CALGARY FLAMES VS. EDMONTON OILERS: Future, Past and Present

rickross

36 minutes ago, Flyerfan52 said:

This board reminds me of the Flyers board is it's heyday (except that the fan base there was more diverse with fans from all over Europe. We even had pet trolls that although they admitted they were fans of other teams joined discussions on merit with no rancor. ). A fair bit of back & forth as we do have differing ideas/ideals as to how to build a team but by & large there is respect shown for others.

I don't know if it exists any more but a few years back the Buffalo MB was pretty good.

The Oilers board has always been rah rah Oilers with dissention frowned on. After the glow of the "Golden Boys" wore off with them remaining cellar dwellers you could almost smell hopelessness & dispair but once they were gifted McDavid they started acting like the tank years were just lies spread by opposing fans (fans of all other teams). There are a few shift distrurbers but most of the posters have blocked them for their less vanilla view points.

I've never honored the Canucks board with my presence since what posters here say about it combined with the children from that 1 convinced me it wasn't worth the time.

You accurately summed up the Oiler's board quite concisely especially the part about their stank. It is fascinating how they suddenly forgot about the suck years. I suspect most people on this board remember those 4 or 5 Oiler fans with bags over their heads praying that they would draft McDavid. I am not certain that they tanked to get McDavid, but it would not surprise me if they did so accidentally on purpose.

The Canucks board does have a lot of acrimony on it. They behave like people who would burn down a city of they lost a game children. No, that will never get old...EVER. Their drama queens are so over the top that it is hardly even worth reading even after they are beaten. I also feel the need to shower afterwards.

Perhaps it is not surprising, but I think that the boards more or less reflect their cities. When in Vancouver, I feel like I just went to a large wedding of wealthy people, and an all out brawl takes place with everyone spending the night in the drunk tank. The last time I was in Edmonton, I remembered when I was dragged to the Alcove that was filled with ex cons, hipsters, and failed LA musicians. My trip to Edmonton was for just one night, and I stayed with family who lived in a very nice condo near their new arena. Even though the condo was nice and secure, I still had to contend with a naked guy in the elevator who wrapped himself in the floor carpet (ewe), and the sex worker who visited the building so often that the dude gave her the access code. So, I am not even exaggerating. 

• Replies 551
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Flyerfan52 said:

This board reminds me of the Flyers board is it's heyday (except that the fan base there was more diverse with fans from all over Europe. We even had pet trolls that although they admitted they were fans of other teams joined discussions on merit with no rancor. ). A fair bit of back & forth as we do have differing ideas/ideals as to how to build a team but by & large there is respect shown for others.

I don't know if it exists any more but a few years back the Buffalo MB was pretty good.

The Oilers board has always been rah rah Oilers with dissention frowned on. After the glow of the "Golden Boys" wore off with them remaining cellar dwellers you could almost smell hopelessness & dispair but once they were gifted McDavid they started acting like the tank years were just lies spread by opposing fans (fans of all other teams). There are a few shift distrurbers but most of the posters have blocked them for their less vanilla view points.

I've never honored the Canucks board with my presence since what posters here say about it combined with the children from that 1 convinced me it wasn't worth the time.

I first came on in '04 (late '03 I think, not a bandwagon leap).

I've always liked this board because everyone is pretty balanced and can be swayed. Nobody gangs up on anyone, even when they are clearly wrong. There are actually a lot of great NHL boards if you self-moderate and don't just show up looking for trouble.

I do miss the "trash talk" section for entertainment value alone. I still remember my 1st post was against a Leafs fan who was actually threatening legal action against a poster for threatening him with physical violence.

I had to voice in on him, being as half my friends and family are Leafs fans, I just gave him a balanced attack on how the league works.

I drew a "wipes away tears of laughter" from Rioghan and Hanson welcoming me.

From Red and Peeps to yourself, DD, cross, JTECH and a bunch of others, I just come here to form my own thoughts and opinions.

I still gloss over CP, but I wouldn't bang that with your dick, lol. It's love and hate, no self-monitoring and no room for balance, imho.

