What Is Best For Matthew Tkachuk

Sirwilliam89

Reboot.

Cruikshank with an article on paywall Athletic about Chuky being a hockey junkey, always watching.

Keith, quoted, in the article:

“I used to say all the time to Matthew and his brother, ‘Whatever you do, I want you to watch only one player — Pavel Datsyuk.’

That's awfully good advice, lol.

Still the only guy that caught JG admiring his pass, lol.

Good coachable moment.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another excerpt from The Athletic, a rag I whole-heartedly support and promote as the best, and least opinionated, sports journalism around.:ph34r::)

Soon after the Flames drafted the kid sixth overall in 2016 there came a crash course in the team’s history — at his dad’s insistence.

“I honestly knew not much, if anything, about Calgary and he (emphasized that I should) know who played here before, who was on the Stanley Cup team,” he said. “He wanted me to be very interested in the Battle of Alberta. Who were the big rivalry teams? Who was on them back in the day? He thinks it’s important for you to know the former players. He knows from experience that former players come to games, they come to the rink a lot. It’s important to pay your respects.”

Added Keith: “Hopefully, he listened to me. A lot of these young kids are video-game freaks and all this stuff, but I think it’s important to know the game and know the people in front of you — what they meant to the organization, what they meant to the game.”

Didn’t know where to put this, so I’d thought I’d throw it in here. I’ve seen two reports (summarizes) from Dreger saying: “Duchene and Ottawa aren’t close on number, which most likely means he’s leaving” ... and ... “teams are most likely going to offer sheet Mitch marker.”

2 points: 

1. I hope Treliving gets out in front of this one before the circus of Toronto kicks in and Marner and Mathews get paid. Can he not work on an extension for Tkachuk now?

2. With Duchene looking like he is moving on from Ottawa, is it safe to assume that Stone would be as well? Time to overpay for stone to create two lethal lines for the playoffs. We all know once he gets here he will love it and with success should be an easy resign in the offseason.

Didn’t know where to put this, so I’d thought I’d throw it in here. I’ve seen two reports (summarizes) from Dreger saying: “Duchene and Ottawa aren’t close on number, which most likely means he’s leaving” ... and ... “teams are most likely going to offer sheet Mitch marker.”

2 points: 

1. I hope Treliving gets out in front of this one before the circus of Toronto kicks in and Marner and Mathews get paid. Can he not work on an extension for Tkachuk now?

2. With Duchene looking like he is moving on from Ottawa, is it safe to assume that Stone would be as well? Time to overpay for stone to create two lethal lines for the playoffs. We all know once he gets here he will love it and with success should be an easy resign in the offseason.

24 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

What if the Canucks drafted Tkachuk instead if Joulevi and took William Nylander intead of Jake Virtanen?

We're talking,

Tkachuk - Petterson - Boeser

Baertschi - Horvat - Nylander

That's actually something serious.

Are you seriously fantasizing about what the Canucks could be?

Been thinking about Tkachuk’s extension after the Matthews deal. Don’t think an 8 year deal is the most likely route now, that could be 9+.

I have a feeling the most likely route BT goes is to sign Tkachuk to a 2 year deal in the 6-6.5 range. While Tkachuk at 7-8 would be worth every penny I think this management will have a hard time paying him more than Gaudreau.

Reason why I suggest a 2 year deal is at that point Tkachuk will remain an RFA. Gaudreau will have one season left on his deal as well. Heading into that summer you can see if Johnny has any interest in an extension or if he wants to go the way of Panarin. If he wants to sign an extension great, if not make Tkachuk the highest paid Flame without hesitation 

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Been thinking about Tkachuk’s extension after the Matthews deal. Don’t think an 8 year deal is the most likely route now, that could be 9+.

I have a feeling the most likely route BT goes is to sign Tkachuk to a 2 year deal in the 6-6.5 range. While Tkachuk at 7-8 would be worth every penny I think this management will have a hard time paying him more than Gaudreau.

Reason why I suggest a 2 year deal is at that point Tkachuk will remain an RFA. Gaudreau will have one season left on his deal as well. Heading into that summer you can see if Johnny has any interest in an extension or if he wants to go the way of Panarin. If he wants to sign an extension great, if not make Tkachuk the highest paid Flame without hesitation 

I think people are getting way to hyped on Tkachuk. The guy is a good player but he is no Austin Matthews or even Mitch Marner. Tkachuk IMO should land in the 6.5M to 7.5M range.

On 2019-02-01 at 3:55 PM, The_People1 said:

What if the Canucks drafted Tkachuk instead if Joulevi and took William Nylander intead of Jake Virtanen?

We're talking,

Tkachuk - Petterson - Boeser

Baertschi - Horvat - Nylander

That's actually something serious.

The Casucks have done a much better job drafting and obviously have some key pieces in place. I do recall being genuinely shocked they took juolevi over tkachuk at the time. They’ll be a handful to deal with in a couple years, we should keep an eye on them. They’ll be looking to seek revenge on us for ousting them in rd 1 a few years back, tables reversed with them being the young underdogs now if they qualify. 

