Bill Peters - 17th Flames Coach

phoenix66

1 minute ago, rickross said:

There's tons to sort out on this team, where do Frolik, Stone and Valimaki slot in when they return? What to do with James Neal and the 3rd and 4th lines? For the most part they're good problems to have but we need to find scoring depth asap...JH leaving momentarily during the Flyers game was a wake up call. An injury to that 1st line and the offence dries right up

I wouldn't say tons at all but a few key player positional moves could resolve some of our short comings. I think the forward lines I provided here is the way to go. I think Stone becomes the 7th D on his return. Kylington and Prout go back to the A. Valimaki resumes where he left off. I believe Tkachuk could step right in on that top line if Gaudreau ever went down. This is a good group of players and the best depth position we have had in a long time.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the whole depth scoring and 2nd line issue is getting overblown. What is the expectation /benchmark?

At 5 on 5 the Flames generate 72% of their goals from their top 5 scorers. 

Most the top teams in the league (Leafs, Caps, Pens) are around 60-65%. Better, but not drastically so. Then you have a team like the Avs at 83%, Jets at 70% and the Sharks at 71%.

Flames would appear right at the avg to me. 

Would be nice if we had a little more doeth scoring, but why do you pay your top guys? You pay em to score for you and that’s what ours are doing so I have no complaints. Better to have the conversation about the bottom half not scoring than the top half IMO because then you have real problems. Also if Neal ever gets going, points will come for the likes of Janko, Ryan, Mang, Czarnik or whoever else is playing with him. 

12 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Would be nice if we had a little more doeth scoring, but why do you pay your top guys? You pay em to score for you and that’s what ours are doing so I have no complaints. Better to have the conversation about the bottom half not scoring than the top half IMO because then you have real problems. Also if Neal ever gets going, points will come for the likes of Janko, Ryan, Mang, Czarnik or whoever else is playing with him. 

I was thinking the same thing. If Neal ever gets going, the Flames percentage cross16 noted would plummet. That is good news. 

1 hour ago, rickross said:

There's tons to sort out on this team, where do Frolik, Stone and Valimaki slot in when they return? What to do with James Neal and the 3rd and 4th lines? For the most part they're good problems to have but we need to find scoring depth asap...JH leaving momentarily during the Flyers game was a wake up call. An injury to that 1st line and the offence dries right up

Stone doesn;t get back in except for a game here or there.

He's been passed by Valimaki and definitely by Ras.

Stone will take Prout's place if and when he comes back.

IT will be a tough decision between Kylington and Valimaki.

Both can be sent down.

Kylington has shown that he is ready for the NHL and has a ton of pro experience.

Valimaki "could" benefit from some time in Stockton.  Top minutes.  All situations.  He's not getting them in CGY so far.

Frolik is an easy fit.  Plays wherever he's needed.

PK minutes.

LW or RW.

With Backlund or with Janko or with Ryan.

Quine and Mangiapane will have to prove they have an extra gear to stay up.

Czarnik isn;t being helthy scratched as much as he's being used for a certain type of game.

The interesting thing is that we've done this well and we are missing what used to be key ingredients.  Top defensive C.  2nd line RW.  Top 6 D-man.  Spare D-man. 

46 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I think the whole depth scoring and 2nd line issue is getting overblown. What is the expectation /benchmark?

At 5 on 5 the Flames generate 72% of their goals from their top 5 scorers. 

Most the top teams in the league (Leafs, Caps, Pens) are around 60-65%. Better, but not drastically so. Then you have a team like the Avs at 83%, Jets at 70% and the Sharks at 71%.

Flames would appear right at the avg to me. 

Imagine if Backlund was keeping up with Tkachuk for points.  Or that other winger was close.

The 2nd line hasn't been an issue so much, but Tkachuk also scored 13 points on the PP.

Backlund has missed a lot of open nets.

Fixing the 2nd line is reall more about finding a fit.  Tkachuk scores more at home than on the road, which is strange because he's getting matched with offensive lines.

Bennett's had one good game in the last bunch.  In some ways he's holding Tkachuk back.

56 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Imagine if Backlund was keeping up with Tkachuk for points.  Or that other winger was close.

The 2nd line hasn't been an issue so much, but Tkachuk also scored 13 points on the PP.

Backlund has missed a lot of open nets.

Fixing the 2nd line is reall more about finding a fit.  Tkachuk scores more at home than on the road, which is strange because he's getting matched with offensive lines.

Bennett's had one good game in the last bunch.  In some ways he's holding Tkachuk back.

Backlunds is frustrating. The potential is there but the results usually aren't. He's a good defensive C but more production from the guy would greatly add to this teams potency. If that 2nd line can start clicking it'll be a handful having to deal with them right after a 1st line shift. 

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, rickross said:

This is where I want to see what we have in BP.  Lost 3 straight now, how does this team respond. Have we see the Flames peak already this season or can he still elevate this team after the holiday break ?

I think he takes a wait and see approach some nights.

You don't always have to use the hammer.

See how the team responds.

They had a good practice on Friday and had a let down on Saturday.

That's not on the coach.

What we have seen this season is what the team knows it's capable with good goaltending.

Even when the sloppy goals go in, they still believe they can win.

Saturday was one of those game where a crappy goal cost the team momentum.

The 2nd was a backbreaker, yet they managed to score one.

I forget, did JH have two breakaways?

Maybe it was one, but he had several glorious chances.

He scores on any of those are we are talking a different result.

BP seems to know when certain players are feeling it.

I would love to see him load up a line with JH-Lindholm-Neal for a few shifts.

Double shift Tkachuk with Janko and Frolik.

