cccsberg

Couldn't watch the game, but Wilson sounds like he may have earned a contract (may go to Stockton).  Andersson just continues to impress.  Kylington is getting better each game.  Same with Morrison (by the sounds of last night).  Wotherspoon is just slow and steady, so he may have the inside track.  Nakladal's malady is not serious I hope.  Waiting for the update on him, whether it is concussion protocol or not.

Is there any video replay of the hit?

I feel terrible for Nakladal as he was the front runner to replace Brodie in the starting lineup.  Now he's injured too.  Hope it's nothing serious.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel terrible for Nakladal as he was the front runner to replace Brodie in the starting lineup.  Now he's injured too.  Hope it's nothing serious.

They was nothing of the game at all.  Nada.  Zilch.  Didn't even to seem to be any streams either.  Listened to most of the Fan960 coverage, but missed that part.

Here is a brief description of the potential replacements:

http://flamesnation.ca/2015/9/25/handicapping-the-race-for-blueline-jobs

Couldn't watch the game, but Wilson sounds like he may have earned a contract (may go to Stockton).  Andersson just continues to impress.  Kylington is getting better each game.  Same with Morrison (by the sounds of last night).  Wotherspoon is just slow and steady, so he may have the inside track.  Nakladal's malady is not serious I hope.  Waiting for the update on him, whether it is concussion protocol or not.

I actually think thats working against Wotherspoon, his game is almost too "boring". I do understand the upside of haivng someone out there you can trust, but the problem with wotherspoon (and for me the problem i've always had with him) is he does nothing to stand out. he's not physical, he is a good but not great skater so not exactly a "shutdown" guy, and whil ehe makes a sound first pass he won't offer much in the way of offence. Not that it is a bad quality to have in a dman but what it does it make you very susceptible to people passing you on the depth chart becuase they will offer something you can use. Thats what I think is happening to Wotherspoon, other dman around him are offering more and he's getting passed. I wouldln't necessarily agree he has the inside track i think the Flames need to see more if they are going to be comfortable with him making the team. he might get it done as an injury replacement but he needs to start showing he can play in the NHL full time.

I feel terrible for Nakladal as he was the front runner to replace Brodie in the starting lineup. Now he's injured too. Hope it's nothing serious.

I listened to some of the game online and during the play he was wresting the Avs player for the puck and they both fell and Nakladal went face first. It didn't sound intentional, just one of those things when competing.

I actually think thats working against Wotherspoon, his game is almost too "boring". I do understand the upside of haivng someone out there you can trust, but the problem with wotherspoon (and for me the problem i've always had with him) is he does nothing to stand out. he's not physical, he is a good but not great skater so not exactly a "shutdown" guy, and whil ehe makes a sound first pass he won't offer much in the way of offence. Not that it is a bad quality to have in a dman but what it does it make you very susceptible to people passing you on the depth chart becuase they will offer something you can use. Thats what I think is happening to Wotherspoon, other dman around him are offering more and he's getting passed. I wouldln't necessarily agree he has the inside track i think the Flames need to see more if they are going to be comfortable with him making the team. he might get it done as an injury replacement but he needs to start showing he can play in the NHL full time.

Derek Smith is a player that is comparable to Wotherspoon.  They both do nothing wrong and they play a simple game very well, to the point where they deserve to play at the NHL level.  At the same time though, they do nothing special to justify their spot on the line-up over someone else.  They offer nothing unique to themselves.  They don't skate particularly fast, shoot hard, hit often, bring physical intimidation, etc.  Their hockey sense is "good enough" but not exceptional. 

I listened to some of the game online and during the play he was wresting the Avs player for the puck and they both fell and Nakladal went face first. It didn't sound intentional, just one of those things when competing.

Ouch.  Really sucks for him to be injured on a fluke play because he was the front runner to get that roster spot on opening night.

I dunno man, maybe BT can trade one of Hiller or Ramo for a 5/6/7 depth Dman to start the season.

The "shut down D-man" never gets much love.  Spoon's awareness seems to be sound, so I think he has better positioning than the other guys, with the exception of Wilson.  I am wondering what the coach wants as a Brodie replacement though.  Nakladal and Andersson both have good shots and offensive awareness.  Morrison has a heavy shot, but is really just starting to find his legs.

