Bill Peters - 17th Flames Coach

phoenix66

How do we know now if we won long term? Lindholm was drafted 5 years ago and hasn't done a whole lot. It's okay to bad mouth BT I'm sure he won't be to upset. SM had 22 goals his first year and then 31 and 27 goals. That's first line centre written all over him without veteran scorers on his wings. BT makes him sweat until September for a contract and pays him only 2 million more then his 4th line winger in Brower. Sorry, but BT has to go. I respect u being a fan through and through. It all just irks me lol. But, I'll live.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, TheFan99 said:

How do we know now if we won long term? Lindholm was drafted 5 years ago and hasn't done a whole lot. It's okay to bad mouth BT I'm sure he won't be to upset. SM had 22 goals his first year and then 31 and 27 goals. That's first line centre written all over him without veteran scorers on his wings. BT makes him sweat until September for a contract and pays him only 2 million more then his 4th line winger in Brower. Sorry, but BT has to go. I respect u being a fan through and through. It all just irks me lol. But, I'll live.

Have you actually watched him play? Honest question. If so, what is your definition of a whole lot? Because Lindholm is already a very good player and he is trending upwards. 

As for the other, I don't get the criticism of the Monahan contract. Gaudreau, Monahan, Giordano, Hamilton (when we had him), etc all signed for very good contracts. Trelivings ability to get his core players signed to value contracts is the key reason we enjoy the cap situation we are in. Are you suggesting he should have paid more then he had to?

Yes he overpaid for Brouwer, but every single GM in the league has a Brouwer or three on their roster. 

I'm just saying that BT has unusual priorities that's hard to figure out. He shouldn't make his future core 1st line players sweat when they have proven themselves in the NHL. Then dole out freely to players for a positional need. It pisses off the first line players that have bled red. Then allow the DH dressing room fiasco go on for so long. There's a dressing room problem in the saddle dome. He needed to nip that in the bud pronto. Not wait for seasons end so many times to rectify things. I trust Brian Burke but BT is a GM without much balls to do something in mid season. He waits until the end of another lost season.

36 minutes ago, TheFan99 said:

I'm just saying that BT has unusual priorities that's hard to figure out. He shouldn't make his future core 1st line players sweat when they have proven themselves in the NHL. Then dole out freely to players for a positional need. It pisses off the first line players that have bled red. Then allow the DH dressing room fiasco go on for so long. There's a dressing room problem in the saddle dome. He needed to nip that in the bud pronto. Not wait for seasons end so many times to rectify things. I trust Brian Burke but BT is a GM without much balls to do something in mid season. He waits until the end of another lost season.

32 minutes ago, TheFan99 said:

Dressing room problems in my mind fall on the GM. Let a bona fide nhler be the GM. Conroy is the guy to lead this team. He's articulate and good with the media and the dressing room probably respects him.

5 minutes ago, TheFan99 said:

Priorities should of been scoring and a goal tender. Smithy is old and fragile. Where's R. Anderson going to play and kilginton? Vallimaki? Stone at 3.25 million? I'm done talking now lol.

If I read between the lines, are you suggesting Bill Peters is going to fix it all? :ph34r:

21 minutes ago, CheersMan said:

If I read between the lines, are you suggesting Bill Peters is going to fix it all? :ph34r:

I think we will all be here in two years in the same situation. BT has never been a player in a NHL dressing room. He doesn't seem to have a handle on the most important issue which is the dressing room. I recall the senior members on here stating before GG hiring that Gelinas didn't run a proper PP.  So, what happened with BTs careful hire in D.Cameron guys? BT doesn't have Burkie to fall back on anymore.

6 minutes ago, TheFan99 said:

I think we will all be here in two years in the same situation. BT has never been a player in a NHL dressing room. He doesn't seem to have a handle on the most important issue which is the dressing room. I recall the senior members on here stating before GG hiring that Gelinas didn't run a proper PP.  So, what happened with BTs careful hire in D.Cameron guys? BT doesn't have Burkie to fall back on anymore.

I understand your frustration, I've felt the same way at times myself.  Sure Tree has made some mistakes but he has made some good moves and signings as well.  In the big picture, Tree has collected a good young talented pool of players and our futures looking not bad.  We look pretty good on paper, now we need a coach to teach these guys how to win.  "It's Go Time".  Hopefully Bill is the guy.

46 minutes ago, TheFan99 said:

Priorities should of been scoring and a goal tender. Smithy is old and fragile. Where's R. Anderson going to play and kilginton? Vallimaki? Stone at 3.25 million? I'm done talking now lol.

What suggestions do you have for these holes? I don't think that there are any free agent goalies out there that would address the problem, and we have spent much on goalies recently. As well, we have a few prospects coming up who need time in the league to develop. As you point out above, we are stacked at defence and that might adversely impact the playing time for the younger players. If we get another goalie, we might end up doing the same thing. I agree with you that goaltending is a potential problem...again. I think that Smith will be fine. I am just not sure that the others will be capable of carrying the team as often as they will be needed.

