Oilers

42 minutes ago, rickross said:

Don’t be surprised when the Coilers land Lafrieniere! Holland will know what to do with that kind of trio of talent, he’s the most sensible GM they’ve had in a decade.  

I would put Holland down there with Talon as the worst to manage cap.

Look at his recent dealings.

Re-signing Kassian as if he was a top 6 player.

Paying Chaisson more than he was worht (though he's not that bad).

The trade for AA with Gagner (last part of the Eberle fiasco) and 2x2nds.

Detroit was glad to be done with him.

Even with Lafreniere, the team is lost.

They would be better off trading the pick and picking up a real C.

Ensure who LA is taking.

Trade for the 3rd and 5th pick.

AT the worst, they have a franchise C who can actually play the position.

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

and yet, Draisaitl is going to win the Hart Trophy this year. Not that I’ve seen him play that much though, so I dunno...

Honestly I think that is a farce if he does.  Panarin unlike Draisatl was a + 36 compared to -7 and helped Zibanejad and Strome to career years.  Mackinnon was putting up a career year despite Landeskog and Rantanen both missing a lot of time.  I think the bias towards the point total and Canadian media lean towards it being a runaway for Draisatl, but IMO it isn't an open and shut case.

3 hours ago, JTech780 said:

The Oilers biggest issue is that they have two of the most skilled players in the league, but untill those two figure out that they have to play just as hard away from the puck as they do with the puck, they are never going to win anything.

Everytime McDavid makes a highlight reel goal hcokey media gushes over him, and talk about how he is the best player in the league. Till he figures out the defensive side of the game he isn't a top 5 center in this league, guys like Crosby, Bergeron, Toews, O'Reilly, Barkov are all better players than McDavid right now. He has the ability to be better than those guys, but right now he thinks putting up points is the only way to win.

Draisaitl will never figure it out, he is way too lazy and takes too many days off. Great offensive player has no idea where the defensive zone is.

I think they have some issues with leadership I don't really know for sure, but hearing Nurse say they had more intensity for the game against the Flames than that series.  There is too much entitlement given based off draft position and individual awards.

38 minutes ago, sak22 said:

Honestly I think that is a farce if he does.  Panarin unlike Draisatl was a + 36 compared to -7 and helped Zibanejad and Strome to career years.  Mackinnon was putting up a career year despite Landeskog and Rantanen both missing a lot of time.  I think the bias towards the point total and Canadian media lean towards it being a runaway for Draisatl, but IMO it isn't an open and shut case.

I think they have some issues with leadership I don't really know for sure, but hearing Nurse say they had more intensity for the game against the Flames than that series.  There is too much entitlement given based off draft position and individual awards.

Hard to give it to a guy that was a minus even while leading the NHL in points.

Combine that with the fact they had two of the top scorers in the league and still barely managed 5th.

The laziest forward on the team.

I don't fault the leadership on the team, but the rest of the team is expecting the top 2 to score.

They aren't built to win.

McD can have highlight reel plays but nobody replays his gaffes.

Draisaitl is nothing but a one-trick pony.

They actually need a couple of top 6 C to be able to be successful.

3 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Hard to give it to a guy that was a minus even while leading the NHL in points.

Combine that with the fact they had two of the top scorers in the league and still barely managed 5th.

The laziest forward on the team.

I don't fault the leadership on the team, but the rest of the team is expecting the top 2 to score.

They aren't built to win.

McD can have highlight reel plays but nobody replays his gaffes.

Draisaitl is nothing but a one-trick pony.

They actually need a couple of top 6 C to be able to be successful.

I remember when the Flames used to do that with Iginla. The team played better as a whole when he got injured.

This problem is bigger than McDavid or Draisatl.

Neither of their defensive gaffes are enough to explain the last 15 years, especially when there are 4 other players on the ice other than them plus a goalie (maybe not an NHL goalie but a goalie all the same).

