Glen Gulutzan-16th Flames Coach

phoenix66

45 minutes ago, Flyerfan52 said:

Using the same systems @ both levels does allow for the youth to step in with confidence but you need to have more than 1 set play & allow for using different player combos.

I'll use the example of the Jets yesterday. Since Scheifele got injured Wheeler has moved over to play center with good results.Yesterday Lowry was a pregame decision but couldn't go so Roslovic (who was called up a few days ago, practised with the big team but wasn't immediately added to the lineup) drew in. Sounds ho-hum because putting the kid on the 4th to earn his bones would be the norm. But, Maurice tinkered & put current 1C Wheeler, 4th line Hendricks & the kid on a line part way through the game when the outcome was still iffy. A different look the Sharks had no book on. (Also made the kid feel a real part of the team playing with his captain).

Changing up the look is part of coaching & @ home it's not difficult with last change provided you are watching the flow & talking to your assistants as things happen. Hockey is too fast a game to have a long discussion because if you do the opportunity is gone. Some things have to be done on the fly rather than checking the analitics.

It seems to work as the Jets are 2nd in the league on PP & 12th on PK.

I don't think knowing the systems will hurt either but I know what you are saying with having some coaching instincts. Perhaps GG is to by the book or methods used these days however he has shown some flexibilities I believe at times. We don't know that he is the type that doesn't listen to his players just because he choses not to go in the dressing room after games to do it. I am by no means saying he is the greatest coach since Punch Imlach either LOL. Management will decide if he has achieved the goals I'm sure that were set forth. If he isn't the coach going forward so be it.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

I dont disagree but have we not played better since these 3 have been gone? The pp blows and you can not tell me Verstig is the reason it does. That is 100 % the coaches

I think we have played better but yes the PP still blows and it wasn't that great with Versteeg.

On 1/11/2018 at 0:34 PM, redfire11 said:

Was it just me or did anyone else see GG actually try and control and match lines against Minny. Twice I saw him go Mony line then Janko line then back to Mony line catching their 4th line against our best line. Maybe he is evolving I hope so.

really hoping that he is evolving.

ever since the stick throwing publicity gimic he has been more involved on the bench (into the game) and has actually been "attempting" to line match and shift things.

still not a fan of his, but looks like he got a warning that brass not happy, and is now out to save his job.

question is why was not out to go for the top until his job was at stake.

still many questionable decisions, but not blatantly sabotaging the team as he was for first 3 months of season.

not liking that seems to be theme where takes first 50% of season to find what "somewhat" works.  Then try to play catchup.

doesnt work in games very often, nor does it in standings.

I am interested in whether GG is keeping his job after this year. If we don't make the playoffs, I would assume that he is gone. If we get into the playoffs, and do poorly, then what happens to him? He might be breathing a little easier right now. I just wonder if he is heading to Europe if the run ends sooner than later. If people recall, Burke told Flames ownership that Feaster's 5 year rebuild was way too long and that a winner could be built far faster. At this point, it is sounding like Sutter promises. Give me complete control without interference, and I will produce a winner. It was obvious that he was done when he made the Phaneuf trade.

17 hours ago, Cowtownguy said:

I am interested in whether GG is keeping his job after this year. If we don't make the playoffs, I would assume that he is gone. If we get into the playoffs, and do poorly, then what happens to him? He might be breathing a little easier right now. I just wonder if he is heading to Europe if the run ends sooner than later. If people recall, Burke told Flames ownership that Feaster's 5 year rebuild was way too long and that a winner could be built far faster. At this point, it is sounding like Sutter promises. Give me complete control without interference, and I will produce a winner. It was obvious that he was done when he made the Phaneuf trade.

We shall see how the team does the rest of the year.  Gully is doing some things that are bringing positive results, as well as engaging the farm kids.  That helps.  If he only ever used the vets, he would be looking into the abyss.  BT is making sure that Gully has good options to choose from.

If we make the playoffs, Gully keeps his job.  If we don't go far, the A/coaches will be sent packing, since they are only still here because we have a winning record.  The PP is still a mess.  The PK is better.  Those special teams will define our post season, so the coaches that design they will be on the hook for them.  

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

We shall see how the team does the rest of the year.  Gully is doing some things that are bringing positive results, as well as engaging the farm kids.  That helps.  If he only ever used the vets, he would be looking into the abyss.  BT is making sure that Gully has good options to choose from.

If we make the playoffs, Gully keeps his job.  If we don't go far, the A/coaches will be sent packing, since they are only still here because we have a winning record.  The PP is still a mess.  The PK is better.  Those special teams will define our post season, so the coaches that design they will be on the hook for them.  

good options to choose from like Bartkowski, Lazar and Brouwer?