Kylington is as good a skater as Brodie.

Short-term options (Brodie/Smid injuries):

• keep Andersson (RHS) up for 9 games before returning him to the OHL; pair him with Russell
  • keep Kylington (LHS) up for 9 games and return him to the AHL; pair him with Wideman or Engelland 
  • bring in Nakladal for a brief stint and send him to the AHL after Brodie and/or Smid returns (he waiver exempt); RHS - see Andersson
  • keep Wotherspoon up to replace a LHS; pair him with Wideman or Engelland 
  • sign Wilson (LHS) to NHL deal; pair him with Wideman or Engelland; you might lose him to waiver, but low risk signing

Latest round of cuts to Training Camp roster:

CALGARY - The Calgary Flames have re-assigned eight players and released another from training camp.

Forwards Austin Carroll, Ryan Lomberg, Louick Marcotte, Mitchell Heard and Hunter Smith, defenceman Aaron Johnson and goaltender Kent Simpson have been sent Calgary's new American Hockey League affiliate in Stockton, Calif.

Goaltender Nick Schneider was returned to the Western Hockey League's Medicine Hat Tigers. Defenceman Douglas Murray was released from his professional tryout contract.

The Flames have 49 players remaining at training camp — five goalies, 18 defencemen and 26 forwards.

Happy they released Doug Murray.  Smith and Carroll assigned to Stockton.  Nets could get crowded in Stockton, but I guess the low man could be sent to the ECHL.

The "shut down D-man" never gets much love.  Spoon's awareness seems to be sound, so I think he has better positioning than the other guys, with the exception of Wilson.  

Woudln't really agree with that. Willie Mitchell got plenty of love both in Vancouver and LA, Robyn Regehr was always well liked. Ryan McDonaugh and Dan Gillardi get tons of press in NY too. I agree its more of a dying art, but if you are good at it I think you'll get notied. Problem with Wotherspoon is he really isn't a "shut down" dman. I think the Flames want him to be, but so far he hasn't really shown anything to jusity it. I agree with Peeps that right now he is looking like another Derek smith type dman. Guy who can skat at the NHL level and play "OK" but not really do anything that warrants keeping him in the lineup full time. He's got time to change that of course and worth noting that this is i think the first camp for him that he actually came in healthy and ready to go.

Latest round of cuts to Training Camp roster:

CALGARY - The Calgary Flames have re-assigned eight players and released another from training camp.

Forwards Austin Carroll, Ryan Lomberg, Louick Marcotte, Mitchell Heard and Hunter Smith, defenceman Aaron Johnson and goaltender Kent Simpson have been sent Calgary's new American Hockey League affiliate in Stockton, Calif.

Goaltender Nick Schneider was returned to the Western Hockey League's Medicine Hat Tigers. Defenceman Douglas Murray was released from his professional tryout contract.

The Flames have 49 players remaining at training camp — five goalies, 18 defencemen and 26 forwards.

Happy they released Doug Murray.  Smith and Carroll assigned to Stockton.  Nets could get crowded in Stockton, but I guess the low man could be sent to the ECHL.

Wouldn't call it a suprise, but worth pointing out Smith goes to the AHL. he could have gone back to Junior and it wouldn't have shocked me if the Flames did that given he really only has the 2 OHL season and only 1 playing in a top 6 ish role. I think he's ready for the AHL but I did find that interesting.

Derek Smith is a good comparison, earlier today the guy that came to my mind was Brendan Mikkelson.

Wotherspoon's skating and first class are adequate, but outside of that he has seemed below average. I have not been overly impressed with is hockey sense/decision making.

If I am handicapping the who the race to fill in for Brodie and eventually get the 7th defenseman spot, I would give the edge to Nakladal followed by Wilson, after that it is Morrison and Wotherspoon with the outside shot.

Derek Smith is a good comparison, earlier today the guy that came to my mind was Brendan Mikkelson.

Wotherspoon's skating and first class are adequate, but outside of that he has seemed below average. I have not been overly impressed with is hockey sense/decision making.

