What Is Best For Matthew Tkachuk

Sirwilliam89

Hey guys, new to the site- huge flames fan.

This offseason has been great imo. The draft we had was excellent, in signing a goaltender in elliott to having Matthew Tkachuk fall to our laps... we have definitely made some very positive moves.

Quickly want to mention Troy Brouwer signing, I like it and yes it is a million dollars more and a year more than it should.. but thats free agency. We also filled a huge void we have on the team, adding some skill and size to the top 6 and getting a big RW. I personally think he was brought in to play with Sam Bennett, they mentioned having a veteran presence on his line this season. 

Okay now the main question that pops up on every fan page and in every lineup projection for us next season.... Will Matthew Tkachuk be on the team next year, and what is best for him. I think he has the size, maturity and skill to be on the team next year, but I do not want to see him getting 3rd and 4th line minutes. Apparently our new coach is good at working with younger players, he helped develop Jamie Benn, and it looks like he had a positive influence and Baertshi's strong play last season. So if he wows in camp, I say give him a shot, at least for the first few games in a top 6 role. I also think it would be great for his development if he spent an extra year in London refining his skill and taking the leadership role on that team. It is a great system and an extra year in London will likely be a positive. I can see Tkachuk being a Corey Perry type of player if he continues progressing, and am so stoked we were able to draft him.

I think the flames have a shot at being a playoff team if younger guys continue to take positive strives developmentally, we need a big year from Bennett and of course Monny and Gaudreau. If we get good goaltending, which I expect we will, this should be a very exciting season. 

What do you guys think/want to do with Matthew??

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome, and nice layout of your thoughts on quick post.

I personally think he's better suited to not be rushed.  I think Monahan was an outlier and made the team moreso out of necessity than showing the club he belonged at 18 years old.

I say send Tkachuk back and let him own the league.

Our 2nd or 3rd line LW does not appear to be solidified.  Its there for the taking should one of our tweeners feel they’re ready.  Maybe it gets filled from the outside.  If Tkachuk is deserving, then he needs leap frog 6-8 players in training camp.  If he can do it then all power to him, if not, then he spends another year maturing likely in London.

db704252c9e90a1f6ad144257f95dbb8.png

Time will tell. Tkachuks strong suit is play at the net, so I believe it will take time to morph up to the next level, and I am perfectly fine with that. Most players don't come in at 18 and there is risk in having them do so.

I don't see a reason to take that risk. He'll have a long career, no need to rush it.

Time will tell. Tkachuks strong suit is play at the net, so I believe it will take time to morph up to the next level, and I am perfectly fine with that. Most players don't come in at 18 and there is risk in having them do so.

I don't see a reason to take that risk. He'll have a long career, no need to rush it.

I think times are a changing.  Top picks are playing a lot more frequently in their draft+1 season.  Your statement "most players" is true regarding all players selected in the first round, but if you look at top picks that isn't true.  

Saying that, I can't tell you where he is right now.  Would like to see him suit up at least in pre-season and a few games. Unfortunately, the first few games is against the dregs of the Pacific.

Hey guys, new to the site- huge flames fan.

This offseason has been great imo. The draft we had was excellent, in signing a goaltender in elliott to having Matthew Tkachuk fall to our laps... we have definitely made some very positive moves.

Quickly want to mention Troy Brouwer signing, I like it and yes it is a million dollars more and a year more than it should.. but thats free agency. We also filled a huge void we have on the team, adding some skill and size to the top 6 and getting a big RW. I personally think he was brought in to play with Sam Bennett, they mentioned having a veteran presence on his line this season. 

Okay now the main question that pops up on every fan page and in every lineup projection for us next season.... Will Matthew Tkachuk be on the team next year, and what is best for him. I think he has the size, maturity and skill to be on the team next year, but I do not want to see him getting 3rd and 4th line minutes. Apparently our new coach is good at working with younger players, he helped develop Jamie Benn, and it looks like he had a positive influence and Baertshi's strong play last season. So if he wows in camp, I say give him a shot, at least for the first few games in a top 6 role. I also think it would be great for his development if he spent an extra year in London refining his skill and taking the leadership role on that team. It is a great system and an extra year in London will likely be a positive. I can see Tkachuk being a Corey Perry type of player if he continues progressing, and am so stoked we were able to draft him.

