IN MEMORY OF: THE REBUILD

rickross

Moment of silence...

It started 6 years ago all the way back in 2013, goodbye Kipper, goodbye Iggy. 3 GMs later, Feaster, Burke(interim) and now Treliving. 3 coaches later, Hartley, Gulutzan and now Peters. It took a bit of Feaster offer sheeting Ryan O'reilly, some DQ for Hartley's playoff berth, a little beer tub on a train to nowhere with Gully and Jaromir Jagr's hair to rebuild this team. With a youthful core now in place and the team currently enjoying its most successful season in 30 years it's safe to affirm this organization has successfully "rebuilt" itself. For me the missing piece appears to have been found in David "BSD" Rittich. We've been plugging and playing this position ever since Kipper peaced out and it looks like BSD is shaping up to be that final key piece. It's been an interesting road, and it's exciting to see this team shape into a contender before our eyes! 

R.I.P Rebuild

2013-2018

4 hours ago, 420since1974 said:

If my memory serves me correctly, Brad Treliving stated that the Flames were beginning a 5 year rebuild when he was hired in late April 2014.

IMO, he seems to be right on track, as that 5 years will be up in just over 2 months from now.

And to think, his 5 year rebuild involved multiple playoff appearances still.

11 hours ago, rickross said:

Moment of silence...

It started 6 years ago all the way back in 2013, goodbye Kipper, goodbye Iggy. 3 GMs later, Feaster, Burke(interim) and now Treliving. 3 coaches later, Hartley, Gulutzan and now Peters. It took a bit of Feaster offer sheeting Ryan O'reilly, some DQ for Hartley's playoff berth, a little beer tub on a train to nowhere with Gully and Jaromir Jagr's hair to rebuild this team. With a youthful core now in place and the team currently enjoying its most successful season in 30 years it's safe to affirm this organization has successfully "rebuilt" itself. For me the missing piece appears to have been found in David "BSD" Rittich. We've been plugging and playing this position ever since Kipper peaced out and it looks like BSD is shaping up to be that final key piece. It's been an interesting road, and it's exciting to see this team shape into a contender before our eyes! 

R.I.P Rebuild

2013-2018

Just think how many questioned even giving Rittich the back up role for this season. Never under estimate what any player can do with an opportunity. Our direction is good so long as BT doesn't get ahead of himself. We have a good thing going in which to build on.

9 hours ago, 420since1974 said:

If my memory serves me correctly, Brad Treliving stated that the Flames were beginning a 5 year rebuild when he was hired in late April 2014.

IMO, he seems to be right on track, as that 5 years will be up in just over 2 months from now.

BT is right on time!...just like he planned! It would be such poetic justice for the Flames to win a Cup 30 years after the last one

3 hours ago, MAC331 said:

Just think how many questioned even giving Rittich the back up role for this season. Never under estimate what any player can do with an opportunity. Our direction is good so long as BT doesn't get ahead of himself. We have a good thing going in which to build on.

I was definitely in that camp! I never counted Rittich out but I questioned if he was ready based off of last year. He’s been our biggest surprise this year and hoping this is only the start of a stellar career for him 

54 minutes ago, rickross said:

I was definitely in that camp! I never counted Rittich out but I questioned if he was ready based off of last year. He’s been our biggest surprise this year and hoping this is only the start of a stellar career for him 

Maybe Smith is the actual Goalie Whisperer. 

Maybe Smith can be the next Sean Burke.

54 minutes ago, rickross said:

Looking back on the return we got for Iginla is just shameful. Was Chiarelli the GM at the time? If so,that’s some of his best work! 

Waited too long to trade Iginla, from a rebuilding standpoint and whenever you trade the better player it’s tough to win a trade. 

4 hours ago, rickross said:

Looking back on the return we got for Iginla is just shameful. Was Chiarelli the GM at the time? If so,that’s some of his best work! 

3 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Waited too long to trade Iginla, from a rebuilding standpoint and whenever you trade the better player it’s tough to win a trade. 

