MILAN LUCIC

rickross

I am not expecting us to get anything from this trade, but it would be nice to get a compensatory pick.

The danger of opening up the prorated cam of worms, is the bonuses. If they do it for the trades, then the NHLPA and player agents would be looking for compensation for bonuses. It's a slippery slope.

Well for sure any conditions tied to game played should be pro-rated.

Stats not so much.

The statement "making the playoffs" only means that they passed the preliminary round.  That's easy.

BT erred in tying Neal to 21 goals and not just the 10 more goals than Lucic.

If Neal had scored 10 and Lucic 0, it still would have been a win for EDM.

11 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Well for sure any conditions tied to game played should be pro-rated.

Stats not so much.

The statement "making the playoffs" only means that they passed the preliminary round.  That's easy.

BT erred in tying Neal to 21 goals and not just the 10 more goals than Lucic.

If Neal had scored 10 and Lucic 0, it still would have been a win for EDM.

I hate all trade conditions.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Wow, just wow.

That is a welcome surprise.

Poor Holland is probably miffed.

Oilers fans are ticked off haha .

Its definitely a nice surprise.

It will be the 2021 3rd most likely. If they give up this years pick, after the 1st they wouldn’t pick until the 5th. But then again maybe they bite the bullet, and keep next years 3rd in case they need to add at the TDL

EDIT

Upon further review...

EDM is in a really interesting spot. Holland can do no wrong in EDM right now, but they have an alarming lack of picks in the next 2 drafts.

If they give CGY the 2020 3rd

2020-1st, 5th, 6th, 7th

If they give CGY the 2021 3rd

2021- 1st, 4th, 6th(x2), 7th.

If Neal scores in the play-in round I’d feel like it’s a bit more legit. But there were still 10 more games. They should’ve just allowed the play in round games to go for Reg season stats. I get some teams will play 5 games and some. Plus play 3. But players don’t always play a full season anyways.

To a certain extent, I think Holland was telling Tippett to sit Neal as long as he could without impacting the Oilers season.

If they wanted him to play, he would have sooner.

He was due to be back, then disapppeared again.

While there is nothing wrong with a GM impacting a trade condition by not playing someone, it's not really the sprit of it.

Holland came out pretty early and said that they didn't owe any 3rd.

At that point the NHL had not determined those types of deals.

While I may not agree with it, the NHL made a choice based on all of thie things that played into the results.

An arbitor may have come up with the exact same decision.

15 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

EDM is in a really interesting spot. Holland can do no wrong in EDM right now, but they have an alarming lack of picks in the next 2 drafts.

If they give CGY the 2020 3rd

2020-1st, 5th, 6th, 7th

If they give CGY the 2021 3rd

2021- 1st, 4th, 6th(x2), 7th.

That 4th this year for 2 games of Mike Green though.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

To a certain extent, I think Holland was telling Tippett to sit Neal as long as he could without impacting the Oilers season.

While there is nothing wrong with a GM impacting a trade condition by not playing someone, it's not really the sprit of it.

I don't know if Holland was doing anything, James Neal needed that PP to be effective and the PP didn't miss a beat when Neal went down.  Also he was a disaster 5 on 5 where Yamamoto came up and out performed him.  So I don't believe it is Holland, just Neal had an unsustainable 2 months and the Oilers quickly found out they needed better options on the top 6, much like Peters found out in his first camp that he had better options than Neal.

9 minutes ago, sak22 said:

That 4th this year for 2 games of Mike Green though.

I don't know if Holland was doing anything, James Neal needed that PP to be effective and the PP didn't miss a beat when Neal went down.  Also he was a disaster 5 on 5 where Yamamoto came up and out performed him.  So I don't believe it is Holland, just Neal had an unsustainable 2 months and the Oilers quickly found out they needed better options on the top 6, much like Peters found out in his first camp that he had better options than Neal.

Neal was supposedly healthy quite some time before he actually played.

Tippett and Holland are pretty close in their discussions about the team, so I'm just guessing that they sat him for more than one reason.

7 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Holland came out pretty early and said that they didn't owe any 3rd.

At that point the NHL had not determined those types of deals.

While I may not agree with it, the NHL made a choice based on all of thie things that played into the results.

An arbitor may have come up with the exact same decision.

Actually yeah....if the Oilers were sitting Neal that is basically draft manipulation.

It's not the Oiler's first time manipulating the draft so from that perspective maybe the NHL did make the right call.   

• 3 weeks later...

An interesting take and conclusion on the Lucic - Neal swap from an Edmonton writer. 

The picture may change in future years, but at this point one season after the big trade, my painful conclusion is “advantage Calgary”. Sigh.

https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey/did-edmonton-oilers-really-win-the-milan-lucic-for-james-neal-trade-one-year-out-some-sober-second-thought/

30 minutes ago, cross16 said:

read it and my guess is the whole fan base probably feel a bit shafted by them having to play Chicago and the prorated ruling. “Second place in the division didn’t mean” a lot to the NHL. And upset about the prorating of the goals. 

I don’t think any team should be pissed as I feel it was the onus on Edmonton to win the series. If they were actually better than they say or think they are, they’d have won. And I don’t feel any argument should matter because every team that played the playin rounds started from the same place.,the only benefit I see is, teams with injuries prior to the break got healthy.

ok oilers get to play the round robin, they still need to be playoff ready and are probably out by now if Chicago could oust them.

I think the fan base has the right to be upset about the pick, it was a questionable ruling for me too. 

but for how the playoffs worked? ya sorry you can cry me a river on that one. Vegas made quick and easy work of Chicago so I don't really have sympathy for them drawing a bad match-up because it really wasn't. Chicago is not a very good team. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I think the fan base has the right to be upset about the pick, it was a questionable ruling for me too. 

but for how the playoffs worked? ya sorry you can cry me a river on that one. Vegas made quick and easy work of Chicago too. 

my guess though is, Neal had some injuries this year and then was possibly getting healthier. They could’ve gotten him some goals in the last 11 games if he was healthy by then. 

they should’ve allowed the Play-in Rounds count for regular season points/goals. I don’t know if he scored against Chicago. 

34 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

my guess though is, Neal had some injuries this year and then was possibly getting healthier. They could’ve gotten him some goals in the last 11 games if he was healthy by then. 

they should’ve allowed the Play-in Rounds count for regular season points/goals. I don’t know if he scored against Chicago. 

He had 2 in the play in round.  But essentially was a bottom 6 player 5 on 5, so the only difference between Calgary and Edmonton for Neal was that in Edmonton he was gifted time to start based on having nothing else, and slowly lost it by his own gradual decline, whereas Calgary never gifted him the top 6 or top PP and never earned any promotions.  Neal also earned his benching in the elimination game last year, so the fact that benching Lucic tonight isn't even a thought is a win in itself.

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

but for how the playoffs worked? ya sorry you can cry me a river on that one. Vegas made quick and easy work of Chicago so I don't really have sympathy for them drawing a bad match-up because it really wasn't. Chicago is not a very good team. 

I could care less about entitled fans thinking they should get a buy into the playoffs or get a different matchup.

They got the best possible seeding, and chose to play like whiners.

If they had 16 and played according to seeding, they would have played 7th place which was VAN I think.

That would have been worse for their mentality.

Rebuild 1.0 vs Rebuild 3.0 and counting.

They aren't exactly primed to be a better team next season.

Kassian, Neal and Nurse's deals are killing them.