I think the flames have a shot at being a playoff team if younger guys continue to take positive strives developmentally, we need a big year from Bennett and of course Monny and Gaudreau. If we get good goaltending, which I expect we will, this should be a very exciting season. 

What do you guys think/want to do with Matthew??

I am in the back to London camp for a few reasons. He has 2 years of Junior remaining and last season played on a line with Marner that faced the same situation being drafted by TOR. Tkachuk has a chance to go back and be the man for London in 2016/17, he will develop further and management will learn more about him. Learning on the job in the NHL can be not such a good thing if you are not ready for it.

Secondly, we have 3 or 4 LW players here now that we should use this year to find out what they have to offer with their games. Lastly I think there should be some focus on Bennett and advancing his play as an NHL C with some experience on both wings for his line.

I think the Flames have to be careful with him, taking into account his style of play and who is currently in our top 3 LW.  Bouma and Ferland are not legit 2nd liners so Tkachuk may well beat out both of them based on his skill.  But his hard nosed style is going to be tough to take to the NHL at 18 years old.  I'm leaning towards another year of junior.

I am in the back to London camp for a few reasons. He has 2 years of Junior remaining and last season played on a line with Marner that faced the same situation being drafted by TOR. Tkachuk has a chance to go back and be the man for London in 2016/17, he will develop further and management will learn more about him. Learning on the job in the NHL can be not such a good thing if you are not ready for it.

Secondly, we have 3 or 4 LW players here now that we should use this year to find out what they have to offer with their games. Lastly I think there should be some focus on Bennett and advancing his play as an NHL C with some experience on both wings for his line.

If he goes back to London, there is also a chance that Marner goes back to junior.  He's too young to play in the AHL, like Tkachuk.

I am leaning towards having him play the first 9 games, then return to junior.  He will probably have some really good games, but we will probably see where his game is lacking.  If it's not something that can be easily fixed in season, then he will get sent back.  

I don't automatically have him slotted for LW, since he can play either wing.  He will play NHL games wherever there is a fit.

The prospect depth is a bit of a conundrum.  They are only getting the chance to play because of injury, whether they deserve the chance or not.  We have some guys that are better fit for top 6 play.  We have new guys coming in that are going to be motivated and have longer careers before starting pro.  Tkachuk will be hard-pressed to beat out the likes of Mangiapane, Pullock and Janko.

The fact that two of them are center doesn't mean too much, as you fit the players in that show ability.  

I believe its too early to tell. The Flames likely are expecting him to spend another year at least in junior.

They wont take the oilers approach and pencil him in unless he proves otherwise in camp. They are however open to be proven wrong, if he comesnin and proves he should be here then great.

Bennett I believe would have gone back were it not for his injury, Monahan just flat out made them keep him.

Unless he clicks on the top line, the best thing for his development is another year in London. Be the guy, get top minutes and play all situations like he will here when hes ready. To be here playing sheltered munutes on a bottom line does him no good

I believe its too early to tell. The Flames likely are expecting him to spend another year at least in junior.

They wont take the oilers approach and pencil him in unless he proves otherwise in camp. They are however open to be proven wrong, if he comesnin and proves he should be here then great.

Bennett I believe would have gone back were it not for his injury, Monahan just flat out made them keep him.

Unless he clicks on the top line, the best thing for his development is another year in London. Be the guy, get top minutes and play all situations like he will here when hes ready. To be here playing sheltered munutes on a bottom line does him no good

If you mean sheltered minutes like Monahan got his first year, then it does benefit him.  Even if he shows he is ready to play in the NHL, he won't be exposed on the top line.  At best, he would be on Bennett's line in a protected minutes situation.  Does that hurt him?  Only if he isn't ready. 

