COVID-19 and NHL

The_People1

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Worth a read, interesting how the equipment guys set up the whole team by putting Marsblade rollerblade wheels on the bottom of their regular skate boots to make it a little nicer for them while they try and stay in shape...

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/nhl/flames-captain-giordano-imagining-touchdown-type-celebrations-after-goals/ar-BB14q1f2?ocid=spartandhp

1 hour ago, Carty said:

NHL, NHLPA working on 24-team conference-based playoff setup...

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhl-nhlpa-working-24-team-conference-based-playoff-setup/

31 Thoughts: Player vote underway on NHL playoff system...

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-thoughts-whats-holding-nhl-playoffs-proposal/

I was wondering where you've been, Carty. Now, we've just got to find @Cowtownguy

Love. 

8 hours ago, The_People1 said:

End of July?  What's the point then??

Sounds like the league also wants to start in December... possibly permanently.

Their argument is that they don't like competing with NFL and college football in October. The problem is December is playoff time for college and the stretch run for the NFL... doesn't quite add up

from:   https://www.nhlpa.com/news/1-21858/nhlpa-statement-on-return-to-play-format

"The Executive Board of the National Hockey League Players’ Association (NHLPA) has authorized further negotiations with the NHL on a 24-team return to play format to determine the winner of the 2020 Stanley Cup. Several details remain to be negotiated and an agreement on the format would still be subject to the parties reaching agreement on all issues relevant to resuming play."

Here's a clip...

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/elliotte-friedman-chris-johnston-nhlpas-return-play-vote-instant-analysis/

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Their argument is that they don't like competing with NFL and college football in October. The problem is December is playoff time for college and the stretch run for the NFL... doesn't quite add up

Plus, if they continue an 82 game schedule then the ice gets bad close to playoff time as it currently sits. If they started two months later then the ice is going to be terrible for the last 20-30 games and the playoffs. It doesn't make sense. But I think they're just justifying it starting later and keeping it later so that they could have a full 82 game schedule and they cannot get the league schedule back on track to start training camps in September. 

They could have a harder schedule for a year or two. Not have the mandated 9 game day break.... No all-star game or olympics, and no rest days longer than two days. Some days we'd go 5 days without any flames hockey. So I think it's back-to-back nights, every other night, or only possible 2 days off. That's the only way they can get them back on schedule, and still have a decent amount of off-season.

On 5/22/2020 at 12:09 AM, Heartbreaker said:

I was wondering where you've been, Carty. Now, we've just got to find @Cowtownguy

Love. 

Been playing a lot more guitar lately to stay amused, picked up a really nice Koa wood Ovation Celebrity Elite acoustic...   and a little Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 18 and a H & K cab with a single Vintage 30 in it  so I can pick up one of the electrics and play without driving the neighbors crazy since they are all home most the time these days...

Been wondering about how Cowtown is doing too, I hope that he's been getting through this raccoon virus ok...

22 hours ago, The_People1 said:

End of July?  What's the point then??

From a pure hockey standpoint or purity of the game standpoint, ya this is dumb. 

But for a league facing millions of dollars in losses I 100% understand why they are finding a way at all costs. 

The problem with all this is that at this point the players have been off for months.

Even with 3 weeks of camp the playoffs would likely be a gong show because the players are no longer in season-end form.

Also, with the proposition of the condensed schedule next season (no bye-week, no allstar break) the players will be so gassed by 2021 playoffs that tournament would again not be the type of playoffs anyone is used to.

Just my opinion though, and I totally understand the money factor.

I fully understand the money aspect of the league wanting to come back.

What I don't understand is why they would want to go with 2 hub cities and here's why;

Clearly the league needs to have every game on tv to make up for lost revenue, you need to have 6 games a day, 3 in each hub. Well as good as T-Mobile and Rogers are, there's no way the ice surface can handle 3 NHL games in a day. I say this as someone who has spent years working in arenas. Next time you go to a Flames or even a jr game, watch the ice as they flood it after the 1st period, the ice is really chewed up, despite being flooded. There's no way the arena crew can maintain the ice to NHL standard for 3 games a day while also factoring in the heat of summer. Ice is an issue every cup final despite there only being one game a day.

