We are ̶A̶r̶e̶ ̶w̶e̶ a playoff bound team ̶?̶

CheersMan

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:angry: Ducks, Sharks, Oilers all won tonight & clinched playoff berths. Thanks for the help Nucks, Rangers, Kings. :rolleyes:

Yes..a very rare evening where I wanted the Nucks to win. Hope the hockey gods don't forsake me.

As a shining example to all, Edmonton has finally shown the payoff from an 11 year rebuild.

In the East the Rangers clinched while the Sabres and Red Wings are toast.

The end of a glorious 25 consecutive season playoff run for Detroit.

A few irrelevant facts I thought I would share:

The Maple Leafs last hoisted the cup 50 years ago on May 02, 1967. Also last time they made the Finals.

On October 09, 1970, the Vancouver Canucks played their franchise inaugural game. They have never touched the Stanley Cup.

2016-17%20Playoff%20Projection%202017-03

On 3/25/2017 at 10:26 AM, CheersMan said:

Last call for the non believers..........Last Call!

I expected the Flames to be in the 9th to 12th spot.  Improved from last session but won't make the playoffs. If they do make the playoffs at 8, it is not exactly shocking to me.

However, if they win division, wow. That's totally impressive.

36 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I expected the Flames to be in the 9th to 12th spot.  Improved from last session but won't make the playoffs. If they do make the playoffs at 8, it is not exactly shocking to me.

However, if they win division, wow. That's totally impressive.

Thats about what I expect to. Like you said its not far off right now from that, I mean it is more then 10 points but thats besides the point. Im really happy with the flames season and where they are going with GG.

On 11/10/2016 at 10:25 AM, travel_dude said:

Are we a playoff team this year?

I am assuming that we go on a winning streak before the end of this month.

PP will begin to improve, assuming they work on the makeup of the units and practice it regularly.

We have the goaltending.

We have offensive stars.

We have a good top 4D.

We have a bottom 6 playing well.

There's no reason to think we can't go on a tear.  It's not like we are only beating bottom feeders.  Becoming consistent is the way we get there.

17 hours ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

TD I think a few of us said that to be honest haha

Hey, you will notice the date of that post.  The dark days of November.  I'm a bit of an optimist, so I was just expecting us to play the way we should be playing.  Each one of those points I referred to has stabilized.  Not all at once.  Each one of them helped get us back on track.  Some won games by themselves.  Some combined to help us win a game.  All of them needed to happen to get to this point.  

2 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Hey, you will notice the date of that post.  The dark days of November.  I'm a bit of an optimist, so I was just expecting us to play the way we should be playing.  Each one of those points I referred to has stabilized.  Not all at once.  Each one of them helped get us back on track.  Some won games by themselves.  Some combined to help us win a game.  All of them needed to happen to get to this point.  

That was a great call back in November.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

I'm a bit of an optimist, so I was just expecting us to play the way we should be playing.

As a reward for for your optimistic foresight & the fact that you're a connoisseur of bovine geolocation devices:

Top 10 Cowbell Songs - ultimateclassicrock.com

More Cowbell Songs - ultimateclassicrock.com

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

That was a great call back in November.

I was one of the guys calling for Cameron's head.  I still don't like the way the PP lines up every single time.  Playing 4 forwards may have helped the PP a bit, but I don't think Brodie is the answer for the first unit.  Better to use Gio or Hamilton as the only D-man.  I would actually go with Gio and use Brodie/Hamilton on the Backlund PP unit (oops that sounded dirty).

5 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I was one of the guys calling for Cameron's head.  I still don't like the way the PP lines up every single time.  Playing 4 forwards may have helped the PP a bit, but I don't think Brodie is the answer for the first unit.  Better to use Gio or Hamilton as the only D-man.  I would actually go with Gio and use Brodie/Hamilton on the Backlund PP unit (oops that sounded dirty).

I like Hamilton because they need to get shots through, and he does that. 

A team from the Atlantic finally makes the playoffs - Canadiens

The Panthers playoff hopes got neutered tonight.

Will Jagr continue to compete with Jagger for longevity next year?

The Islanders collapse as any sort of contender is astonishing & Tampa Bay still close to stealing the Bruins spot.

My preferred theft of the Leafs spot looks more unlikely as the season winds down but still possible. B)

It sure looks like I will lose bragging rights among my Oiler pals(?) for the regular season but the playoffs will remedy that....

3 hours ago, robrob74 said:

We are now OFFICIALLY A PLAYOFF TEAM!!!!!

Let's start to clean up the play and be ready!

I am really looking forward to the playoffs. I really enjoy a good bbq, beer, and an exciting game. I am confident that the Flames can clean up their game with a little more focus, and I think that their confidence is quite high. The main thing that worries me are injuries. Can this team sustain a couple of injuries and adapt?

3 hours ago, robrob74 said:

We are now OFFICIALLY A PLAYOFF TEAM!!!!!

Modified the thread title. Ya baby!!!!!

It remains to be seen whom our dance partner will be. Currently projecting as Anaheim or possibly Edmonton.

Of course this could drastically change; especially if we charge up the Pacific & knock our neighbours up North down a notch or 2. B)

41 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

I am really looking forward to the playoffs. I really enjoy a good bbq, beer, and an exciting game. I am confident that the Flames can clean up their game with a little more focus, and I think that their confidence is quite high. The main thing that worries me are injuries. Can this team sustain a couple of injuries and adapt?

We've managed to avoid the injury bug all year...let's not jinx it! Having Lazar and Widemen as backups isn't the end of the world. Still, hopefully we keep the lines moving as is

Tbh..(I can't believe I'm actually saying this now) but I rather note face the Oilers at this point. That team is rolling right now and who knows what level Mczits takes his game to in the playoffs. They've been sneaky good defensively and have found their offensive rhythm, not to mention a new arena on top off 11 years out of the playoffs is A LOT of extra motivation.  It would be one intense BoA 

4 minutes ago, rickross said:

Tbh..(I can't believe I'm actually saying this now) but I rather note face the Oilers at this point. That team is rolling right now and who knows what level Mczits takes his game to in the playoffs. They've been sneaky good defensively and have found their offensive rhythm, not to mention a new arena on top off 11 years out of the playoffs is A LOT of extra motivation.  It would be one intense BoA 

I would rather face the Oilers in the first round. Whether it is Edmonton or Anaheim, it will be a tough series. Albertans would go nuts over a battle of Alberta. If we faced the Ducks and lost, well, then it wouldn't happen. Exciting times either way IMO. :)

28 minutes ago, rickross said:

If we face the Ducks and beat them in the 1st Rd...we're going to the cup lol! Anaheim has been our biggest adversity in the league, a win on Sunday would go a long way for our confidence in the playoffs. 

True but I think our biggest confidence builder will be a win on tuesday.

1 hour ago, rickross said:

I don't want to face them in round one because it would be a ripoff to Canadian hockey fans.  One team wins, the other goes back to their usual spring pastimes.  Let each of the Alberta teams beat up on another foe.  I would be ok with playing them in the 2nd round.  Not sure of any scenarios that would allow us to play a Pacific team in the 3rd round; don't know if that is possible anymore.

Archived