Oilers

22 hours ago, bigfaninlethbridge said:

I think it's you who has lost sight.  I just looked it up, and frankly you should really actually examine your stats before posting them.  Do you know how many teams in the entire league have 4 or more players with more than 10 goals?  10.  Not even a third of the league, and yes you are right Edmonton is one of them. As of right now in the league there are exactly 92 players with more than 10 goals this year.  That equates to an average of 2.96 players per team with a goal count of more than 10.  The Oilers have in fact a HIGHER number of players with more than 10 goals than the league average.  You know how many our team has??  1.  Yes, ONE. 

A top 6 that consists of McD and Draisailt should have more than just 3 players with 10 or more.  Nurse plays with either of those two lines for the majority of his minutes. They have the option to split up the big two or play them together.   It's a nice thing to have, and playing two players 25 minutes a night works in a short season.  

22 hours ago, bigfaninlethbridge said:

Now as far as Ottawa, ask any other team in the North if Ottawa is a pushover like you say.  Every one of them except Edmonton will say that they had their hands full with Ottawa.  If you take away their losses to Edmonton they'd be at 13 and 12 right now, over 500 hockey and good for 5th and challenging for a playoff spot... way above us. 

Every blowout game they had featured a struggling Ottawa goalie.  I watched those games and was shocked how bad they were.  Yes, Ottawa is a better team than those blowouts showed.  But it goes to my point that EDM beat a team with struggling goalies.  Every other team EDM have faced has them playing closer to 500 hockey.

You seem to be very sensative about criticism of the Oilers.  I have no blind hate to them, just pointing out where they are not the team to beat this year.  They are a middle of the pack team that still hasn't addressed the issues of last year.  Goaltending and playing without the puck.  PP chances dry up as the playoffs start, so they need to win games without PP chances.  The Jets are a deeper team than the Leafs, but the Leafs have a much better D corp.  The Oilers have neither.

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

A top 6 that consists of McD and Draisailt should have more than just 3 players with 10 or more.  Nurse plays with either of those two lines for the majority of his minutes. They have the option to split up the big two or play them together.   It's a nice thing to have, and playing two players 25 minutes a night works in a short season.  

Actually there are 4 in their top 6 with 10 or more.  The same goes almost every top 3 team of every division in the league except for a very few.  I still fail to see how that is a bad thing.   Those teams are scoring, and they are winning.... the goal of a hockey game.

Every blowout game they had featured a struggling Ottawa goalie.  I watched those games and was shocked how bad they were.  Yes, Ottawa is a better team than those blowouts showed.  But it goes to my point that EDM beat a team with struggling goalies.  Every other team EDM have faced has them playing closer to 500 hockey.

Well color me surprised, it's easier to blow out a bad team than it is a good one.  This information you put here is true for every team in the league, that's how standings work.

You seem to be very sensative about criticism of the Oilers.

Not really, I'm like any other flames fan with my attitude towards them.  But blindly saying things like "ZOMG THEY sUcK cuz theY draFTEd first overalzzzz nine timez!!!!"  or "THre ONLY good cuz They HaVe Conner and that German guy!!" is ridiculous.  They got rid of the bad management, the bad coaches, the bad trainers and the bad scouts, Heck I think they even fired the laundry lady.  They now have an organization that is fixing the mess they inherited and they are winning their games.  They've hired the right people and have drafted well and they are going to continue to get better.  THAT is what we need to learn from.  Make fun of them yes, hate them yes... but to blindly keep believing they are a bad team is just plain wrong and goes against anything based in reality. 

I have no blind hate to them, just pointing out where they are not the team to beat this year. 

No they are not, thankfully.  But, they WILL be,  They have the right pieces in place and WAY better people steering the ship and they are going to continue to get better, while we are sitting in the middle of the ocean powerless and rudderless, and that's what you are ignoring. 

They are a middle of the pack team that still hasn't addressed the issues of last year.  Goaltending and playing without the puck.  PP chances dry up as the playoffs start, so they need to win games without PP chances.  The Jets are a deeper team than the Leafs, but the Leafs have a much better D corp.  The Oilers have neither.

But they are NOT a middle of the pack team.  Right now they are top third, and by the looks of it will continue to trend upwards.   Yes goaltending needs to be fixed, yes better defensive play and play in their own end... interesting to note, right now they are 14'th overall in fewest goals allowed per game and also middle of the pack in straight goals allowed.  How you are not seeing that as better play in their own end vs. previous years is beyond me. 

