What Is Best For Matthew Tkachuk

Sirwilliam89

That isn't correct. Larkin announced he was going to the U of Michigan, was drafted and played his first yr. At the end of the season he signed his ELC and joined Grand Rapids on their playoff run.

He was a rookie NHLer last year, a yr after his draft, and was the first 19yo to make Detroit's roster in 25-or so years.

He was around 1.5ppg as a rookie in the NCAA and racked up over 200 shots as a rookie with the Wings.

That was my point exactly. I didn't say he came in as an 18yo. He forced Detroit to put him in much sooner than they usually do.

What gets lost when people talk about the Detroit model is Detroit has traditionally drafted very late so the prospects they get are often futher away from the NHL. I think if people are holding up the Detroit model and using it as proof that ALL prospects should wait, your are missing the point. To me the Detroit model represents that the vast majority of prospects need to wait and should wait until they are ready but that they are always exceptions and the player is going to tell you when you have an exception or not. 

True. Larkin was one of the few exceptions.

This is one of those times were it would be nice to send a young player to the AHL. That might be the Goldilocks zone for a player like Tkachuk but alas it is not possible.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well since we dont have an official tkachuk thread ill put it here.

Was listening to edmonton sports radio this morning, and there was actually a sense in edmonton that they are super pissed off about tkachuk.

After he boarded russell, and apparantly slue footed davidson leading to his injury, im assuming that was the scrum behind the net where bennett/pouliot got penalties.

Now they are like we need to send a message, and maybe we should get nurse to tune tkachuk up or lucic will have to send a message saying you did that, not we are going to take a run at gaudreau. any thoughts everyone?

I personally couldnt help but laugh, that tkachuk made that much of an impact on the oilers fanbase from those two acts, which were rather small.

6 minutes ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

Was listening to edmonton sports radio this morning, and there was actually a sense in edmonton that they are super pissed off about tkachuk.

After he boarded russell, and apparantly slue footed davidson leading to his injury, im assuming that was the scrum behind the net where bennett/pouliot got penalties.

Now they are like we need to send a message, and maybe we should get nurse to tune tkachuk up or lucic will have to send a message saying you did that, not we are going to take a run at gaudreau. any thoughts everyone?

I personally couldnt help but laugh, that tkachuk made that much of an impact on the oilers fanbase from those two acts, which were rather small.

Bring it on, we love a spirited game between these two teams. I will say I don't think EDM will want Lucic doing all their fighting for them, this isn't why they got him. Teams have been running at Johnny for 2 years now so I doubt he is concerned.

The bigger question for the Flames is, does Tkachuk stay past the 9 games ? Personally I would say NO from what I have seen he has some maturing to achieve yet.

19 minutes ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

For one thing, the fans are not the team.  The team has to decide if there is any reason to start the Cold War.  They run a player, then it's open season on their stars.  Neither team sees that as beneficial.  

McDavid, Nuge and Eberle would have targets on their backs.

3 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

He will be fine, he plays on the edge and when you do that you will have to stand up for yourself.

After watching the last game Lucic is about as scary as a kitten with mittens on. He hasn't been the same player since Dalton Prout knocked him out.

Agreed.  You know that the refs are watching Lucic after belting an official during one of his fights.  

Tkachuk is also not exactly a small boy.  Brouwer will stand up for him, as will any of the D-men out there.  

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Agreed.  You know that the refs are watching Lucic after belting an official during one of his fights.  

Tkachuk is also not exactly a small boy.  Brouwer will stand up for him, as will any of the D-men out there.  

Oh im not worried I think he will be fine.

Although I have to agree with mac so far im thinking he will go back to junior, but he still has 8 games to change my mind. 

But I like what ive seen from him in the preseason and game 1.

31 minutes ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

Oh im not worried I think he will be fine.

Although I have to agree with mac so far im thinking he will go back to junior, but he still has 8 games to change my mind. 

But I like what ive seen from him in the preseason and game 1.

The talents Tkachuk has are evident however I think they should be further advanced at the Junior level not at the NHL level yet.

Should he go back I would want to see Ferland with Bennett and Brouwer, these players are more his style than Backlund and Frolik.

48 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

The talents Tkachuk has are evident however I think they should be further advanced at the Junior level not at the NHL level yet.

Should he go back I would want to see Ferland with Bennett and Brouwer, these players are more his style than Backlund and Frolik.

I don't have an opinion on where he should go after a single game.  The body of work needs to be bigger.  As to who replaces him, yes Ferland is the likely choice.  Could replace his LW spot on Backlund line with a kid.  We have lots of LW prospects that could be tried out.

