Bill Peters - 17th Flames Coach

phoenix66

53 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Call it lack of getting up for games, late starting or whatever.

The team has a problem in the 1st minutes of games.

Scored on or taking penalties in the opening minutes.

Once that happens, they start chasing.

What gave them wins last year was the belief they could apply pressure and take back control.

This year they lose momentum when they start with the special teams.

The PP isn;t working, drains their momentum and kills the regular lines for 2-3 shifts after.

The PK is being used too much and does the same.

Once they get down a goal they start doing things they don't normally do.

The bottom six is a mess.

A given line only plays good for one period.

They can;t seem to form a cohesive unit.

Last year we have Mangiapane-Ryan-Hathaway, who developed chemistry.

This year, the 3rd and 4th lines can;t seem to play good for a whole game.

That sounds right. 

last night they had one good PP look. Then on the Shorty against they took around a minute trying to get into the zone and then after LA shot it down the ice they did a rush and should’ve changed, but LA stopped them and then they tried another rush and it’s when they gave it away. Gio didn’t seem ready. 

tough game and I think they looked hungover or their legs were cement. 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, robrob74 said:

I think the coach could do something to the lineup to shake things up. I get others think the top line is great and it is! But I still think it kills the ability to have a quality 2nd and 3rd Line.

albeit, the team is starting to look banged up. 

I just don't know that the top line is the problem.

They might need a new look on the road, just so the other teams can;t play their top shutdown against it.

Tkachuk-Monahan-Frolik

JH-Backlund-Lindholm.

3 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I just don't know that the top line is the problem.

They might need a new look on the road, just so the other teams can;t play their top shutdown against it.

Tkachuk-Monahan-Frolik

JH-Backlund-Lindholm.

I don’t think they’re the problem per se either. Just that so much of the talent is placed on it that the roster lacks it on the 3rd line. I think they can roll 3 lines safely if they spread it out. 

I don’t think the coach is willing to. 

10 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I don’t think they’re the problem per se either. Just that so much of the talent is placed on it that the roster lacks it on the 3rd line. I think they can roll 3 lines safely if they spread it out. 

I don’t think the coach is willing to. 

Except you can't break up Monahan and Gaudreau, because Monahan needs someone to feed him the puck. Lindholm goes back to being a 45 point player on any other line. 

The answer to the scoring depth lies in figuring out how to get Bennett going.

3 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Except you can't break up Monahan and Gaudreau, because Monahan needs someone to feed him the puck. Lindholm goes back to being a 45 point player on any other line. 

The answer to the scoring depth lies in figuring out how to get Bennett going.

oh yes! Not breaking Monahan and Gaudreau up, and think they keep it up. 

but those Lindholm 45-50 points elsewhere are 45-50 points that weren’t In other part of the roster before. 

Those are about 15-20 goals on a different part of the roster that is not there. Maybe even more?

1 minute ago, robrob74 said:

oh yes! Not breaking Monahan and Gaudreau up, and think they keep it up. 

but those Lindholm 45-50 points elsewhere are 45-50 points that weren’t In other part of the roster before. 

Those are about 15-20 goals on a different part of the roster that is not there. Maybe even more?

Not really because you taking away 15 goals by moving Lindholm off of the top line.

Lindholm isn't really a play driver he is solid defensively and he is good at finishing opportunities, but he doesn't drive offense on his own, similar to Monahan.

I don't think you gain a whole lot on the 2nd line by putting Lindholm on there, but you lose a defensive presence on the top line by taking him off the top line.

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

Not really because you taking away 15 goals by moving Lindholm off of the top line.

Lindholm isn't really a play driver he is solid defensively and he is good at finishing opportunities, but he doesn't drive offense on his own, similar to Monahan.

I don't think you gain a whole lot on the 2nd line by putting Lindholm on there, but you lose a defensive presence on the top line by taking him off the top line.

I think you still create offence elsewhere. He had that point total without them. And they produced without him. So we won’t know because they’ll never try. Right now we barely get anything from other lines and if they can’t score, the other team just has to shut down one line. 

I want to see threats throughout the line, not just one line, and occasionally from Backs’ line.

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

Probably the most candid interview I've seen Peters give since he's been here. Pretty funny stuff, but also very accurate. 

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/peters-you-play-sh-tty-defence-good-luck-getting-out-of-your-own-end~1810040

OMG that was amazing. "We all know where you have to go to score. If you're going to rob a bank, you have to go to the bank". hahahaha, priceless.

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

Probably the most candid interview I've seen Peters give since he's been here. Pretty funny stuff, but also very accurate. 

