We are ̶A̶r̶e̶ ̶w̶e̶ a playoff bound team ̶?̶

CheersMan

11 minutes ago, Carty said:

I posted this in the Oil thread, but then I saw your post so I'll add it here as well...

Too bad that the OIl got a point last night, but it was nice to see McDavid score one for the Pengies...   It's 56 sec in...

Yea I had a good laugh when he kicked it in his own net after he got his stick caught. It was a decent game.

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Kulstad said:

Just saw this link this morning:  What if the Playoffs Started Now? from NHL.com

Yeah I would rather climb into a position so we don't play SJS in the first round. They are on a mission for the SC while Marleau and Thornton are in their last season. I would love to play ANA and kick their butts, what a boost for our own future to achieve such a feat.

Flames are leaving me speechless...

Considering the great teams we had in the 80's, achieving the longest win streak since Atlanta is phenomenal!

...and we have a winner!

Colorado is the 1st team to be able to book tee times for mid-April.

Iggy escaped with barely a moment to spare. He can wait a week or two to book his.

2016-17%20Playoff%20Projection%202017-03

1 hour ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

Oilers with another big loss, fell apart in the 3rd for them.

They allowed 4 goals in the last 5 min.  1000's of Hab fans standing, chanting and cheering at Roger Place.  The wasp's nest got a little stirred up there this evening, their GDT is presently 12 pages long of calling each other stupid and how their team sucks.  It's so much nicer when you go 9-0.  Lets enjoy it while we can. 

5 hours ago, CheersMan said:

They allowed 4 goals in the last 5 min.  1000's of Hab fans standing, chanting and cheering at Roger Place.  The wasp's nest got a little stirred up there this evening, their GDT is presently 12 pages long of calling each other stupid and how their team sucks.  It's so much nicer when you go 9-0.  Lets enjoy it while we can. 

It's been a great streak but the upcoming game vs. the Penguins will be a major test. If they pull off another win against the defending champs I can't imagine a bigger confidence booster for an already confident team. As much as I'd want them to beat a healthy Penguins squad here's hoping we luck out and Crosby/Malkin are out with flu

6 hours ago, rickross said:

It's been a great streak but the upcoming game vs. the Penguins will be a major test. If they pull off another win against the defending champs I can't imagine a bigger confidence booster for an already confident team. As much as I'd want them to beat a healthy Penguins squad here's hoping we luck out and Crosby/Malkin are out with flu

The Pengies defeated Wpg., Van & Edm so far on their visit to West Canada. It falls to the Flames to stop them.

& a win would put us further ahead of the Oilers & we're within striking distance of the Ducks (& we have a game in hand).

A win would indeed further up morale. The winning streak can't go on forever but let's @ bring it to 10 before the law of averages takes over.

1 hour ago, Flyerfan52 said:

The Pengies defeated Wpg., Van & Edm so far on their visit to West Canada. It falls to the Flames to stop them.

& a win would put us further ahead of the Oilers & we're within striking distance of the Ducks (& we have a game in hand).

A win would indeed further up morale. The winning streak can't go on forever but let's @ bring it to 10 before the law of averages takes over.

A win tonight would put us aheah of the Ducks in ROW with the same number of games and points.  The Flames have been up for the challenge every step of the way, since they got into the Wild Card spot.  They are not content anymore just playing 500 hockey.  They want home ice for the playoffs.

4 hours ago, travel_dude said:

A win tonight would put us aheah of the Ducks in ROW with the same number of games and points.  The Flames have been up for the challenge every step of the way, since they got into the Wild Card spot.  They are not content anymore just playing 500 hockey.  They want home ice for the playoffs.

Home ice would be great against Anaheim. We would still need some wins there, but with playoff hockey, anything can happen.

36 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Home ice would be great against Anaheim. We would still need some wins there, but with playoff hockey, anything can happen.

