loss of chemistry if one of them goes).

I would target Eichel (assuming he's available).

If Philly, then Provorov + Hart.

If NJ, then Hughes.

23 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Saying he shoots like a girl is an insult to girls.  Gaudreau plays with a 55 flex stick according to the link to follow.

He uses a low flex stick for better stick handling and feel.  He gets nothing on his shots.  His shooting percentage should be 3% at best.  If he's not shooting from within 6 feet, he has no chance.

https://www.bardown.com/9-nhl-players-that-use-unusually-low-flex-sticks-1.949446

His shot is "light" the same way Brodie's is to Ras.

Neither JH nor Brodie have a hard shot.

But Gaudreau has a 99% accurate shot. (exaggeration)

He's all about placement.

But that's not the reason he's not scoring.

What does McDavd do differently?

His in-close shooting is 10x higher than it is from a distance.

That's because you never know if he's going high, low, shot or aganst the grain.

Gaudreau doesn't seem to think the puck in the net, just goes for what he has committed to..

He's telegraphing the puck, so the goalie knows how to play it.

4 hours ago, travel_dude said:

That's because you never know if he's going high, low, shot or aganst the grain.

Gaudreau doesn't seem to think the puck in the net, just goes for what he has committed to..

36-goals is probably his career high man.  He's an elite playmaker and passer first and foremost.  Finishing is secondary and honestly average.  Nothing to write home about.  A low shooting percentage is fitting for him because of his low shot power.  Stop suggesting he was a victim of bad luck or something.  He's either scoring from in close on the rush or he's not scoring.

Tkachuk is a way better shooter both smarter and better placement.  In between the legs and stuff.  He's our #1 LW now.  Just accept it.  We need a #2 LW and Mangiapane or Dube fits the bill very well.  We need to trade Gaudreau for a key piece or two elsewhere... Like a #1 C or #1 RD would be great.

5 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

36-goals is probably his career high man.  He's an elite playmaker and passer first and foremost.  Finishing is secondary and honestly average.  Nothing to write home about.  A low shooting percentage is fitting for him because of his low shot power.  Stop suggesting he was a victim of bad luck or something.  He's either scoring from in close on the rush or he's not scoring.

Tkachuk is a way better shooter both smarter and better placement.  In between the legs and stuff.  He's our #1 LW now.  Just accept it.  We need a #2 LW and Mangiapane or Dube fits the bill very well.  We need to trade Gaudreau for a key piece or two elsewhere... Like a #1 C or #1 RD would be great.

4 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I think Gaudreau’s shooting percentage is in direct correlation to how he’s going. If he’s on then he’s using his line mates more and has creativity. When he’s off he has less options. So when he’s creative he creates shooting options for others, which ultimately creates a shot for himself - his percentage goes up.

Gaudreau started scoring more if late because he started to play engaged hockey/his game. For the first half he wasn’t skating rendering line mates useless. 

I think when he’s creative he doesn’t telegraph the shots as much. But when he’s off, he does.  

2 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I think Gaudreau’s shooting percentage is in direct correlation to how he’s going. If he’s on then he’s using his line mates more and has creativity. When he’s off he has less options. So when he’s creative he creates shooting options for others, which ultimately creates a shot for himself - his percentage goes up.

Gaudreau started scoring more if late because he started to play engaged hockey/his game. For the first half he wasn’t skating rendering line mates useless. 

I think when he’s creative he doesn’t telegraph the shots as much. But when he’s off, he does.  

Oh and he was probably 3 for 25 on the breakaway this season.

3 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Oh and he was probably 3 for 25 on the breakaway this season.

I am not dismissing anything, just that he plays better when he’s using guys and moving his feet. He is a better playmaker than a shooter.

my problem with his breakaways and shootouts is he doesn’t use his strengths - his edges and skating. He has the ability to move laterally at will and doesn’t get goalies to open up, yet still goes five-hole. Use his stick handling strengths better and get a guy to budge. Playing chicken in a straight line with a goalie, unless you’re Monahan I don’t think there’s a good chance.

On 4/26/2020 at 4:48 PM, robrob74 said:

I am not dismissing anything, just that he plays better when he’s using guys and moving his feet. He is a better playmaker than a shooter.

my problem with his breakaways and shootouts is he doesn’t use his strengths - his edges and skating. He has the ability to move laterally at will and doesn’t get goalies to open up, yet still goes five-hole. Use his stick handling strengths better and get a guy to budge. Playing chicken in a straight line with a goalie, unless you’re Monahan I don’t think there’s a good chance.

Yeah, that's why I was comparing him to McDavid in shooting.  Neither has a rocket.

McD scores the majority of his shots in close.

No reason why Gaudreau couldn't do the same except there is a book on him and he reads that book only.

McD is about 90% on breakaways.

Gaudreau is about 5%.

To me, that is the biggest thing he needs to work on.