McDavid's biggest gaff was signing with them after being drafted.   If they ever won another lottery pick I would not blame the player for refusing.

I would not point at McDavid and Draistil as anywhere near the Oilers biggest problems. For sure there are parts of their game they can improve, and I would call Draistl a little overrated ( he is not one of the top 10-15 players in the league IMO) but pointing the finger there I think is wrong, especially in a team game. I think the problem lies here:

Nugent-Hopkins, Ryan "A"                      
Neal, James                
UFA

Athanasiou, Andreas                      
Chiasson, Alex            
A

Kassian, Zack                  
UFA

Khaira, Jujhar                      
Archibald, Josh              
UFA

Haas, Gaëtan            
UFA

Nygård, Joakim            
UFA

Sheahan, Riley          
UFA

Yamamoto, Kailer                      
Ennis, Tyler          
UFA

Russell, Patrick

4 of those 13 players need to play in their top 6 and 1 of them is an actual top 6 caliber player (Yamamoto who doesn't even have a full season under his belt), and most of those guys would play 4th line on other teams. Nuge would normally qualify but in true Oiler fashion he is put in a poor position and thus doesn't really fit what they need. 

It is a staggering drop off in talent, especially for a team that has picked in the top 10 in every draft but 1 since 2009 including 5 in the top 5. 

4 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I would not point at McDavid and Draistil as anywhere near the Oilers biggest problems. For sure there are parts of their game they can improve, and I would call Draistl a little overrated ( he is not one of the top 10-15 players in the league IMO) but pointing the finger there I think is wrong, especially in a team game. I think the problem lies here:

The issue with them is their lack of attention to detail.  They didn't lose the series, but they were on the ice for far too many goals against.  If they had a Backlund type player taking the majority of tough matchups, then you would see lees exposure by McD and Draisaitl.  I think they played better overall when the had Nuge as a #2C.  Meant that Drai was playing with McD or Nuge.  Archibald actually helped McD, but he's not top 6 material.  

Lots of issues, but if you have two guys at 100 points annually, then them being minus players is a big problem.  It's a shared stat, but often is caused by thinking offense only.

4 hours ago, travel_dude said:

The issue with them is their lack of attention to detail.  They didn't lose the series, but they were on the ice for far too many goals against.  If they had a Backlund type player taking the majority of tough matchups, then you would see lees exposure by McD and Draisaitl.  I think they played better overall when the had Nuge as a #2C.  Meant that Drai was playing with McD or Nuge.  Archibald actually helped McD, but he's not top 6 material.  

Lots of issues, but if you have two guys at 100 points annually, then them being minus players is a big problem.  It's a shared stat, but often is caused by thinking offense only.

why not move RNH to 3C then? Build the depth that way. They’re still shallow but CMcD can play with almost anyone. 

27 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

why not move RNH to 3C then? Build the depth that way. They’re still shallow but CMcD can play with almost anyone. 

I don't think it would be an issue, but you can have two lines playing almost 20 minutes at even strength and expect a 3rd line to handle all the defensive responsibility playing less than 12.  If you said Nuge playing 2C and taking about 18+ minutes a game, and the 3rd line is a possession and supplemental scoring line it would be fine.  As it stands, they have two offensive lines and no real defensive 3rd line.  Even then, they play 12 minutes.

So, load up the scoring line to outscore anyone they face.  Have a #2C be more defensively responsible.  Look at the Flames 2018/19.  2nd in league scoring with a defensive 2nd line.  Positive goal differential.  No scoring forward with minus +/-.  How is that not the goal in EDM?  Sure they need a couple of players that can prevent goals, but I don't think that too much of a coaching/lineup issue.  They seem hell-bent on winning scoring titles over lending a hand to the defense.  They had a good PP and PK, why can't they get it through their head that other things matter.  Tippett came from a team that had to play team defense.  Is the leadership the issue or did he try and fail at getting the C's to buy in?  

