Dustin Wolf

1 hour ago, ABC923 said:

It's great to see.  Hopefully he doesn't drop off the way Gilles and Ortio have in the past (and maybe Parsons as well).  I don't see it though.  With a bit of luck, we'll see Wolf as our starter in 3-4 seasons, and for a long time.

I'm not ready to give up on Parsons yet either. Hopefully he is in a good place mentally, and enjoying the game again.

I think being a 7th rounder has really lit a fire in Wolf and he is ready to make the hockey world pay for overlooking him. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

What a calendar year it's been for Dustin Wolf, holy moly. If there's hardware for a junior goalie he won it this year. 

Once again, what a steal. For two consecutive seasons, he has been hands down the best goalie in the WHL... I fully acknowledge how solid Everett plays defensively, but he isn't putting these numbers up as an overage. For a goalie to put up those kind of numbers as a 17 and 18 year old is unfathomable. He's gonna make a lot of scouts league wide have to answer some tough questions...

Without a doubt he has emerged as one of the best goaltending prospects in the world. I'd say Sorokin is tops, but he's much older and has more pro experience, second could be Askarov once he's drafted, but third could easily be Wolf. Not bad for the 214th pick...

What's even crazier, is Carter Hart had a ton of fan-fare when he turned pro. He had a very good WHL career. His last season was unreal, .947 and 1.60, but that was in his 4th WHL season. Through 3 years Wolf has been the superior Jr goalie to Hart, which again is crazy.

I'm not saying Wolf will be in the NHL after only 18 AHL games, but I think he has a real shot at being something special. This is a very exciting prospect

It's a bit of a shame he is so young.  Have to wait another full year before he really has any shot at a NHL game.

They could give him a game at the end of next season, assuming playoffs for WHL are much sooner than NHL.

I would say that his first AHL game will be interesting.

How much does he have to change his game, if any.

Whatevs.  As long as we don't have the goalie coaching carousel of death when he gets here.

Gillies started to somehow get his game back on track, only to see the season end.

He's a UFA that may be extremenly lucky to be offered a contract.

Considering his up and down season you wonder if any team will bother.

I say that like he was really bad.

Not so, but you would have hoped he would have less down games than up.

Zag was better at winning, but he let in a ton.

It's a work in progress thing.

I just don't know what the thinking is.

We have 3 goalies needing deals.

A RFa with arb, a RFA and a group 6 UFA.

Two are coming off the same basic money deals.

One is about 100k more.

Ages 22 24 and 26.

I would keep Zag and Parsons myself, but that's just because I think Gillies has come about as afr as he can.

Back to Wolfy.

He faced the 10th most shots in the league, but blew out everyone including Hofer.

Wins is the only place where he was even tied.

No equal in the OHL.

I just can't fathom where he will be as a 21 year old.

I think a lot of people discount it.

As an example, Brossoit was 917 in his ffianl jr year.

His third pro season he played 8 games and was 928...with the Oilers.

He's been up and down, but has always been a relaiable backup.

The teams in front of him affect his play.

If you project Wolf from Brossoit (a lanky kid then), you have a 928 goalie in his first NHL taste.

That's not even allowing for the better jr record.

I don't think it's a stretch to suggest he will be the best backup we have seen.

The AHL should be an early gauge of his win capacity. 

12 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

It's a bit of a shame he is so young.  Have to wait another full year before he really has any shot at a NHL game.

They could give him a game at the end of next season, assuming playoffs for WHL are much sooner than NHL.

Whatevs.  As long as we don't have the goalie coaching carousel of death when he gets here.

Gillies started to somehow get his game back on track, only to see the season end.

One is about 100k more.

Ages 22 24 and 26.

I would keep Zag and Parsons myself, but that's just because I think Gillies has come about as afr as he can.

Back to Wolfy.

He faced the 10th most shots in the league, but blew out everyone including Hofer.

No equal in the OHL.

If you project Wolf from Brossoit (a lanky kid then), you have a 928 goalie in his first NHL taste.

I don't think it's a stretch to suggest he will be the best backup we have seen.

It really is a shame he has to go back to Everett, he has nothing left to prove. However, the cancelled season could be beneficial to fuel him as he still has a chance to do what Hart didn't.. win a WHL title. I'm guessing that's his biggest goal next season.

I hate projecting goalies because it's such a volatile position, but my projection would be Saros. Similar body type and playing style.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

One is about 100k more.

Ages 22 24 and 26.

Back to Wolfy.

No equal in the OHL.

not that he’d be ready but could they keep him up for a 9game stint like they would any other player?

Technically yes they can keep him up for the 9 games. Don't see it as worthwhile though other than seeing him in an NHL game for the fans sake. 

I've read some soft reports out there that Zagidulin may be heading back to the KHL. Nothing super reliable but it was out there that he was in negotiations with a team there. I recall someone telling me on a recent call Treliving did say they want Parsons in the A next year getting starts. 

Something I find interesting is Zagidulin posted the same save% as Parsons did in Stockton two seasons ago. Granted Zagidulin played 10 more games, but Parsons played behind a Stockton team that was horrible defensively. Even Gillies was .889 that season. I still think Parsons has a chance.

