What Is Best For Matthew Tkachuk

Sirwilliam89

2 minutes ago, Flyerfan52 said:

I saw Freedman (1 of the very few talking heads who's opinion I actually respect to a degree) saying he figures a fine would be more that enough. He also opined that that little tap was no more harmful that squirting water from the bench. Both childish moves but certainly not suspension worthy.

I would agree with this, a stern warning and fine would be enough.  But this did happen in the center of the sporting universe, and against their team, that doesn't help Tkachuk's case.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, Heartbreaker said:

I pretty much agree with this sentiment. A spear is a spear - but this wasn't violent by any stretch. I think this was more Matthew saying, "Get the hell out of here!" and pushing him away. It's bush, and it'll have to be dealt with. 

Unless it's Crosby spearing a player in the yi-yis? Skating behind a player down on the ice fighting his teammate was the most obvious but Sidney seems to always aim for that area,

I wonder if there is some part of his psyche that causes him to target an area that he feels nature/genes short changed him in.

31 minutes ago, Flyerfan52 said:

I saw Freedman (1 of the very few talking heads who's opinion I actually respect to a degree) saying he figures a fine would be more that enough. He also opined that that little tap was no more harmful that squirting water from the bench. Both childish moves but certainly not suspension worthy.

A fine I can understand, but not a suspension...   I also saw the after game interview with Martin saying he didn't even feel it...   He also said he supposed if you were going to do something like that you might as well make it count"...   I got the feeling he thought the media was making a mountain out of a molehill as well...

Minor dumb move penalized by a one game suspension.

My only concern is that it's now his second offence, and he may well get hammered by the league on the third strike (and you know that there will be another strike some day).

That said, I still do not want him to change his style of play much.

He is a great pest, a little like Ville Nieminen in the 2004 play-offs.

9 hours ago, 420since1974 said:

Minor dumb move penalized by a one game suspension.

My only concern is that it's now his second offence, and he may well get hammered by the league on the third strike (and you know that there will be another strike some day).

That said, I still do not want him to change his style of play much.

He is a great pest, a little like Ville Nieminen in the 2004 play-offs.

Style of play is one thing, immature unnecessary cheap shots are not.

20 hours ago, The_People1 said:

NHL is a joke. 

Spear away... From the bench even.

I actually agree with you. I thought that Tkachuk deserved a game or so given the existing system of punishment. They could do away with all of this garbage if they really wanted to. They don't really want to.

16 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Not really. Neither offense was really spearing.

Reviewing such namby-pamby stuff is a joke though.

If it happened in San Jose or Arizona, do you even think they would have looked at it?  Something happens prime time in Toronto is reviewed more times than the Zapruder film.

Here's the inequity of it.  Crosby spears a guy in the junk and gets nothing.  Tkachuk gets games for being a jerk. 

13 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

If it happened in San Jose or Arizona, do you even think they would have looked at it?  Something happens prime time in Toronto is reviewed more times than the Zapruder film.

Here's the inequity of it.  Crosby spears a guy in the junk and gets nothing.  Tkachuk gets games for being a jerk. 

Yes, or Crosby hacks a guy’s finger tip right off... at least it was just a game.

16 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhls-department-player-safety-meet-flames-tkachuk/

I guess the league isn;t done with another Flames player.  Special case for specials players I guess.

They talked about it on last nights game that the league was going to meet with him. Maybe coach him on what is acceptable?

On 12/9/2017 at 11:11 AM, travel_dude said:

In SJ, Arizona & 28 other cities it wouldn't have been noticed let alone called. Extra points for the Zapruder film. It sounded familiar but even this golden oldie had to google it. I imagine everyone else will to get the correlation. Well played!

& yes, Crosby moved on from crying (to a degree) to targeting an area where he feels short changed (as I mention in a different post).

21 hours ago, robrob74 said:

They talked about it on last nights game that the league was going to meet with him. Maybe coach him on what is acceptable?

Let's hope it is the encouragement talk that Tkachuk has the opportunity to be a well recognized player in the NHL so make for all the right things.

His antics so far have been on the Bush League side so I hope he takes it to heart.

• 2 months later...

I was listening to the Fan this afternoon.  The hosts were talking about an “internal cap” on the Flames that would prevent anyone from earning more than $6.75MM/year because that is what Gaudreau and Giordano earn.  

The radio guys were also saying that the Flames should extend Tkachuk’s contract now because if the Flames wait until next summer it could cost more to sign him (assuming Tkachuk has an even better season next year).  The radio guys were suggesting an 8 year/$48MM contract

I struggle with this logic.  In a year or two, Tkachuk may/will be more valuable to the team than Giordano.  Therefore, one can easily argue that Tkachuk should earn more money.  

