MILAN LUCIC

rickross

Looch showed what he can bring to benefit the team last night...   It was good to see, and he was a wrecking ball on the ice...

So far Looch has 1 more goal than Neal had last season, assists are even at 12...   Neals +/- is -21, considerably worse than anyone on the Flames, and more than double the average for the team...   Neal is still a liability on the ice, and I still don't miss him a bit...

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, cross16 said:

Not surprising, but Ken Holland's understanding is the Oilers will not send the Flames a 3rd rounder if season is not resumed. 

https://www.tsn.ca/ken-holland-edmonton-oilers-to-keep-pick-in-neal-trade-pick-if-season-does-not-resume-1.1464036

Well, even though I agree with his assessment, the NHL is the ones who will make the determination of clauses related to the NHL season.

It's a tough call either way.

The NHL could make the statement that any clauses in contracts are subject to be prorated.

Goalie X plays a certain number of games gets bonus Y.

A player who plays X games or gets Y points in a season gets bonus Z.

Let's put it this way, if the season is decided by the present standings (points percentage first decider), you could make the argument that all other clauses related to the season are prorated. Smith would get his bonus, Flames would get theirs.  Players with bonuses in their contracts would get theirs.

The flip side is that a team has the right to sit a player to prevent a bonus from kicking in.  The letter of the law is any contract (including trades) stipulates what the criteria is.

I doubt there is any language about points percentage or games played prorated to a full season.

• 1 month later...

It certainly belongs in the conversation but i'm a bit surprised it's the worst to be honest. I would rank it behind the Seabrook, Karlsson, Skinner and Neal deals myself. I don't think votes like this give enough credence to the fact that if you want to get out from the Lucic deal it's actually relatively affordable in real dollars and the back end of the structure is team friendly as well. The rest of those deals are much harder to get out from and are not as team friendly in terms of the cash payout.

Bit of a futile debate though as all of them are bad. 

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

And where is Andrew Ladd or Louis Eriksson? All 3 signed very similar contracts back on that July 1 and Lucic has been the better of all 3 of them. Ladd isn't even in the league right now. 

Oh I forgot about Ladd.  Good one.  He's 34 with 4 more years at $5.5 and he can't get back to 50% of his old self because of past injuries.  Complete dead weight who will struggle to hold a 4th line job in the long term.

• 1 month later...

The trade condition on the Lucic/Neal pick is still a topic of discussion. 

From Treliving yesterday: has heard no update and is looking to see what type of language is in the return to play agreement to see what, if anything, is prorated. Sounded a little frustrated that they would not pro rate it as he felt they were on pace to get the pick. doesn't have a sense one way or another how this will go. 

According to Frank Seravalli the NHL is looking into the process of setting up an arbitrator to hear sides on this and potentially look at a solution. 

14 minutes ago, cross16 said:

If I had to guess, I think the NHL will give the Flames a compensatory pick in the 4th or 5th round. That would seem to be fair to me. 

Yeah, I'm thinking the same thing.  No way is Holland going to follow anything other that actual totals in his stance.

I don't even think he would agree to a lesser pick.

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

The trade condition on the Lucic/Neal pick is still a topic of discussion. 

From Treliving yesterday: has heard no update and is looking to see what type of language is in the return to play agreement to see what, if anything, is prorated. Sounded a little frustrated that they would not pro rate it as he felt they were on pace to get the pick. doesn't have a sense one way or another how this will go. 

According to Frank Seravalli the NHL is looking into the process of setting up an arbitrator to hear sides on this and potentially look at a solution. 

Just cancel the trade.  We get Neal back and Oilers get Lucic...

7 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

By this point I suspect Oiler fans soured on Neal as well.  

He was replaced by a kid for one thing.

Even his PP scoring dried up.

I can't imagine they want to keep him long term, and buying him out is almost as caustic.

Maybe they can trade him to PITTS for Jack Johnson.

Or to New York for Strome.

58 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

This would be hilarious.

To be serious for a second though I would not do this. Nice to get the pick but I would still stick with the trade even without it. 

My gut feeling is we are out of luck on the pick.  After all, one could argue that Neal easily could have gone the rest of the season without another goal.  He could have been injured if we played out the stretch, etc.  I hadn't thought about a compensatory pick from the league though.  That might be possible, but my gut still says probably not.

3 minutes ago, ABC923 said:

My gut feeling is we are out of luck on the pick.  After all, one could argue that Neal easily could have gone the rest of the season without another goal.  He could have been injured if we played out the stretch, etc.  I hadn't thought about a compensatory pick from the league though.  That might be possible, but my gut still says probably not.

The problem is that many contracts around the league have bonus pay based on conditions and if the rest of the regular is cancelled, then that's where the argument has to be made for prorating the stats for the remainder of the season.  Otherwise, millions are lost for unfair reasons.

And if one contract adjusts to prorated stats, then what about trades with conditions,...the condition on Neal was performance based.

2 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

The problem is that many contracts around the league have bonus pay based on conditions and if the rest of the regular is cancelled, then that's where the argument has to be made for prorating the stats for the remainder of the season.  Otherwise, millions are lost for unfair reasons.

And if one contract adjusts to prorated stats, then what about trades with conditions,...the condition on Neal was performance based.

I would say my gut feeling extends to all those bonus laden contracts.  Players may just be out of luck; after all, those bonuses don't get paid out if players miss significant time with injury or get scratched from the line-up either.  I think the legal reading would favor the literal wording of the contracts and trades, so the only reason to pay out would be as a gesture of good faith to the players by the owners, which could happen I suppose.

I also wonder if stats recorded in the play-in round count as regular season stats, since they are not technically post-season games.

2 minutes ago, ABC923 said:

I would say my gut feeling extends to all those bonus laden contracts.  Players may just be out of luck; after all, those bonuses don't get paid out if players miss significant time with injury or get scratched from the line-up either.  I think the legal reading would favor the literal wording of the contracts and trades, so the only reason to pay out would be as a gesture of good faith to the players by the owners, which could happen I suppose.

I also wonder if stats recorded in the play-in round count as regular season stats, since they are not technically post-season games.

No the NHL has already declared the 19-20 season regular season over. 

I believe I read today they are going to count points collected in the play in round will be counted as playoff stats. 

3 minutes ago, ABC923 said:

They do not count towards the regular season, the Richard, Jennings and Art Ross have basically been declared to the winners.

I know there were days that the cheap owners would want players sat if they were closing in on bonuses.  Players also sometimes go out of there way to hit bonuses, even teammates try harder to help a guy than they should.  I think in fairness you prorate to see which ones were likely to hit and count out the ones not to.  I think fairness is as suggested with Calgary getting a comp pick in the 4th or 5th but Edmonton not having to give up one of theirs.

31 minutes ago, ABC923 said:

Ya it would be interesting to see the literal wording of the contract.  Would "a season" be defined as "82 games" and if the league/owners shortens the season, then the players could have a case.

The other thing is, most of the league has played 70-games so not a huge proration (is that a word?) I guess i also lean towards all players are out of luck.