We are ̶A̶r̶e̶ ̶w̶e̶ a playoff bound team ̶?̶

CheersMan

20 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I don't want to face them in round one because it would be a ripoff to Canadian hockey fans.  One team wins, the other goes back to their usual spring pastimes.  Let each of the Alberta teams beat up on another foe.  I would be ok with playing them in the 2nd round.  Not sure of any scenarios that would allow us to play a Pacific team in the 3rd round; don't know if that is possible anymore.

I think that depends on if a Pacific plays the Central (?) in the 2nd. Then the final points have to match?

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Cowtownguy said:

I am really looking forward to the playoffs. I really enjoy a good bbq, beer, and an exciting game. I am confident that the Flames can clean up their game with a little more focus, and I think that their confidence is quite high. The main thing that worries me are injuries. Can this team sustain a couple of injuries and adapt?

MMMMMM You just made me hungry. 

I wonder if they will rest guys now. Not every game, but get guys in like Lazar to get their game shape up. I have a carousel of players coming in and out just to get some in, and some who are banged up some needed rest.

Like maybe old man Versteeg needs a game off. That guy is always tweeking something.

37 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I don't want to face them in round one because it would be a ripoff to Canadian hockey fans.  One team wins, the other goes back to their usual spring pastimes.  Let each of the Alberta teams beat up on another foe.  I would be ok with playing them in the 2nd round.  Not sure of any scenarios that would allow us to play a Pacific team in the 3rd round; don't know if that is possible anymore.

That is a valid enough argument. It is likely that there will be other years when the BoA happens. I would just like to see younger folks who never knew the 80s BoA to experience what that is like. I will never forget Smith shooting the puck off of Fuhr or Peplinski and Hunter tearing it up against Cementhead and others. I also remember being at parties back in the day where half of the crowd cheered for Dedmonton and the other half for Calgary. Good times, good times.

47 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Not sure of any scenarios that would allow us to play a Pacific team in the 3rd round; don't know if that is possible anymore.

Possible if we get 2nd WC.

1st Round - CHI vs CGY, MIN vs STL, ANA vs NSH, EDM vs SJS

2nd Round - CGY vs STL, NSH vs EDM

3rd Round - CGY vs EDM

....and...

4th Round - CGY vs TOR  (Wouldn`t this be a sweet final with Calgary making leaf fans cry. :D)

5 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

That is a valid enough argument. It is likely that there will be other years when the BoA happens. I would just like to see younger folks who never knew the 80s BoA to experience what that is like. I will never forget Smith shooting the puck off of Fuhr or Peplinski and Hunter tearing it up against Cementhead and others. I also remember being at parties back in the day where half of the crowd cheered for Dedmonton and the other half for Calgary. Good times, good times.

This is a miracle year for the Oilers.  Much like 2 years ago for us.  They don't have a team that will have these kind of results every season.  I hope the fans enjoy the first round because that may be the last playoff hockey they see for a few more years.  Don't get me wrong, they have two very good forwards and one very good goalie.  But McDavid is just as likely to have a letdown year next year as light it up again.  Talbot may not be able to sustain that kind of start ratio and they have to rely on a backup for more than 10 games.

54 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

It's okay.  

If they are able to run a taped Tampa Bay Lightning/Steven Stamkos video interview during a Flames vs Sharks intermission, then they'll never talk about the Oilers the entire playoffs.

I think we are underestimating the oils still! 

They have a generational player, in a few years the best. They will be in every year.

their goaltending should be the same every year but it is a small sample.

without Kipper we shouldn't even have ever made the playoffs the years we did.

anyway. I don't like them, but I am a realist. They have better GMs now so they should at least be getting improvements too. 

The Hall trade was bigger than we thought it was. That D guy made them a lot better too. 

They are are better than we are crediting them.

but I want to play them the first round. ?

7 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

They have a generational player, in a few years the best. They will be in every year.

anyway. I don't like them, but I am a realist. They have better GMs now so they should at least be getting improvements too. 