But no let's just keep with the "Flames are on the right track, Treliving gets a passing grade, and THANK GOD THEY BROUGHT SUTTER BACK!  Our savior has arrived!!"

Come on, we can't keep doing this.  We have to start looking around the league at what is working, and this season and for the forseeable future it definitely is working for that team to the north.  We need to learn from them and other teams that have the cheddar.

I think you are thinking I am pumping up the Flames and trashing the Oilers.

I am not.  This was not a us vs them post to begin with.

I am pointing out the flaws with the team and you are suggesting that somehow they are a top team.

Top teams are not shut out regularly.

Did they improve from last year?

Hard to say in 38 games against 6 teams isn't it.

16 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I think you are thinking I am pumping up the Flames and trashing the Oilers.

I am not.  This was not a us vs them post to begin with.

I am pointing out the flaws with the team and you are suggesting that somehow they are a top team.

Top teams are not shut out regularly.

Did they improve from last year?

Hard to say in 38 games against 6 teams isn't it.

OK well I think we've debated this one to death lol... time will tell if they are actually a good team trending towards great, or a bad team over performing and destined to fall back to the bottom.

I think they are the former without question, and I think there are things that we can and should learn from them.  I never once claimed them to be a top team, but by the eye test they sure seem to be trending that way.

11 hours ago, jjgallow said:

Just because the Oilers suck really, really, really, really bad..

doesn't mean we can't call get along.

lol well said.

Did anybody hear Boomer on the fan this morning?  talking to Friedman he says "And the Oilers have been MADDINGLY consistent this year..."  that to me puts it all in a nutshell right there. 

58 minutes ago, bigfaninlethbridge said:

lol well said.

Did anybody hear Boomer on the fan this morning?  talking to Friedman he says "And the Oilers have been MADDINGLY consistent this year..."  that to me puts it all in a nutshell right there. 

Against the non-playoff teams they are 17-3 and against the playoff teams they are 8-11-2.  I don't know if I'd use Maddingly consistent, just unfamiliar territory for them.  They've feasted on the weak but have struggled with Toronto and Montreal, but if I'm a fan of that team I still don't trust that 39 year old Mike Smith can play at a sub 2.40 GAA for the remainder of the year.  He's done what he's doing this year for stretches almost every year, little faith that changes this year

• 2 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Jujhar Khaira's career may have been ended by Brett Ritchie.  He couldn't handle a pretty typical routine hit.

Looks to me like his career may have been ended by the Edmonton Oilers who played him the very next game without any regard for his well being or Actual concussion protocol.

11 hours ago, jjgallow said:

Looks to me like his career may have been ended by the Edmonton Oilers who played him the very next game without any regard for his well being or Actual concussion protocol.

That's exactly the problem.  There is no reason he should have been back the next game.

23 hours ago, travel_dude said:

That's exactly the problem.  There is no reason he should have been back the next game.

they need to penalize hits like he made stricter so that the fight doesn’t happen and he doesn’t get KO’d. 

they need to call penalties that are penalties so that players don’t try to police themselves. 

But after the KO, there’s no reason he should be playing the next day. 

Like a penalty could be called, a double minor if the hit is dangerous or a hit to the head. They can call it intent to injure. On other plays where it is blatant they can assess a major. 

high sticking was a problem and they mostly fixed it, but it’s not as bad of a problem as other kinds of plays, yet it gets a harsher penalty. 

I would say slashing the hands is even worse as bones break and hinders goal scoring, which apparently the league wants to go up.

3 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

they need to penalize hits like he made stricter so that the fight doesn’t happen and he doesn’t get KO’d. 

they need to call penalties that are penalties so that players don’t try to police themselves. 

1 minute ago, robrob74 said:

Like a penalty could be called, a double minor if the hit is dangerous or a hit to the head. They can call it intent to injure. On other plays where it is blatant they can assess a major. 

Fights occur for many reasons and are not just a result of a non-call.  Teams do it to change momentum.  They do it for a legal hit.

Staged fights because of punishment to a player that laid a dirty hit are going to happen regardless.

Khaira was mishandled and should have been a mandatory 7 days for loss of consciousness.

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

Khaira was injured on the March 15 game and missed the next one on the 17th and returned on the 20th.  Definitely poor management of head injuries, but not next day bad.  I haven't paid much attention to him since the fight so don't know what else has happened to him the past month, but such a weird reaction to a play with no head contact.  League still needs work on head injuries, even the game he hit Kylington I don't believe Kylington should've returned IMO.

