Bill Peters - 17th Flames Coach

phoenix66

1 hour ago, MAC331 said:

They don't have a win now team but that is the MON mentality LOL

Let's just say ownership is as stupid as Bergevin being the only reason he is still there.

I think all Canadian teams are the same, minus the jets who realized the only way to build is through the draft. What players want to play there? It’s the same with nearly every Canadian market. We just seem to not get it, or only half get it. 

We have to make the playoffs and that is what seems to be the only importance the ownership place on the team. They’re willing to pay to cap, but not willing to sacrifice building through the draft, which I think is why we are consistently mediocre.

So like montreal, and other Canadian teams, we rush it. Toronto seems to have changed a little bit in this most recent rebuild, which seems to have made them deep up front, but they’re still building...

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

We have to make the playoffs and that is what seems to be the only importance the ownership place on the team. They’re willing to pay to cap, but not willing to sacrifice building through the draft, which I think is why we are consistently mediocre.

Really hard to argue against this

2 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Really hard to argue against this

It is possible that in a few years our core can push rookies further. That seems to be something good teams can do to help develop players. We had Hudler. Other teams have Getzlaf, Perry, Kesler, Crosby, Joe Thornton, Kopitar, among other teams. Even in Boston they have Bergeron... etc. I am just using the close to home teams as an example. But when Monahan and Gaudreau get even more experience and take on leadership roles, it’ll help. Tkachuk too.

Toronto got max value for a lot of picks after trading their players. We didn’t really build in that model, maximizing the amount of picks we could’ve gotten for players we didn’t trade off...

7 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I think all Canadian teams are the same, minus the jets who realized the only way to build is through the draft. What players want to play there? It’s the same with nearly every Canadian market. We just seem to not get it, or only half get it. 

So like montreal, and other Canadian teams, we rush it. Toronto seems to have changed a little bit in this most recent rebuild, which seems to have made them deep up front, but they’re still building...

I wouldn't disagree but TOR and MON are the worst because they see themselves as the hotbed of hockey. Very few rebuilds or retools are the same as they depend on the starting points and the will to stick with the plan. Many GMs IMO are clueless operators in the NHL. Look at how may are uneducated ex-hockey players with no business background at all. WPG on their way in really had to stay in the slow build mode. I haven't minded our own rebuild outside of a few wrong choices by BT along the way.

8 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Toronto got max value for a lot of picks after trading their players. We didn’t really build in that model, maximizing the amount of picks we could’ve gotten for players we didn’t trade off...

No. Instead owners hired a yes man GM to keep trying to get the flames into the playoffs and building around an aging core because they refused to accept that a rebuild was obvious. And then making it known that even in a rebuild they expected to be in the playoffs every year. 

10 hours ago, rickross said:

I will say one interesting aspect of the upcoming Worlds is it should give Billy P a solid book on McDavid.  Could benefit the Flames during those BoA's...although it could go the other way with McD being the one getting the book on Peters :huh:

I think there are a few teams that know exactly how to play him.  

For one thing, don't let him walk down mainstreet.

Don't give him the ice to build up speed.

Maybe finish a check on him now and again, if you are in the right spot to do it.  

18 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

As we saw with GG, BT seems to enjoy getting players his coach is familiar with.

Can we expect the same with Peters?

Skinner's up after next year, just sayin'.

I'll be shocked if D Ryan isn't on this team next year for that very reason 

On 5/2/2018 at 11:37 AM, cross16 said:

Flames are not the only ones not interested in AV. Interesting hire. That's Gaudreau's former USHL coach and someone who the Flames interviewed and considered a finalist when they hired Gulutzan. 

We are now down to 1 vacant position , which is the one AV was fired from . Of the Final 4 teams, I dont see any of them firing the coach now. Trotz probably saved his job last night .

I wonder if AV would consider an assistant position for a year ? Wouldnt have to even pay him much. NY still has to guarantee his salary for I believe 2 more years 

On 2018-05-02 at 10:37 AM, cross16 said:

Flames are not the only ones not interested in AV. Interesting hire. That's Gaudreau's former USHL coach and someone who the Flames interviewed and considered a finalist when they hired Gulutzan. 

I wonder if he wants a year off of coaching? Or no one is interested... 

I would surprise me if he would go and be an assistant. That would tie him down if a team did a surprise firing. Maybe he does a Quenville and winds up a "special advisor" with a team that is on thin ice with it's coach but still likes AV. I don't think he'd want to be an assistant if say the Caps or Oilers got off to a slow start and gased their coach the start of next year. He probably wants to stay in the wings, sort to speak. 

I'm a bit biased as i've said i'm not the biggest AV fan and don't think he's that great a coach. That being said I'm not that surprised he isn't the coach in Dallas. Lawrence Gillman, who worked with AV at the Nucks, was interviewed after his firing from the Rangers and he said he felt AV really wants a cup and would be very picky about where he was going to go next. I'm not the biggest fan of the Dallas roster nor do I thikn they are that well positioned to win a cup in the near future so I don't think it would be out of the question that he looked at that roster and said no thanks. I could easily see a scenario were he's waiting to see what happens in Washington. 

but ya I mean the league also may not have interest either, hard to say. One thing I found pretty telling during the off season here between AV and Peters, was the reaction of writers/fans. When you would read into Peters and go to Canes forums etc you would see alot of support for him. Some wanting to keep him and even the ones that were ok with him being let go many would acknowledge the roster short comings and say he has a chance to do better elsewhere. When you read about AV, NOONE wanted him to stay and no one seems upset that he is gone.  Just thought that was interesting.