11 minutes ago, rickross said:

The Casucks have done a much better job drafting and obviously have some key pieces in place. I do recall being genuinely shocked they took juolevi over tkachuk at the time. They’ll be a handful to deal with in a couple years, we should keep an eye on them. They’ll be looking to seek revenge on us for ousting them in rd 1 a few years back, tables reversed with them being the young underdogs now if they qualify. 

VAN will be a good team real soon however they will need to add some experience to their mix. You have to love the competition it's what makes it exciting for us fans.

16 minutes ago, rickross said:

I think only the fans would be seeking revenge for something that happened a few years ago. How much of that lineup is still on their roster?

I am on the bandwagon of giving Tkachuk a 3 year bridge hopefully under the Monahan deal. I don't feel he is an elite player as some on here feel and should definitely not be paid as one. It will be interesting to see where the cap goes with the addition of Seattle. If in 3 years the cap continues to escalate and Tkachuk continues to trend upwards we just need to pay the man THEN.

2 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

The "highest paid" thing means nothing right now.  I think i was an attificial thing used by BT to keep salaries down.  We needed to because of bad contracts.  IN 2 years time, 10m will be the norm for high end players.  It keeps going up.  I'm of the opinion that you get as much term as you can now.  Give Tkachuk what he has earned, then when JH's deal is up, you pay him if he's tops on the team.  It's how it works unfortunately.  Bridge deal Tkachuk now, while he is still coming into his own, and you will pay a lot later.  He's playing on a shutdown line right now.  And he's kinda having a mini slump.

15 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

The "highest paid" thing means nothing right now.  I think i was an attificial thing used by BT to keep salaries down.  We needed to because of bad contracts.  IN 2 years time, 10m will be the norm for high end players.  It keeps going up.  I'm of the opinion that you get as much term as you can now.  Give Tkachuk what he has earned, then when JH's deal is up, you pay him if he's tops on the team.  It's how it works unfortunately.  Bridge deal Tkachuk now, while he is still coming into his own, and you will pay a lot later.  He's playing on a shutdown line right now.  And he's kinda having a mini slump.

Mid Tkachuk a 1st or 2nd liner? 

He hasn’t really made the 2nd line a huge threat. Sure it’s the play of Backlund and whoever slots in on RW, but other than being on the pp he has looked average to good this year, not elite. 

Id go 7-7.25 x 8yrs.

I agree that Tkachuk likely isn't going to get a 7-8 year deal but imo a 2-3 year deal would be a massive error by the Flames and probably shorten the window when both he and Gaudreau need 10mill plus a season apart from one another. 

I can live with a 5 year deal but nothing shorter. 

2 hours ago, robrob74 said:

Mid Tkachuk a 1st or 2nd liner? 

He hasn’t really made the 2nd line a huge threat. Sure it’s the play of Backlund and whoever slots in on RW, but other than being on the pp he has looked average to good this year, not elite. 

Id go 7-7.25 x 8yrs.

I'm talking about comps.

In 2-3 years, the comps will be insane.

The cap keeps jumping.

Need to lock him up to at least 5 years, thoufg would prefer 7 max.

8 will be too costly with Marner getting max dollars by the end of training camp.

What Tkachuk has done over the last few years, considering what he's being asked to do, is amazing.  A rookie on the top shut down line.  Starting mostly in the D-zone.  What he's doing this season is less than it could be.  Imagine if all those misses on empty nets by Backlund were goals.  Imagine if he had an elite player at C or on his wing. Draisaitl gets a lot of props (some deserved), yet he pots a lot of points playing on the PP with McDavid.  Some of his time this season is playing with McDavid, especially in OT.  Tap in goals a lot of times.  

What I am getting at is that guys getting that many points make a ton.  Draisaitl was overpaid to begin with, but by the time his contract is done, he will be middle of the road for salary.

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

I agree that Tkachuk likely isn't going to get a 7-8 year deal but imo a 2-3 year deal would be a massive error by the Flames and probably shorten the window when both he and Gaudreau need 10mill plus a season apart from one another. 

I can live with a 5 year deal but nothing shorter. 

Ya man.  I want a 6-year deal to buy some UFA years but once we go 7 or 8 years, then we're talking $9-mil+.  

35 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

In 5 years, that's cheap, is the problem.

I'd be willing to do 8 x 8.5 personally.

The market is not getting cheaper.

Get what you can for term.

If we can get Tkachuk for Draisaitl money for 8-years, then i would do it except it's probably $9-mil+.  BT has decided to go with shorter terms to bring down the average cap hit to fit more mid-tier players to get a more balanced team.  I think he will follow the same sort of philosophy because it's worked.  

Only problem is we can't be spending $5-mil-per on 3rd line has beens... but the general idea works.

1 minute ago, The_People1 said:

If we can get Tkachuk for Draisaitl money for 8-years, then i would do it except it's probably $9-mil+.  BT has decided to go with shorter terms to bring down the average cap hit to fit more mid-tier players to get a more balanced team.  I think he will follow the same sort of philosophy because it's worked.  

Only problem is we can't be spending $5-mil-per on 3rd line has beens... but the general idea works.

What about 3M plus for4th liners?

Archived