I also think it was a weak draft year so the picks couldn’t really amount to much.

although they could’ve had Burakovsky or Shea Theodore.

10 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I also think it was a weak draft year so the picks couldn’t really amount to much.

although they could’ve had Burakovsky or Shea Theodore.

That would have been with the Blues pick. The Pens pick was 28th and those guy were gone. Not as many clear cut misses after that although you do have names like Ryan Hartman, JT Compher, Adam Erne or Robert Hagg. They are playing albeit not important pieces. 2013 was supposed to actually be a very strong draft, and in terms of players sent to the NHL it actually is but it jsut didn't produce the top end talent it was supposed to. 

Iginla trade is a tough one thought. With a full NMC and making it clear he only wanted to go to 2 teams (well, one really) Feaster and co just had no negotiating power to try and get any value out of that deal. Sucks, but what someone said earlier was right the real problem was waiting to trade Iginla when they did. I am firmly of the opinion that the would have received Brayden Schenn had they moved Iginla a couple years earlier when it was already clear the team was going nowhere. 

8 minutes ago, cross16 said:

That would have been with the Blues pick. The Pens pick was 28th and those guy were gone. Not as many clear cut misses after that although you do have names like Ryan Hartman, JT Compher, Adam Erne or Robert Hagg. They are playing albeit not important pieces. 2013 was supposed to actually be a very strong draft, and in terms of players sent to the NHL it actually is but it jsut didn't produce the top end talent it was supposed to. 

Iginla trade is a tough one thought. With a full NMC and making it clear he only wanted to go to 2 teams (well, one really) Feaster and co just had no negotiating power to try and get any value out of that deal. Sucks, but what someone said earlier was right the real problem was waiting to trade Iginla when they did. I am firmly of the opinion that the would have received Brayden Schenn had they moved Iginla a couple years earlier when it was already clear the team was going nowhere. 

It would’ve been nice to hit on Theodore, just to have at least one of the picks to hit. 

Yup, I realized it could only be one of those two with the first of the other picks. 

But hitting on more depth wouldve been good. But we are where we are. It’s fun and hopefully they can continue to grow as a team.

5 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

It would’ve been nice to hit on Theodore, just to have at least one of the picks to hit. 

Yup, I realized it could only be one of those two with the first of the other picks. 

But hitting on more depth wouldve been good. But we are where we are. It’s fun and hopefully they can continue to grow as a team.

The Porier pick really hurts no question. Klimchuk I can give them a pass as it was late and there wasn't a lot there and there was plenty of reason to like Klimchuk, but Porier pick really stung to pass on that many guys. 

We should really enjoy the level of this team has reached, because with how poor the rebuild started it's surprising they've even gotten this far. 

I get the idea that it would be nice to go back a few years and change a pick or 2 for the sake of a better team today, but one has to realize that if we chose player X instead of player Y 5 years ago then we changed our coarse and our needs along the way, we also change the coarse of many other teams as well. We would not be the team we are today, for better or worse. Our entire top line may have been dispersed around the league instead. Laws of the universe.:wacko:

2 hours ago, CheersMan said:

I get the idea that it would be nice to go back a few years and change a pick or 2 for the sake of a better team today, but one has to realize that if we chose player X instead of player Y 5 years ago then we changed our coarse and our needs along the way, we also change the coarse of many other teams as well. We would not be the team we are today, for better or worse. Our entire top line may have been dispersed around the league instead. Laws of the universe.:wacko:

This is some Back to the Future kind of Satoshi Nakamoto! 

“Erased from existence!”

6 hours ago, CheersMan said:

I wish we would've tanked for a higher pick...

:ph34r:

3 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I wish we would've tanked for a higher pick...

:ph34r:

That's shocking, lol.

Is the rebuild done? So now we just call it a build?

It's hard deny that if it weren't for Rittich stepping up so far, we'd still have significant problems getting wins due to goaltending.

I'd argue for BT's 5 year plan a goalie has always been the Achilles Heel.

It's head-scratching that, while being a great landing spot for a goalie to take the reigns with a clear starter spot available and bank to be made, it's been so elusive.

Archived