Glen Gulutzan-16th Flames Coach

phoenix66

12 hours ago, CheersMan said:

Team Canada played a total of 9 games (including preseason) at the World Cup with all new team-mates, new coach, new system.  We play game 11 tomorrow.

Team Canada is also a collection of the best hockey player in the world. This is like saying why can't Ford build as good of cars as Ferrari does. 

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Team Canada is also a collection of the best hockey player in the world. This is like saying why can't Ford build as good of cars as Ferrari does. 

Not to mention the style of play in tournaments like the world cup is a lot more loose.  Not shinny, but not the structure of an NHL team either.

Also, in the world cup all teams are on about the same footing in terms of familiarity with each other and the coaching structure.Canada might have a slight edge there and it showed too.  It was pretty obvious earlier in the season that the Flames were getting used to new players and systems. It was highlighted when playing teams that were more up to speed.

We've got a ways to go, but it's much better now.

On 2016-11-01 at 0:53 PM, CaCaw said:

Not to mention the style of play in tournaments like the world cup is a lot more loose.  Not shinny, but not the structure of an NHL team either.

Also, in the world cup all teams are on about the same footing in terms of familiarity with each other and the coaching structure.Canada might have a slight edge there and it showed too.  It was pretty obvious earlier in the season that the Flames were getting used to new players and systems. It was highlighted when playing teams that were more up to speed.

We've got a ways to go, but it's much better now.

Hope the Flames stick with their upper management through thick and thin. This team needs continuity in a huge way. There's a ton of GMs and Coaches in the US that should of been let go long ago. G Sather in a million years in NY has done nothing except the finals and lost. G Snow has done nothing. Columbus has been a door mat same GM. Anaheim has been disappointing still same GM. If they were in a Canadian market they would of been gone long ago. Flames need continuity to reach their levels.

On 2016-11-01 at 0:21 PM, cross16 said:

Ford beat Ferrari at Le Mans this year.  

It may be like saying "Why can't Yugo build a car as good as Ferrari?"

11 hours ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

Im starting to think we should get BH to come back.

He was so good! GG just sucks.

( sarcasm)

The team is getting there gradually before our eyes. All fans can do is suffer through the growing pains and hopefully enjoy some success later on.

4 hours ago, MAC331 said:

The team is getting there gradually before our eyes. All fans can do is suffer through the growing pains and hopefully enjoy some success later on.

I think there has been a lot of improvement, I'm just surprised how many fans I see calling for GG to be fired. Not on these forums specifically, it just blows my mind how many people expected the flames to start the race in front after our preseason and new coaching. 

The flames are so much better under GG and I personally love the changes.

ON a positive note he has shown the want to make changes and not stick to the same old crap that isent working.

anyone remember our D throwing the puck up the boards to no one or trying for the stretch pass that isent there. At least we can get out of our own zone now, and the team is only getting better.

4 hours ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

I think there has been a lot of improvement, I'm just surprised how many fans I see calling for GG to be fired. Not on these forums specifically, it just blows my mind how many people expected the flames to start the race in front after our preseason and new coaching. 

The flames are so much better under GG and I personally love the changes.

ON a positive note he has shown the want to make changes and not stick to the same old crap that isent working.

anyone remember our D throwing the puck up the boards to no one or trying for the stretch pass that isent there. At least we can get out of our own zone now, and the team is only getting better.

Right now with our small  sample to go by, the only improved part to the Flames I see is with the Goaltending. How exactly are we so much better?  PP? PK? Our D is still sucking and struggling even though Brodie is in the lineup? Gio is struggling and not recovering from a major injury this season.

How is getting the puck out and not being able to get it in the Opponents zone any better than a chip out of the zone or a stretch pass that works only part of the time?

27 minutes ago, DirtyDeeds said:

Right now with our small  sample to go by, the only improved part to the Flames I see is with the Goaltending. How exactly are we so much better?  PP? PK? Our D is still sucking and struggling even though Brodie is in the lineup? Gio is struggling and not recovering from a major injury this season.

How is getting the puck out and not being able to get it in the Opponents zone any better than a chip out of the zone or a stretch pass that works only part of the time?

How exactly is our D sucking? Yes our top 2 have struggled, but overall our team Defense has been better which is far more important then a struggling brodie/gio. When those 2 get going we will be much better off.

Our PK has had its moments, it hasent looked great, but I could say that the sheer number of penalties taken has not done us any favors either.