I recall a time when Bruce Dowbiggin would literally promote CP on the radio. I always thought, "perfect, that's where a blowbag like you belongs".

The fans on the Oilers boards have selective memories. They act like the days of glory of the 80s was just yesterday and the last 10 years of irrelevance and ineptitude never happened. I've definitely ruffled feathers over there but mainly in response to their remarks that just ooze blind ignorance. These last few years have turned them into a bunch of ice princesses..they could use some heat, they need the Flames B)

I get their new found excitement and after so many years as bottom dwellers they deserved a reprieve. Sometimes they just need to be reminded where they came from, I have no qualms giving the Oilers credit when it's due but I also have no problem reminding them of their historical and epic failures. 

9 minutes ago, rickross said:

What's really going on with Draisatl tho? Do you guys think he'll hold out or will they sign him a reasonable price or is it a real possibility he gets traded?

Draisatl could be a dangerous contract. Is he worth more than a Gaudreau? The contract could set a new precedent which could break the league, or send it into another lockout. More the latter than the former of course.

Its hard to compare him with Gaudreau but he's definitely going to earn more $. As long as he's playing with McDollars he's going to put up numbers, so he could indeed set a new precedent for a sidekick. His playoff performance vs. McDebit's gives him some leverage too so it'll be interesting to see how close or far apart they are in salary. The lockout is a valid point, and Fehr publicly stated his opinion about how the cap devalues the players. The cap has really effected teams like the Hawks (even though that's the cost of so much elite talent) and now it's the Oilers turn. 

6 hours ago, rickross said:

Its hard to compare him with Gaudreau but he's definitely going to earn more $. As long as he's playing with McDollars he's going to put up numbers, so he could indeed set a new precedent for a sidekick. His playoff performance vs. McDebit's gives him some leverage too so it'll be interesting to see how close or far apart they are in salary. The lockout is a valid point, and Fehr publicly stated his opinion about how the cap devalues the players. The cap has really effected teams like the Hawks (even though that's the cost of so much elite talent) and now it's the Oilers turn. 

I think they should keep going with their Trudeau approach for handing out the money, give Drasaitl  12M just a bit below McDavid.

11 hours ago, robrob74 said:

Draisatl could be a dangerous contract. Is he worth more than a Gaudreau? The contract could set a new precedent which could break the league, or send it into another lockout. More the latter than the former of course.

Recent contracts have set the bar high.  Kuznetsof at $7.8 x 8.  Maybe not a great comp, as Leon didn't play an entire season at center.  As far as I am concerned, he hasn't earned any more than Johnny Hockey did.  Actually Johnny has far superior careen numbers over Leon.  The only bump he should get is being a center and performing well in the playoffs.

46 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Recent contracts have set the bar high.  Kuznetsof at $7.8 x 8.  Maybe not a great comp, as Leon didn't play an entire season at center.  As far as I am concerned, he hasn't earned any more than Johnny Hockey did.  Actually Johnny has far superior careen numbers over Leon.  The only bump he should get is being a center and performing well in the playoffs.

I think WAS must be under threat by the Russian Mafia to be paying that guy that kind of money. StupidityIMO

4 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Actually Johnny has far superior careen numbers over Leon.  The only bump he should get is being a center and performing well in the playoffs.

If only draisital actually played center, although he did take some draws with mcdavid. I dont get when oilers fans makes the draisital vs bennett comparison, draisital at center away from mcdavid wasent great, he did not show strongly. So the comparison between the two should be much closer at center, where as on the wing johnny would be a good comparable in terms of numbers.

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

Don't think you are getting Draisitl for less than this on term.

My guesstimate is 9.5 x 8. If the Oilers offer lower his agent could/would leak the news & scoring challenged teams (Montreal for instance) have time to throw an OS @ say the same 9.5 x 4) & lose 2 1st, a 2nd & 3rd. That brings Draisatl 1 year from UFA  so both camps are betting he improves.

For the Oilers they have a week to decide so have the option of taking the picks, negotiating a trade with the offering team or meeting the bet.

