Oilers

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

I too am surprised at the approach on D. It sounds strange given the lost the final game only 2-1 but I didn't want the playoffs thinking "oh if only the Oilers had a few more top 6 forwards.  Surprised that they come out of that and targeting their forwards as the place they wanted to add. 

Part of that is opportunity and they were smart to get Arvidsson and Skinner for what they did. Feels like they are reading too much into the Broberg sample size. Good 2 games and suddenly they seem to forget how bad he has been for his career. 

And to give them "depth" they signed a guy who has one of the worst analytic profiles over the last few years. 

You mean Stecher or Connor Carrick or Brown?  I was reading an opinion that the scouts that know Broburg think he is a top 4 in less than 2 years.  But the head scratcher is how they plan to make cap room.  They haven't even got a full roster and placeholders for Broburg and Holloway.  I suppose they could first trade McLeod to get closer.  Then they hold off signing Broburg and Holloway until after the season starts and have cleared cap.  Then they could trade Ceci and sign Broburg to a cheap deal.  Then they could trade Kane (NMC) because so many teams want a guy that is injured and fell off the last two seasons.  A bit more goals this year, but he also got dropped down the depth chart.  Then they could sign Holloway and use a cheap guy.  ( career NHL goals so he should be looking for $2,5M.  LOL.

I'm not jealous of their FA signings.  Like Arvidsson.  Skinner might end up a good deal.  Henrique is getting old and didn't exactly kill it.  Brown and Janmark brought back.  Corie Perry as well.  How they felt the most important reason for losing the cup was goal scoring.  Their top 2 players dried up in the finals.  They could only win the games where one or both had points.

17 hours ago, travel_dude said:

You mean Stecher or Connor Carrick or Brown?  I was reading an opinion that the scouts that know Broburg think he is a top 4 in less than 2 years.  But the head scratcher is how they plan to make cap room.  They haven't even got a full roster and placeholders for Broburg and Holloway.  I suppose they could first trade McLeod to get closer.  Then they hold off signing Broburg and Holloway until after the season starts and have cleared cap.  Then they could trade Ceci and sign Broburg to a cheap deal.  Then they could trade Kane (NMC) because so many teams want a guy that is injured and fell off the last two seasons.  A bit more goals this year, but he also got dropped down the depth chart.  Then they could sign Holloway and use a cheap guy.  ( career NHL goals so he should be looking for $2,5M.  LOL.

I'm not jealous of their FA signings.  Like Arvidsson.  Skinner might end up a good deal.  Henrique is getting old and didn't exactly kill it.  Brown and Janmark brought back.  Corie Perry as well.  How they felt the most important reason for losing the cup was goal scoring.  Their top 2 players dried up in the finals.  They could only win the games where one or both had points.

Brown, Josh Brown specifically. Has one of the worst analytical profiles i've ever seen. Basically bleeds scoring chances when he is on the ice. 

4 hours ago, cross16 said:

Brown, Josh Brown specifically. Has one of the worst analytical profiles i've ever seen. Basically bleeds scoring chances when he is on the ice. 

I believe we were in competition for him, along with Arvidsson.

Like the latter, not so much the former.

Locked up for 3 years.

Hey, they didn't pay a lot.  

Oilers Trading Ryan McLeod to Sabres For Prospect Matt Savoie - The Hockey Writers - NHL News - NHL News, Analysis & More

I really like this trade by Edmonton. Savoie instantly becomes their best prospect. The size concerns are legitimate, but Savoie was a top ten pick only two seasons ago. Scored about 2pts/game this season in the WHL. This trade just about alleviates Edmonton's cap trouble.

What is Buffalo doing? EDM had to move Mcleod, BUF responds by giving them a legitimate high end prospect? Buffalo is loaded in forward prospects, they have to move some, I get that. But you don't trade a 20yr old 9th overall pick for a bottom six player. There's a reason the Sabres have missed the playoffs forever. BUF also acquired Ty Tullio. He was a very good jr player, has been ok in the minors. Not sure he's an NHLer.

Nicely done by Edmonton. Feels like a homerun trade.

