Glen Gulutzan-16th Flames Coach

phoenix66

3 hours ago, MAC331 said:

I don't get this viewpoint at all. The Flames are not near the point of building that they should be trading what good players they have away. STL must have been confident they could over come the loss of Stastny but I don't see them in playoffs. Failing to recognize where this team is truly at in their own building process is why we see all these negative comments. Expectations have to be real and managing expectations as key failures and injuries occur throughout any season will help you.

Having said this I think with a few corrections this team could be way better next season.

Thats my biggest problem with the year, that key injuries happen. Up until recently the flames were a relatively healthy team and yet they didn’t earn a cushion to be in a better spot than they are. If they started off right, we’d be ahead and starting to fall back with the pack due to those injuries, But at least in a better position. 

Thats why I am q bit pissed about this coaching staff. But maybe you’re right about not having good enough 

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been saying since after season 1 that Gully was not the coach that takes this team to the next level. Nothing has changed this year, same inconsistencies remain and the Flames are likely headed for a REGRESSION this year and Garth Snow couldn't be happier. <_< The Flames owners are going to eat this up...the playoff revenue would have cheered them up some but now it's straight to "We can't be a competitive team without a new arena...so we'll be forced to aggressively pursue other options...in Seattle!" 

I don't feel this team ever found an identity under GG. It's a big part of why they have such a poor home record and play such an inconsistent game.There are enough core pieces here to not have to blow it all up but the team needs a new identity moving forward. 

3 minutes ago, rickross said:

I've been saying since after season 1 that Gully was not the coach that takes this team to the next level. Nothing has changed this year, same inconsistencies remain and the Flames are likely headed for a REGRESSION this year and Garth Snow couldn't be happier. <_< The Flames owners are going to eat this up...the playoff revenue would have cheered them up some but now it's straight to "We can't be a competitive team without a new arena...so we'll be forced to aggressively pursue other options...in Seattle!" 

I don't feel this team ever found an identity under GG. It's a big part of why they have such a poor home record and play such an inconsistent game.There are enough core pieces here to not have to blow it all up but the team needs a new identity moving forward. 

Do we place too much stock in identity? I guess if they kept the earned/worker mantra that would be an identity.

but for me??just come to play! Be ready from puck drop and demand that. 

The more I give this the hairy eyeball, the less I like BT. He has no solutions at forward and I'm doubting he can find them at this point.

Sure he can sign Smith and Elliott, Hamonic, Hamilton and Stone on the backend by throwing all of our top picks at it.

Then at forward, everything is a hail mary, Brouwer, Raymond, Versteeg, Glass, Gazdec, Foo, Stewart etc.

Sure he can negotiate contracts, but he sure can't find solutions or read the forward ranks at all.

Where I thought Tampa would have to move Johnson or Palat, that's not true at all. Their cap is fine, and they're likely adding Katchouk and Raddysh on ELC's soon.

We are stuck imho. There aren't many teams in as bad of shape as ours at forward.

Our results are saying he's been very over-rated as a manager.

The forward ranks are so thin and debilitating, he's been an outright failure at making it better.

On 3/15/2018 at 10:47 AM, travel_dude said:

I'm not sure what you base this on.  He regularly calls out player performance in public, and that is all we see.  The stick throwing and 4-letter tirades are in view of the media.  Who knows what he is like in the room or the messages he gives on the bench.  

He does not address the players in the dressing room after a loss. Think about that for a minute....

He said so himself, because he does not want to speak in anger....

That alone tells me he wants to be popular and does not want to hurt any feelings. There can be no other reason 

This coach will never be all we need because he does not want conflicts..

Add to this he gets results when he finally does vent some frustration you think he would learn and adapt?  Nooooooo.

He remains stubborn to a fault keeping LHS and RHS playing on their proper wings. Both D and Wingers have to conform to playing on the side they shoot even if they have played off wing or off side for years(Brodie).

It is easier to accept and make passes and control the boards if you are on your proper wing you see.... (that is the so called theory)

Brodie for example has gone from a Norris consideration Defenseman, to a "lets trade him" player because of 2 changes inflicted on him by this coaching staff.. He no longer plays with Gio and he must play the left side....... 

Same defenseman with different results.

The last 2 coaches were nominated for the Jack Adams Award. Hartley won it.  GG hasn't been nominated.

Hopefully the Flames are keeping a close eye on if Trotz becomes available but regardless GG doesn't seem to be the right coach for the Flames in the now.

26 minutes ago, DirtyDeeds said:

He does not address the players in the dressing room after a loss. Think about that for a minute....

That alone tells me he wants to be popular and does not want to hurt any feelings. There can be no other reason 

Add to this he gets results when he finally does vent some frustration you think he would learn and adapt?  Nooooooo.

He remains stubborn to a fault keeping LHS and RHS playing on their proper wings. Both D and Wingers have to conform to playing on the side they shoot even if they have played off wing or off side for years(Brodie).