If I am handicapping the who the race to fill in for Brodie and eventually get the 7th defenseman spot, I would give the edge to Nakladal followed by Wilson, after that it is Morrison and Wotherspoon with the outside shot.

since he was injured in 2013/14, he only played one regular season game(#82).  In the playoffs last year, he only had one game where he played more than 6 minute.  In that game he played 14 minutes.  He and Schlemko were the only two d-men that game to be even.  

This year he played with Hamilton for part of the game in Calgary.  Not exactly a body of work to base a current opinion on.    

Ok, I am going to post my opinions from tonight's game as I was in the stands, close ish to the net where Bollig and Granny scored.

First off, sportsnet got the 3 stars very wrong. Horvat deserved a nod for sure as he was easily the best Canuck on the ice. Vrbata would be second and McCaan third. Miller was not terribly sharp most of the game but did make a couple of big stops.

The top Flame was Ramo, making some huge saves for a total of 40/43 shots stopped. The best forward by far was Stajan by far. He set up 3 of the 4 Calgary goals with perfect passes having done all the hard work on both of Bollig's goals. The best D pairing for Calgary was Andersson and Wotherspoon. Andersson beat out Wotherspoon due to a slow start by Tspoon but both were solid. TSpoon made some very good passes, tried a decent shot, make a couple solid hits and generally was very well positioned including some good crease clearing with his lumber. I can make some similarities between TSpoon and JBo. JBo skated better and had a better shot, but Spoon is a little more physical but solid positionally and smart defensively. Wilson was everywhere in the first and third periods, mostly invisible in the second and was moving alot without being all that beneficial overall. Kulak made some big mistakes sadly. He had a few good shifts but he needs more development to make better choices. Morrisson was adequate but was far from great. Kylington is an intelligent player with good hands and good vision but needs to build a LOT more strength as Horvat simply pushed past him with ease and was pushed around in the corners.

Hathaway was the best young forward. He was in the middle of the action every time he was on the ice. Puck control, board control and physical really showed his stuff. He could be another Bouma. Jooris started slow but really picked up as the game went on. Granlund worked hard and took punishment. Poirier had some good shifts with his speed but was mostly ineffective and if you weren't looking for him, he was invisible most of the game. Riley had a couple of good hits but otherwise not much else to say. Elson was basically invisible. Jones had a good game as did Colbourne controlling the boards. Klimchuk had some good shifts but was very inconsistent. Mayray was inefficient at best overall. A couple of reasonable plays but nothing to write home about. If I missed anyone, there is no comment for them as they were ultimately invisible.

Overall

Andersson A+

Stajan A+

Tspoon A

Hathaway A

Ramo A-

Jones B+

Jooris B+

Colbourne B+

Granlund B

Morrison B

Bollig B

Kylington B

Wilson B-

Everyone else I would say was lower.

Just my thoughts though.

Ok, I am going to post my opinions from tonight's game as I was in the stands, close ish to the net where Bollig and Granny scored.

First off, sportsnet got the 3 stars very wrong. Horvat deserved a nod for sure as he was easily the best Canuck on the ice. Vrbata would be second and McCaan third. Miller was not terribly sharp most of the game but did make a couple of big stops.

The top Flame was Ramo, making some huge saves for a total of 40/43 shots stopped. The best forward by far was Stajan by far. He set up 3 of the 4 Calgary goals with perfect passes having done all the hard work on both of Bollig's goals. The best D pairing for Calgary was Andersson and Wotherspoon. Andersson beat out Wotherspoon due to a slow start by Tspoon but both were solid. TSpoon made some very good passes, tried a decent shot, make a couple solid hits and generally was very well positioned including some good crease clearing with his lumber. I can make some similarities between TSpoon and JBo. JBo skated better and had a better shot, but Spoon is a little more physical but solid positionally and smart defensively. Wilson was everywhere in the first and third periods, mostly invisible in the second and was moving alot without being all that beneficial overall. Kulak made some big mistakes sadly. He had a few good shifts but he needs more development to make better choices. Morrisson was adequate but was far from great. Kylington is an intelligent player with good hands and good vision but needs to build a LOT more strength as Horvat simply pushed past him with ease and was pushed around in the corners.

