Bill Peters - 17th Flames Coach

phoenix66

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, JTech780 said:

I think the sense that a coach be motivational or de motivational is that a player that likes the coach and likes the system is more likely to play hard for that coach than a player who doesn't like the coach or system.

That being said I think it's on the coach to get the players hyped up and ready to go. 

I don't think tuning out the coach is the issue right now.

The players are frustrated and may be doing the wrong things.

Fixing that is tough.

Saw Peters reviewing a play with Stone last night.

Don't know if it helped, but it's the right thing to do.

The worry I have with Peters is that he is set in stone on some of his choices.

If the top line is struggling, why continue to play them through the things that are causing that.

Maybe they will learn and it will be a big "ah huh" moment and the turnaround of the season.

Or it's just something that needs a different approach until the mokey is removed.

I didn't get the Mangiapane demotion.

It sent the wrong message, and all that happened was that he got injured by playing on a gritty line.

There are so many different set ups they could try, but reverting to something that hasn't been working maybe is just wrong.

Top line needs a shake up right now.

Backlund is underperforming.

Only two players out of last night's top 6 are consistent; Tkachuk and Lindholm.

Demote Backlund to the 3rd line with Lucic and Rieder/Frolik.

Create a top line of Tkachuk-Lindholm-Mangiapane.

2nd line should be Gaudreau-Monahan-Dube maybe.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

But I guess there can always be a Matt Duchene scenario where the players don't buy the game plan the coach is selling and totally tune out.  So the coach could be de-motivational.

Agreed. 

but often that tells you more about the player than the coach IMO. 

Just now, cross16 said:

Not good....

Geoff Ward might soon be the Flames 18th head coach. 

It’s unacceptable. Horrible look for the leader of your locker room to have been accused of treating a human like that. If BT wants to make a coaching change this is his golden opportunity.

That being said, based on BT recently defending Peters, I think an apology will be issued and the Flames stick with Peters. I’m not here to debate whether that’s the right or wrong call that’s just what I think happens

29 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

It’s unacceptable. Horrible look for the leader of your locker room to have been accused of treating a human like that. If BT wants to make a coaching change this is his golden opportunity.

That being said, based on BT recently defending Peters, I think an apology will be issued and the Flames stick with Peters. I’m not here to debate whether that’s the right or wrong call that’s just what I think happens

Unless Treliving hires a bank restorative justice expert, I think Peters is gone.

ETA: The above assumes that the accusation can be verified and contextualized.

Very tough situation. Players talk and with the buzz already that players may not love Peters how do you stand behind him after this? cant exactly just fire him without proof either. 
verg tough. Sucks to have to see the team go through this and sucks Aliu had to go through it at all

1 minute ago, cross16 said:

Very tough situation. Players talk and with the buzz already that players may not love Peters how do you stand behind him after this? cant exactly just fire him without proof either. 
verg tough. Sucks to have to see the team go through this and sucks Aliu had to go through it at all

The players on this club hate any coach that forces them to be better. Best to see if this is verifiable before judgement is passed. 

Just now, conundrumed said:

But what would Aliu have to gain by this if it weren't true? He'd have a lot more to lose if it weren't true I'd surmise.

Disgruntled player admittedly, gets back at coach who allegially used an inappropriate use of words for the music he played, and sent him to the minors. Pretty good payback no? Why now, this would be more of whats he gaining by this 

1 minute ago, tmac70 said:

Disgruntled player admittedly, gets back at coach who allegially used an inappropriate use of words for the music he played, and sent him to the minors. Pretty good payback no? Why now, this would be more of whats he gaining by this 

He could get charged for defamation. Guessing that wouldn't be worth it.

30 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

He could get charged for defamation. Guessing that wouldn't be worth it.

I don't get the timing of his comments at all.

The NHL and hockey world in general has been dealing with racism for years, and this is the first chance he had to talk about it?

If anything, this sounds like a player whose career went south and he wants some minutes of fame.

But what do I know about people.

Innocent until guilty.

To me it sounds like someone who went through something traumatic and the firing of Babcock and the stuff that is coming out has triggered him. I don't think there needs to be a cause for it other than a triggered reaction to the hurt that was caused. It's really Satoshi Nakamototy when you're on the wrong end of racism. I don't think he needs to gain anything from it, other than closure and healing of the situation. When you're placed in a position to be powerless, what can he do when it happens? I mean, he could come out with it right away, but who knows what is going through someone's head when it actually happens? Someone in a position of power... using that power over you and possibly your career. Hockey players are taught to shut up and be gentleman and play political correctness. Anyone who rocks the boat is ousted. He kept quiet to save his career.