I'm sure he'll get work. Like I said even Quenville wasn't hired immediately after he got let go by the Avs. 

Changing gears here...

looking at some assistant coach potentials, I wonder if Mike Vellucci's name will come up. He was rumoured to be the head coach in Carolina but with Brind'Amour being named the coach today I wonder if he is available. He's coaching their AHL team and worked for Canes last few years so there is a link there. What's impressive is under Vellucci their PP increased 7% over last year, this is his first season, with really the same roster. Plus he was head of their player development for a while so he seems to be quite good with young players and developments at least based on his resume. 

Intriguing fit. 

With Brind'amour breaking his virginity in a head coaching role, is it safe to assume that Peters' assistants from the Canes will stay on there?

And with Brindamour moving up, perhaps Velucci is promoted to NHL asst also?

Just wondering, as Brindamour being named coach seems kinda bizarre to me. He's only been with one org in an asst coach capacity.

Unlike Peters, I'd have to think his feelers across the industry of potential assts is far more limited.

12 hours ago, conundrumed said:

With Brind'amour breaking his virginity in a head coaching role, is it safe to assume that Peters' assistants from the Canes will stay on there?

Just wondering, as Brindamour being named coach seems kinda bizarre to me. He's only been with one org in an asst coach capacity.

Unlike Peters, I'd have to think his feelers across the industry of potential assts is far more limited.

Hey this new Owner is a moron and mistakes will be made.

17 hours ago, conundrumed said:

17 hours ago, cross16 said:

Changing gears here...

looking at some assistant coach potentials, I wonder if Mike Vellucci's name will come up. He was rumoured to be the head coach in Carolina but with Brind'Amour being named the coach today I wonder if he is available. He's coaching their AHL team and worked for Canes last few years so there is a link there. What's impressive is under Vellucci their PP increased 7% over last year, this is his first season, with really the same roster. Plus he was head of their player development for a while so he seems to be quite good with young players and developments at least based on his resume. 

Intriguing fit. 

just got announced today , Steve Smith is staying in Carolina.. so scratch him off the list 

ans this is actually a good article of names we may end up hearing (Except Smith now apparently )..

https://flamesnation.ca/2018/05/08/handicapping-the-flames-assistant-coaching-contenders/

17 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

just got announced today , Steve Smith is staying in Carolina.. so scratch him off the list 

ans this is actually a good article of names we may end up hearing (Except Smith now apparently )..

https://flamesnation.ca/2018/05/08/handicapping-the-flames-assistant-coaching-contenders/

Hatcher is actually a Sting owner/coach along with David Legwand, so I'd scratch him off the list.

Totally surprised he'd be on the list even if he weren't an owner, especially a PP coach.

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Hatcher is actually a Sting owner/coach along with David Legwand, so I'd scratch him off the list.

Totally surprised he'd be on the list even if he weren't an owner, especially a PP coach.

Doesnt mean a thing ..  Brent Sutter was owner of the Red Deer Rebels while coaching Nj and Calgary , Kelly McCrimmon is still owner of the Brandon Wheat Kings and works for Vegas .. owning a junior team does not preclude working for an NHL team

31 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Doesnt mean a thing ..  Brent Sutter was owner of the Red Deer Rebels while coaching Nj and Calgary , Kelly McCrimmon is still owner of the Brandon Wheat Kings and works for Vegas .. owning a junior team does not preclude working for an NHL team

I was really thinking more of a "no thanks" based on Sarnia's lovely 1 for 43 on the PP in the playoffs. The 1 being an empty netter:lol:

12 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I was really thinking more of a "no thanks" based on Sarnia's lovely 1 for 43 on the PP in the playoffs. The 1 being an empty netter:lol:

They were suggesting him for the Penalty Kill / Defensemen...  Sarnia was #1 in the league on the PK last season , and are #3 in the playoffs  out of 16 teams

Just now, phoenix66 said:

They were suggesting him for the Penalty Kill / Defensemen...  Sarnia was #1 in the league on the PK last season , and are #3 in the playoffs  out of 16 teams

Sorry, my bad, thought it was PP. I'll buy that, but Sarnia also had a very fast aggressive 3rd line (best line in the playoffs) that were tenacious on the PK.

Maybe that's Hatcher, but I'm not sure.

It was Hatcher that kinda caused Chychrun's fall in the draft, by making him play defence. I think that was a big reason why Chychrun made ARI as an 18yo.

I do really like the progression of Sarnia's dmen under Hatcher, Connor Schlichting was named one of the most improved OHLers this year. It showed.

Hatcher's kid also plays d for the Sting(no NHL shot).

Sidenote: OHL final on SN360 rn, lots of top prospects. Katchouk, Raddysh, Frost, Thomas, Bidden...

He is still listed as an assistant coach, but I've never read what his role actually was during the Gulutzan era.

If my memory serves correct; Gelinas was never on the bench, Pringle did the video upstairs, Sutter was doing the Player Development gig that Gelinas had in Nashville.

So, just exactly what was he "assistant coaching"?

Archived