Draisailt turned out pretty good.  Even with McDavid hurt for small stretches, Draisailt proved he could still get it done. 

He's like the new Joe Thornton.  Big immovable object who has patience, vision, and precision passing.  I get the argument his numbers are inflated but if he wins the Hart, he deserves it.  Hitting 110-points in 74 games is not easy.

27 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Draisailt turned out pretty good.  Even with McDavid hurt for small stretches, Draisailt proved he could still get it done. 

He's like the new Joe Thornton.  Big immovable object who has patience, vision, and precision passing.  I get the argument his numbers are inflated but if he wins the Hart, he deserves it.  Hitting 110-points in 74 games is not easy.

The thing that sets off fans about him is his "laziness".  He gets that label because he gives up on plays.  For a high scoring forward, he sure doesn't play well without the puck.  He's used on the PK to exploit an opening, yet he still hasn't put it together that you need to be on the right side of the scoresheet. 

42 minutes ago, rickross said:

I owe the Oilers an apology! I misspoke earlier, they have not missed the playoffs 12 out of 13 years. It’s actually 13 out of 14 years! Sincere apologies ,I know this is another important record in futility for them. Every achievement counts for them right now!

You should send Holland a note because he seems a bit confused about whether they played good or not.

On one hand he said goaltending was good, but then says they didn't make the saves.

He said the team played just fine, and had the lead for every game, but couldn't close it out.

Not sure he was awake for the games I saw.

They missed out on adding to their string of 1st overalls.

While they have two elite players, neither of them can play without the puck.

Or win faceoffs consistently.

Draisaitl nominated for the Hartt is a joke.

Without McD, they are not a playoff team.

The defense is a work in progress, but they think Bouchard is the next saint.

He's like Nurse was 5 years ago; offensive threat with little speed.

They will probably blame Klefbom and trade him.

40 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

You should send Holland a note because he seems a bit confused about whether they played good or not.

On one hand he said goaltending was good, but then says they didn't make the saves.

He said the team played just fine, and had the lead for every game, but couldn't close it out.

Not sure he was awake for the games I saw.

They missed out on adding to their string of 1st overalls.

While they have two elite players, neither of them can play without the puck.

Or win faceoffs consistently.

Draisaitl nominated for the Hartt is a joke.

Without McD, they are not a playoff team.

The defense is a work in progress, but they think Bouchard is the next saint.

He's like Nurse was 5 years ago; offensive threat with little speed.

They will probably blame Klefbom and trade him.

Lol I saw Holland’s season ending autopsy. He has no clue what he’s dealing with, they have some solid individual set pieces but no cohesion as a team. I’m not sure they win a game without McDavid/Draisatl they are that dependent on them. #1 rated special teams but they can’t play 5 on 5 hockey.Edmonton  Hockey pundits were praising Tippett as a genius during the season...now they’re questioning his ability to coach! It’s just more of the same poop show in Edmonton. 13 out of 14 years! Relegate  them to the AHL already

1 hour ago, rickross said:

I owe the Oilers an apology! I misspoke earlier, they have not missed the playoffs 12 out of 13 years. It’s actually 13 out of 14 years! Sincere apologies ,I know this is another important record in futility for them. Every achievement counts for them right now!

Let it grow, Let it grow, Let it grow.

• Haha 1

I was listening to Boomer in the Morning in podcast and they were talking about how Sekera was the next Top2 D but he got injured two years in a row and then bought him out. So they’re paying him 2M per for a year or two more and then 1M for two more. Then 750K to Lucic still as well. They might have other buyouts on their cap still, plus Russell for a few more years. If he’s not blocking he’s not defending. 😂

dead cap is killing them as much as their 2 top paid forwards. 

