2019-2020 Training Camp

cross16

32 minutes ago, ABC923 said:

DSP has been disappointingly awful.  Guys on PTOs should be working their butts off over the summer to try and earn a job.  Rieder has done that, I'm sure someone will give him a contract even if it isn't us.  DSP looks washed up.

Coming into camp, I thought it would come down to DSP or Tuulola to be Hathaway's replacement.  Both struggled.  Tuulola looks like he's not going to be NHL material because he's so slow.  He's "years" away and behind on the depth chart to others like Gawdin and Rucizka who provides similar stuff.  

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Coming into camp, I thought it would come down to DSP or Tuulola to be Hathaway's replacement.  Both struggled.  Tuulola looks like he's not going to be NHL material because he's so slow.  He's "years" away and behind on the depth chart to others like Gawdin and Rucizka who provides similar stuff.  

His issues seem to be fitness, again.

He needs to work with a good conditioning coach so that he cab get to an ideal weight and fitness level.

I think Gawdin has taken a big step since last year.

He was fringe before, now he is making a case for a strong two-way forward.

Ruzicka could be something by this time next year, asssuming he plays the game the same way every night.

Consistency has been his undoing over the years.

I don't know if he'll ever be a more than a 4th line player or even a full time NHL'er, but he has skills.

It is tough to say who will make it, but if Jankowski doesn’t pull up his socks, he is out.

i love Bennett, but Jankowski and Bennett draft pick spots could’ve had us a step further. At least Baertschi turned into Andersson... 

Bennett was the right choice at the time, though.

20 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Rittich played behind a full NHL roster against a mostly AHL roster, Talbot played behind an AHL + Brodie against the Jets top 6. Not a fair comparison. The last game Talbot played well, he was a victim of poor defensive play and bad bounces.

Not true wheeler was out and so too was Laine and the other RFA guy..unless your saying their 2nd line as top 6 

so yes yes he had a watered down support but so too was his opposition..6 GA was not good even under those conditions and it being preseason...he’s showing noncompete and no drive which you do see from Rittich, Geo etc... even in preseason 

1 hour ago, MP5029 said:

Not true wheeler was out and so too was Laine and the other RFA guy..unless your saying their 2nd line as top 6 

so yes yes he had a watered down support but so too was his opposition..6 GA was not good even under those conditions and it being preseason...he’s showing noncompete and no drive which you do see from Rittich, Geo etc... even in preseason 

Your ignoring its a short sampling in the preseason, that his second game was a quality game, or that he has been tapped for the starts where our team is icing a much less experienced squad.  Now you are making stuff up about drive and compete.  It sounds to be like you have some irrational hate on for Talbot, but I would wait until he has 3 or 4 games in the regular season before declaring him a lost cause.  

2 hours ago, MP5029 said:

Actually Wheeler did play in that game and had a goal and an assist.

5 hours ago, robrob74 said:

It is tough to say who will make it, but if Jankowski doesn’t pull up his socks, he is out.

i love Bennett, but Jankowski and Bennett draft pick spots could’ve had us a step further. At least Baertschi turned into Andersson... 

Bennett was the right choice at the time, though.

Ya man.  Bennett was a key pick at a critical point of our rebuild.  Monahan/Bennett was supposed to be our 1A/1B Centers.  And Jankowski was a long term project that was supposed to pay off but nope.

3 hours ago, MP5029 said:

The top line that game was Wheeler, Schief, and Ehlers. The next 6 were all out Laine,Connor out (RFA) and Little was nursing an injury.  Sure the entire top 6 wasnt there but that top line is one of the best in the league.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

Ya man.  Bennett was a key pick at a critical point of our rebuild.  Monahan/Bennett was supposed to be our 1A/1B Centers.  And Jankowski was a long term project that was supposed to pay off but nope.

The sad part with the Flames rebuild is they didn't get a number one center. when you bottom out that's the piece that you want and the piece you need. 