We have outplayed chicago, Stlouis, washington in the past week, what exactly do you expect?

I have a few concerns about the coaching staff. Special teams are still a mess. Hated the Cameron hire. Poor defensive pairings that they keep going back to. More then that is using the public to call out the teams practices or gameplay, that is a card you can't use thst often and they have already played it multiple times. Same story with benching players for entire periods for taking penalties. I get they want them to be more disciplined and I like accountability, but it seems excessive and it will wear thin soon. 

It's early and I am still optimistic. Plus I like a lot of what I am seeing on the ice. But there are some early signs of trouble. 

2 hours ago, kehatch said:

I have a few concerns about the coaching staff. Special teams are still a mess. Hated the Cameron hire. Poor defensive pairings that they keep going back to. More then that is using the public to call out the teams practices or gameplay, that is a card you can't use thst often and they have already played it multiple times. Same story with benching players for entire periods for taking penalties. I get they want them to be more disciplined and I like accountability, but it seems excessive and it will wear thin soon. 

It's early and I am still optimistic. Plus I like a lot of what I am seeing on the ice. But there are some early signs of trouble. 

That is the reason they liked Bennett he pays on the edge. I agree send the message but the call on him before the end of the 2nd was soft. Benny has been good, actually better than JG and Monahan. Strange Chassion can run a guy for a stupid penalty and still gets ice time. Frankly, from what I have seen from Chaisson, I would have pulled the plug on that experiment 4 games ago.

2 hours ago, kehatch said:

I think the trouble comes when the coach calls out certain players in the media, I don't recall GG doing that as of yet. When he calls out the whole team it is nothing more than him saying the team needs to be better, every coach does that.

We have been taking way too many penalties, especially in the offensive zone, the players need to be more disciplined and I am sure that is something GG has been preaching but it doesn't seem to have sunk in, so when you want to get a your message across you start taking away the thing players value more than anything, ice time.

For me the coaching staff has been great, it's the players who aren't executing.

7 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

That is the reason they liked Bennett he pays on the edge. I agree send the message but the call on him before the end of the 2nd was soft. Benny has been good, actually better than JG and Monahan. Strange Chassion can run a guy for a stupid penalty and still gets ice time. Frankly, from what I have seen from Chaisson, I would have pulled the plug on that experiment 4 games ago.

Bennett has taken the most minor penalties in the league, I believe he is up to 12, most of them can't even be chalked up to him being aggressive, they are just dumb stick infractions and it seems that they come in the offensive zone. He has been playing great, imagine what more he could do if he wasn't in the box so much.

Chiasson has been playing well, he adds some defensive responsibility to that top line. He also isn't afraid to muck it up in the corners something that Gaudreau and Monahan aren't all that willing to do. His penalty last night was the worst call of the night, I think he just got called for hitting to hard. The puck was there so it wasn't interference. Either way that is a penalty caused by being aggressive and a coach can forgive that because that's what he has asked of them.

I agree with Jtech that i'm not sure I would classify anything Gulutzan has done as "calling out" his players. Giving an honest answer to a question a media member puts to you is not exactly calling out a player or calling out your team so I don't agree that's what he has done. I can't think of an example that I thought was going over the line that he's done so far all I can picture is him asnwering questions he was asked and every coach will do that. 

I'm not saying i am loving the job Gulutzan is doing but I do think he is doing more good than bad right now. He's overhauled their D zone coverage and its working great, I think he has the PK on the right track and I think he's got a majority of this team playing well. The Flames are being held back because Monahan, Gaudreau, Brodie and Gio are playing at maybe 75% (best case) of what they are capable of. Quite frankily, he actually should get more credit becuase for this team to be where they are with their best players playing the way they are is a postive, not a negative. Speaks to their improvement in their team play and their improved goaltending (which go hand in hand IMO)

I think people overrate the impact coaching can have on special teams. The Flames arn't trying to re create the wheel on special teams here, they just have not excecuted at all. In that case I shift the blame more to players than I do coaches but it does need to be corrected and thats where coaching needs to step in.

Last night he benched Bennett for the entire third after a pretty innocent penalty. A few games ago he benched 3 or 4 players for most of the third. He has ranted to the media after one practice not long ago. It's 12 games in with a new coach. 

Again, not saying the sky is falling. But those are some early cracks. 