Tkachuk will probably never put up as many points as Gaudreau, but Tkachuk could easily score more goals than Gaudreau going forward.  Tkachuk is better defensively than Gaudreau.  Tkachuk has WAY more grit than Gaudreau and is much more willing to get his hands dirty. 

There is a good chance Tkachuk could wear the “C” when Giordano retires or is traded.  Gaudreau will probably never wear a letter.  

If I was Tkachuk’s agent I would be asking for more.  Giordano and Gaudreau have been making $6.75 MM/year for several years.  Inflation makes $6.75MM worth less in 2019/20 than in 2016.  

I am am cherry picking, but Draisatl makes $8.5 MM/year.  Is he any better than Tkachuk?

1 hour ago, stubblejumper1 said:

I was listening to the Fan this afternoon.  The hosts were talking about an “internal cap” on the Flames that would prevent anyone from earning more than $6.75MM/year because that is what Gaudreau and Giordano earn.  

The radio guys were also saying that the Flames should extend Tkachuk’s contract now because if the Flames wait until next summer it could cost more to sign him (assuming Tkachuk has an even better season next year).  The radio guys were suggesting an 8 year/$48MM contract

I struggle with this logic.  In a year or two, Tkachuk may/will be more valuable to the team than Giordano.  Therefore, one can easily argue that Tkachuk should earn more money.  

Tkachuk will probably never put up as many points as Gaudreau, but Tkachuk could easily score more goals than Gaudreau going forward.  Tkachuk is better defensively than Gaudreau.  Tkachuk has WAY more grit than Gaudreau and is much more willing to get his hands dirty. 

There is a good chance Tkachuk could wear the “C” when Giordano retires or is traded.  Gaudreau will probably never wear a letter.  

If I was Tkachuk’s agent I would be asking for more.  Giordano and Gaudreau have been making $6.75 MM/year for several years.  Inflation makes $6.75MM worth less in 2019/20 than in 2016.  

I am am cherry picking, but Draisatl makes $8.5 MM/year.  Is he any better than Tkachuk?

I was listening too. I was thinking how the Fan960 was promoting exactly what we criticized Edmonton for. Signing their stars in advance long term to save a bit of money.

It was not too long ago that they were ridiculing the Oilers for doing this exact thing with their early #1 picks.. RNH, Eberle, Hall.

7 hours ago, DirtyDeeds said:

I was listening too. I was thinking how the Fan960 was promoting exactly what we criticized Edmonton for. Signing their stars in advance long term to save a bit of money.

It was not too long ago that they were ridiculing the Oilers for doing this exact thing with their early #1 picks.. RNH, Eberle, Hall.

Draisaitl is far more of an issue for the Oilers.  One good playoff and a good year playing mostly RW to McJezzub.  That $8.5m combined with McJezzub's deal will put them in the red trying to fill up the team.  No chance to sign a really good D-man.  Talbot is playing like an overplayed, overpaid backup.  Russell overpaid.  Nurse needs to re-sign.

Anyway, Tkachuk can't re-sign until July 1st.  I'm sure it will happen this summer while BT is figuring out the assets and liabilities.  The term will be set up so that it aligns with the other big player deals.  Or should I say, the contract will end in a year where he doesn;t have to re-up the other big contracts. 

7 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Anyway, Tkachuk can't re-sign until July 1st.  I'm sure it will happen this summer while BT is figuring out the assets and liabilities.  The term will be set up so that it aligns with the other big player deals.  Or should I say, the contract will end in a year where he doesn;t have to re-up the other big contracts. 

I agree that Treliving will attempt the term alignment that you are suggesting.

From what I see on Cap Friendly, there are "big" contracts to be re-upped every season until 2024/2025.

So, I'm thinking that Tkachuk's term should be for at least 5 years.

1 hour ago, 420since1974 said:

I agree that Treliving will attempt the term alignment that you are suggesting.

From what I see on Cap Friendly, there are "big" contracts to be re-upped every season until 2024/2025.

So, I'm thinking that Tkachuk's term should be for at least 5 years.

He's so young, so you do need to buy any UFA years you can manage.  

As the cap and salaries go up, the deals around $6.75m look better if the player is a difference maker.

Im of the belief when you feel you have a core player and are in a cap system you lock that player up for as long as you possible can. The Flames would be wise to get Tkachuk on the longest deal they could get at the most reasonable cap number they can. In a few years flames fans will be discussing how they much they wished gaudreau and Monahan had extra years on their deals. 

I highly doubt Tkachuk and his agent will be willing to talk this summer, but when you can go as long as you can. 

Archived