Hathaway was the best young forward. He was in the middle of the action every time he was on the ice. Puck control, board control and physical really showed his stuff. He could be another Bouma. Jooris started slow but really picked up as the game went on. Granlund worked hard and took punishment. Poirier had some good shifts with his speed but was mostly ineffective and if you weren't looking for him, he was invisible most of the game. Riley had a couple of good hits but otherwise not much else to say. Elson was basically invisible. Jones had a good game as did Colbourne controlling the boards. Klimchuk had some good shifts but was very inconsistent. Mayray was inefficient at best overall. A couple of reasonable plays but nothing to write home about. If I missed anyone, there is no comment for them as they were ultimately invisible.

Overall

Andersson A+

Stajan A+

Tspoon A

Hathaway A

Ramo A-

Jones B+

Jooris B+

Colbourne B+

Granlund B

Morrison B

Bollig B

Kylington B

Wilson B-

Everyone else I would say was lower.

Just my thoughts though.

Thanks, a great summary. I was only able to listen on the radio, where it seemed Kulak was best D, Ramo terrific and Stajan also terrific. They also mentioned Klimchuk was terrific but only in the third, and that Hathaway was impressive. I was surprised listening as Andersson was hardly ever mentioned, but then I was thinking he may have been assigned to the Sedins who I hardly heard mentioned either. I see you put him at the top of your list, so what was he assigned and why the highest ranking?

I thought Andersson was very good. He made excellent passes out of the D zone, really kept the nucks to the outside. He was strong on the boards, not getting beat during puck battles. He skated very well, sometimes jumping up in the play but was able to get back quickly as well to be sound defensively. I just didn't see many, if any mistakes out of him and Spoon. I found that Andersson and Spoon played a lot of the harder minutes. They were on every PK, end of the game, PP and started overtime.

Kulak was good along the boards in his own end and decent in front of the net. He did not have any outstanding passes (Andersson had some great bounce passes and some awesome cross ice break outs). I saw little of Kulak that stood at all, basically the knock often placed on Spoon. He was the D man on the first Canuck goal who slid early and fast, not very close to Vrbata, and he slid well past the play and the net before the puck crossed. Vrbata simply slowed a little, made a nice pass and the puck was in the net. I didn't catch the number of the Flame trying to catch up to the goal scorer but in a 2 on 1 Kulak should have left Vrbata to Ramo, stayed on his feet and focused more on the pass.

There was not as much line matching over all in the game. Elson and Riley got less time than most, Stajan Jones and Bollig got lots. D was rotated fairly evenly overall with each taking various lines. I will double check the stat lines, but that was my perception.

First star was Stajan by a mile last night. I thought Ramo was very good with the exception of the 3rd Orca goal. Out of the rookies I really like Klimchuk last night, he was kind in the weeds till the 3rd but showed what type of player he could be. Anderson, Kylington were good. When they both become use to NHL style will be fun to watch. Porier IMHO was surpassed by Kilmer last night, he was ineffective. I keep hearing speed and grit have yet to see it. Kulak, Morrision,Wilson had moments but were average for me. 

First star was Stajan by a mile last night. I thought Ramo was very good with the exception of the 3rd Orca goal. Out of the rookies I really like Klimchuk last night, he was kind in the weeds till the 3rd but showed what type of player he could be. Anderson, Kylington were good. When they both become use to NHL style will be fun to watch. Porier IMHO was surpassed by Kilmer last night, he was ineffective. I keep hearing speed and grit have yet to see it. Kulak, Morrision,Wilson had moments but were average for me. 

You gotta remember that these prospects are still kids. It takes some players longer to mature and that could be the case for Poirier. We want to see magic at the NHL level, but maybe it takes him another year or two in the AHL to be ready. He could be intimidated by the men. It might just mean that his body hasn't fully developed and he's in his head about it. It will be when he overcomes it. 