Anaheim is the team I hate playing the most.  Watch any games played at the Honda Center; they are absolutely brutal.  You think teams get away with murder on Johnny, ANA cross checks guys to the head (no call), trips on breakaways (no call), slashes, you name it.  

I guess it doesn't matter if we face ANA in round one, since they will destroy EDM if we don't play them in round one.

Tonight's win against the Pens felt like a "prove we can play with the big boys" game. The pens played really well.  They have the best sticks in the lane of any team I have seen in recent years, not just in the defensive end but on the forecheck.  They were creating turnovers after turnovers in the Flames zone and hemmed the Flames in their zone for extended periods of time.  We bent but we didn't break. 

We created a lot of chances to score, spotting the late man coming into the zone numerous times but just couldn't finish.  And then finally in the third period, I thought the Pens tired out and the Flames had the upper hand.

Gaudreau showed up for the big game.  Elliott was huge.  Versteeg and Brouwer delivered on their veteran leadership.  It's was an attitude win to say we belong with the best of the best. Regardless who we play in the first round, I think we walk in there with a nice swagger.

16 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Tonight's win against the Pens felt like a "prove we can play with the big boys" game. The pens played really well.  They have the best sticks in the lane of any team I have seen in recent years, not just in the defensive end but on the forecheck.  They were creating turnovers after turnovers in the Flames zone and hemmed the Flames in their zone for extended periods of time.  We bent but we didn't break. 

We created a lot of chances to score, spotting the late man coming into the zone numerous times but just couldn't finish.  And then finally in the third period, I thought the Pens tired out and the Flames had the upper hand.

Gaudreau showed up for the big game.  Elliott was huge.  Versteeg and Brouwer delivered on their veteran leadership.  It's was an attitude win to say we belong with the best of the best. Regardless who we play in the first round, I think we walk in there with a nice swagger.

I would have to say the weakest link tonight was Brodie-Engelland.  That pair got murdered a lot of shifts in our zone.  

As far as playing with the big boys, I thought we had more quality chances overall.  Elliott did everything he could and then some, but most of his saves were just solid positioning.  The contested goal was cheap.  He was quoted as saying there was no point in challenging it, since it was 87.  No way they overturn that one.

The Wideman effect seemed to creep back into the game.  We got a miss-call, but there were too many marginal ones called or blatant ones overlooked.  Good thing our PK was mostly effective.  The PP goal against was too much pressure at the entry leaving the Pens to walk in.  Otherwise the PK was solid.

Leafs are going to miss I tell you.....

And people talked about Babcock over the last few years like he was some sort of coaching god.

Ya right!

Only a miracle can save the Kings.

Prince Iggy isn't enough.

Are they not guaranteed 3 more losses against the Flames as part of our 23 game season-ending win streak?

2016-17%20Playoff%20Projection%202017-03

1 hour ago, Pyromancer said:

Kind of disappointed with the recent success of the Leafs & Oil. I am not a meany. I am hardcore Flames!

Tight division when a loss & a night off throws you from 2nd to WC1. The winning must go on......

2015-16%20Playoff%20Projection%202016-03

If this isn't a wake up call that you can't take the foot off, then there is no hope. ?

Well, it is not the end of the world, but everything you've worked for just had a set back. It should be a motivator. The standings are close.

who likes this more than fighting for a lottery pick?

35 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

If this isn't a wake up call that you can't take the foot off, then there is no hope. ?

Well, it is not the end of the world, but everything you've worked for just had a set back. It should be a motivator. The standings are close.

who likes this more than fighting for a lottery pick?

The EDM were their responding to the wake-up call.  When youlose a game and EDM and/or ANA win, it's going to change the predictions.  

11 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

The EDM were their responding to the wake-up call.  When youlose a game and EDM and/or ANA win, it's going to change the predictions.  

Exactly, at least it makes losses that more unbearable. 

When we are fighting for a lottery pick we tend to hope for or be quite okay with a loss. 

Min a playoff race losses are painful. 

Archived