The Hall trade was bigger than we thought it was. That D guy made them a lot better too. 

I agree that McJeebus is high end talent. It remains to be seen what he will actually do. A lot can happen between now and a few years. I am not saying that you are wrong, I am just saying that we cannot predict with certainty that he will be that great. Injuries ruin a lot of careers and defensive tactics are always improving and shifting. You are probably correct.

I believe that I am on record saying that I always thought Hall was the cancer on that team before they traded him. I suspect a lot of others felt the same way. Even his tweet "welcoming" McDavid to the team was passive aggressive. Put simply, he is a whiny little beeoch. Look what he has done to Jersey. Ouch.

Given that the Oil seem to have won every draft since the beginning of human existence, I think everyone thought that they would eventually become amazing. Sportsnet even had that show "Oil Change" or whatever. They still didn't pan out in time for the show. Their ability to under perform is truly remarkable. Now that they are starting to play well, they will have salary cap issues before long. I mean, how much is McDavid's agent going to demand in the future? Put another way, how much does the collective agreement allow one person to earn? Chicago can have two players monopolize the bulk of their salary, but Edmonton does not have a duo quite like Toews and Kane (and I am not a Kane fan btw; taxi cab incident etc.). 

It seems to me that the successful teams in the NHL (Chicago excluded) will be those who can put together 4 relatively even lines with speed, tenacity, and chemistry. I actually think that the Flames are more or less getting it right. The rebuild is not quite over from Treliving's standpoint. We will need to get a little bigger and tougher, get a little more depth so that we can insert effective players when injuries happen, and eliminate poor contracts/slower players.

TD said it would be a ripoff to Canadian fans to lose a Canadian team in the playoffs. Fair enough. If we faced Edmonton and managed to eliminate them, then would many Canadians really be hurt? Only Edmonton fans and they don't really count. They always have their mud-bogging and spitting contests. :P

2 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

I agree that McJeebus is high end talent. It remains to be seen what he will actually do. A lot can happen between now and a few years. I am not saying that you are wrong, I am just saying that we cannot predict with certainty that he will be that great. Injuries ruin a lot of careers and defensive tactics are always improving and shifting. You are probably correct.

I believe that I am on record saying that I always thought Hall was the cancer on that team before they traded him. I suspect a lot of others felt the same way. Even his tweet "welcoming" McDavid to the team was passive aggressive. Put simply, he is a whiny little beeoch. Look what he has done to Jersey. Ouch.

Given that the Oil seem to have won every draft since the beginning of human existence, I think everyone thought that they would eventually become amazing. Sportsnet even had that show "Oil Change" or whatever. They still didn't pan out in time for the show. Their ability to under perform is truly remarkable. Now that they are starting to play well, they will have salary cap issues before long. I mean, how much is McDavid's agent going to demand in the future? Put another way, how much does the collective agreement allow one person to earn? Chicago can have two players monopolize the bulk of their salary, but Edmonton does not have a duo quite like Toews and Kane (and I am not a Kane fan btw; taxi cab incident etc.). 

It seems to me that the successful teams in the NHL (Chicago excluded) will be those who can put together 4 relatively even lines with speed, tenacity, and chemistry. I actually think that the Flames are more or less getting it right. The rebuild is not quite over from Treliving's standpoint. We will need to get a little bigger and tougher, get a little more depth so that we can insert effective players when injuries happen, and eliminate poor contracts/slower players.

TD said it would be a ripoff to Canadian fans to lose a Canadian team in the playoffs. Fair enough. If we faced Edmonton and managed to eliminate them, then would many Canadians really be hurt? Only Edmonton fans and they don't really count. They always have their mud-bogging and spitting contests. :P

I say screw the rest of Canada! 

Sure, we can be Canada's team again?

I hated that. As a fan, I'd rather us just go for our own teams, then hope the team we hate less win out if our team gets knocked off. I'd never cheer for the Canucks, Sens, Canadiens (maybe because Price is from BC and is First Nations). I am probably missing someone... Well for this playoff at least. Oh ya, the Jets. The Oil, I don't care about, and I think I will grow to really hate them because of McDavid. My dad's a Leafs fan, so I can like them either way.