22 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Oilers Trading Ryan McLeod to Sabres For Prospect Matt Savoie - The Hockey Writers - NHL News - NHL News, Analysis & More

I really like this trade by Edmonton. Savoie instantly becomes their best prospect. The size concerns are legitimate, but Savoie was a top ten pick only two seasons ago. Scored about 2pts/game this season in the WHL. This trade just about alleviates Edmonton's cap trouble.

What is Buffalo doing? EDM had to move Mcleod, BUF responds by giving them a legitimate high end prospect? Buffalo is loaded in forward prospects, they have to move some, I get that. But you don't trade a 20yr old 9th overall pick for a bottom six player. There's a reason the Sabres have missed the playoffs forever. BUF also acquired Ty Tullio. He was a very good jr player, has been ok in the minors. Not sure he's an NHLer.

Nicely done by Edmonton. Feels like a homerun trade.

That's horrible value for BUF.  I get that Ryan Mcleod is coming off a career defining playoff run where he helped the Oilers to one of the best PK in the playoffs and one of their key shut down bottom 6 guys... and, he is exactly what BUF needs.  You can argue BUF is weak with their bottom 6 and they just added one of the best young defensive forwards in the NHL... yes... but that's still horrible value from a trade perspective.

A former 9th overall who is trending well and on the verge of breaking into the NHL.  Savoie is from the EDM area so maybe he wanted to go home... but still.  also, Ty Tullio... who?  I think BUF should've got more.

17 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

That's horrible value for BUF.  I get that Ryan Mcleod is coming off a career defining playoff run where he helped the Oilers to one of the best PK in the playoffs and one of their key shut down bottom 6 guys... and, he is exactly what BUF needs.  You can argue BUF is weak with their bottom 6 and they just added one of the best young defensive forwards in the NHL... yes... but that's still horrible value from a trade perspective.

A former 9th overall who is trending well and on the verge of breaking into the NHL.  Savoie is from the EDM area so maybe he wanted to go home... but still.  also, Ty Tullio... who?  I think BUF should've got more.

I'm really not that high on Mcleod.

He is a good player, but I think he is what he is. Solid bottom six player, plays with speed. You can get those types of players for 2nd's and 3rd's. You don't pay a 9th overall pick for it.

Buffalo should’ve sought higher, but I think Savoie is a little overrated based on draft position, I think the 21 and 22 drafts will go down as some of the worst in recent years.  I don’t think he skates well enough to make up for his size.  A good trade for Edmonton shedding the cap but him being their #1 prospect now doesn’t say much.

31 minutes ago, sak22 said:

Buffalo should’ve sought higher, but I think Savoie is a little overrated based on draft position, I think the 21 and 22 drafts will go down as some of the worst in recent years.  I don’t think he skates well enough to make up for his size.  A good trade for Edmonton shedding the cap but him being their #1 prospect now doesn’t say much.

Cutter Gauthier is a unique situation, but three of the top eleven picks from 2022 have already been moved. Probably speaks to your point.

10 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Well no team in the last 9 years had McDavid in his prime.

Legendary playoff performance from 97 abd they still came up short.

It’s a lot to ask when 40% of the team is 32 or older. The game gets faster every year, not slower.

5 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Legendary playoff performance from 97 abd they still came up short.

It’s a lot to ask when 40% of the team is 32 or older. The game gets faster every year, not slower.

At least 2 more record setting years on the horizon in my opinion.  I hope they never do win it all but also can't count them out.  They figured it all out this past season.

53 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

At least 2 more record setting years on the horizon in my opinion.  I hope they never do win it all but also can't count them out.  They figured it all out this past season.

When you get to the SCF, you stand the chance of regression the following year.  FLA won it all, but I don't see them repeating or even getting to the finals.  EDM had a breeze to the WCF and by then DAL seemed to be a bit done.  Had it been COL, you wonder what the result would have been.  I would suggest that the path to the SCF is going to be much harder this year.  Not a slight to EDM, just reality.  

I'm not a big fan of Savoie so I actually don't love this trade from either side. Probably better for the Oilers because they eneded to move cap and they get a piece that could help them in 1-2 years at a cheap cost. I will give them credit they have done what they needed to do this off season. They've avoided a bad long term deal while also trying to keep in mind they need a few young pieces that can help in 2025-26 when they hope to have Draisaitl and McDavid under long term deals. I don't think they are closer to a cup but for what they were working with they've done well. 