9 minutes ago, kehatch said:

Last night he benched Bennett for the entire third after a pretty innocent penalty. A few games ago he benched 3 or 4 players for most of the third. He has ranted to the media after one practice not long ago. It's 12 games in with a new coach. 

If you want to look for cracks you will find them. I see a new coach demanding of his players to play within a system and eliminate the mistakes. Might as well lay the law down now, it's a long season. You have to remember this is GG's second go at maybe he learned a few things along the way.

The "I didn't like our practice today" speech? Not sure that qualfies as a rant, especially consider he followed it up with giving his players the benefit of the doubt. And that was a very lazy penalty on Bennett who has taken the most penalties in the NHL and is 3 minor penalties clear of the 2nd most penalized player. That penalty is not a one off, Bennett has been far too guiltyof lazy penalties this season and Gulutzan gave him rope utnil last night.

I understand people having concerns, but I think your are extrapolating issues that shouldn't be concerns. I actually really like how much Gulutzan is stressing accountabilty, was lacking across the board from Hartley. 

2 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

If you want to look for cracks you will find them. I see a new coach demanding of his players to play within a system and eliminate the mistakes. Might as well lay the law down now, it's a long season. You have to remember this is GG's second go at maybe he learned a few things along the way.

1 minute ago, cross16 said:

The "I didn't like our practice today" speech? Not sure that qualfies as a rant, especially consider he followed it up with giving his players the benefit of the doubt. And that was a very lazy penalty on Bennett who has taken the most penalties in the NHL and is 3 minor penalties clear of the 2nd most penalized player. That penalty is not a one off, Bennett has been far too quality of lazy penalties this season and Gulutzan gave him rope utnil last night.

I understand people having concerns, but I think your are extrapolating issues that shouldn't be concerns. I actually really like how much Gulutzan is stressing accountabilty, was lacking across the board from Hartley. 

Like I said, I am not suggesting the sky is falling.  I like what I am seeing on the ice in terms of systems and I am all for accountability.  But it is a flag when a coach is complaining about a practice to the media 12-games in, common benchings, etc. I am not going to keep debating the issue because there isn't any way for me to do that without coming off like I have giant concerns. I just don't like seeing so many coach vs players instances this early into a season or this early into a coaching tenure.   

2 minutes ago, kehatch said:

Like I said, I am not suggesting the sky is falling.  I like what I am seeing on the ice in terms of systems and I am all for accountability.  But it is a flag when a coach is complaining about a practice to the media 12-games in, common benchings, etc. I am not going to keep debating the issue because there isn't any way for me to do that without coming off like I have giant concerns. I just don't like seeing so many coach vs players instances this early into a season or this early into a coaching tenure.   

Better now than continuing throughout the season.

6 hours ago, kehatch said:

I can see what youre saying. But at the same time im kinda wondering if since so many flames players arent used to have a system to play in, they are just getting used to it. Hes never stated the players are lazy, just that he wants them to do things the right way.

7 hours ago, kehatch said:

It in itself was an innocent play but Bennett's PIMs have been hurting us all season.  

When we drafted him, one thing to note was high PIMs.  Some sold that as a positive to suggest he plays on the edge and plays chippy. We are fast realizing that's not entirely true.  He takes a large amount of penalties out of desperation from getting beat.  Many times, these penalties occur in the offensive zone where getting beat doesn't even hurt us positionally.  That and penalties away from the play.  Needless and unforced.  Overall, just not smart penalties that save a goal or sends a message.

Gutsy call to bench him.

GG also benched Wideman early into the season and had an alleged argument with GG a few days ago about being taken off the PP... BH would've played favorites in both cases.

13 hours ago, The_People1 said:

It in itself was an innocent play but Bennett's PIMs have been hurting us all season.  

When we drafted him, one thing to note was high PIMs.  Some sold that as a positive to suggest he plays on the edge and plays chippy. We are fast realizing that's not entirely true.  He takes a large amount of penalties out of desperation from getting beat.  Many times, these penalties occur in the offensive zone where getting beat doesn't even hurt us positionally.  That and penalties away from the play.  Needless and unforced.  Overall, just not smart penalties that save a goal or sends a message.

Gutsy call to bench him.

GG also benched Wideman early into the season and had an alleged argument with GG a few days ago about being taken off the PP... BH would've played favorites in both cases.

Bennett needs to slow the game down for himself to be a better player IMO and this may be GG's way of getting him to think about what he is doing out there.

Archived