I would have to agree with you. I think that I could get on the Jets bandwagon even though I was one of those irritating Flames fans when I lived there. We actually had a pretty large core of fans there for some reason. I could never support the Canucks. I think that would feel like waking up with a terrible hangover, not bothering to shower for a few days, and eating peanut butter non-stop. You know, like just gross. I don't mind the Sens or Canadiens, but they are not particularly inspiring. I don't even mind the Leafs per se, I just cannot handle their Pravda Leaf's media. I guess I am just a small-town Alberta boy who thinks we deserve some attention every now and then.

5 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

When we went to the finals in 04, I was so pissed that the rest of Canada started cheering for the Flames. I thought, "where the boarding were you during all of those elbowingty years?" :rolleyes::angry:

Man, I cannot believe that was so long ago! The funny thing is that everybody, even really young people, know what it meant by "the goal of '04". Ha!

1 minute ago, Cowtownguy said:

I would have to agree with you. I think that I could get on the Jets bandwagon even though I was one of those irritating Flames fans when I lived there. We actually had a pretty large core of fans there for some reason. I could never support the Canucks. I think that would feel like waking up with a terrible hangover, not bothering to shower for a few days, and eating peanut butter non-stop. You know, like just gross. I don't mind the Sens or Canadiens, but they are not particularly inspiring. I don't even mind the Leafs per se, I just cannot handle their Pravda Leaf's media. I guess I am just a small-town Alberta boy who thinks we deserve some attention every now and then.

Although, it is one thing to start cheering for a team because you like the way they are playing. And then you stick. I guess the playoffs make for good advertisement. :lol:

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

When we went to the finals in 04, I was so pissed that the rest of Canada started cheering for the Flames. I thought, "where the boarding were you during all of those elbowingty years?" :rolleyes::angry:

You should be happy. It means other teams fans respect the Flames.

Would you rather the rest of the country hopes you DON'T win, like Van?:lol:

When it's down to 4, and you're the 1 Cdn, it isn't unusual for the rest of the country to get behind you.

5 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

You should be happy. It means other teams fans respect the Flames.

Would you rather the rest of the country hopes you DON'T win, like Van?:lol:

When it's down to 4, and you're the 1 Cdn, it isn't unusual for the rest of the country to get behind you.

Considering all rosters are multinational I never say "I'm cheering for the Canadian team". Where they ared based doesn't make them any more Canadian than an illegal alien crossing into Canada @ an uncontrolled border site. Many US based teams carry more Canadian players in their best roster than thosed based in Canada.

If stuck picking a team to follow when my team(s) are done In I root for them in the same order as I do during the season. Pengies vs. anybody I root for anybody.

Fortunately I have a team in the playoffs this year & hope to be cheering them on far into May. Go Flames!!!

12 hours ago, robrob74 said:

Cant underestimate them anymore...they're  top of the Pacific now. They're finally playing as a team and Talbot has been a rock in net. Speed, skill, with nothing to lose and everything to prove can be lethal. Todd's got them playing at a high level right now and after so many years of ridicule they're a hungry team. Taylor Hall must be seething and hurting at the same time, they're a much better team without him and he can't even deny it. I'd prefer not to face them 1st Rd but there's a high probability we do. They're a beatable team but Flames will have to be on their A game every night. 

6 hours ago, rickross said:

Cant underestimate them anymore...they're  top of the Pacific now. They're finally playing as a team and Talbot has been a rock in net. Speed, skill, with nothing to lose and everything to prove can be lethal. Todd's got them playing at a high level right now and after so many years of ridicule they're a hungry team. Taylor Hall must be seething and hurting at the same time, they're a much better team without him and he can't even deny it. I'd prefer not to face them 1st Rd but there's a high probability we do. They're a beatable team but Flames will have to be on their A game every night. 