37 minutes ago, DirtyDeeds said:

good options to choose from like Bartkowski, Lazar and Brouwer?

Ya, I know.  I was hoping to remove that from the equation.  Doesn;t have a lot of choice with the other two.  Would need to have waived Lazar early in the season.

The positives are that Janko is full time.  Rittich is in over Lack.  Mangiapane is getting a chance.  Freddie was waived.  Glass isn;t here.

I say a lot of nasty things about Brouwer, and I said a lot of nasty things about Wideman. I think the problem is that talented players who underperform are incredibly frustrating. If it is a matter of hidden injuries that impede their play, then I get it. Take the money to compensate for the damage done to your body. If that is the case, then move out of the position. There are so many opportunities today that a person can positively impact society without being a leech.

Why was Brouwer taking a draw:

1.  in the Flames end?

2.  with 5 seconds left in a Buffalo 4 on 3 powerplay?

3.  in overtime?  

4.  with the Flames in a playoff race?

5.  after Buffalo cleanly won every draw (against Brouwer) in OT?

6.  after Brouwer had been on the ice for 90 seconds killing a penalty?

Obviously screaming at my tv prior to the draw didn’t help get Brouwer off the ice.  

That may be the worst coaching decision of the season.  

AND 0 accountability after the fact. (in the presser after the game)

There was a bunch of stoppages, i looked at the guys and the were alright, etc

seriously, i know you do not want to come out and say : do not know what i am doing

BUT come on, a little accountability towards not changing the 3 on ice would have been nice.

Hell i would have taken a : they did great job, wanted to let them finish what they started

My biggest concern is that they were out there for 1.5min 4v3, even if had held them off to get backland back into the play. 4v4 with 3 dead tired players, how expect to gain possession, would have been hemmed in until next stoppage regardless

I understand the Flames just came off a good win streak, but listening to Gulutzen the other day, he mentioned that he was happy with getting to overtime as those points matter. Just the way he said it makes it sound like getting to OT is enough. I quickly did the math and 30 points only gets us to  85. His math doesn’t add up. I get he knows we will get some wins, but we are going to get some losses as well.

I think they gotta just not allow him to speak to media? He’s digging his own hole.

12 hours ago, stubblejumper1 said:

Why was Brouwer taking a draw:

1.  in the Flames end?

2.  with 5 seconds left in a Buffalo 4 on 3 powerplay?

3.  in overtime?  

4.  with the Flames in a playoff race?

5.  after Buffalo cleanly won every draw (against Brouwer) in OT?

6.  after Brouwer had been on the ice for 90 seconds killing a penalty?

Obviously screaming at my tv prior to the draw didn’t help get Brouwer off the ice.  

That may be the worst coaching decision of the season.  

I agree completely that it was the worst coaching decision made this season, and that's really saying something.

This team will get nowhere with this coaching staff. Just when you think they've turned a corner, GG makes a boneheaded decision that 99% of the fans (most of whom have no coaching experience) wouldn't have done. I can't even comprehend why there were 3 capable centers on the bench at such a crucial time in the game, yet GG still keeps out a tired PK unit with Brouwer lining up against the center with the best FO% in the league. It's totally astounding.

2 hours ago, JustAFlamer said:

AND 0 accountability after the fact. (in the presser after the game)

There was a bunch of stoppages, i looked at the guys and the were alright, etc

seriously, i know you do not want to come out and say : do not know what i am doing

BUT come on, a little accountability towards not changing the 3 on ice would have been nice.

Hell i would have taken a : they did great job, wanted to let them finish what they started

My biggest concern is that they were out there for 1.5min 4v3, even if had held them off to get backland back into the play. 4v4 with 3 dead tired players, how expect to gain possession, would have been hemmed in until next stoppage regardless

I would have more respect for someone who actually takes responsibility for their actions and admits their poor judgment instead of displacing the blame. Every damn athlete will tell their coach they're fine unless they are pulled off a stretcher, realizing the situation at hand and making adjustments is completely on the coach. This team is so frustrating to watch at times. Beat the best team in the league in their own barn, and then lose to the worst team in our barn all within a couple of weeks. If yesterday's game was a tough pill to swallow, imagine the feeling when these decisions are costing us wins in the playoffs.

Truly mind boggling.  A list of better centers include: Monahan, Stajan, Jankowski, Bennett, Ferland, Tkachuk.  All these players not only have better face off %, (although Tkachuk has only taken 9 draws all season).  The only possible justification is that GG wanted Brouwer to reunite with Backs after the penalty ended, but that's pretty poor reasoning.