It is easier to accept and make passes and control the boards if you are on your proper wing you see.... (that is the so called theory)

Brodie for example has gone from a Norris consideration Defenseman, to a "lets trade him" player because of 2 changes inflicted on him by this coaching staff.. He no longer plays with Gio and he must play the left side....... 

Also of note is that stick-throwing incident was staged, as media was invited for a Jagr update, so they showed up in full force.

No Jagr update, just this phony bs.

These mellow coach post game pressers after losses. "Well you know..."...

Yeah I know. Good coaches show emotion. You don't. You're the smartest hockey guy in the room so don't get excited.

Go away. Every sport has a lot to do with emotion.

The only that you show is staged.

2 hours ago, DirtyDeeds said:

I don;t know if he even meets during the game.  Some say he does.  I watched a Ducks game where they showed the dressing room and RC was giving a rally talk just before the period started.  They were losing at the time.  

Yes, the results with Brodie have been so much of a letdown.  Is there an way out of it without trading Brodie now?  Put him back with Gio.  Leaves us with two RHS on the next pairing.  Fine or maybe not fine.  Who knows as we never ever see any deviation from the pairs chosen at the start of the year.  All we know is that Gio shuts down players and Hamilton scores, unless he gets beat to the outside.  Stone is what he is and should not be ahead of Andersson or even Wotherspoon.  

I don;t know the thought process of thinking Bart was a good player, playing Glass when we need a win, or playing Stewart on the top line.  Many games of Brouwer ineptitude and we hear about how Brouwer is always in the right spot.  How much of a leader he is.  He shows up every once in awhile yet suits up for every game.  Too much reliance on Smith and he gets injured.  May have happened anyway, but you have to consider that a goalie his age should have his number of starts better managed, especially when Rittich was showing he was capable of playing more than once every 7 or 8 games.  

In regards to those who think we should concede the season and bring up young kids from the farm for experience, you know what's going to happen. These kids will be given a taste of the NHL on our 4th line and, we would ironically WIN out the season.  Our biggest problem (and there were many but our biggest) was a lack of impact and production from our bottom 6.

I wish we admitted we wouldn't make the playoffs since Christmas and play the kids from the farm because we'd be going to the playoffs in a few weeks.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

In regards to those who think we should concede the season and bring up young kids from the farm for experience, you know what's going to happen. These kids will be given a taste of the NHL on our 4th line and, we would ironically WIN out the season.  Our biggest problem (and there were many but our biggest) was a lack of impact and production from our bottom 6.

I wish we admitted we wouldn't make the playoffs since Christmas and play the kids from the farm because we'd be going to the playoffs in a few weeks.

I disagree. We pretty much already brought up those prospects who are NHL close to being ready.

As for giving them a taste on 4th line do you really think a few minutes with Matt Stajan and Troy Brouwer would make them winning prospects?

14 hours ago, DirtyDeeds said:

I disagree. We pretty much already brought up those prospects who are NHL close to being ready.

As for giving them a taste on 4th line do you really think a few minutes with Matt Stajan and Troy Brouwer would make them winning prospects?

The only way it could have worked would have been to sit Stajan, Brouwer, Lazar, Hathaway, Stone and Brodie/Kulak.  An energy line is just that, if you don;t have an anchor tied to your feet.  

I think we should only replace GG if we are getting a TRUE upgrade behind the bench.

No assistant coach from another club who is supposed to be "the next big thing" that's what we heard about GG.

We need a proven coach with a history of success. Trotz and Quenneville come to mind. However, this is an ownership issue as much as it is on BT. I suspect we are paying GG around 1mill. Q is making 6 with CHI and won't come cheap, Trotz would be highly sought after on the open market too. Ownership needs to open their wallets if they want a true upgrade behind the bench

https://www.capfriendly.com/coaches

27 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I think we should only replace GG if we are getting a TRUE upgrade behind the bench.

Word is that the powers that be are considering conundrumed's cat as a replacement for Gully...   But hey, at least it's an upgrade...

55 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

No assistant coach from another club who is supposed to be "the next big thing" that's what we heard about GG.

We need a proven coach with a history of success. Trotz and Quenneville come to mind. However, this is an ownership issue as much as it is on BT. I suspect we are paying GG around 1mill. Q is making 6 with CHI and won't come cheap, Trotz would be highly sought after on the open market too. Ownership needs to open their wallets if they want a true upgrade behind the bench

https://www.capfriendly.com/coaches

Here is the other problem, coach has to want to be here too. If I'm a coach why is Calgary an attractive dedication? Bad arena,bad facilities, questionable ownership woth a history of snap decisions on coaches, one of the harder travel schedules in the league and a gap between my current roster and my top prospects. 

So yes they would need to open their wallet and probably overpay for someone not who isn't very good. If the flames want a new coach their best bet is going the up and comer route because I think if you don't you are going the re tread route with someone who really isn't that good. 

Not an easy decision. 

22 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Here is the other problem, coach has to want to be here too. If I'm a coach why is Calgary an attractive dedication? Bad arena,bad facilities, questionable ownership woth a history of snap decisions on coaches, one of the harder travel schedules in the league and a gap between my current roster and my top prospects. 

