Glen Gulutzan-16th Flames Coach

phoenix66

3 hours ago, The_People1 said:

This gave me a chuckle from the Press Conference ..

"McLellan also congratulated Gulutzan for the work he did with his teams in the neutral zone and his ability to get his teams to play to their strengths."

Wonder if we can trade Brouwer to them?  haha

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

"McLellan also congratulated Gulutzan for the work he did with his teams in the neutral zone and his ability to get his teams to play to their strengths."

No kidding.  The Oilers can have GG's pets.  Brouwer and Lazar.  Just give us a 3rd round pick, thanks.

4 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Wow, that's quite a statement.

On 5/25/2018 at 5:40 PM, conundrumed said:

look at us, calling bs, lol.

I'm in.

Im hoping I'm not the only one who finds Humor in GG being pegged to run the Edm Powerplay ?

I'm guessing a Lot of Lucic and Russell on the top unit .. while Klefbom and his shot sit on the Bench??

15 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Im hoping I'm not the only one who finds Humor in GG being pegged to run the Edm Powerplay ?

I'm guessing a Lot of Lucic and Russell on the top unit .. while Klefbom and his shot sit on the Bench??

If they used the same PP setup we had, McDavid would pass to Sekera or Klefbom for the delayed shot from the point.  

That would neuter it pretty quickly.  

1 minute ago, travel_dude said:

If they used the same PP setup we had, McDavid would pass to Sekera or Klefbom for the delayed shot from the point.  

That would neuter it pretty quickly.  

lol.. yup

and just saw this comment from a poster on the Oilers Boards 

"'I'm saying it. The (old) PP sucked. Standing in the same place, no player movement. It sucked. Period. I'm glad the assts are gone and, sadly I'm concerned about TM too. "

all I can think when I saw that was .... "bad news boys.. it's not going to change "

We need to check ourselves though. Some reports out of Carolina suggest that we just made a lateral move.

BP isn't an adaptable coach, just keeps waiting on the same things.

Sound familiar?

And if I can appeal to the primitive classes, I'M not saying it. It's was suggested out of Carolina.

1 minute ago, conundrumed said:

We need to check ourselves though. Some reports out of Carolina suggest that we just made a lateral move.

Sound familiar?

And if I can appeal to the primitive classes, I'M not saying it. It's was suggested out of Carolina.

oh absolutely .. in many ways I think it is lateral. The style that was being preached  etc.. I firmly believe 2 years ago , he (BT) hired the next best thing to BP he could get . and when it wasn't working .. he went and got the real thing 

I read those same things too.. but what I was seeing said different .. rookies on the top line and powerplay  etc.

I DO believe that he will hold players accountable ..he doesn't care if youre Johnny or Lazar.. if you aren't pulling your weight he will replace you in situations with someone who is . that can create optics to people not aware of the internal 

New interview in the Sun today .. they asked how you motivate " stars":.. he went straight to the point of saying Stars want to be on the ice .. in every situation .. that tells me hes not afraid to use ice time as a weapon .. this is a good thing I feel if GG had done , he'd still be here 

What I'm shaking my head and Facepalming at , is  GG was a PK / defense guy in Vancouver ..    he's good and smart at a lot of things ,   but he oversaw one of the worst PP's in the league .. and whether he had a voice in it, or did nothing when Cameron was messing it up , the Oilers pick that to put him charge of ..  much like how he hired Cameron to run it here when he came off a bad PP in Ottawa.. its a condemnation of the Oilers thought process , not GG himself 

14 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Sound familiar?

Every team that's had a coach miss the playoffs probably says the same thing when someone hires their ex.  How many here are laughing at the Oilers for hiring Gully as an assistant coach?  More than one or two.

Maybe BP is another Gully, but it would make sense to give him the benefit of the doubt for now.  I know you aren't jumping on the "bad choice" bandwagon.  I would hope that whatever A/coaches we hire have the ability to recognize in-game things that need to change.  Like on the PP.  Saying that, I hope we don't get force fed Brouwer in the top 6 (or 9) waiting for something to develop.  

5 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Every team that's had a coach miss the playoffs probably says the same thing when someone hires their ex.  How many here are laughing at the Oilers for hiring Gully as an assistant coach?  More than one or two.

Maybe BP is another Gully, but it would make sense to give him the benefit of the doubt for now.  I know you aren't jumping on the "bad choice" bandwagon.

I would hope that whatever A/coaches we hire have the ability to recognize in-game things that need to change.  Like on the PP.  Saying that, I hope we don't get force fed Brouwer in the top 6 (or 9) waiting for something to develop.  

Again, don't shoot the messenger.

We all hope for the best.

This issue was well-discussed off the hop, but seems to have fallen off of a cliff.

Just bringing it up again to make sure that it actually goes away??!!??

6 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Again, don't shoot the messenger.

We all hope for the best.

This issue was well-discussed off the hop, but seems to have fallen off of a cliff.

Just bringing it up again to make sure that it actually goes away??!!??

I know it's not you.  

I have this feeling that the Flames will fire Gully and hire someone that BT has had discussions with.

Gully and crew were to blame for the Flames missing the playoffs.

:)

• 1 month later...

The comparisons will be interesting between the GG and BP eras. Is it fair to compare?... BP has a better roster to ice that offers much more versatility and options for his staff. What could GG have achieved with this same roster? I guess it makes the fact we made the playoffs even once under him all the more impressive. The BoA just has started an all new chapter!