18 minutes ago, CheersMan said:

I understand your frustration, I've felt the same way at times myself.  Sure Tree has made some mistakes but he has made some good moves and signings as well.  In the big picture, Tree has collected a good young talented pool of players and our futures looking not bad.  We look pretty good on paper, now we need a coach to teach these guys how to win.  "It's Go Time".  Hopefully Bill is the guy.

B. Peters quit on his lower team and took a job with a more talented team. The guys in the dressing room know that. He's a C level coach that will preach no ones bigger then the team except when Bill is on the hot seat. I hope the red does awesome but these are pros were talking about. They need a A or B level NHL coach and a GM that's willing to do anything for them to win in all facets of the season and not Just at seasons end at the draft.

3 minutes ago, TheFan99 said:

B. Peters quit on his lower team and took a job with a more talented team. The guys in the dressing room know that. He's a C level coach that will preach no ones bigger then the team except when Bill is on the hot seat. I hope the red does awesome but these are pros were talking about. They need a A or B level NHL coach and a GM that's willing to do anything for them to win in all facets of the season and not just at the draft.

Ya but the new Carolina owner is too involved and somewhat cheap from what I've been reading, similar to the guy in OTT.  Bill had an out and he took it.  Trotz was not available, who else would you have preferred before BP?

21 minutes ago, CheersMan said:

Ya but the new Carolina owner is too involved and somewhat cheap from what I've been reading, similar to the guy in OTT.  Bill had an out and he took it.  Trotz was not available, who else would you have preferred before BP?

A. Vignaeult would of been my choice. 2 Stanley cup final appearances. Coached in major markets. If your a coach that can take two teams to the final then you got your Satoshi Nakamoto together. And a handle on things. I'm sure the players in red are sick of unknown coaches. BT doesn't seem to know that though cause he's a company man not a players GM.

1 minute ago, TheFan99 said:

A. Vignaeult would of been my choice. 2 Stanley cup final appearances. Coached in major markets. If your a coach that can take two teams to the final then you got your Satoshi Nakamoto together. And a handle on things.

I would have taken him as well.  I've always liked AV, Canucks made him the scape goat after terrible player moves by Gillies, and then AV won again on the Island.  2 SC final appearances is winning in my books.  

6 minutes ago, CheersMan said:

I would have taken him as well.  I've always liked AV, Canucks made him the scape goat after terrible player moves by Gillies, and then AV won again on the Island.  2 SC final appearances is winning in my books.  

BT is a company man. Not a players GM. Vignault led Montreal to the playoffs with tons of roster player injuries. He's a A level unemployed coach.

27 minutes ago, TheFan99 said:

B. Peters quit on his lower team and took a job with a more talented team. The guys in the dressing room know that. He's a C level coach that will preach no ones bigger then the team except when Bill is on the hot seat. I hope the red does awesome but these are pros were talking about. They need a A or B level NHL coach and a GM that's willing to do anything for them to win in all facets of the season and not Just at seasons end at the draft.

1 hour ago, TheFan99 said:

Dressing room problems in my mind fall on the GM. Let a bona fide nhler be the GM. Conroy is the guy to lead this team. He's articulate and good with the media and the dressing room probably respects him.

1 hour ago, TheFan99 said:

Damned if you do damned if you don't.

Problem with the coach.  Fire him after the season is over, because that's how you measure results and actually have other coaches available.

Problems in the dressing room.  Trade a star player because perhaps their desire to win is less than what you need,

Bring in two players that are excited to play here.

This in your mind is the GM having a poor set of priorities.  You were upset with the length of time BT negotiated with Johnny and Monahan, yet we somehow managed to stay below the cap, even after being stuck with players like Wideman and Stajan.  Paid the going rate at the time for a playoff performer, but he hasn;t lived up to the price we paid.  That's the NHL.

Since this is about the coach and not the GM, have you thought it might make sense to actually let him coach his first game before you trash him and the GM for hiring him?

45 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Damned if you do damned if you don't.

Problem with the coach.  Fire him after the season is over, because that's how you measure results and actually have other coaches available.

Problems in the dressing room.  Trade a star player because perhaps their desire to win is less than what you need,

Bring in two players that are excited to play here.

This in your mind is the GM having a poor set of priorities.  You were upset with the length of time BT negotiated with Johnny and Monahan, yet we somehow managed to stay below the cap, even after being stuck with players like Wideman and Stajan.  Paid the going rate at the time for a playoff performer, but he hasn;t lived up to the price we paid.  That's the NHL.

Since this is about the coach and not the GM, have you thought it might make sense to actually let him coach his first game before you trash him and the GM for hiring him?