Anyways, back to Wolf

https://www.sportsnet.ca/960/pinder-steinberg/jordan-sigalet-talks-prepping-nhls-return-dustin-wolf-flames-goalies/

55 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Technically yes they can keep him up for the 9 games. Don't see it as worthwhile though other than seeing him in an NHL game for the fans sake. 

I've read some soft reports out there that Zagidulin may be heading back to the KHL. Nothing super reliable but it was out there that he was in negotiations with a team there. I recall someone telling me on a recent call Treliving did say they want Parsons in the A next year getting starts. 

I'm not really sure why they signed him to a one year deal.

At the time Gillies was not a standout, so they needed to be thinking forward.

As a RFA with arb rights, it sets him up to fail to agree to terms with CGY.

Perhaps that was what he wanted, or it may be a rule for unsigned goalies.

Either way, I don't know if we have seen the best of what he can offer.

He would have had a massive adjustment to smaller rinks and increased traffic/bumping.

I would like to see the Heat platoon Zag and Parsons.

I know Gillies has looked better, but I just don't know what he is.

He could have another gear, but I just don't know.

He has some if the right things to be successful, but he has known weaknesses.

He's not old, but defineitely not young

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

He would have had a massive adjustment to smaller rinks and increased traffic/bumping.

It's a rule for an entry level contract. Entry level contracts go based on age and if you are under the age of 25 you have to sign an ELC. he was considered 24 years old for the purposes of his contract so he had to sign a one year deal ELC. 

From everything i've read/heard he had a decent season. It was up and down but there were some flashes and also i think Stockton was a mess defensively this year so that should be factored in too. I have no problem bringing him back, just putting it out there that there are some suggestions he wants to go back. 

I'd run Parsons and Schenider next year in Stockton if it were my call but I certainly would be disappointed if its Zags and Parsons. either way, Parsons needs a bigger role and the organization should not give up on him by any means. 

21 minutes ago, cross16 said:

It's a rule for an entry level contract. Entry level contracts go based on age and if you are under the age of 25 you have to sign an ELC. he was considered 24 years old for the purposes of his contract so he had to sign a one year deal ELC. 

From everything i've read/heard he had a decent season. It was up and down but there were some flashes and also i think Stockton was a mess defensively this year so that should be factored in too. I have no problem bringing him back, just putting it out there that there are some suggestions he wants to go back. 

I'd run Parsons and Schenider next year in Stockton if it were my call but I certainly would be disappointed if its Zags and Parsons. either way, Parsons needs a bigger role and the organization should not give up on him by any means. 

Oh for sure about Parsons.

I would prefer to see them go with Zag and Parsons in the AHL myself.

He had a good year as far as wins go, but the team was helping by scoring a ton of goals.

No doubt he would have some leverage, and his goal was to play in the NHL.

I wouldn't call it a failed experiment.

It takes Euros longer to adjust to NA ice.

I don't know what to make of Schneider.

Better SA% in the AHL.

But that could be an illusion, as it was some time ago when the team was a bit better defensively.

On 6/10/2020 at 9:34 AM, travel_dude said:

The other thing I wondered was if Gillies needed glasses as he was getting beat on a lot of really far distanced shots. Is that not being engaged or sight?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/16/2020 at 2:31 PM, cross16 said:

No surprise but Wolf is invited to the summer camp for World Juniors.

On another positive note, so is last year's 5th rounder Josh Nodler. 

Summer Showcase cancelled.....

USA Hockey announced it will not stage the 2020 World Junior Summer Showcase that was set for July 24-31 at USA Hockey Arena in Plymouth, Mich.
11:30 AM · Jul 15, 2020

• 3 months later...
22 hours ago, zima said:

Yes sorry im on drugs or should be 

All good. I think Parsons was back in the day too so that's why I was asking.

But your right, he was 5th. Behind only Askarov, Sorokin, Knight and Connor Ingram according to Scott Wheeler. 

• 5 months later...
25 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

He is 2nd all time on the WHL shutout list with 22, 4 behind the leader. I think he can break the record.

Wolf has 22 shutouts in 129 games, while Hart had 26 in 190 games.

As noted, he needs 4 to tie and 5 to break the record, with around 22 games remaining in his team's schedule.

not enough games for me to get excited but this is looking promising.  Another great year in the WHL would be good.  

To be honest his brief appearance in the AHL was not fantastic, maybe everything is for the best and he needs that extra year in WHL, really hard to say.

39 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

not enough games for me to get excited but this is looking promising.  Another great year in the WHL would be good.  

To be honest his brief appearance in the AHL was not fantastic, maybe everything is for the best and he needs that extra year in WHL, really hard to say.

14 hours ago, cross16 said:

Pretty good start to the year across both leagues for Wolf. That after not playing for some time. 

It's too bad he couldn't have stayed in the A

Ummmmmm did you not see Cross”s post with the stats since the first two games, the first two games in probably over a year? 

I guess a .999 save percentage would be more ideal? Tough crowd! .981 is pretty low. 

by the way, the other team had already played 4 games or something like that prior to the heat and Wolf getting a start in those 6 goals on 12 shots in his first pro games...