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/peters-you-play-sh-tty-defence-good-luck-getting-out-of-your-own-end~1810040

Saw this earlier...never seen Peters this animated. Good to see his intensity on display, this man is dialled in...he switch topics on a dime and u can tell he’s a student of sports in general. Now none of this will matter if they don’t pull out the W tonight...

3 hours ago, cross16 said:

Great interview. I like that he pointed out Monahan's attention to defense and playing a more physical game. It has been noticeable, the points will come as Peters says as long as they keep doing the right things defensively.

• 5 weeks later...
4 hours ago, conundrumed said:

All that I have to say, is cut the effing line juggling.

Breathe Peters.

Don't turn Monahan into Ryan.

It's funny.

The PP is a problem right now, but nothing changes with the setup.

Anyone that scouts the team knows exactly what the top unit will do.

Change it up.

We've seen some good lines but not for any length of time.

Stick with something for more than a game.

Let them gets used to it.

8 hours ago, travel_dude said:

It's funny.

The PP is a problem right now, but nothing changes with the setup.

Anyone that scouts the team knows exactly what the top unit will do.

Change it up.

We've seen some good lines but not for any length of time.

Stick with something for more than a game.

Let them gets used to it.

Should we be giving the hairy eyeball to Peters saying they wanted Monahan to work on other aspects of his game? So now his scoring is drying up?

40 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Should we be giving the hairy eyeball to Peters saying they wanted Monahan to work on other aspects of his game? So now his scoring is drying up?

I could forgive Monahan if he wasn't having games where he's -5.

But, I would prefer that the scorers score and the shutdown players shutdown.

We've had last change for a few games, and BP insists on playing top vs top.

Backlund is doing squat, so let him face the best.

Then again, he's not shutting down anyone these days.

4 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Depends. I'll have to try and watch this a litlte more closely over the next few games to see if I can spot more about the changes. 

My initial take, is short term pain long term gain. I've said for a while that if the Flames truly want to take that next step as a team and as a franchise they need more from Monahan and Gaudreau in the leadership/star department. Do the little things right, be excellent at both ends of the ice, be able to go power on power all the time, match-ups etc etc etc. I thikn for most of their career they've been left to be majority offence and not do the little things right and if Peters is trying to change this, i'm here for that. I've seen some good changes in Monahan this year and some signs that perhaps he is developing towards that player. But then you have Vegas where he's a minus 5....

Kent Wilson had an interesting look at this on twitter. The Flames were one of the best teams in Expected goals for last year (Ie they were a really good team at creating offence) and now they are middle of the pack. they are middle of the pack mostly due to the fact that Monahan, Gaudreau, LIndholm have gone from being elite to being 4th line calibre. Yes, you heard that right Monahan, Gaudreau, LIndholm have expected Gf%s that would put them behind some 4th liners. If that's due to a system change then yes, Peters deserves flak. I don't see it, but i'll look harder. 

22 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Do we agree with Brian Burke that a coaches job is to prepare the game plan and it's 110% on the players to motivate themselves?  

Yup.

Across all sports I've always found that the best teams are player led and accountable to each other. i don't find many good teams that consistently need their coach to motivate them. From time to time, sure but over the long haul players need to motivate themselves and hold each other accountable to that. 

The coaches that are always motivating and always pushing buttons are the ones who don't tend to last long. 

1 minute ago, The_People1 said:

Do we agree with Brian Burke that a coaches job is to prepare the game plan and it's 110% on the players to motivate themselves?  

Yes.

If you are a grown man, making millions of dollars and you need someone else to motivate you, then you should retire.

Heck I don't make millions of dollars and I don't need someone to motivate me to do my job.

22 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Yup.

Across all sports I've always found that the best teams are player led and accountable to each other. i don't find many good teams that consistently need their coach to motivate them. From time to time, sure but over the long haul players need to motivate themselves and hold each other accountable to that. 

The coaches that are always motivating and always pushing buttons are the ones who don't tend to last long. 

15 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Yes.

If you are a grown man, making millions of dollars and you need someone else to motivate you, then you should retire.

Heck I don't make millions of dollars and I don't need someone to motivate me to do my job.

But I guess there can always be a Matt Duchene scenario where the players don't buy the game plan the coach is selling and totally tune out.  So the coach could be de-motivational.

8 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

But I guess there can always be a Matt Duchene scenario where the players don't buy the game plan the coach is selling and totally tune out.  So the coach could be de-motivational.

I think the sense that a coach be motivational or de motivational is that a player that likes the coach and likes the system is more likely to play hard for that coach than a player who doesn't like the coach or system.

That being said I think it's on the coach to get the players hyped up and ready to go. 

Archived