Unless they are planning on using practice facilities for games, EDM has a surface attached to Rogers and VGK has a nice facility. But I doubt they will have suitable vantage points for a television broadcast. Vegas has the Orleans arena where the Wranglers played, but again not NHL quality. Rexall isn't an option anymore either

3 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I fully understand the money aspect of the league wanting to come back.

What I don't understand is why they would want to go with 2 hub cities and here's why;

Clearly the league needs to have every game on tv to make up for lost revenue, you need to have 6 games a day, 3 in each hub. Well as good as T-Mobile and Rogers are, there's no way the ice surface can handle 3 NHL games in a day. I say this as someone who has spent years working in arenas. Next time you go to a Flames or even a jr game, watch the ice as they flood it after the 1st period, the ice is really chewed up, despite being flooded. There's no way the arena crew can maintain the ice to NHL standard for 3 games a day while also factoring in the heat of summer. Ice is an issue every cup final despite there only being one game a day.

Unless they are planning on using practice facilities for games, EDM has a surface attached to Rogers and VGK has a nice facility. But I doubt they will have suitable vantage points for a television broadcast. Vegas has the Orleans arena where the Wranglers played, but again not NHL quality. Rexall isn't an option anymore either

I wonder if Edmonton could use the Northlands for some of the games. Having two NHL arenas that are equiped for TV would help get more games played.

IF they go with a Canadian hub (1 or more), the players have to self-isolate for 14 days.

That is much more difficult than what the players going into US hub cities have to deal with.

The isolation period in the US has been waived for athletes.

For Canadian teams it's more problematic.

Foreign players have to face the isolation period.

If testing is where it needs to be, then why do you worry about isolation to begin with?

Test every player as they report, including staff and families that are part of the enterage.

As for sites, Calgary is out due to local rules.

EDM has two runks in the same building, but the 2nd is a community style with no good sight lines.

As far as hotel, I believe the closest had 364 rooms.  That's not nearly enough to host 6 teams with personnel and families.

Vegas is an obvious choice.

They could house 12 teams n hotels.

I'm not a big fan of the way the seeds are designed.

WPG to start in a 5 games series.

Ugg.

Mind you, no Big Buff this time.

We have a chance, but our shooters would need to be rust free.

Rittich might be okay, as he would probably keep us in games.

On 3/21/2020 at 8:31 PM, The_People1 said:

When do we get the mark of the beast?  Lol

My theory on toilet paper...

This virus started to hit Hong Kong late-December to early-January.  People there were beginning to bunker down.  Hong Kong has gone through a history of episodes like SARS, H5N1, Avian Flu, etc, etc... they have experience.  We've probably all seen videos online of line-ups around an entire block for masks. 

Understanding that Hong Kong is a "city-state" that does not have natural resources and relies almost entirely on imports for goods... one day, some random dude that nobody even knows who he is, started a rumour.  This rumour was, toilet paper shipments from China will completely stop because the Chinese factory may be contaminated with Covid-19.  

This created a frenzy and within 24 hours, Hong Kong sold out of toilet paper.

Both because it was humourus and unbelievable, western media picked up on it.  News of Hong Kong selling out of toilet paper went viral on Twitter, Youtube, and evening news in America and the West.  Hong Kong was completely sold out of toilet paper for a week.  Of course a week later, the next shipment of toilet paper came to Hong Kong and to this day, shops are stocked to the ceiling with toilet paper and no one is buying because people have already stocked up months worth of it all at once.

In hindsight, Hong Kong was a victim of what may have been the most brilliant marketing campaign ever conducted on mankind.  It was so brilliant in fact, that it subliminally programmed even the West to ponder, "what if I ran out of toilet paper?"  Did you ask yourselves?  It's not even that you NEED to buy so much.  It's the fear that others buy it all and you have none left.

It's absolutely laughable that Canada has so much wood and lumber that we fear we will run out of toilet paper.  It's literally the last thing to worry about here.  Yet, we all saw the initial story about Hong Kong and we didn't want to be that guy who has to go over to the neighbours to ask for a roll.