I really like McLeod and think he is underrated. I think he's got a chance to be a very good middle 6 player with more opportunity, so while I like the player for Buffalo, you don't build a playoff team by drafting people in the top 10 to move them for middle 6 players. 

This trade is giving me Granlund for Shinkaruk vibes. 

This entire generation of Oilers is doomed, for the same reason it always was, goaltending and D.

You look at their moves, it's all on their forward lines.   the clear priority for them.    As soon as quotes like "sky is the limit" for Skinner came out, we had confirmation that this entire core is done.

I really would cheer for our northern neighbours and I have great love for the fans up there.  But fundamentally can't because they just don't want to respect the importance of half the players on the ice (LD, RD, G).    There is no reason to believe that Skinner, or any of their D, are emerging talent.    They are what they are and it is not good.

We saw an incredible peformance by Draisaitl and McDavid this post-season.   As close as you can get to single-handedly winning the cup.  But not close enough, and the changes they are making won't fix that.

50 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

This entire generation of Oilers is doomed, for the same reason it always was, goaltending and D.

You look at their moves, it's all on their forward lines.   the clear priority for them.    As soon as quotes like "sky is the limit" for Skinner came out, we had confirmation that this entire core is done.

I really would cheer for our northern neighbours and I have great love for the fans up there.  But fundamentally can't because they just don't want to respect the importance of half the players on the ice (LD, RD, G).    There is no reason to believe that Skinner, or any of their D, are emerging talent.    They are what they are and it is not good.

We saw an incredible peformance by Draisaitl and McDavid this post-season.   As close as you can get to single-handedly winning the cup.  But not close enough, and the changes they are making won't fix that.

By contrast FLA did almost enough wrong to lose the cup.  How to take a 3-0 series lead and let it come down to one goal.  Can't fault the coach.  He never worried about it in game, but saw crap in front of him way too often.  FLA relied on a goalie prone to having down nights.  He was the best Panther on the ice more than one night.  

I will let the fans use the injury crutch if they want.  McD and Drai only looked good in a few games against FLA.  And that was combined.  I can't say that running up a score is an indicator of overall play.  CMD's goals were all very nice.  Two series they barely got to game 7; one was because they sat the star goalie. 

The city went from a big sustained roar to a fart in church.  Koodos for not rioting.  Not a lot of whining afterwards.  

• 3 weeks later...

Edm stays classy I see. 

It’s not even a good hire. Not sure why anyone would think hiring him is worth the fall back your going to get. If you actually look at what Bowman did in Chicago, in terms of building the team, it wasn’t very good. 

For a second I thought Edmonton might be changing their ways as I feared the reports of Hunter being the frontrunner, but the Oilers remain the Oilers and remain committed to going after GM's who've won cups without paying attention to what they did to their teams after.

Worst kept secret in the NHL.  Surprise!  I read a lengthy article about the initial reactions, followed by a detailed account of the events.  After all that, the blogger (journalist?) suggested this was a great hire.  All is forgiven.  As long as the Oilers get a guy some people believe is good for winning.  That's all that ever matters.  

There are worse humans in the world (Graham James says hi), but allowing things to go on is just as bad as doing them.  Old boys league at it's finest.

Studies in contrast...

Bowman: remained silent.

Oilers fans: refusing to remain silent.

Fans don't seem to gaf about a great season anymore.

How tone-deaf does your ownership and mgmt groups have to be?

I guess we're finding out. Unbelievable.

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Studies in contrast...

Bowman: remained silent.

Oilers fans: refusing to remain silent.

Fans don't seem to gaf about a great season anymore.

How tone-deaf does your ownership and mgmt groups have to be?

I guess we're finding out. Unbelievable.

No surprise to me at all, Oilers are just a dumping ground for black eyed players and now management for  all types of scandals (Perry, Kane, and now Bowman).  Classless organization, if I were an Oiler fan I would be very disappointed.

Oilers =  Get out of jail free card team.