3 hours ago, rickross said:

The comparisons will be interesting between the GG and BP eras. Is it fair to compare?... BP has a better roster to ice that offers much more versatility and options for his staff. What could GG have achieved with this same roster? I guess it makes the fact we made the playoffs even once under him all the more impressive. The BoA just has started an all new chapter!

You have to compare. We compared BH to GG so GG needs a comparison as well. 

Hartley didn’t have what GG had and made the playoffs. GG didn’t have what BP and made the playoffs. 

One thing Hartley did for fans is he played an exciting brand of hockey full of high risks and high rewards. 

GG played a brand of conservative Hockey that focuses on possession, but their was less risk and high rewards were compromised. Offence dropped but the D didn’t fully completely defend. To me it seemed robotic and didn’t allow players to use their ability to their fullest. Gaudreau could be the only one who fully created to his ability last year (creativity). Monahan helps, but feeds off of Gaudreau.

Now what will BP bring? 

22 hours ago, rickross said:

The quality of players on our rosters did not stop us from comparing BH to GG. Obviously BH had the lesser players to work with and did at least as well and better during his tenure. 

Personally I could care less what GG would be able to do with this roster. He did not do that well with the last one.

Is your BOA comment because the Oilers seem to have done nothing much of note?

7 hours ago, DirtyDeeds said:

The quality of players on our rosters did not stop us from comparing BH to GG. Obviously BH had the lesser players to work with and did at least as well and better during his tenure. 

Personally I could care less what GG would be able to do with this roster. He did not do that well with the last one.

Is your BOA comment because the Oilers seem to have done nothing much of note?

Indeed it is, the BoA has already reshapeditself this off season....namely with the Flames revamping their roster with all the new additions. 

The coaches will be compared no question about that, what's interesting is how BP will be viewed when it's all said and done. With GG now being an Oiler, the comparisons will go under the microscope. If BP falters with this lineup, does BT get one more shot at picking coach or is this our GMs last kick at the can?

• 5 months later...

You have to wonder how GG feels seeing his former team performing so well under a different coach. Imagine if BT waited this season out to fire GG, what a waste that would've been. We were never going to achieve much of anything under GG. This teams play has been night and day under BP. Remember not being able to score 1st? Now we can't stop scoring. Our PP wasn't even an advantage under GG, had little to no impact at the time. Or Smith having to stop 40 shots on net every night just to keep us in the game. The list goes on. I'll give GG credit for 1 thing and that's breaking the Honda Center curse in Anaheim. Other than that, he wasted 2 seasons with this team. 

On ‎2018‎-‎07‎-‎06 at 2:39 PM, rickross said:

Who ?

2 hours ago, MAC331 said:

Who ?

You don't remember Glen Gulutzan? He was emotionless behind the bench, he once credited a seasonal turn around on a tub of beer on a train. His systems were ineffective, good possession numbers with a team that would essentially miss the net on the vast majority of shot attempts. Under his watch, he rendered a D corps of "elite" defenceman into an average group of defenders. He was a "good communicator" who threw his stick in the stands in an attempt to get a response from his team. They responded by missing the playoffs altogether. Who? Glen Gulutzan, that is who! :D

3 minutes ago, rickross said:

You don't remember Glen Gulutzan? He was emotionless behind the bench, he once credited a seasonal turn around on a tub of beer on a train. His systems were ineffective, good possession numbers with a team that would essentially miss the net on the vast majority of shot attempts. Under his watch, he rendered a D corps of "elite" defenceman into an average group of defenders. He was a "good communicator" who threw his stick in the stands in an attempt to get a response from his team. They responded by missing the playoffs altogether. Who? Glen Gulutzan, that is who! :D

Rearview mirror stuff we should all forget 

1 minute ago, rickross said:

He was hired by his buddy in EDM.

Now that TM is gone, does Hitch even consider his work with the team usefull?  

The PP improved this year, but then again McDavid is scoring at a much higher rate.

PK is nothing special.

Usage of some players is strange.

Looch in the last minutes of a game where they are chasing.

Puljujarvi given top 6 minutes while not even producing.

Good riddance.

1 hour ago, rickross said:

Haha,

i also think that he meant: who (what players??)

i het we are deeper. The 4th line is a hint better, but we really only got rid of stajan and replaced him with a similar player who can keep up, but maybe scores at the same rate. Other than that the 4th line is relatively the same.

the biggest change is having Lindholm. He helps drive the 1st line deeper. Tkachuk has been scoring in spite of an underperforming 2nd line. The only difference on the 3rd is Neal and he’s not doing anything either. 

The team ram is still a work in progress. I like it, but we can’t talk contenders until lines 2-4 are finally figured out. I am sure it’ll happen. 

Lindolm snd Hanifin are the noticeable changes. 

Before annointing BP the saviour and GG the worst coach we’ve ever had.  Look at the record and stats before November _15th.  And then look at what GG did during February and March of 2017, when Michael Stone was viewed as an upgrade to the d core, quite similar in record.

I’m not saying optimism is a bad thing now, there are still question marks on the sustainability of this team I believe and secondary scoring to me is still an issue and if we suffer injuries to 2 of our top 4 forwards like we did last year I could see similar problems to the last half of last season.

Archived