A good portion of Asia don't even use toilet paper. They have what are known as squat seats. They don't sit, they squat over a hole. After done they have some form of water barrel with a ladle and wash themselves after. 

Saves all them trees and bamboo.

6 hours ago, travel_dude said:

IF they go with a Canadian hub (1 or more), the players have to self-isolate for 14 days.

That is much more difficult than what the players going into US hub cities have to deal with.

The isolation period in the US has been waived for athletes.

For Canadian teams it's more problematic.

Foreign players have to face the isolation period.

If testing is where it needs to be, then why do you worry about isolation to begin with?

Test every player as they report, including staff and families that are part of the enterage.

As for sites, Calgary is out due to local rules.

EDM has two runks in the same building, but the 2nd is a community style with no good sight lines.

As far as hotel, I believe the closest had 364 rooms.  That's not nearly enough to host 6 teams with personnel and families.

Vegas is an obvious choice.

They could house 12 teams n hotels.

I'm not a big fan of the way the seeds are designed.

WPG to start in a 5 games series.

Ugg.

Mind you, no Big Buff this time.

We have a chance, but our shooters would need to be rust free.

Rittich might be okay, as he would probably keep us in games.

I got tested for covid and i got the results the very next day. Test them all on arrival. Then isolate for a few days. Test again maybe a week later in case they caught it on the way to their hub cities.

12 hours ago, robrob74 said:

I got tested for covid and i got the results the very next day. Test them all on arrival. Then isolate for a few days. Test again maybe a week later in case they caught it on the way to their hub cities.

I find it unusual that we have influxes of cases every day, not so much out west, but in the two biggest provinces.

Community spread seems unlikely considering all the restrictions to daily life exist.

Then again, we have planes full of relatives of Canadians coming to Canada every day.

Doesn't take much thought to understand where the infection source is.

In any event, the rules regarding play will be interesting.

Will they be required to wear full face shields to play?

Spitting is a problem, but almost impossible to do anything other than a spit bucket.

Do they test after every game, so there off day gives them the results?

It's funny because of all the NHL players and team personnel, we had maybe 6 cases league-wide.

On 5/23/2020 at 10:16 AM, Thebrewcrew said:

I could see the networks strongly opposing this.  For starters in Canada, would Rogers want to put up the hockey season up against the Blue Jays for the majority of their season.  Would U.S networks want to run into summer where you are competing against either a Summer Olympics or World Cup every other year, plus the blockbuster movie season and summer in general.  Also in Calgary if playoffs started in July would a series be put on hold or moved if it fell during Stampede?

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

I find it unusual that we have influxes of cases every day, not so much out west, but in the two biggest provinces.

Community spread seems unlikely considering all the restrictions to daily life exist.

Then again, we have planes full of relatives of Canadians coming to Canada every day.

Doesn't take much thought to understand where the infection source is.

In any event, the rules regarding play will be interesting.

Will they be required to wear full face shields to play?

Spitting is a problem, but almost impossible to do anything other than a spit bucket.

Do they test after every game, so there off day gives them the results?

It's funny because of all the NHL players and team personnel, we had maybe 6 cases league-wide.

I bet they could get same day results, if they create a lab that's on site of the testing facility. I drove through at Central Park in Burnaby at 4pm and the results were in by 10am the next day. Just have the team medical staff to administer the tests and then go about their business. 

26 minutes ago, sak22 said:

I could see the networks strongly opposing this.  For starters in Canada, would Rogers want to put up the hockey season up against the Blue Jays for the majority of their season.  Would U.S networks want to run into summer where you are competing against either a Summer Olympics or World Cup every other year, plus the blockbuster movie season and summer in general.  Also in Calgary if playoffs started in July would a series be put on hold or moved if it fell during Stampede?

Could they work the playoffs into the Stampede schedule?

55 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Could they work the playoffs into the Stampede schedule?

Not entirely impossible but not ideal for either party.  The Stampeders never even play a home game and they are well off the grounds, most years they are pretty booked at the dome with concerts.  I just don't believe the Stampede board would want to take anything away from the Stampede getting all the attention.

Archived