We are ̶A̶r̶e̶ ̶w̶e̶ a playoff bound team ̶?̶

CheersMan

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The remaining games with the Kings were of huge consideration a few short weeks ago.

Of course, all games are important but the situation has taken a slight change.

Now we have our goal set higher and there are bigger fish; and possibly Sharks to fry.

The battles against the Ducks & Sharks now take on a whole new meaning.

It is unfortunate our season season series against the Oil has long finished.

Wed    Mar 29    7:00 PM    vs Kings (#3)
Fri    Mar 31    7:00 PM    vs Sharks
Sun    Apr 2    7:30 PM    vs Ducks
Tue    Apr 4    8:00 PM    @ Ducks
(The Curse will end!)
Thu    Apr 6    8:30 PM    @ Kings (#4)
Sat    Apr 8    8:00 PM    @ Sharks

2016-17%20Playoff%20Projection%202017-03

^^^^^

I'm still hoping to switch places with Edm. Of their remaining game I figure 10 will be tough (including 3 against LA who are fighting for their playoff lives) & 6 kinda gimmes unless the Oilers look past teams like the Orca & 'Lanch.

Looking @ the Flames remainder I'm seeing 12 as tough & even the remaining 4 against teams like the Jets & Blues as no pushovers.

The temptation to treat each as a playoff game to pass Edm. is strong. That needs to be tempered by wanting some gas left in the tank when the real playoffs start.

It's going to be an interesting month we've got left.

10 hours ago, rocketdoctor said:

These sort of links are invaluable to me!  Really appreciate it when you guys link these interviews from Radio.

I 100% agree with this, being in Australia we don’t get any hockey news so this is the first place I look for Flames news/fan insight twice daily.

To echo Rocketdoctor this is very much appreciated.

9 hours ago, Flyerfan52 said:

^^^^^

I'm still hoping to switch places with Edm. Of their remaining game I figure 10 will be tough (including 3 against LA who are fighting for their playoff lives) & 6 kinda gimmes unless the Oilers look past teams like the Orca & 'Lanch.

Looking @ the Flames remainder I'm seeing 12 as tough & even the remaining 4 against teams like the Jets & Blues as no pushovers.

The temptation to treat each as a playoff game to pass Edm. is strong. That needs to be tempered by wanting some gas left in the tank when the real playoffs start.

It's going to be an interesting month we've got left.

I'd rather have a run of tough opponents so that we don't get into any last-minute bad habits...

Ducks are doing what they normally do, start to play better when they season matters. That was their MO under Carlyle the first time, they'd look terrible and suddenly when the season gets interesting they turn it on. 

Flames play them so at least they have a say in the standings but the Ducks look really good right now. Passing Edmonton more probable IMO. 

I think the west will go as the 1s showing red or blue #s in Pyro's chart. LA might surge ahead of St.L but I doubt it. I've been pretty sure the Jets finish n "close but no cigar" territory for a while now.

I'm hoping the east goes as the chart shows as well with the Isles nosing out the Leafs. I've had enough of the TO centered media talking up TML (they'll still talk about them & sing the praises of Matthews but @ least they'll have to give the playoff teams more than mere mention.

We'll be keeping a close eye on the Oilers & hope to pass them. They have a lot of players that have never played in the NHL playoffs so even the thought/hope might have them gripping their sticks a bit tighter. Talbot has already played 59 games & will probably play @ least 10 more this season with every 1 mattering as they haven't addressed the backup spot. Then comes playoffs with the added pressure on those new to that dance. Talbot has 0 wins in his 2 appearances.

The bravado of the long suffering fans of the Oilers & Leafs is too over the top for me. Edmonton has a spot sewed up but we can hope the run will be short.

As an aside I'm sure most of you know about the outrage of the fans over Katz & Company gouging them for playoff ducets. The poor people bought season tickets through the worst & longest rebuild from the sewer I've ever seen so he rewards them like that.