So yes they would need to open their wallet and probably overpay for someone not who isn't very good. If the flames want a new coach their best bet is going the up and comer route because I think if you don't you are going the re tread route with someone who really isn't that good. 

Not an easy decision. 

There's only 31 jobs, so I doubt coaches are really that selective for an NHL gig.

1 minute ago, Carty said:

I'm not sure about Gully's interest level either...   So I'm ok with that...

Well the boy's better get used to him dragging a dead opposum into the room when they aren't performing. Damn do they stink, unbearable.

As for teams with animal logos, he'll just drag carcasses into the room pregame, fur all on end, look at everyone while licking his chops and sleekly walk out.

Unfortunately with the Oilers he'll just drag in a listless McPickles, then we might be in trouble with the league.:lol:

If the refs come to talk to, they'd best make sure he's sitting down, and not strutting back and forth on the board ledge in front of the bench.:ph34r:

Apologies to anyone over-serious, if I don't treat this with humour, it'll be a stream of consciousness filled with scorn.

43 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

There's only 31 jobs, so I doubt coaches are really that selective for an NHL gig.

Only 31 jobs but that also means limited coaches with NHL experience and even a smaller number with experience and success.  That's a small pool so if that's is what people are after prepare to be in competition.  

If you want a different coach there will be tons of options. just a question if they are actually better. 

21 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Well the boy's better get used to him dragging a dead opposum into the room when they aren't performing. Damn do they stink, unbearable.

Already have Brouwer...   Perhaps he and the dead stinky opossum can keep each other company...    Maybe even become roommates for road trips...   

Brouwer might even learn a few things about hockey from the opossum...   So why not?...

52 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Apparently even that isn't enough to attact potential GMs to Carolina. Feidman said the owner is offering 0.4 while the assistants he's targeting won't sign for that.

There are only so many jobs as an NHL player but until desperate late in the season players don't sign on the cheap either.

If the Flames want a top end coach it costs these days. Some teams pay assistants (front office desn't count against the cap) than the cheapo wages some offer.

It comes down to if they want the prestige knowing coaches are hired to be fired while taking a wage cut or keeping the $s, security while knowing they are being groomed in a winning atmosphere. Even Poile will retire some day.

Same with coachs. There are many still getting paid by the team that axed them. Why would they take a pay cut?

Like players you pay to get the good 1s.

45 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Only 31 jobs but that also means limited coaches with NHL experience and even a smaller number with experience and success.  That's a small pool so if that's is what people are after prepare to be in competition.  

If you want a different coach there will be tons of options. just a question if they are actually better. 

I'd ask, better than what? This pasty, shmarmy thing we have now that acts like he's smarter than everyone else, stages his rage episodes?

I recall reading a warning when he was hired, he isn't good at adjusting in-game.

Have we not seen that enough? It was a prophecy from Dallas, it still holds true.

It's not that he can't adjust I'm sure, he's so Hard Fork-sure he just doesn't, is why I say shmarmy.

Can't we just talk about my cat? I don't like me in rage mode if I really go off. I just don't think he's an NHL coach, and never really have. He can be an asst, god knows Cameron can leave right now.

I get some will be in the "anyone is better than Gulutzan camp" and that's fine. I just don't agree. 

Its up for the flames brass to decide but if the flames move on I think the next coach is going to have a similar background to Gulutzan so what's I mean is what is going to make them better? 

FWIW I would make a coaching change only if I could land 1 of 4 names. Bill Peters( if he's let go), DJ Smith, Todd Nelson, or Ralph Kruger (doubtful). If they arnt available or won't come here I wouldn't make a change or I would suspect you'll just wind up with a similar coach who will yield similar results. Especially if the roster isn't upgraded a fair bit. 

16 minutes ago, Flyerfan52 said:

Apparently even that isn't enough to attact potential GMs to Carolina. Feidman said the owner is offering 0.4 while the assistants he's targeting won't sign for that.

There are only so many jobs as an NHL player but until desperate late in the season players don't sign on the cheap either.

If the Flames want a top end coach it costs these days. Some teams pay assistants (front office desn't count against the cap) than the cheapo wages some offer.

It comes down to if they want the prestige knowing coaches are hired to be fired while taking a wage cut or keeping the $s, security while knowing they are being groomed in a winning atmosphere. Even Poile will retire some day.

Same with coachs. There are many still getting paid by the team that axed them. Why would they take a pay cut?

Like players you pay to get the good 1s.

There is that too, I get it. If you're hired to be fired you likely won't see another NHL gig.

I don't know, I never liked this hire, I'm not going to pretend to have answers.

Move Brodie back with Gio, I really don't care what it means to RD, I really don't.

GG has single-handedly ruined Brodie's strengths.

BT has single-handedly ruined our forward hopes and devastated our forward pipeline.

Not sure what else to say, but many say it's the players' fault.

I disagree, but that's neither here nor there.

We are a mess and I have no idea how there is any resolution.

Archived