It's been 4 years. What has BT done in that time coach wise to make us think differently. This is his 3rd coach another C level coach. Why do u guys get so mad over trashing BT and his moves lol. Black hawks sucked until they hired a experience coach in Quenville. He didn't win a cup before Chicago but at least he made the playoffs. Suck it up. GG never made the playoffs neither did BP. So, ya I'm not optimistic and that's ok. Fox was a 3rd Rd pick. Best defense prospect outside the NHL. Call his bluff and hold his rights until his fourth year. Make him go back to school a 4th year a year older when he wouldn't want too. Didn't have to include him in that Carolina deal.

2 hours ago, TheFan99 said:

It's been 4 years. What has BT done in that time coach wise to make us think differently. This is his 3rd coach another C level coach. Why do u guys get so mad over trashing BT and his moves lol. Black hawks sucked until they hired a experience coach in Quenville. He didn't win a cup before Chicago but at least he made the playoffs. Suck it up. GG never made the playoffs neither did BP. So, ya I'm not optimistic and that's ok. Fox was a 3rd Rd pick. Best defense prospect outside the NHL. Call his bluff and hold his rights until his fourth year. Make him go back to school a 4th year a year older when he wouldn't want too. Didn't have to include him in that Carolina deal.

I'm starting to believe that Fox was simply the compensation for the Canes having to take on Dougie's alleged baggage. Sure,Fox might not have signed with  the Flames but you're telling me BT couldn't even get a pick in return? Not even a 3rd or 4th? Seems suspect. At the same time if Fox didn't want to be here why hold him hostage? You'd just be wasting time and $ investing in him only to have him walk for nothing. This trade is too early to call but atleast BT isn't just standing pat. 

2 minutes ago, rickross said:

I'm starting to believe that Fox was simply the compensation for the Canes having to take on Dougie's alleged baggage. Sure,Fox might not have signed with  the Flames but you're telling me BT couldn't even get a pick in return? Not even a 3rd or 4th? Seems suspect. At the same time if Fox didn't want to be here why hold him hostage? You'd just be wasting time and $ investing in him only to have him walk for nothing. This trade is too early to call but atleast BT isn't just standing pat. 

But money isn’t an issue with college guys. They can’t get paid for anything Flames related. He’d have to pay his own way to Flames prospect camps without a dime from Calgary to be eligible to play NCAA.

although I agree, he should’ve traded him in a separate deal, even next summer/draft.

1 minute ago, robrob74 said:

But money isn’t an issue with college guys. They can’t get paid for anything Flames related. He’d have to pay his own way to Flames prospect camps without a dime from Calgary to be eligible to play NCAA.

although I agree, he should’ve traded him in a separate deal, even next summer/draft.

Oh I just meant the $ they'd spend on his development in general. They'd want to keep this kid happy so they'd try and accommodate him as much as possible, and it'd all be for nothing! It shows just how eager the Flames were to rid themselves of Dougie...they knew how coveted Fox was. Getting Hanifin and Lindholm is a big deal, I would have loved a return for Fox but it's apparent there's more to Dougie than we know. Maybe all that photo bombing during other players interviews didn't go over well in the locker room ?

7 hours ago, rickross said:

7 hours ago, robrob74 said:

We are so quick to assume BT just "threw in " Fox, but we dont know how those conversations went .

That article yesterday showed that the conversations with hextall was about Hamilton for Simmonds, but fell apart because Philly wouldn't include a young D that BT insisted on , I can only assume his talks with Toronto were about the same kind of theme.

We got 2 young team controlled players , who have yet to hit their ceiling , one possibly may become as good if not better than the best player in the deal now. We will likely sign them to good deals for the next 5-6 years (Maybe a Bridge for Hanifin)

We gave up yes, the best player now.. who is a UFA in 3 years , a Forward who is UFA next summer 

Is it not possible that it took the rights to Fox to not give up a more substantial forward, like , say , Bennett?.. or a more substantial prospect like Vallimaki or Andersson ?

BT was obviously running at least a 3 team negotiation . its safe to say each piece was critical to the deal that happened , nobody was just Thrown in 

9 hours ago, rickross said:

Fox was likely necessary to make the trade and offset the cost certainty. Hamtilon and Ferland for Hanifin/Lindholm is probably a much more clear Flames "win" due to contracts and age. Flames are picking up 2 younger, core like pieces that they can lock up and cost control longer. That fact alone swings a deal more to the Flames favor if Fox is not in the deal, so Fox would likely have been encessary to offset some of that cost certainty/future that the Flames are gaining. 

As much as pre trade we discussed Hamilton should net Hanifin/LIndholm only in reality that's not really fair or true.

15 hours ago, TheFan99 said:

Hanifin is as good as Hamilton when Hamilton first arrived.  All signs point to Hanifin being just as productive long term.  He is trending very well.  He has size and is willing to use it more than the bigger Hamilton.  The bigger issue for me is the loss of a RHS RD.  They are harder to find than LHS LD.

Lindholm's worse year is Ferland's best year.  There's no reason believe Lindholm will put up worse numbers in Ferland's role (1st line RW).  Not to mention, if all goes super well, Lindholm could hit 70-points on that line.  Plus, he gives us a RHS C in the top 6.  Something we were missing.

Archived