Bill Peters - 17th Flames Coach

phoenix66

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

All true, but that 20th ranked PP was with a team that finished as a lottery pick team and wound up picking 1st overall. 

I can't take credit for this but on another forum some worked out that if you look at Wards PPs over his tenure he has averaged out as a top 10 PP.  obviously some highs and lows in there but that's typical. I don't know of a coach or a team that consistently has a high ranking PP. it's a pretty cyclical thing. 

Boston     2007-2014  combined 9th overall - 18.6%
New Jersey 2015-2018  Combined 16 overall - 19.6%

Calgary was 19th(17.4) and 25th (17.7) in that same time period 

No complaints .. a definite improvement :) 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i totally stole this from another site , but its a good summary I couldn't have done better LOL

The Bolded gave me a lot of happiness :) 

Geoff Ward Interview:

-a month ago, not on the radar (thought he was going to go back to NJ)
-came to Flames b/c of the people he was going to work with and the challenge that lies ahead 

-with respect to why not trying to become a HC, cares more about relationships, working towards a goal together, likes to be part of a team

-worked at WC with Germany last 3 years
-very impressed by Bill Peters, same philosophy as Bill Peters 
-heard good things about Huska
-went through HC interview process with Treliving 2 years ago at the WC
-a small town high school PE teacher by trade and started coaching midget and fell in love with it --> career coach with experience at all levels

Relating to players:
-relating to players: need to be genuine, get to know players on a personal level, have a vested interest in them, earn the respect of those you work with
-a personal relationship with players is much more important than it was 10-15 years ago 

His role:
-understands he'll coach forwards and PP, in-game analysis, and in-game adjustments, but expects they'll take team coaching 

PP coaching: 
----design a PP to fit strengths of players; 
----needs to see what strengths of individual Flames players, including if there are players that haven't been used on the PP before but should be used on the PP; 
----will ask what players like to do on PP (their preferences matter too because he wants them to be comfortable and confident); 

----get pucks and bodies to the net, get PK back on PK's heels; 

How to play hockey:
----up-tempo 
----needs to be a fast transition, get defencemen up into the play and supporting the attack (like Pittsburgh, Vegas, Washington)

I am pretty happy with the hires. Ward is a good hockey guy with a proven record on the PP. Huksa has a great history developing D (even before the Flames) and will provide some continuity for the call ups. Huksa is a little green, but Peters is great at managing D and the PK and will be a good mentor. I think the staff fits well together. It also fits our D heavy roster. 

After reading a few rundowns from people who were at the season ticket holders meetings, one thing that has me pretty excited is that Treliving made note to say that the team will very much be a meritocracy, and that the players will earn there playing time, and the players salary won't have anything to do with playing time.

Without being there, it almost sounds like this was an area of contention for Treliving last year.

I just have this sterling that we will see prospects given more of a chance under Peters.

3 hours ago, JTech780 said:

After reading a few rundowns from people who were at the season ticket holders meetings, one thing that has me pretty excited is that Treliving made note to say that the team will very much be a meritocracy, and that the players will earn there playing time, and the players salary won't have anything to do with playing time.

Without being there, it almost sounds like this was an area of contention for Treliving last year.

I just have this sterling that we will see prospects given more of a chance under Peters.

Could mean a lot of things. It could mean they will hang onto Brouwer even as a 13th forward (hope not) or the same for Stone on defense. The curiosity builds.

1 hour ago, MAC331 said:

Could mean a lot of things. It could mean they will hang onto Brouwer even as a 13th forward (hope not) or the same for Stone on defense. The curiosity builds.

What's meritocracy about that?  Lazar, Hathaway, Mangiapanne, Shore, heck even Stajan beat out Brouwer last season.  If Brouwer stays for any reason its the exact opposite of meritocracy.... just a bunch of PC words to mask the management's acceptance of mediocrity.  

5 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Yeah I rolled my eyes at that one. He always says that, but I never see it.

Fool me once, shame on me,

Fool me twice, shame on me,

Fool me thrice, shame on me,

Fool me 4 times, ahh I give up, lol.