5 minutes ago, Flyerfan52 said:

I'm sure most of you know about the outrage of the fans over Katz & Company gouging them for playoff ducets. The poor people bought season tickets through the worst & longest rebuild from the sewer I've ever seen so he rewards them like that.

That's exactly what I said to my wife when I was reading the paper this morning and saw the prices...

28 minutes ago, Flyerfan52 said:

I've had enough of the TO centered media talking up TML (they'll still talk about them & sing the praises of Matthews but @ least they'll have to give the playoff teams more than mere mention.

Totals man.  We know even if they miss the playoffs, somehow the Leafs will get mention during intermissions on Flames playoff games.  They sneak this in during hockey night in Canada every Saturday so there's no reason to believe the playoffs would be any different.  

And that's if they miss the playoffs.  If they make it, man, then we won't even see Flames highlights even if we win the Cup. 

37 minutes ago, Flyerfan52 said:

As an aside I'm sure most of you know about the outrage of the fans over Katz & Company gouging them for playoff ducets. The poor people bought season tickets through the worst & longest rebuild from the sewer I've ever seen so he rewards them like that.

32 minutes ago, Carty said:

That's exactly what I said to my wife when I was reading the paper this morning and saw the prices...

Every playoff team gouges their fans come playoff season, prices go up every round.  Oilers haven't been to the playoffs in 10 yrs so their fans forget how it works.   

7 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Totals man.  We know even if they miss the playoffs, somehow the Leafs will get mention during intermissions on Flames playoff games.  They sneak this in during hockey night in Canada every Saturday so there's no reason to believe the playoffs would be any different.  

And that's if they miss the playoffs.  If they make it, man, then we won't even see Flames highlights even if we win the Cup. 

You said it Peeps! The Canadian media is as bad as the Nothing But Crosby channel in the states. There the Pengies could be idle but they'd tell us what Crosby had for breakfast while ignoring a play unfolding. After that it's something like "so & so just scored to tie this game" & then back to Sid news.

8 minutes ago, Flyerfan52 said:

You said it Peeps! The Canadian media is as bad as the Nothing But Crosby channel in the states. There the Pengies could be idle but they'd tell us what Crosby had for breakfast while ignoring a play unfolding. After that it's something like "so & so just scored to tie this game" & then back to Sid news.

Yups, going into the third period with a two goal lead.  Do we get analysts chatting up strategy for the Flames?  Nope.  Cue Auston Matthews in a fundraiser for children in Markham... way back before the season began during summer.

:rolleyes:

5 minutes ago, CheersMan said:

Every playoff team gouges their fans come playoff season, prices go up every round.  Oilers haven't been to the playoffs in 10 yrs so their fans forget how it works.   

For fans that paid for season tickets when it started kept them solvent when fans in many cities (like Pittsburgh) would be long gone. They kept renewing even though the price went up as the quality went down for fear they'd have to join the rear of a lineup wanting tickets if/when the Oilers brass aimed to win rather than revel in having 1st OA pick. Those years those held hostage couldn't give tickets away let alone sell them @ a discount.

It would have been good PR to keep the increase for playoffs lower as a reward.

It seems Katz has no respect for the city nor the fans. While trying to get that sweetheart deal on financing his new arena & surrounding area there was a story (by some insider as all Oiler fans believe they have a source. They even have a closed website where most are insiders & they revel in using swear words) that a trip Katz & his paid former Oiler cadre made to Seattle was actually scouting out buyers to move the Oilers.

It doesn't much matter as it's a captive audience so he spits on them & tells them it's rain. After years of lies they still hold out hope.

38 minutes ago, CheersMan said:

It still doesn't make it right...   Especially when fans supported a team by buying tickets and overpriced merchandise for years when a team was at or near the bottom of the league...

1 minute ago, Carty said:

It still doesn't make it right...   Especially when fans supported a team by buying tickets and overpriced merchandise for years when a team was a or near the bottom of the league...

It sure doesn't. What that tells me is that you are a tool supporting the business when they really need you (i.e. when the team is not playing well). 