If he could score on 1/3 of them he would have about 20 more goals.

As far as his shot goes, I find he is far better from the middle, right slot or right circle.

He has more net to work with.

If he's on LW, he may as well pass.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Yeah, that's why I was comparing him to McDavid in shooting.  Neither has a rocket.

McD scores the majority of his shots in close.

No reason why Gaudreau couldn't do the same except there is a book on him and he reads that book only.

McD is about 90% on breakaways.

Gaudreau is about 5%.

To me, that is the biggest thing he needs to work on.

If he could score on 1/3 of them he would have about 20 more goals.

As far as his shot goes, I find he is far better from the middle, right slot or right circle.

He has more net to work with.

If he's on LW, he may as well pass.

It's weird how he loves that goal-line top-shelf shot from the left and goes for it every few games. If he did that on breakaways he might have more success. It's like you said, if he worked on changing it up it would give him a few more goals. It might open him up in other situations too. This year definitely wasn't that teams figured him out, Gaudreau played himself away from more points by not skating for the first half. I agree with Jagr, that he has the ability to score 100 points per year. 

I don't think it's necessarily because he wants out as much as when there are life forces at work (family stuff), sometimes it's hard to get going. 

I liked listening to the Conroy interview where he was very open to how he got Gaudreau signed, and how little it actually had to do with Connie, other than being there. Even though a lot wasn't a secret, it reiterated how much his family play a role in his life. Sure, he didn't listen to his parents, but they still played a role in his life. Plus Gaudreau's need to keep the signing quiet so that the ceremony the night of the signing would be just about Boston College. I think it made me respect Johnny more, making me think it wasn't a desire to leave, as he seems to have loyalties and he sticks by them, unless he doesn't like Monahan anymore. 😛 

And if he doesn't want to stay in Calgary, I don't blame him wanting to be closer to home. Didn't he play in a league that allowed him to stay with his parents until college? It's not like he was that far from home most of his older teenage years (16-20). 

On 4/28/2020 at 12:20 PM, robrob74 said:

It's weird how he loves that goal-line top-shelf shot from the left and goes for it every few games. If he did that on breakaways he might have more success. It's like you said, if he worked on changing it up it would give him a few more goals. It might open him up in other situations too. This year definitely wasn't that teams figured him out, Gaudreau played himself away from more points by not skating for the first half. I agree with Jagr, that he has the ability to score 100 points per year. 

I don't think it's necessarily because he wants out as much as when there are life forces at work (family stuff), sometimes it's hard to get going. 

I liked listening to the Conroy interview where he was very open to how he got Gaudreau signed, and how little it actually had to do with Connie, other than being there. Even though a lot wasn't a secret, it reiterated how much his family play a role in his life. Sure, he didn't listen to his parents, but they still played a role in his life. Plus Gaudreau's need to keep the signing quiet so that the ceremony the night of the signing would be just about Boston College. I think it made me respect Johnny more, making me think it wasn't a desire to leave, as he seems to have loyalties and he sticks by them, unless he doesn't like Monahan anymore. 😛 

And if he doesn't want to stay in Calgary, I don't blame him wanting to be closer to home. Didn't he play in a league that allowed him to stay with his parents until college? It's not like he was that far from home most of his older teenage years (16-20). 

I also think he could score a heck of a lot if he didn't always pass up shots for passes.

Often he has the puck when the goalie is out of position and he looks pass.

But, I think he has about 30 goals untapped because he hasn't changed his breakaway move.

When there was no book on him, he got less chances but scored on more of them.

That's because he alternated the final touch based on the goalie position.

He's not doing that now, so the book is easy to read.

I don't get the problem with him.

He knows it's not working.

Most of the time there isn't anyone even affecting his shot.

IMHO, he needs to spend about an hour of practice on that one aspect.

Forget the drills, stay on the ice and do it.

On 5/4/2020 at 11:50 AM, travel_dude said:

I also think he could score a heck of a lot if he didn't always pass up shots for passes.

Often he has the puck when the goalie is out of position and he looks pass.

But, I think he has about 30 goals untapped because he hasn't changed his breakaway move.

When there was no book on him, he got less chances but scored on more of them.

That's because he alternated the final touch based on the goalie position.

He's not doing that now, so the book is easy to read.

I don't get the problem with him.

He knows it's not working.

Most of the time there isn't anyone even affecting his shot.

IMHO, he needs to spend about an hour of practice on that one aspect.

Forget the drills, stay on the ice and do it.

Yup, I agree, which is all a part of him keeping the other team guessing. They do tend to get too pretty sometimes, especially at home. If they were to simplify a bit more they'd probably score more goals. I think my biggest thing would be to have them play engaged on the ice. I wanna see some try hard, and I don't mind when the other teams bring it as well, then you know it's a game! 