CALGARY, AB -- The Calgary Flames announced today that they have assigned 12 players to their American Hockey League affiliate, the Stockton Heat: Kenny Agostino (LW), Bill Arnold ©, Ryan Culkin (D), Jon Gillies (G), Keegan Kanzig (D), Morgan Klimchuk (LW), Oliver Kylington (D), Kenney Morrison (D), Emile Poirier (RW), Blair Riley (RW), Patrick Sieloff (D), and Bryce Van Brabant (LW).

The Flames also announced that they have returned defenceman Rasmus Andersson to the OHL’s Barrie Colts. Calgary has also placed forwards Turner Elson and Derek Grant on waivers and if they clear waivers at 10:00 AM MST on Monday, September 28 then the two will also be assigned to the Stockton Heat.

Calgary has 32 players remaining at training camp (3x goalies, 11x defencemen, 18x forwards).

Interesting to see Kanzig, Klimchuk and Kylington all assigned to Stockton.

CALGARY, AB -- The Calgary Flames announced today that they have assigned 12 players to their American Hockey League affiliate, the Stockton Heat: Kenny Agostino (LW), Bill Arnold ©, Ryan Culkin (D), Jon Gillies (G), Keegan Kanzig (D), Morgan Klimchuk (LW), Oliver Kylington (D), Kenney Morrison (D), Emile Poirier (RW), Blair Riley (RW), Patrick Sieloff (D), and Bryce Van Brabant (LW).

The Flames also announced that they have returned defenceman Rasmus Andersson to the OHL’s Barrie Colts. Calgary has also placed forwards Turner Elson and Derek Grant on waivers and if they clear waivers at 10:00 AM MST on Monday, September 28 then the two will also be assigned to the Stockton Heat.

Calgary has 32 players remaining at training camp (3x goalies, 11x defencemen, 18x forwards).

Interesting to see Kanzig, Klimchuk and Kylington all assigned to Stockton.

Good to see Klimchuk and Kylington assigned to the AHL team.  They are both ready for pro and can learn more in the Flames organization.  Also good to see Ras go back to junior.  These two defense are part of our future, so no point prolonging the decision; they aren't NHL ready.

Feel bad for Arnold.  His injury mid season prevented him from getting called up.  This year, he takes a stick to the face from Gio and misses out on the two games he was supposed to play in.  He will be a force this year in Stockton.

So we are left with Kulak, Spoon and Wislon fighting it out.  Nakladal's status is still not known.

At forward, we have Hathaway, Shore, Granlund, Byron, Bollig and Raymond fighting it out.  I may have missed somebody.

You gotta remember that these prospects are still kids. It takes some players longer to mature and that could be the case for Poirier. We want to see magic at the NHL level, but maybe it takes him another year or two in the AHL to be ready. He could be intimidated by the men. It might just mean that his body hasn't fully developed and he's in his head about it. It will be when he overcomes it. 

Another year in the AHL will do wonders for Poirier's game.

I thought Derek Grant had a great camp.  It's no wonder management thought he'd be a surprise to make the team out of camp.  I think he's a definite call-up in a bottom 6 role.  He brings energy with hockey smarts and that's rare to see.

I still don't think Mason Raymond should be on this team.  I hope he goes on waivers soon.

On that note, Paul Byron hasn't looked himself either thus far.

I thought Derek Grant had a great camp.  It's no wonder management thought he'd be a surprise to make the team out of camp.  I think he's a definite call-up in a bottom 6 role.  He brings energy with hockey smarts and that's rare to see.

I still don't think Mason Raymond should be on this team.  I hope he goes on waivers soon.

On that note, Paul Byron hasn't looked himself either thus far.

Garnet Hathaway could be the surprise to make the team, RW on the 4th line.

Wilson is likely the keeper on D until the return times of Brodie and Smid are determined.

The big decision remains around our goaltending.

The goaltending decision will be an interesting one.  I can't imagine the Flames exposing Ortio to waivers, so they're going to have to send either Hiller or Ramo to Stockton.  I think Hiller is the better goalie, but I expect he'll be the one going to Stockton.

I have a hard time believing Kanzig will make the AHL team.  He may wind up in the ECHL. 

I'd really like to see Kylington moved to Brandon.  He has a great deal of potential, but his defensive game has a long way to go.  A year of stability on a good team would serve him well.

Archived