There is no one to really blame for that IMO as it's more a matter of circumstance than anything else, but it's a tricky they have to try and manage moving forward. Here is hoping Monahan can have an ROR like revival to his game at some point. 

With Tkachuk back Peters has already confirmed he's putting the 3M line back together. Could just to be to start but that's the initial plan. Will continue to "move Benny around".

Hopefully can experiment a little more in the regular season once Tkachuk back up to speed but it sure is disappointing that no matter how Bennett plays he's always the first guy to get jerked around the line up. 

10 minutes ago, cross16 said:

The sad part with the Flames rebuild is they didn't get a number one center. when you bottom out that's the piece that you want and the piece you need. 

There is no one to really blame for that IMO as it's more a matter of circumstance than anything else, but it's a tricky they have to try and manage moving forward. Here is hoping Monahan can have an ROR like revival to his game at some point. 

Funny you mention ROR because the St.Louis Blue arguably won a Cup without a top 25 Center and that's unheard of in NHL history.  Most Cup winning teams have two stud Centers, let alone zero.  I think Backlund and ROR are comparable.  Imagine we don't even have Monahan and we win the Cup with Backlund as our first line Center... what?  That's almost what happened in St.Louis.

But maybe that's something we have to get used to.  More NHL teams coming into the league means not enough elite talent to go around for every team.  We may will begin to see teams with depth win over teams that spend money on a few elite players.  Maybe a true #1 Center is not needed but you need four #2 Centers.

2 minutes ago, cross16 said:

With Tkachuk back Peters has already confirmed he's putting the 3M line back together. Could just to be to start but that's the initial plan. Will continue to "move Benny around".

Hopefully can experiment a little more in the regular season once Tkachuk back up to speed but it sure is disappointing that no matter how Bennett plays he's always the first guy to get jerked around the line up. 

I hear ya man.  I was disappointed to hear that from Peters as well.

Bennett - Backlund - Frolik could be a great line.  We should stick with it.

51 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Funny you mention ROR because the St.Louis Blue arguably won a Cup without a top 25 Center and that's unheard of in NHL history.  Most Cup winning teams have two stud Centers, let alone zero.  I think Backlund and ROR are comparable.  Imagine we don't even have Monahan and we win the Cup with Backlund as our first line Center... what?  That's almost what happened in St.Louis.

But maybe that's something we have to get used to.  More NHL teams coming into the league means not enough elite talent to go around for every team.  We may will begin to see teams with depth win over teams that spend money on a few elite players.  Maybe a true #1 Center is not needed but you need four #2 Centers.

I think ROR is closer to Monahan then Backlund. Underrating ROR a little bit there although the point stands.

But should be noted that ROR played like a number 1 center in the playoffs. No different than guys like Cam Ward or Antti Niemi. You can win a cup if you don't have a number one center or number one goalie on paper, so long as you've got players on your roster capable of playing like that. Remains to be seen, for me at least, if Flames have that. 

11 hours ago, MP5029 said:

Talbot was much better last game. One goal was a bing-bong-bang triple deflection to someone standing in front of the net.  The first a defenceman letting it sit for seconds... We’ll see how he does tonight.

Last chance for Dube, Rieder, Rinaldo, Quine, Smith-Pelley, MacDonald, and Kylington to earn a spot, tonight. My guess is that Kylington and Dube are headed to Stockton after the game. I think MacDonald gets a contract and starts the season on the 3rd pairing. I think Rieder gets a contract as well. I think one of Jankowski or Czarnik are going to be traded to free up some cap.

Gaudreau-Monanahan-Lindholm

Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik

Lucic-Ryan-Bennett

Mangiapane-Quine-Rieder

Czarnik

Giordano-Brodie

Hanifin-Hamonic

MacDonald-Andersson

Stone

Rittich

Talbit

I don't think the Flames actually need to trade anyone. Based on the waiver wire I have seen over the past few days with nobody being claimed, I would think that both Czarnik and Jankowski would easily clear waivers. Few teams have the cap space to take on 1 mil plus contracts for nothing which is why there are NHL caliber players, some with decent numbers, who are clearing waivers at this time.