32 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I don't have an opinion on where he should go after a single game.  The body of work needs to be bigger.  As to who replaces him, yes Ferland is the likely choice.  Could replace his LW spot on Backlund line with a kid.  We have lots of LW prospects that could be tried out.

Yeah sorry I have seen and said this for awhile now and honestly think he isn't fully ready.

27 minutes ago, DirtyDeeds said:

Well he has ben our 2nd best left winger. He will get serious consideration re staying all season because the Flames are better with him here. 

Agreed, who on the farm do we have right now that is better than Tkachuk?  If you send him down, you need to replace him.  Is Shinkaruk ready? Janko or Poirier? I don't think so.

4 minutes ago, ABC923 said:

Agreed, who on the farm do we have right now that is better than Tkachuk?  If you send him down, you need to replace him.  Is Shinkaruk ready? Janko or Poirier? I don't think so.

The only reason to send him to junior is if he needs to develop his NHL game or you feel he isn't ready for a full NHL season.  It's not a question so much of who we have ready.  That is a separate discussion.

1 hour ago, DirtyDeeds said:

Well he has ben our 2nd best left winger. He will get serious consideration re staying all season because the Flames are better with him here. 

That may not be saying much so far to date. This will be a significant decision regarding his development.

45 minutes ago, ABC923 said:

Is Shinkaruk ready ? he might be more NHL ready than Tkachuk given the opportunity. He didn't have a good camp but he has shown the ability to play with the big boys. Another option suggested by TD is move Frolik over to LW and use Chiasson on RW with Backlund freeing up Ferland to play with Bennett and Brouwer. We have a number of players that could play 4th line RW.

I guess I just take some issue with the idea that a player can't develop in the nhl during the season.  It seems like an old fashioned concept that rushing a prospect is bad for their development, with the exception of players with underdeveloped physiques (which Tkachuk does not have).  

1 minute ago, ABC923 said:

I guess I just take some issue with the idea that a player can't develop in the nhl during the season.  It seems like an old fashioned concept that rushing a prospect is bad for their development, with the exception of players with underdeveloped physiques (which Tkachuk does not have).  

I have said it before, but we need to see how the first 9 games look as a whole before we can make an adequate assessment of his play.  One NHL game, where he looked NHL level does not tell me much.  He's a guy that should put up points.  If the line does that with him contributing, then that should be factored into it.  Scoring at the NHL level is a good indication of readiness.  McDavid was able to do it in his first year.  His development did not suffer one bit.  His injury could have happened in the All Star game.  In junior, he broke his hand mixing it up with another player.

6 hours ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

The slew foot didn't look totally intentional as both players were fighting one another for positioning and legs got caught up causing Davidson to fall awkwardly.  There was no penalty on the play and the league is not looking into it further.  I don't think it classifies as a true dirty play and the Oilers fans are just over reacting.

2 hours ago, ABC923 said:

Granted it is a fine line, I just see situations on the ice he doesn't seem ready to handle and he hasn't come up against some of the best yet. He could stay here all year and likely do ok but he will be learning from the school of hard knocks with his style. The very reason I think a return to Junior helps him come back more mature, bigger and stronger which will allow him to play his style effectively against anyone.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

The slew foot didn't look totally intentional as both players were fighting one another for positioning and legs got caught up causing Davidson to fall awkwardly.  There was no penalty on the play and the league is not looking into it further.  I don't think it classifies as a true dirty play and the Oilers fans are just over reacting.

Let them over react, it is what makes the rivalry a great one. LOL

Again every yr this forum says the same thing about the 1st over all rookie or when JH showed up on the seen I don't understand why it is the same always wanting to send the kids back . Get over it Chuky is here to stay he played as good as any other player last game and played harder than some he is a ligit NHLer and is here to stay just like Bennett Mono and JH. I was impressed with his play and had not wides puck not hit a stick before Chuky he would have had a goal take that. 

I think if a young player earns a spot, he should stay. Is always earned still our mantra? In my opinion, he has earned his spot and if he continues to play well he should keep it.

The line with Bennett and Brower was looking very good in the 1st last night. They will be an effective line and his skill set is a perfect match there.  Ferland would be the other choice there, but I think Tkachuk has looked much better so far.

Last night a couple Oilers tried to take runs at him and he stayed on his feet while they were on their butts. He's clearly physically able to play. He also made a couple great passes from in tight and showed some skill too. His skating is clearly the weak point right now. Not bad but not great. However, against the Oil they all looked slow and we can't send everyone back to junior for a skating tuneup.

If he continues to play this way for the nine game stint, I think we need him here. 

so far my vote hasn't changed, Tkachuk should be in junior. While he can physically handle the pro game I still think he is a step behind and the pro game is just a bit ahead of where he is. I think what's best for him is junior but no doubt in my mind he is going to be a player. 

Archived