Welcome! Always nice to see new members and well thought out post

I agree it's too hard to tell right now, training camp will determine what is best for him.

My personal prefence is he goes back to junior but I would say that about basically every prospect. I think 90% of the time its better for prospects to go back to junior because they all have developing to do and i'm of the no rush mentality. I think his skill is NHL levle, I think he thinks an NHL level but I don't think right now he skates at an NHL level so I'd rather so him go back to junior and really work on that. Not to mention, I think him going back to London without Dvorak and maybe even Marner would be a huge beneift for him, not to mention he likely would be the top player for the World junior team for the US. 

But if he proves me wrong, he makes the team but at this point hard to say. 

If you mean sheltered minutes like Monahan got his first year, then it does benefit him.  Even if he shows he is ready to play in the NHL, he won't be exposed on the top line.  At best, he would be on Bennett's line in a protected minutes situation.  Does that hurt him?  Only if he isn't ready.

I should clarify yes, I consider the top 2 lines the "top line" as equal. And by sheltered I mean playing him 7-8 minutes per night down on the 3rd and 4th. His future role is playing with skilled players in a scoring role, if hes not doing that then he should go back.

I will say this, I think he'll make it especially if he gets his 9 games in. Hes smart, hes already sought out Monahan to pick his brain, he of course has a dad to teach him what to be prepared for, I think it will come down to whether or not he can put some pounds on his frame.and be effective in his game with the extra muscle on.

I should clarify yes, I consider the top 2 lines the "top line" as equal. And by sheltered I mean playing him 7-8 minutes per night down on the 3rd and 4th. His future role is playing with skilled players in a scoring role, if hes not doing that then he should go back.

I will say this, I think he'll make it especially if he gets his 9 games in. Hes smart, hes already sought out Monahan to pick his brain, he of course has a dad to teach him what to be prepared for, I think it will come down to whether or not he can put some pounds on his frame.and be effective in his game with the extra muscle on.

I think there is a fair chance that he plays on Bennett's LW and Shinkaruk plays on Backlund's LW.  That's assuming Tkachuk gets any games at all.  If for only 9 games, then Shinkaruk bumps up to Bennett's line, while Ferland replaces him on Backlund's line.

There.  Have it all worked out.  Have sent recommendations to GG.  :)

If he doesn't make it this year, he will have the same type of battle next year, but have to compete against some of the older prospects.  

Tkachuk will determine where he plays next year, if he comes into camp and shows that he is ready then great, if he needs more time in London that is fine too.

If he does show he is ready for the show, I am fine with him getting 3rd line minutes. I think the 3rd line gives young skill players the ability play 13-15 mins a night while being deployed in advantageous situations to help them get acclimatized to the NHL.

I think there lies the question, this is a year they should want to see Bennett move out of protected time and would adding another protection need such as Tkachuk the right thing to do. I say not. I would love to jump the gun with Tkachuk only because I do see him eventually being the best option on Bennett's LW. I noticed BT is tempering his comments regarding Tkachuk when asked this very question now as well. Let camp happen and we will see what happens, I'm not going to be disappointed either way.

Tkachuk will determine where he plays next year, if he comes into camp and shows that he is ready then great, if he needs more time in London that is fine too.

If he does show he is ready for the show, I am fine with him getting 3rd line minutes. I think the 3rd line gives young skill players the ability play 13-15 mins a night while being deployed in advantageous situations to help them get acclimatized to the NHL.

Third line minutes is hard to tell these day.  It's either Backlund or Bennett, as they both tend to play the same amount of minutes.  Bennett's line will be the more like to be against softer competition and better zone starts.  At least that is the theory.  

I think there lies the question, this is a year they should want to see Bennett move out of protected time and would adding another protection need such as Tkachuk the right thing to do. I say not. I would love to jump the gun with Tkachuk only because I do see him eventually being the best option on Bennett's LW. I noticed BT is tempering his comments regarding Tkachuk when asked this very question now as well. Let camp happen and we will see what happens, I'm not going to be disappointed either way.