2 hours ago, Flyerfan52 said:

For fans that paid for season tickets when it started kept them solvent when fans in many cities (like Pittsburgh) would be long gone. They kept renewing even though the price went up as the quality went down for fear they'd have to join the rear of a lineup wanting tickets if/when the Oilers brass aimed to win rather than revel in having 1st OA pick. Those years those held hostage couldn't give tickets away let alone sell them @ a discount.

It would have been good PR to keep the increase for playoffs lower as a reward.

It seems Katz has no respect for the city nor the fans. While trying to get that sweetheart deal on financing his new arena & surrounding area there was a story (by some insider as all Oiler fans believe they have a source. They even have a closed website where most are insiders & they revel in using swear words) that a trip Katz & his paid former Oiler cadre made to Seattle was actually scouting out buyers to move the Oilers.

It doesn't much matter as it's a captive audience so he spits on them & tells them it's rain. After years of lies they still hold out hope.

2 hours ago, Carty said:

It still doesn't make it right...   Especially when fans supported a team by buying tickets and overpriced merchandise for years when a team was at or near the bottom of the league...

There is no disputing the Oilers were severely mismanaged for a decade (thank you Klowe & Katz :)).  The futility of the TML over the same period is comparable.  I couldn’t imagine the TML holding tickets prices level through their next playoff year.  Even though Ownerships increase playoff ticket prices incrementally round by round, there is still room for fans to flip tickets for a profit as well.  Everybody pays more come playoffs.      

18 minutes ago, CheersMan said:

There is no disputing the Oilers were severely mismanaged for a decade (thank you Klowe & Katz :)).  The futility of the TML over the same period is comparable.  I couldn’t imagine the TML holding tickets prices level through their next playoff year.  Even though Ownerships increase playoff ticket prices incrementally round by round, there is still room for fans to flip tickets for a profit as well.  Everybody pays more come playoffs.      

For the OIl it's a 44% increase for the nosebleeds and  62% for the better seats and that's just for the first round, at goes up incrementally from there...   and I imagine that it will be much the same for a good number of teams...   It's ridiculous...

I used to pay it, and I admit buying tickets for good seats from a scalper for the playoffs as well...   But the last time I did that was in 2004 during the playoff run, and I would never do it again...   I came to my senses...

40 minutes ago, Carty said:

For the OIl it's a 44% increase for the nosebleeds and  62% for the better seats and that's just for the first round, at goes up incrementally from there...   and I imagine that it will be much the same for a good number of teams...   It's ridiculous...

I used to pay it, and I admit buying tickets for good seats from a scalper for the playoffs as well...   But the last time I did that was in 2004 during the playoff run, and I would never do it again...   I came to my senses...

There's a good chance that the Oiler fans don't have to worry about the price of tickets for round one, let alone round two.  He he.

1 hour ago, Carty said:

Carty, you will be looking for after market tickets come spring, you just watch. :)

26 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

There's a good chance that the Oiler fans don't have to worry about the price of tickets for round one, let alone round two.  He he.

That’s what I was thinking.  At best they get two home games, not a big expense.

What did Burke say a couple days ago when asked if he thought the Flames were going to the playoffs?  Something to the effect that "only a fool would claim they are a playoff bound team before the league says you are".  If the Coilers lose tonight I think the Flames pass them in the standings?  A month before playoffs start, Katz is counting his dollars and pissing off the paying fan, before they punch their ticket to the playoffs.  Some things may never change up there.   

2 hours ago, CheersMan said:

Carty, you will be looking for after market tickets come spring, you just watch. :)

Yup...   I'll just watch on the new 70 inch HD tv I can buy for less than the cost of just 2 of the tickets I bought last time they went to the final round...   :lol:

1 hour ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

Another loser point for the oilers last night. Im glad to see they are keeping games close, but pittsburgh was all over them last night.

I posted this in the Oil thread, but then I saw your post so I'll add it here as well...

Too bad that the OIl got a point last night, but it was nice to see McDavid score one for the Pengies...   It's 56 sec in...

Archived