Bill Peters - 17th Flames Coach

phoenix66

2 hours ago, MAC331 said:

Why single Neal out, all 3 shooters were terrible efforts.

I feel like the Flames relies more on skill than compete level against the Canucks. Definitely Defensively they did. There was a lot of watching in our own zone, on 2 of the 3 goals. BSD needed to save on two of the goals, but the whole team effort on D was terrible.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, robrob74 said:

I feel like the Flames relies more on skill than compete level against the Canucks. Definitely Defensively they did. There was a lot of watching in our own zone, on 2 of the 3 goals. BSD needed to save on two of the goals, but the whole team effort on D was terrible.

One of the things that I was feeling watching that game was that although they were badly out-chanced, I thought that the Canucks looked a lot more dangerous. Every time Boeser or Petterson would carry the puck into the Flames zone, it felt like a very real possibility that they would score. I'm not sure what it is, but the Flames tend to watch players like that. I realize that Petterson is super shifty, and it's easier said that done, but seriously - hit him. I don't mean do something dirty, or take any liberties with him, but make him not want to go into the corners. Just play him the same way that you would any other star. 

And you're right, on at least the second goal, they just needed a save. 

If I'm being totally candid, I think that they're close this year, but they're not the real deal just yet. With the exception of a couple of big games earlier in the season, I don't feel like our team is the best at rising to the occasion against some of the teams that they really need to. Teams like the Canucks and the Oilers come out to play against the Flames, and the season series record illustrates that. Those are teams that the Flames should look dominant against. I also felt that way a few nights ago against the Sharks. There was a distinct playoff atmosphere going into that one, and they got beat. I know that there are reasons for it - the Sharks are a really good team, for starters, but they also came out to play. I might think that Evander Kane is the second biggest D-Bag in the league named Kane, but he shows up to play against the Flames. We need *that*. That's what I'm hoping that we'll see out of players like James Neal, and that's not to single him out as a problem, just that that's what he can bring. I think that we saw that in Sam Bennett in the game against the Sharks with the Simek hit - Sammy was all over the place. He undressed Erik Karlsson (Erik effing Karlsson!!) three times that game, and he threw some big hits, and got under everybody's skin. That's what we need to see, game after game, and that's when we'll be contenders. 

I know there's no rivalry, per se, but let's see how they do against Tampa. Numbers one and two in the league, and the Flames go in on a three game-losing streak. How will they respond? 

Love.   

51 minutes ago, Heartbreaker said:

One of the things that I was feeling watching that game was that although they were badly out-chanced, I thought that the Canucks looked a lot more dangerous. Every time Boeser or Petterson would carry the puck into the Flames zone, it felt like a very real possibility that they would score. I'm not sure what it is, but the Flames tend to watch players like that. I realize that Petterson is super shifty, and it's easier said that done, but seriously - hit him. I don't mean do something dirty, or take any liberties with him, but make him not want to go into the corners. Just play him the same way that you would any other star. 

And you're right, on at least the second goal, they just needed a save. 

If I'm being totally candid, I think that they're close this year, but they're not the real deal just yet. With the exception of a couple of big games earlier in the season, I don't feel like our team is the best at rising to the occasion against some of the teams that they really need to. Teams like the Canucks and the Oilers come out to play against the Flames, and the season series record illustrates that. Those are teams that the Flames should look dominant against. I also felt that way a few nights ago against the Sharks. There was a distinct playoff atmosphere going into that one, and they got beat. I know that there are reasons for it - the Sharks are a really good team, for starters, but they also came out to play. I might think that Evander Kane is the second biggest D-Bag in the league named Kane, but he shows up to play against the Flames. We need *that*. That's what I'm hoping that we'll see out of players like James Neal, and that's not to single him out as a problem, just that that's what he can bring. I think that we saw that in Sam Bennett in the game against the Sharks with the Simek hit - Sammy was all over the place. He undressed Erik Karlsson (Erik effing Karlsson!!) three times that game, and he threw some big hits, and got under everybody's skin. That's what we need to see, game after game, and that's when we'll be contenders. 

I know there's no rivalry, per se, but let's see how they do against Tampa. Numbers one and two in the league, and the Flames go in on a three game-losing streak. How will they respond? 

Love.   

I agree we were winning early by being aggressive and taking it to the opposition both offensively and defensively . Lately it seems like EVERYONE is focused on scoring only and have gotten away from what was making it all possible. The team needs to refocus.

^^^

Couple of things Heartbreaker.

I agree that Pettersen needs to be hit.  That's how you play him.  He's shifty, but goes to dirty areas.  He also can be taken on the boards.

Beoser has one of the best shots I have seen.  You give him time in the slot, he will pick any corner he wants.