Monahan is going to face the best competition when the other teams have last change.  We are going to start Backlund against the best when we get the last change.  Bennett is still a work-in-progress at center, so I don't want to see them exposing him yet.  He's only had part of a season and needs time to develop still.  Let him build confidence by being sheltered.  He won't need it forever.

Third line minutes is hard to tell these day.  It's either Backlund or Bennett, as they both tend to play the same amount of minutes.  Bennett's line will be the more like to be against softer competition and better zone starts.  At least that is the theory.  

Monahan is going to face the best competition when the other teams have last change.  We are going to start Backlund against the best when we get the last change.  Bennett is still a work-in-progress at center, so I don't want to see them exposing him yet.  He's only had part of a season and needs time to develop still.  Let him build confidence by being sheltered.  He won't need it forever.

Hard to say, in his presser, GG had an interesting outlook when he said he wants to play his best lines against the best lines.said by doing that it's skill vs skill and you generate more scoring chances. It will be interesting to see how it plays out, but it will mean fewer matchups against lesser lines.

Hard to say, in his presser, GG had an interesting outlook when he said he wants to play his best lines against the best lines.said by doing that it's skill vs skill and you generate more scoring chances. It will be interesting to see how it plays out, but it will mean fewer matchups against lesser lines.

It makes sense on one hand, since you don't try to use the 4th line to shut down other lines.  You don't get much choice on the road, though.  You just have toi roll the lines the best you can.  

I think the Flames have to be careful with him, taking into account his style of play and who is currently in our top 3 LW. Bouma and Ferland are not legit 2nd liners so Tkachuk may well beat out both of them based on his skill. But his hard nosed style is going to be tough to take to the NHL at 18 years old. I'm leaning towards another year of junior.

Bouma and Ferland are not legit 2nd liners yet and have a lot to prove after last season. Both had bad years and Ferland didn't progress as hoped.

There are still a few players that need to continue their development. Ferland and Bennett are two.

For me, Tkachuk would do well going back to London, as some have said, to continue his development. He plays a hard nosed game and isn't a man yet to play that style against men. Give him one year.

Plus for salary structure, I would like to spread out the dough further and have him on an entry level contract when we are ready to go deep into the playoffs in about 3 years. (if we get there?)

Is that not what I said here ?

Not quite.  You suggested exposing Bennett.  I suggested sheltering him, as he will likely have a kid on his line and would hope he gets to pot a few to bring back some of his confidence.

I agree with this. Also on another note I dont think you have to shelter a winger the same way you shelter a center. If tkachuk comes into the league this year or next year, him playing on a strong line with experienced players would be the same thing as sheltering him. But this season I think the look of him playing with bennett and brouwer would allow them both to be sheltered and it could be a deadly combination.  If tkachuk comes into the league the following year there would be a little more freedom of which line he can play on as I would assume there would be more experience.

It makes sense on one hand, since you don't try to use the 4th line to shut down other lines. You don't get much choice on the road, though. You just have toi roll the lines the best you can.

It will depend on how the other team sees the Bennett line (on the road). It could very well pan out, Monahan, Backlund, Bennett as top 3. Bennett still has a lot to show as a C and that's no slight on him.

I agree with this. Also on another note I dont think you have to shelter a winger the same way you shelter a center. If tkachuk comes into the league this year or next year, him playing on a strong line with experienced players would be the same thing as sheltering him. But this season I think the look of him playing with bennett and brouwer would allow them both to be sheltered and it could be a deadly combination.  If tkachuk comes into the league the following year there would be a little more freedom of which line he can play on as I would assume there would be more experience.

I think you want to put Bennett in the best situation to score.  Monahan's line, with a consistent RW, will score a lot.  Depending on personnel, Backlund's line may pot a bunch too.  If you give Bennett a Frolik or Brouwer on RW, he will be fine.  Giving him a slightly better O-zone start ratio will allow him and Brouwer to concentrate on offense.  I don't want to see Brouwer used in a shut-down role.

Archived