At the season ticket holders meeting, Treliving also mentioned that part of the reason Gulutzan was fired was his inability to take charge and lead the team. He pointed out that while we do have vet players to help lead, our core is pretty young (Bennett, Gaudreau, Monahan, Tkachuk, Jankowski, Hamilton, where lets be honest, Gaudreau and Hamilton are the elder statesmen of that group... at 24). Gulutzan had an extremely hands off approach believing that our team should almost always lead itself (which works when you have more veteran teams, like San Jose, Chicago, or Detroit during the Babcock years), but with a young team is going to lead to a lot of inconsistencies. Meanwhile, Peters is definitely going to be active in the teams leadership, which should help right some of the inconsistencies.

• 3 weeks later...

What's baffling about the GG firing is the team had one of the best road records in the league. Home record was bad even when GG had the last line change choice. So does that spell bad coaching? Why were they so good on the disadvantage road games but were terrible at home? BT should of stuck with GG a couple more years. 

15 minutes ago, TheFan99 said:

What's baffling about the GG firing is the team had one of the best road records in the league. Home record was bad even when GG had the last line change choice. So does that spell bad coaching? Why were they so good on the disadvantage road games but were terrible at home? BT should of stuck with GG a couple more years. 

Is that a testament to good coaching?

Roll 4 lines and win on the road, but can;t match a line at home to save your life?

Have one of the most gifted players 3v3 and you start losing all your OT games?

You seem to have come to the same conclusion about coaching, but suggest BT should have kept Gully?

Maybe Peters isn;t the best choice, but staying with GG would have been worse.  He just didn;t get it.

After GGs two or three outbursts at practice what he was saying to the team was right. All his outbursts were at home practices. Can't hang everything on the coach all the time.  Winnipeg stuck with Marice after a couple under performing seasons and it payed off. I guess we'll see how it goes with BP. 

10 minutes ago, TheFan99 said:

After GGs two or three outbursts at practice what he was saying to the team was right. All his outbursts were at home practices. Can't hang everything on the coach all the time.  Winnipeg stuck with Marice after a couple under performing seasons and it payed off. I guess we'll see how it goes with BP. 

What's going on?  Just grumpy the Flames made no trades to date?  GG had multiple problems and had to go.  That was a start, now we need an elite-level right shot RW...

I recall BT Said whe he fired Hartley that Hartley took the team as far as they can go and wanted a coach to take them to the next level so in comes GG. That didn't go to well so I've lost all confidence in BTs decisions. I'm not sure what to think anymore. His coaching decisions seem to be rendered without thought. We need the old guy like lamoriello. 

11 minutes ago, TheFan99 said:

I recall BT Said whe he fired Hartley that Hartley took the team as far as they can go and wanted a coach to take them to the next level so in comes GG. That didn't go to well so I've lost all confidence in BTs decisions. I'm not sure what to think anymore. His coaching decisions seem to be rendered without thought. We need the old guy like lamoriello. 

The Flames did indeed progress significantly, in terms of possession, from the Hartley days, but in terms of wins not so much.  Regardless, GG had to go for a multitude of reasons.  BT is being consistent, whether that is going to lead where they need to go or not is up in the air.  As for Lamorello, we'll see how he does with the NYI in this modern era.  They desperately need a starting goalie so it will be interesting to see how he manages that, and whether he can sign Tavares.  He hasn't done much to date, save the coaching changes which pretty much fell into his lap.....

The One thing I like about BT is he's a relentless hard worker. He scouts harder then most of his scouting staff does. He drives him self to some far away games to check out players. Wish sometimes he would be impulsive and have a knee jerk reaction towards the team. He doesn't seem to mind a wasted season in order to be careful. The movie money ball where brad Pitt does donuts in a parking lot and walks in the next day and cleans house. BT Being careful hasn't really benefited the team much. 

12 minutes ago, TheFan99 said:

The One thing I like about BT is he's a relentless hard worker. He scouts harder then most of his scouting staff does. He drives him self to some far away games to check out players. Wish sometimes he would be impulsive and have a knee jerk reaction towards the team. He doesn't seem to mind a wasted season in order to be careful. The movie money ball where brad Pitt does donuts in a parking lot and walks in the next day and cleans house. BT Being careful hasn't really benefited the team much. 

Careful planning is essential to running a NHL team.