Is the team's strategy that hard to grasp? I feel like they play and learn it one year, and then seem to have to relearn it the next. I guess it's what happens when everyone doesn't buy-in? Maybe we just need a few more horses, guys that know how to rev it up. 

I wonder if they work to change the guaranteed bonuses that a lot of the players are signing these past few years as a way of getting the money in situations like this. Burke thinks that even if the cap remains the same, players will have a lot of escrow to pay back in the end. It makes sense as the revenue generated goes 50/50 between owners and players. One of the biggest problems is these bonuses. It's my idea anyway that they may have to deal with the bonus structure in new contracts.

What will negotiating new contracts in this offseason look like? Will they have to negotiate escrow money, so say someone gets 6m a year, that is what it looks like on a regular year, but because of the current NHL economy, they can't get 100% of the contract? 

The 4 biggest areas that need to be addressed this offseason IMO

• Top 4 D- either re-sign Brodie, Hamonic or look for a UFA
  • Backup goalie- try to bring Talbot back if not, Khudobin, Brossoit and Greiss are all good options too
  • RW- Still need at least one more RW that can play in a top 6 role
  • 3rd line C- This is more-so to get Dube away from Lucic. If they want Ryan-Lucic that's fine, but I want Dube to play in an elevated role next year with more skill.

17 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

• Backup goalie- try to bring Talbot back if not, Khudobin, Brossoit and Greiss are all good options too
  • 3rd line C- This is more-so to get Dube away from Lucic. If they want Ryan-Lucic that's fine, but I want Dube to play in an elevated role next year with more skill.

I would see what Brodie needs. Hamonic might be too much for what he brings. We need his toughness, but Andersson brings that, just not as tough. 

Giordano, Brodie

Valamaki/Hanifin, Andersson

Valamaki/Kylington, Gustafson

i likes what I saw from Gusto on the PP. it just moved a bit better. 

I feel for back up we need a 1B. I don’t mind Talbot. I don’t think Rittich has proven he can play big minutes, but I like him. So I vote for Talbot or someone that can play up to 50% of the games.

I like your idea on a 3C. I like Ryan but you’re right, if they can get Dube playing a different game it’d be good for him. 

Does Mangiapane stay top 6? 
what if we got a #2C and pushed Backlund down to 3C? They’d have to play good with Tkachuk though. 

4 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Does Mangiapane stay top 6? 
what if we got a #2C and pushed Backlund down to 3C? They’d have to play good with Tkachuk though. 

I think Mangiapane can play top 6, he did essentially all of his damage with limited PP time, which is a great sign but there's still a need for more skill in this top 9.

A top 6 centre would be an excellent addition. The only one I can sort of see possibly being available is Anthony Cirelli from TB, given the Lightning have no cap space and tons of NTC's. I would be willing to give up a lot for him.

Either way I think next season the Flames need to put Dube with more skill around him or you risk turning him into Lazar. They clearly have high hopes for Dube, so they need to play him with some talent. 

8 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I think Mangiapane can play top 6, he did essentially all of his damage with limited PP time, which is a great sign but there's still a need for more skill in this top 9.

A top 6 centre would be an excellent addition. The only one I can sort of see possibly being available is Anthony Cirelli from TB, given the Lightning have no cap space and tons of NTC's. I would be willing to give up a lot for him.

Either way I think next season the Flames need to put Dube with more skill around him or you risk turning him into Lazar. They clearly have high hopes for Dube, so they need to play him with some talent. 

what about trying Bennett, Dube together? Both can play C. I’d put Bennett at C. 

Although they’d need a RW. 

Id like them to try Jankowski at W as he seems to have natural offensive instincts but seems to have taken a step backwards as a C. Maybe wing would ease things for him. Or try him with Monahan and Gaudreau. It was a nothing game when they played them together but he played good with him. I get he's not that player. 

10 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

To be more specific, I think we need a RHS RD to replace Brodie and Hamonic.  Don't bring them back.  Brodie will be expensive (I guess $6.5-mil-per) and Hamonic didn't live up to expectations but wants a raise too.

Rasmus Andersson will play top 4 RD.  We need 1 more.

9 hours ago, The_People1 said:

To be more specific, I think we need a RHS RD to replace Brodie and Hamonic.  Don't bring them back.  Brodie will be expensive (I guess $6.5-mil-per) and Hamonic didn't live up to expectations but wants a raise too.

Rasmus Andersson will play top 4 RD.  We need 1 more.

If Brodie is going to be expensive but the cap doesn't go up, then we have a problem.

We don't have a top 4 RD.

We would need to sign one in FA, which is going to cost at least as much as Brodie.

For as much as I cursed him in some games, he was a top player.

Sign him (without a NTC or NMC) unless there is some prize player out there that can be had for the same dollars.

If you have internal players that are better, trade him for something else we need.

The side benefit is that you can expose him and he leads the list for an expansion team.

Archived