7 hours ago, cross16 said:

Don't think you are getting Draisitl for less than this on term.

This makes JH and Monnys extensions an absolute steal! Good luck Oilers, it was fun clawing your way back to relevance for 1 year. No way way Leon signs for less than $8M now. Funny to think that Hall, Ebs and RNH would have still been a cheaper option than McLottoMax and Leon. 

13 hours ago, rickross said:

This makes JH and Monnys extensions an absolute steal! Good luck Oilers, it was fun clawing your way back to relevance for 1 year. No way way Leon signs for less than $8M now. Funny to think that Hall, Ebs and RNH would have still been a cheaper option than McLottoMax and Leon. 

I think Drai is a lot better player than any of those three.  But, I don't see how you can have a team with your top 2 centers making a total of $20m in cap per year.  PITTS has Crosby/Malkin but those two combined are better.    

22 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Wow.

Hi Edmonton.

Crazy. I have never understood NHL GMs when an increase in cap appears they give all the money to the top 2 or 3 players. There is no way Johansen or Drasaitl are worth 8M per season. Stupidity abounds again.

1 hour ago, MAC331 said:

Crazy. I have never understood NHL GMs when an increase in cap appears they give all the money to the top 2 or 3 players. There is no way Johansen or Drasaitl are worth 8M per season. Stupidity abounds again.

It's an industry.

You can pry something out of some of the old legends regarding salaries then and now.

Generally, it's "wow, did we ever get used".

You tend to have the opinion that top hockey players aren't worth an $8-12.5 per contract.

The money has to go somewhere...

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

It's an industry.

You can pry something out of some of the old legends regarding salaries then and now.

Generally, it's "wow, did we ever get used".

The craziest part is you seldom (if ever) see the top players caring or participating in the CBA negotiations. They know they'll get top $ & term. They are also the 1s complaining about the NHL not wanting them to go to the Olympics.

The 1s joining Fehr in negotiations are the foot soldiers but they shoot themselves in the foot allowing teams to give the stars up to 20% of the cap. That means less $s for every depth player meaning it's cheaper for a team to replace them with someone on an ELC. The Olympic part only comes into play if they value 2 weeks off in mid season & futher decrease their stats coming back rusty.

If the players in general cared they'd negotiate so any star could only earn 10-15 % of the cap & limit the # of players given that per team so there would be  room for them.

The players are part of this & most of the agents have a higher end player they represent so don't bother telling the lower 1s they are pricing themselves out of the league as (like wingers/3rd stringers/5th D) they have newer & shinier players coming aboard.

• 2 weeks later...

Which Alberta team will win the Cup first??

We have the D and the Oilers have McD. They are looking at potential cap troubles for years to come while the Flames should operate with more flexibility to improve their team. If the Oilers can repeat their success from last season they could be considered strong contenders to make it to the finals. The Flames have a bit of a disadvantage with all new goalies and Hamonic still having to adjust to new coaches, systems and teammates not to mention GG isn't as established as Todd is. Overall I think we are better positioned to ice a competitive team for the foreseeable future, therefore we could have a slightly longer window to win not to mention a stronger stable of prospects.  If the Oilers fail to do it with their existing group of players in the next 1-2 years they could be facing another rebuild scenario. Thoughts??

2 hours ago, rickross said:

Which Alberta team will win the Cup first??

We have the D and the Oilers have McD. They are looking at potential cap troubles for years to come while the Flames should operate with more flexibility to improve their team. If the Oilers can repeat their success from last season they could be considered strong contenders to make it to the finals. The Flames have a bit of a disadvantage with all new goalies and Hamonic still having to adjust to new coaches, systems and teammates not to mention GG isn't as established as Todd is. Overall I think we are better positioned to ice a competitive team for the foreseeable future, therefore we could have a slightly longer window to win not to mention a stronger stable of prospects.  If the Oilers fail to do it with their existing group of players in the next 1-2 years they could be facing another rebuild scenario. Thoughts??

The Oilers had a lot of things go right for them last season. I don't know if Talbot can continue that level of performance but if he does they will be in the picture along with us.

Archived