One knee-jerk reaction can undo years of smart drafting or a 1st overall.

EDM gets gifted McDavid.

Trade 1st and a 2nd for an AHL D-man that you end up letting go for nothing.

Trade Hall for a steady, un-offensive D-man that helps the team but is not the puckmover you need.

Need to get tougher, so overpay for Lucic.

Trade Eberle for Strome in what was described as a cap dump, because you just finished overpaying Russell. 

BT, on the other hand, trades picks for s stud D-man.

He trades more picks for a sought after tough D-man.

His negotiations with RFA's are really slow, but gets stars signed for less than league value.

The knee jerk reactions are the ones he regrets.

Bollig.

Trade for Stone and be forced to re-sign him because you are trying to retain value you've already spent.

Re-sign Bouma even though the signs were there he would regress.

Maybe he loses out on trades because he's too slow to pull the trigger.  Maybe it's just what he has to offer isn't wanted for a particular deal.

I'm not going to make excuses for him.  I just think he's done some good things that outweigh the bad.

9 hours ago, TheFan99 said:

I think BT has in his mind how he wants to see this team develop and play a certain style. I would say to GG's credit he got the ball rolling however BP was always who BT wanted. He became available and end of story.

I have to say I was very impressed with CAR when they played here this past season, fast and upbeat tempo of game.

1 hour ago, MAC331 said:

I think BT has in his mind how he wants to see this team develop and play a certain style. I would say to GG's credit he got the ball rolling however BP was always who BT wanted. He became available and end of story.

I have to say I was very impressed with CAR when they played here this past season, fast and upbeat tempo of game.

I dont think GG got anything going, lol! The team never sustained the system and that’s why he’s fired. They never played consistently in the system enough to win, if they did, it ended up being robotic, or not second nature. I think that’s why we see good possession stats but very little goals.

one might say we don’t have the scoring punch to do it, but we should have one if the most offensive D cores to score more from the backend and that didn’t happen.

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

I dont think GG got anything going, lol! The team never sustained the system and that’s why he’s fired. They never played consistently in the system enough to win, if they did, it ended up being robotic, or not second nature. I think that’s why we see good possession stats but very little goals.

one might say we don’t have the scoring punch to do it, but we should have one if the most offensive D cores to score more from the backend and that didn’t happen.

I will disagree wit you but just a matter of opinion. Possession hockey was one of the key components they wanted and a lot of everything else went to H. Maybe guys like GG are just meant to be Assistants, doesn't mean they don't know their hockey.

1 minute ago, MAC331 said:

I will disagree wit you but just a matter of opinion. Possession hockey was one of the key components they wanted and a lot of everything else went to H. Maybe guys like GG are just meant to be Assistants, doesn't mean they don't know their hockey.

Oh I didn’t say he doesn’t know, just that he’s not a HC in the NHL.

We needed a sniper (30 goals) on that right side. Not another playmaker. Hamilton could of gotten us that asset. We don't need anymore defensmen. BT and his love for defensemen. I know there isn't plenty of 30 goal right shot wingers but certainly their must of been something better then Lindholm? I don't get it guys? Elliot Friedman said he's not sure what BT is thinking.  K. Shattenkirk was traded by stlouis as a future UFA and stlouis received two good prospects and two draft picks as a rental. Hamilton had 3 years left at 5million & led league in goals. We got 2 good UNSIGNED players for 2 impactful roster players and one of the best defense prospects outside of the Nhl.

58 minutes ago, TheFan99 said:

We needed a sniper (30 goals) on that right side. Not another playmaker. Hamilton could of gotten us that asset. We don't need anymore defensmen. BT and his love for defensemen. I know there isn't plenty of 30 goal right shot wingers but certainly their must of been something better then Lindholm? I don't get it guys? Elliot Friedman said he's not sure what BT is thinking.  K. Shattenkirk was traded by stlouis as a future UFA and stlouis received two good prospects and two draft picks as a rental. Hamilton had 3 years left at 5million & led league in goals. We got 2 good UNSIGNED players for 2 impactful roster players and one of the best defense prospects outside of the Nhl.

Simply put, the Canes win in the short term.  The Flames win long term.

Archived