Glen Gulutzan-16th Flames Coach

phoenix66

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

I agree there may be more coaches become available, shouldn’t matter to a firing though. 

I’m doubtful GG will be fired for the reasons you’ve listed.

I don’t know what BT has in mind for changes overall, but my own senses tell me BT will be gone next year.

This team is a very hard fix right now imho.

Not a lot in FA, not much at F on the farm, no picks. Maybe I’m wrong, hope so.

I sort of feel the same way. Although, if he can use a D to fix one of the forward sports, it buys himself a little bit of time. And we hope a forward can progress from the farm  as well. 

20 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I agree there may be more coaches become available, shouldn’t matter to a firing though. 

I’m doubtful GG will be fired for the reasons you’ve listed.

I don’t know what BT has in mind for changes overall, but my own senses tell me BT will be gone next year.

This team is a very hard fix right now imho.

Not a lot in FA, not much at F on the farm, no picks. Maybe I’m wrong, hope so.

Really ? why do you think this team is a hard fix right now ? I think we are another season and a few good players from becoming a very good team.

From the net out one more season of having Smith will pave the way to our good young goaltending.

Splitting up Brodie and Hamonic could actually benefit this team to bring along our younger defensemen and be the strength we wanted this season.

If we were to play our current players in positions of strength we would be very strong LW and down the middle at C. RW is where some attention needs to be applied IMO.

We haven't had a top line RW since Iginla was traded and we need an real answer for this position. I have every confidence we have a good pool of RWers building for other lines and should be in good shape real soon. I would have loved getting TJ Oshie which didn't happen but now I think BT should persue either Neal or Grabner from Free Agency. Another may be this Mikael Lundquist from the Swedish league and I'm sure there are a few others I have overlooked but a top line RW is our real need IMO.

The more I think about getting a new coach, and who that should be, the more I am not in favour of an older proven coach. One of my biggest complaints with Gulutzan has been player usage, relying on and playing vets who have no business being on the roster let alone on your top PP. If we brought in a Vigneault, Sutter or Tippett, I think we would see more of the same reliance on vets.

As of right now, my top picks for the next head coach are; Bill Peters (assuming he uses his out clause by Friday), Sheldon Keefe and D.J. Smith. Peters has shown a good mind for the game and he isn't shy about putting young talented players in positions to succeed. Keefe has coached the Marlies to 2 54 win seasons in the last 3 years.

Here is a good article about D.J. Smith.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/maple-leafs-grooming-d-j-smith-become-nhl-head-coach/

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

The more I think about getting a new coach, and who that should be, the more I am not in favour of an older proven coach. One of my biggest complaints with Gulutzan has been player usage, relying on and playing vets who have no business being on the roster let alone on your top PP. If we brought in a Vigneault, Sutter or Tippett, I think we would see more of the same reliance on vets.

As of right now, my top picks for the next head coach are; Bill Peters (assuming he uses his out clause by Friday), Sheldon Keefe and D.J. Smith. Peters has shown a good mind for the game and he isn't shy about putting young talented players in positions to succeed. Keefe has coached the Marlies to 2 54 win seasons in the last 3 years.

Here is a good article about D.J. Smith.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/maple-leafs-grooming-d-j-smith-become-nhl-head-coach/

personally i dont think its a coincidence this happened during Peters's window.. i expect a quick decision there :) 

I hope that Gulutzan finds work elsewhere. I like second chances. It would be a positive outcome if he found the time to reflect on his experiences and make the necessary adjustments. That is indicative of excellence IMO. I am sure that he wanted to win and that he believed that he had a winning formula. It just did not work out for whatever reasons. Best wishes to him.

1 minute ago, Cowtownguy said:

I hope that Gulutzan finds work elsewhere. I like second chances. It would be a positive outcome if he found the time to reflect on his experiences and make the necessary adjustments. That is indicative of excellence IMO. I am sure that he wanted to win and that he believed that he had a winning formula. It just did not work out for whatever reasons. Best wishes to him.

But the Flames is his second chance after the Stars... ?

2 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

I expect to see him as an assistant in Columbus next season 

Many will cheer but I think it sucks it didn't work out. I do believe GG is a very smart coach and a good coach but this team and its makeup was the wrong fit unfortunately.  Simply can't swap out the players or half the players so coach has to take the fall, it's what they had to do. 

1 minute ago, cross16 said:

Many will cheer but I think it sucks it didn't work out. I do believe GG is a very smart coach and a good coach but this team and its makeup was the wrong fit unfortunately.  Simply can't swap out the players or half the players so coach has to take the fall, it's what they had to do. 

agree totally .. I expect to see a very emotional PC this afternoon.. like I put earlier , I don't think he had a choice .. to keep him would likely be tying his own job to him next season . Its one thing to make a choice that doesnt work.. another to try and explain why you didnt fix it.

Archived