On 4/21/2021 at 11:34 AM, sak22 said:

Khaira was injured on the March 15 game and missed the next one on the 17th and returned on the 20th.  Definitely poor management of head injuries, but not next day bad.  I haven't paid much attention to him since the fight so don't know what else has happened to him the past month, but such a weird reaction to a play with no head contact.  League still needs work on head injuries, even the game he hit Kylington I don't believe Kylington should've returned IMO.

League is a joke on head injuries. I don't think they actually care they just had to put some stuff in place to satisfy lawsuits and try to prevent more. They've proven time and time again they don't see it as a priority. 

I feel for Khaira. Career might be ruined because of it. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, cross16 said:

League is a joke on head injuries. I don't think they actually care they just had to put some stuff in place to satisfy lawsuits and try to prevent more. They've proven time and time again they don't see it as a priority. 

I feel for Khaira. Career might be ruined because of it. 

Completely agree.   It is the league.   But I think we can jointly blame Edmonton.   Either one of them had the power to do the right thing.  And it's not like it was in Edmonton's best interest to keep playing him.

It's not.

Lack of regard for the player doesn't even explain it.   This hurts Edmonton too.    It's lack of regard for the player coupled with total incompetence, followed by a shoulder shrug at league level.

On 4/9/2021 at 1:07 PM, sak22 said:

Against the non-playoff teams they are 17-3 and against the playoff teams they are 8-11-2.  I don't know if I'd use Maddingly consistent, just unfamiliar territory for them.  They've feasted on the weak but have struggled with Toronto and Montreal, but if I'm a fan of that team I still don't trust that 39 year old Mike Smith can play at a sub 2.40 GAA for the remainder of the year.  He's done what he's doing this year for stretches almost every year, little faith that changes this year

they are first in the division for goals against and goals against per game.  they are never blown out by any team.  after their first handful of games when they put their crap together they have for the entire season been in either second or third in the division, even last night they blew the doors off of winnipeg.  They are maddingly consistent in my opinion. 

17 minutes ago, bigfaninlethbridge said:

they are first in the division for goals against and goals against per game.  they are never blown out by any team.  after their first handful of games when they put their crap together they have for the entire season been in either second or third in the division, even last night they blew the doors off of winnipeg.  They are maddingly consistent in my opinion. 

image.png.94f4623ce59bf896fafe2f5a07f02e1c.png

If you don't see an outlier to their GAA.  Against the 3 playoff teams they are -8 in goal differential, cool they have Winnipeg's number good for them.  Not saying they aren't good, I just don't think they are on par with the teams down south or even Toronto.  Media overinflates their tires based on the two players.

44 minutes ago, bigfaninlethbridge said:

Don't let facts get in the way of opinion.

2nd in division in goals for, 2nd in differential.

Goals for against Ottawa 41.

Goals against Ottawa 18.

That alone is +23 in differential.

They are +24 overal.

3 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Don't let facts get in the way of opinion.

2nd in division in goals for, 2nd in differential.

Goals for against Ottawa 41.

Goals against Ottawa 18.

That alone is +23 in differential.

They are +24 overal.

Take your foot out of your mouth, and follow along.  Maybe you should read the comment before posting chirps about it and erroneously chastising somebody.  I said nothing about goals for or goal differential, not even once in that post.  What was it you said about letting facts get in the way of opinion?  I said "First in the division for goals AGAINST ".  and here's your proof:

79e4e476a07ad84aaa8ac3d7cdc32023.png

2 hours ago, sak22 said:

image.png.94f4623ce59bf896fafe2f5a07f02e1c.png

If you don't see an outlier to their GAA.  Against the 3 playoff teams they are -8 in goal differential, cool they have Winnipeg's number good for them.  Not saying they aren't good, I just don't think they are on par with the teams down south or even Toronto.  Media overinflates their tires based on the two players.

Of course that's true, and it's likely true for every team in the league.  As you face the tougher teams that are the top of the divisions your goals for and goal differential goes down.  That's how standings work, and Edmonton currently ranks second place in those standings with games in hand.  It has nothing to do with over inflating tires, it has to do with their on ice performance.  And newsflash, they are performing far better than we are, in fact they are performing better than most of the rest of the division and are biting at the heels of the one in top spot.  That tells me they are a good team.  Not good enough to win it all, but they are good and trending to be better.  The sooner we see this and how they got there so we can fix our problems the better.

• 4 weeks later...