I dont think they are as good as everyone makes them out to be. I watched them play anaheim last night and while they found a way to win in ot yet again, they arent exactly lighting the world on fire. The reason I say this is they are kind of like the flames in that they are riding one line to victory at this point, mcdavid is a very good hockey player and so is draisital but the offence dies after those two. Remember in 2014-15 when the flames rode hudleer mony and gaudreau to the playoffs, its a similar situation. The oilers have almost no offence on the team after the mcdavid line gets off the ice. Once again last night who put up all the points the mcdavid line, lucic scored on the powerplay which has been his signature all season standing in front of the net. But I dont think the oilers will ever be a contender with this current group, and are currently one of those teams that is good in the regular season but not so good in the playoffs. The oilers defence is not as good as everyone makes it out to be, and talbot is playing way too much, not to mention the one line team thing. Id love to face them in the first round because to be honest I think our depth is better and our ability to control the play is better, theres no way to shut down mcdavid hes just too fast but maybe tkachuk can get in his head like kadri did.

Just now, AlbertaBoy12 said:

I dont think they are as good as everyone makes them out to be. I watched them play anaheim last night and while they found a way to win in ot yet again, they arent exactly lighting the world on fire. The reason I say this is they are kind of like the flames in that they are riding one line to victory at this point, mcdavid is a very good hockey player and so is draisital but the offence dies after those two. Remember in 2014-15 when the flames rode hudleer mony and gaudreau to the playoffs, its a similar situation. The oilers have almost no offence on the team after the mcdavid line gets off the ice. Once again last night who put up all the points the mcdavid line, lucic scored on the powerplay which has been his signature all season standing in front of the net. But I dont think the oilers will ever be a contender with this current group, and are currently one of those teams that is good in the regular season but not so good in the playoffs. The oilers defence is not as good as everyone makes it out to be, and talbot is playing way too much, not to mention the one line team thing. Id love to face them in the first round because to be honest I think our depth is better and our ability to control the play is better, theres no way to shut down mcdavid hes just too fast but maybe tkachuk can get in his head like kadri did.

The truth is our team is by no means heads and shoulders above the Oilers.

Flames should be getting a tired Anaheim team fresh off an OT loss. There are no excuses to lose the game today. As far as the Oilers go, they are a different team and we have to respect that. They better pray Mczits stays healthy otherwise that team will be swept faster than the cleanup crew at Rogers Place. 

Flames vs Oil matchup as it stands. Would they really be an easier victim of our Flames than SJS or ANA?

FF52 - I think your Flyers & Jets lit their afterburners a little too late. Where was their recent push a few weeks ago? :rolleyes:

2016-17%20Playoff%20Projection%202017-04

[Didn't change projected cutoff in West from 95 to 96. Oh well it is irrelevant now.]

Yeah Pyro. Flyers & Jets are going now but it's too late. Hopefull both can play spoiler. I really6 like some of the youth on both teams so hopefully we'll see a changing of the guard in both their divions with them emerging.

As to this year I'm happy I have the Flames to watch in what is hopefully a deep run.

My thoughts on the Oilers is they have that 1 line to do most of their scoring. their D is much improved & Talbot looks to be the real thing. Talbot getting injured has to be their worst case scenario as they have absolutely no goalie to step in. He needn't even get injured as his workload is a blueprint for burnout.

Talbot not playing the way they've needed him too is worse for them than having McDavid shut down IMO.

*******************************************************************************************************************************

BTW, did anyone catch the Flyers goalie situation yesterday? Mason out sick, then Neuvirth collapsed & had to be taken to hospital. Stolarz came in & the Flyers signed Eric Samborski to a quick tryout contract (same guy the Hawks used as an emergency signing a few months back) . Hakstol tried to get Samborski in net with 24 seconds left just so he could actually have NHL game time to think back on but the refs nixed it (& were roundly booed). The guy has now dressed for 2 NHL teams in a matter of months but has not 1 iota of playing time.

Just a strange happening I thought I'd share. :rolleyes:

Archived