Racism is a thing, and I've been on the wrong end of it a few times in my life. In my career I live it almost daily. It's everywhere. I am a teacher and it's in schools, it comes from teachers and principals, and students. Not necessarily towards me all of the time, but it is there in many forms and enough to see it when it happens. Too many times is it that the victim gets further victimized by coming out with it to others. 

Anyway... 

The way I see it, I have no reason to think Aliu would lie about this, even if he was, I am not sure how Calgary can keep Peters around.

This team has been playing like a team that was quitting on the coach before all of this, now this news comes out, I can't see the players all of a sudden rallying behind the coach. If they already don't want to play for Peters this is just another log to add to that fire.

The tough part here is who can you bring in as a replacement coach that is going get this team to play? I am not sure Geoff Ward is the answer, he has already called the team out in the media, which is kind of uncharacteristic for an assistant coach.

Personally I would go with Ryan Huska with an interim tag. He seems like a good communicator. I would also look at Cail MacLean, but I am not sure he has enough experience. Do you maybe go with Martin Gelinas? The answer has to come from within the organization, because other teams aren't going to release assistant coaches or AHL coaches at this point in the season.

I also think you have to be careful not bring in an authoritarian coach, because this group won't respond well to that type of coach. I think it has to be a younger coach and a coach who can relate well to the players.

5 hours ago, robrob74 said:

To me it sounds like someone who went through something traumatic and the firing of Babcock and the stuff that is coming out has triggered him. I don't think there needs to be a cause for it other than a triggered reaction to the hurt that was caused. It's really Satoshi Nakamototy when you're on the wrong end of racism. I don't think he needs to gain anything from it, other than closure and healing of the situation. When you're placed in a position to be powerless, what can he do when it happens? I mean, he could come out with it right away, but who knows what is going through someone's head when it actually happens? Someone in a position of power... using that power over you and possibly your career. Hockey players are taught to shut up and be gentleman and play political correctness. Anyone who rocks the boat is ousted. He kept quiet to save his career.

Racism is a thing, and I've been on the wrong end of it a few times in my life. In my career I live it almost daily. It's everywhere. I am a teacher and it's in schools, it comes from teachers and principals, and students. Not necessarily towards me all of the time, but it is there in many forms and enough to see it when it happens. Too many times is it that the victim gets further victimized by coming out with it to others. 

Anyway... 

That crossed my mind as well. Is the question really, "Why is he coming out with this now?", or is it "Why did he keep it to himself when it happened at the time?" They amount to the same thing really; now vs later. I suspect that he failed to report this immediately out of self-interest and perhaps anxiety, and let it out after the Babcock situation emerged. If he has been bothered by this for some time, then it makes sense to come out with it after another player's situation emerged. Consider how many women came out with their ordeals in the context of #metoo.

If you read Cecil Harris' book (I would recommend it), "Breaking the Ice: The Black Experience in Professional Hockey", you are left with the impression that every black ice hockey player deals with this kind of crap on a daily basis. It never really never ends over time. Our culture seems to perpetuate problems like this by denying that they exist, and then smearing anyone who continues to insist that they do. Look at how some folks on various ice hockey sites are treating Aliu. The NHL is hardly the National Women's Soccer League captained by Megan Rapinoe. Although individual players on the team support Pride, I can only think of Brian Burke as being a truly solid supporter of Altcoin rights with some influence (management) in the sport. Heck, if a poster on this board were gaey, they would not be able to say so as the term itself is filtered from the site. I understand why, but the point still holds in 2019.

I assume that Treliving gets little sleep during the regular season as it is. How unfortunate that the guy has to deal with this stuff. Something tells me that despite Bettman being quite pragmatic and trying to get in front of issues like this, the NHL still does not have coherent policies for dealing with sexual assault, sexism, transphobia, racism etc. The parent culture and ice hockey culture are about ignoring problems not solving them. If you go to Paul Henderson's Wikipedia page, nary a word of his criticism of ice hockey is evident, and he was openly critical of violence in the game. Consequently, if Treliving fires Peters for something said a decade ago, some people are going to express anger as was the case when poor Cherry was fired for simply pointing out that immigrants are ingrates for not buying poppies. If he keeps Peters as coach and these allegations are confirmed, then this might dog the team at every charity event they sponsor and at every game they play. Can you imagine the media coverage if a dozen Flames fans hold signs protesting Peters' behaviour? Talk about a no win situation for Treliving.

Archived