Guys like Wideman, Frk, Clendenning, Gerbe etc. Have all cleared. Czarnik has not done enough to be seen as better than them, nor really Janks. So really unless they choose to waive Brodie, Frolik or someone else of that caliber, I just don't see waivers as an issue right now. If either of Janks or Czarnik go to the minors and Reider, MacDonald, or Rinaldo are signed to league minimum there will be cap savings. No need to trade. If they do get picked up off waivers, then the cap savings increase. Not that I want to lose them, just pointing out the basics.

34 minutes ago, bosn111 said:

I don't think the Flames actually need to trade anyone. Based on the waiver wire I have seen over the past few days with nobody being claimed, I would think that both Czarnik and Jankowski would easily clear waivers. Few teams have the cap space to take on 1 mil plus contracts for nothing which is why there are NHL caliber players, some with decent numbers, who are clearing waivers at this time.

Guys like Wideman, Frk, Clendenning, Gerbe etc. Have all cleared. Czarnik has not done enough to be seen as better than them, nor really Janks. So really unless they choose to waive Brodie, Frolik or someone else of that caliber, I just don't see waivers as an issue right now. If either of Janks or Czarnik go to the minors and Reider, MacDonald, or Rinaldo are signed to league minimum there will be cap savings. No need to trade. If they do get picked up off waivers, then the cap savings increase. Not that I want to lose them, just pointing out the basics.

Janko would not clear waivers.

Very seldom does a team waive a young-ish, bigger, center that is still young and not totally useless.

Big difference than waiving Czarnik.

He's a specialty player.

Some teams might still pick him up as a extra.

EDM has claimed worse plyers.

If you want to waive players and hang onto them, you waive guys like Rieder, Rinaldo and MacDonald; guys ther couldn;t get conracts to begin with.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Janko would not clear waivers.

Very seldom does a team waive a young-ish, bigger, center that is still young and not totally useless.

Big difference than waiving Czarnik.

He's a specialty player.

Some teams might still pick him up as a extra.

EDM has claimed worse plyers.

If you want to waive players and hang onto them, you waive guys like Rieder, Rinaldo and MacDonald; guys ther couldn;t get conracts to begin with.

Do you have a harder time waiving Jankowski over Czarnik? Czarnik didn’t cost the team any picks to acquire. Or is that still a part of asset management to protect him? 

For me, I’ve lost any excitement over Jankowski, and the cap space is almost as valuable as the puck we had to use... really two. So not quite as valuable. 

23 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Do you have a harder time waiving Jankowski over Czarnik? Czarnik didn’t cost the team any picks to acquire. Or is that still a part of asset management to protect him? 

For me, I’ve lost any excitement over Jankowski, and the cap space is almost as valuable as the puck we had to use... really two. So not quite as valuable. 

If I had to choose between the two, I would waive Czarnik.

Not sure either will ever become a very good NHL, but Janko has a better chance.

The pick used to get him is meaningless at this point.

We have two players we got by different means.

If you just want to save cap by having someone claim him, then ya you waive him.

Czarnik might cost you ~200k to bury in the AHL.

16 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

Good to see this game looks to be the final chance for many of the bubble players to make their case.

These announcers tho, ugh.

EDIT: switched to 960 radio feed, much better.

The radio guys in SJ aren't too bad, except a bit homerish.

AK47?  So lame.

Karlsson makes a pass and the player was so amazed he watched it go past him.

I don't know why we bothered dressing these AHL gys.

None of them are really NHL calibre.

The PTO's look bad tonight, for the most part.

Quine and Ras about the best players out there.

Maybe Mangiapane and a couple of others.

Stone?  A better game for him, at least on the PK.

Talbot is the only reasin the game is scoreless.

Archived