7 hours ago, rickross said:

Lol I saw Holland’s season ending autopsy. He has no clue what he’s dealing with, they have some solid individual set pieces but no cohesion as a team. I’m not sure they win a game without McDavid/Draisatl they are that dependent on them. #1 rated special teams but they can’t play 5 on 5 hockey.Edmonton  Hockey pundits were praising Tippett as a genius during the season...now they’re questioning his ability to coach! It’s just more of the same poop show in Edmonton. 13 out of 14 years! Relegate  them to the AHL already

I feel like this was the Flames when we signed Brouwer. We might have had a few pieces more, but the oil are a few years behind and I think are in danger of the Canucks surpassing them. They’ve been ok at drafting the past few years in finding a few gems not being in the Top 4 in picking. Petterson, Horvat, Boesser, Hughes, etc. The addition of Miller was pretty good too. But they’re going to be giving up a pick this draft.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I was listening to Boomer in the Morning in podcast and they were talking about how Sekera was the next Top2 D but he got injured two years in a row and then bought him out. So they’re paying him 2M per for a year or two more and then 1M for two more. Then 750K to Lucic still as well. They might have other buyouts on their cap still, plus Russell for a few more years. If he’s not blocking he’s not defending. 😂

dead cap is killing them as much as their 2 top paid forwards. 

Only 2 buyout left for next year(s).

Sekera is 2.5 x 1  and 1.5 x 2.

Russell is one year at 4m, but actual salary is 2.5m

I can't believe Russell is 33 already.

To your point, this year is 3.25m dead cap space.

And they are paying Kassian 3.2m and Nurse 5.6m.

What a waste.

AA is going to need 3m just to qualify him.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Only 2 buyout left for next year(s).

Sekera is 2.5 x 1  and 1.5 x 2.

Russell is one year at 4m, but actual salary is 2.5m

I can't believe Russell is 33 already.

To your point, this year is 3.25m dead cap space.

And they are paying Kassian 3.2m and Nurse 5.6m.

What a waste.

AA is going to need 3m just to qualify him.

to me it looks like Nurse is overpaid by about 750K. Maybe even a full mil. I am comparing him to Hanifin. We probably prefer Hanifin's contract. 

Kassian might be a Colborne or Bouma kind of deal. I think he’s more of a 1.5-2 kind of player. But If he could be a continuous 15+ goals kind of player for the duration it could be an ok contract.

31 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

to me it looks like Nurse is overpaid by about 750K. Maybe even a full mil. I am comparing him to Hanifin. We probably prefer Hanifin's contract. 

Kassian might be a Colborne or Bouma kind of deal. I think he’s more of a 1.5-2 kind of player. But If he could be a continuous 15+ goals kind of player for the duration it could be an ok contract.

The only positive thing Nurse does is being a thug.

He doesn;t know how to play defense.

Closer to Gustafsson than Hanifin.

Maybe an offensive version of Forbort.

He really has gone downhill.defensively.

I can;t even tell you if his assists are due to McD or Drai scoring.

I have no time for Kaveman Kassian.

Even their fans turned on him.

He's useless now.

Got his deal because he played with McD and scored like Chaisson there.

10 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

The only positive thing Nurse does is being a thug.

He doesn;t know how to play defense.

Closer to Gustafsson than Hanifin.

Maybe an offensive version of Forbort.

He really has gone downhill.defensively.

I can;t even tell you if his assists are due to McD or Drai scoring.

I have no time for Kaveman Kassian.

Even their fans turned on him.

He's useless now.

Got his deal because he played with McD and scored like Chaisson there.

ya, and that’s just it. These guys that ride coattails off of players like McD, Crosby, Sedins, they don’t always get that that’s the only reason for their success. 

30% of the Oilers cap next year is tied up in buyouts, Lucic, James Neal, Kassian, Russell and Darnell Nurse. Never mind Koskinen at 4.5 million, which is bad, but not as egregious as the others. Good luck with that one Holland...

Contrast that with the Flames who have 10% of their cap next tied up in buyouts and Lucic (who I consider to be their only bad deal).

Hilarious that Edm media wants to point the finger at McDavid/Drasaitl and ignore that gross incompetence of cap management.