As far as the Oilers?  We've played them 3 times.

Two of the three have been after playing the night before.

We beat them cleanly in the game after a day off.

They won a game against us 1-0, the night after we played a tough game against NAS the night before.

We won another game against them after playing DET the night before.

The Sharks game?  I'm not going to draw too much out of that one.  GIving them the 2-1 lead wasn;t that big a deal.  Until you throw Smith in there.  

He's not going to give you a chance to win when already down a goal.  He will let in 2 or 3.  Just being honest.  I think the players feel that way too.

They had more confidence before when he was able to kep the goals down or the games were looser and they could pot 7. 

1 minute ago, JTech780 said:

Monahan is the only player to score in the shootout for us this year, Tkachuk is 0 for 3.

You're right.  I must have been thinking of last year.  

I knew the Flames were garbage in shootouts, but that stat is embarrassing.  

Neal is now 0-3.  Time to give someone else a chance.  

If we really care about shootouts, we should be using the guys with really good shots or guys that have moves.

On any given day, Monahan and Lindholm have the best shots.  Neither were looking good in the VAN game.

JH and Frolik have good moves, but neither was good that night.

JH probably would have been a good choice since he used one move earlier on a breakaway.

In a low scoring game, where we put over 40 shots on nets, I don't think we would have much luck with anyone.  Using Tkachuk was not a great idea.  

11 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

If we really care about shootouts, we should be using the guys with really good shots or guys that have moves.

I think that is the key point, we shouldn't. They are a tool for entertainment and nothing more, gives you no insight to the quality or state of your team.

Case in point, Oilers are 3-0 in shootouts. 

4 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I think that is the key point, we shouldn't. They are a tool for entertainment and nothing more, gives you no insight to the quality or state of your team.

Yes but this is the game now and two points in a tight race is better than 1 point and our shooters seemed like they didn't care.

2 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Yes but this is the game now and two points in a tight race is better than 1 point and our shooters seemed like they didn't care.

Get your 2 points in regulation and OT and don't care about a skills contest. That's my point. Focus should always remain there. 

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

I tend to agree.  This never should have gone to shootout.  We had chances and got called for a weak penalty that nulified the rest of the OT for us.  The more important facet of the game for this type of skills comp is penalty shots and breakaways.  Sure, I'm PO'd about losing the extra point, but it's less concerning when we lose it during the skills comp.

Practice one on one, so you are ready for the PS and for breakaways.  

• 2 weeks later...

With BP it appears we have someone who can coach as well as manage. I believe that’s what we lacked the last few years is not just a coach but a bench manager. He’s done a better job managing games on the fly, lines for example. Coaching is one thing but in today’s game u really do need strong management skills especially with the younger players. All in all, we’ve “managed” to see the team play to its strengths this season and it’s evident we have a greater sense of a team identity because of it. 

16 hours ago, The_Snowbear said:

Part of What Bp has Show this Year is a coach unafraid to Call a Timeout A coach unafraid to pull a goalie if his team is playing like crap no matter what something that didnt happen last year

Exactly, he’s been much better at managing games. He’s a true tactician in the sense he’s very much in tuned to the game and the stats/analytics but he still trusts his gut! I think that balance has helped the team considerably this year. 

37 minutes ago, rickross said:

Exactly, he’s been much better at managing games. He’s a true tactician in the sense he’s very much in tuned to the game and the stats/analytics but he still trusts his gut! I think that balance has helped the team considerably this year. 

Whether he makes the right call or not, I like that the team responds anyway.  They don;t get down.  They don't get too high on themselves.  Always a coaching moment.  Game management is one of his strengths, though.  Play power vs power when your 2nd or other lines are going.  Recognize when a player is struggling and adjust.

• 1 month later...

Bill Peters deserves a proper applause/salute! 2nd best regular season record in franchise history in his 1st year as coach!...Western Conference and the Pacific Division are all of a sudden ours because of his coaching/leadership. Top 10 in Goals against and goals for! I still think there’s yet another gear this team can unlock. The man deserves credit for his work this year!

10 hours ago, rickross said:

Bill Peters deserves a proper applause/salute! 2nd best regular season record in franchise history in his 1st year as coach!...Western Conference and the Pacific Division are all of a sudden ours because of his coaching/leadership. Top 10 in Goals against and goals for! I still think there’s yet another gear this team can unlock. The man deserves credit for his work this year!

The only thing I question is the final decisions on goalies.

Some nights it looks like he makes a call and it doesn't work out.

Other nights it looks like the goalie coach makes the decision and it doesn't work out.

I do think he needs to stop talking about Smith's puck handling.

Not like it's a secret, but you want to keep the team guessing as to the strategy.

Saying you rely on it, allows teams to scout it.

Archived