Just some different things other than playing JH with the 4th line.

BP's done a fair job of tinkering. Still a little over half a season open and he still has some good viable looks we haven't seen yet. I think it's just one of those things, keep the "work in progress" sign up.

He's done a damn good job for 3 months into the season.

If we focus game-in, game-out on what he should've done, I think that's a bit too much microscope.

Rasmus on the PP is a good example. Full time and teams will know it's coming and respond to knowing there's a big point shot.

Slip him in and out and it gives you a different look.

JG can do spotty double-shift with any line and provide a different look, as can Tkachuk.

I think he's done things sparingly to this point. Long ways to go yet.

In the big picture, he could be leaving the other coaches guessing a lot by season's end.

Which is exactly what we want.

I love his frankness too. Instills confidence, for me, that he does not 2nd guess things.

Proactive and reactive balances nicely.

Just a no nonsense coach, timeouts and challenges have been played very well.

There will always be "ifs" following losses, but on the whole I have zero complaints after 3 months of finding this team's groove.

Best part, I think he's still painting, so to speak.

If we make any trades, I hope it's Peters that drives it.

• 1 month later...

Wonder if Peters lack of playoff experience will have an impact on our playoff performances? When we made it under GG u could tell we were not a playoff ready team. I’m thinking BP will be able to have this team better prepared but the playoffs are a different beast altogether and we have a playoff rookie head coach, not too mention our goalies have little to no playoff experience either.  This will be an interesting post season to say the least  

53 minutes ago, rickross said:

Wonder if Peters lack of playoff experience will have an impact on our playoff performances? When we made it under GG u could tell we were not a playoff ready team. I’m thinking BP will be able to have this team better prepared but the playoffs are a different beast altogether and we have a playoff rookie head coach, not too mention our goalies have little to no playoff experience either.  This will be an interesting post season to say the least  

I think BP was an assistant coach when teams were winning in the playoffs . I don’t think of know if GG ever was.

Edited in:

Ok, so he started assistant coaching Detroit in 2011 so maybe not as much experience as I hoped. 

Nonetheless, I think that it’s really in the poker/chess player, you either have or you don’t.  Which coach is better at reading what in-game changes needs to happen.

Until last year the only playoff experience Trotz had was disappointment. 

Mike Sullivan had none before he took the Pens to the cup. 

Gerrard Gallant had little and got his team to the finals. 

Dan Byslma hadn't even coached a full season the league and won a cup. 

I find the whole "playoff experience" narrative overrated to being with but with coaches I view it as a non factor. Case in point, Babcock has yet to get out of the first round since Lindstrom retired. 

4 minutes ago, stubblejumper1 said:

Horrible call to put Neal as the third shooter.  

I think that you should not use Tkachuk at all untill he starts scoring again.

His last couple of attempts have been weak flip shots.

His go to move.

Not fooling many goalies.

Should have been Lindholm or Backlund.  Maybe Mangiapane (no book on him).  

JH wasn;t feeling it so I'm glad they didn;t go with him.

All in all, I can;t complain too much about coaching decisions tonight.

Refs decided to call a penalty for a marginal call after letting things get out of hand in the Nucks zone.

Haul a player down and stay down on him so you can get a two on one the other way.

Then call a hook after the shot is taken without diress.  

40 minutes ago, stubblejumper1 said:

Horrible call to put Neal as the third shooter.  

Neal probably should've been the first shooter. 

I didn't understand the Tkachuk pick because he's ice cold right now.  Maybe Mangiapane would've been good since he scored during the game.  But I would've went with Jankowski, Bennett, and Neal.

I agree, Neal played well (other than the bad interference penalty he took).  But at this point he is playing well for a third liner.  He is generating some offense for his teammates, but without looking at the stats I don't recall him having any scoring chances last night.

The reasons it bugged me so much are A. he is 0% in shootouts this year, B. he has a 0.04 shooting percentage (he only scores on 1 of every 25 shots) and C. a situation where a miss costs you a point is no place to "try to get him going."

At some point, weeks or months ago for me, you have to stop looking at what he did in the past and start judging the player on "what have you done for me lately."  I don't think he has done anything to earn a spot in the shootout.  

1 hour ago, stubblejumper1 said:

I agree, Neal played well (other than the bad interference penalty he took).  But at this point he is playing well for a third liner.  He is generating some offense for his teammates, but without looking at the stats I don't recall him having any scoring chances last night.

The reasons it bugged me so much are A. he is 0% in shootouts this year, B. he has a 0.04 shooting percentage (he only scores on 1 of every 25 shots) and C. a situation where a miss costs you a point is no place to "try to get him going."

At some point, weeks or months ago for me, you have to stop looking at what he did in the past and start judging the player on "what have you done for me lately."  I don't think he has done anything to earn a spot in the shootout.  

Valid thoughts. I think Peters was simply rewarding “effort” with the Neal selection, since effort and hard work has been missing from our team game the past few weeks. 

I'll say this, the choices need to be better thought out.

Monahan and Tkachuk have been cold recently, and the same in SO's.

Lindholm has a better release than Tkachuk.

Ras would have been a 1st choice for me, and get him to line up a slapshot from the circle.

Give the goalie some pause for the  next shooter.

Then have someone like Backlund with a decent deke move.

Then a shooter like Janko pick the top corner.

Picking guys for the shootout needs to be picked according to tendencies in the game.

What type of shot made it past the goalie and what type of goalie is in nets.

You scout every aspect of a game, so figure it out.

On ‎2019‎-‎02‎-‎10 at 7:17 AM, stubblejumper1 said:

Why single Neal out, all 3 shooters were terrible efforts.

Archived