Just adding to this as well.  Troy Brouwer is not a good penalty killer.  He looks okay out there most of the time, but the results are poor.  The three worst penalty killers (in terms of GA/60) are Hamilton (13.1), Brouwer (11.8), and Stajan (10.8).  Hamilton only averages about 30 seconds per game on the PK, while Brouwer averages over 2 minutes.  Stajan averages about 1:39.  

Better PK options at forward than Brouwer and Stajan? Bennett (6.6 GA/60), Jankowski (1.8 GA/60), and Hathaway (0.0 GA/60).  Those three players are seeing more PK time, but they still average under a minute per game on the PK, or less than half of Brouwers ice time.  They are all younger and faster, allowing them to apply more pressure to other teams PP while being able to recover if they fall out of position.  The results suggest that after Backlund and Frolik, some combination of Hathaway, Bennett and Jankowski should be our second PK unit, with Brouwer and Stajan being only a third option.

BTW, our best defenseman on the PK? TJ Brodie, with a 5.4 GA/60 while averaging over 2 minutes on the PK per night. 

So listened to the presser with Gully. He was asked about identity of the club, he has no clue. He has some concepts but really what are we? Fast, Physical, skilled, structural sound, no clue! Its a surprise every night, each game is different What is consistent is the inadequate power play, the lack of effort on given nights. We should be in a playoff spot with the club we have, we actually should be one of the top teams in the league. I still stand by that we are 2 players shy of being very good.

Now rumor has it Queinville in CHI is on the hot seat. Would you release Gully to replace with him?

4 hours ago, tmac70 said:

So listened to the presser with Gully. He was asked about identity of the club, he has no clue. He has some concepts but really what are we? Fast, Physical, skilled, structural sound, no clue! Its a surprise every night, each game is different What is consistent is the inadequate power play, the lack of effort on given nights. We should be in a playoff spot with the club we have, we actually should be one of the top teams in the league. I still stand by that we are 2 players shy of being very good.

Now rumor has it Queinville in CHI is on the hot seat. Would you release Gully to replace with him?

I don't think it's players we need that is preventing the identity as much as it the players we have.  We have farm hands that could fill up a decent 4th line, assuming you want to go for a speedy line.  We're using Hathaway on a line with a mucker (Bennett) and a skilled passer.  Hathaway's a mucker/grinder.  We're using Stajan with Brouwer and Lazar (when Frolik is here).  Talk about three different styles of player.  

I also think that the defense is structured slightly wrong.  I get the LHS-RHS thing, but Brodie-Hamonic is not a great match.  Gio-Brodie was a perfect balance of the player style.  Would rather have Stone-Hamilton and Kulak-Hamonic.  Just my view of their complementary styles.

Gully's stubbornness  with repeating things that just aren't working over an ever increasing period of time like the PP and D zone "systems", poor line matchups when he has last change, player usage, etc, are starting to make me think that a good part of his hockey philosophy can be summed up with this...

• Image result for square peg round hle animated gif

7 hours ago, tmac70 said:

Without question.  We can keep a somewhat inexperienced coach who has his team playing below their ability with inconsistent performances, or a cup winning coach with tons of experience in recent years.  Easy choice, but of course there would be no guarantee he would come here.

9 hours ago, tmac70 said:

I think that Q is an excellent coach, so I would do so any and every day. I cannot imagine that they would every get rid of him though. He is too close to the core there. I like the thought though.

20 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

I think that Q is an excellent coach, so I would do so any and every day. I cannot imagine that they would every get rid of him though. He is too close to the core there. I like the thought though.

Hard to say, that team's core has had a good run and is now in a constant state of dismantle. Scotty Bowman moved around, why not Q ?

I will be interested to see how Gully handles the line matchups tonight.

Best on Best?

Backlund vs Kopitar, with Brouwer alowing them down?

Who plays against Pearson-Kempe-Toffoli, one of the better lines in the NHL?

IIRC, last game the Kopitar and Kempe lines made mincemeat out of Backlund's and Stajan's lines.

Depressing thoughts.

#1 - Lazar and Hrivik played only 7 minutes in a game, got a shot each, yet Brouwer played 17 and had none.

#2 - We play the Oilers on the 2nd night of a B2B that went to OT, them fully rested by not even showing up against Buffalo.

#3 - Since Kulak played just 11 minutes, the pattern is set to insert Bart against the Oilers.

Positive spin

We only need to play 30 more game to OT and lose to get the Bettman point, plus get 4 wins in OT to make the playoffs. 

Archived