cccsberg

With training camp just a week away its time to start focusing in on the roster spot battles upcoming, and which of the prospects are going to step up and force their way onto the team, versus which vets are going to elevate their games to keep their jobs.

It'll also be interesting to see who loses out first and gets sent down early, and when/if any vets get waived, which if there are no trades its a definite that at least two players will be.  

Finally, with so many invitees to the Penticton tournament (roster anyone?) and TC who will stand out and who is most likely to get a contract?

Thoughts anyone?  Time to get out those hockey sticks....

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Poirier is looking to earn a spot.  Bennett is almost a given, but the kid is a gamer.  He'll be hungry.  Hoping Granlund and Ferland are able to earn permanent spots.  Also hoping Ortio makes it impossible for the Flames to keep both Hiller and Ramo.

Love Bennett (as per my sig), but the prospect that intrigues me the most is Poirier.  I'm not sure exactly what his ceiling is, but he's always excited me to watch.

* First player to get traded...Wideman. 

* First player I hope gets traded....Raymond/Stajan

Player I hope gets traded: Raymond and either Smid OR Engelland (I like them both individually, but realistically we do not need both on the team. One or the other is fine. Smid is a bit better defensively in my mind, but Engelland is also capable of stepping up and also provides more of a physical edge).

First player to get traded: My guess is likely one of the younger fringe-forwards (Byron, Granlund, Colborne, possibly Agostino) along withe either Raymond or a D Prospect (potentially Rafikov)

Rookies pushing for a full time spot: Bennett (damn near a lock, but still a chance he gets sent back to Juniors), Granlund (he has shown he is capable at the NHL level, just needs to show consistency to stay there), Ferland (first he needs a contract, than needs to earn a spot but if the Vancouver series showed anything, it is that he is definitely coming into his own as a player and ready to push).

Guys who will likely get call-ups at some point: Arnold (If Bennett goes back to Juniors or any Center injury, that bottom 6 C spot is open, and Arnold is probably our most ready player for that role). Poirier/Granlund (Top 9 wing spot, but their respective camps definitely will show which gets the call up). On D, if an injury occurs (Hockey god forbid that it's one of our top 3) it will likely be an offensively based guy coming up (as Smid/Engelland fill the same shut-down role while the other 5 d-men are our offensively gifted ones, Smid/Engelland are the 6/7 so they will replace eachother as the shut down guy), I most likely see it being Nakladal (being a pro for years in Europe, assuming his camp is still decent) or Morrisson (as one of our top offensive D prospects that is guaranteed to be in NA Pro). On the off chance a more defensively minded prospect gets called up, I figure it will be Wotherspoon, with a chance of either Seiloff or Kanzig depending on their camps and how their season goes.

Rob, it is similar to the Roster thread, but I think this is a different enough to warrant it's own thread (being that it is based around Training Camp and prospects with a chance to push).

The two guys that impressed me the most at Development Camp were Poirier and Jankowski. Since Janks went back to school he's in next year country, while I'm hoping Poirier forces the Flames to keep him up.

Having said that I personally do not believe the Flames will waive anybody if they have a non-waiver option, so I expect Poirier, Ferland, Granlund, Ortio(not SB) all sent to the AHL to start the season. That would be HUGELY disappointing and counter to the team's mantra but that is what happened last year and I don't see BB/BT changing this year. I hope I am wrong and the TC winners stay up no matter what or BT can pull off a couple of TC trades to clear some space.

If Nakladal, Morrison and or Wotherspoon come in strong and earn a spot I agree Wideman (or perhaps Russell) will be the first trade, hopefully along with smid or Engelland.

The two guys that impressed me the most at Development Camp were Poirier and Jankowski. Since Janks went back to school he's in next year country, while I'm hoping Poirier forces the Flames to keep him up.

Having said that I personally do not believe the Flames will waive anybody if they have a non-waiver option, so I expect Poirier, Ferland, Granlund, Ortio(not SB) all sent to the AHL to start the season. That would be HUGELY disappointing and counter to the team's mantra but that is what happened last year and I don't see BB/BT changing this year. I hope I am wrong and the TC winners stay up no matter what or BT can pull off a couple of TC trades to clear some space.

If Nakladal, Morrison and or Wotherspoon come in strong and earn a spot I agree Wideman (or perhaps Russell) will be the first trade, hopefully along with smid or Engelland.

All of the players you mention will likely impress and open some eyes but I see everyone of them seeing spot duty throughout the year. Most of the moves or trades may or may not happen at all this year or early this year but their definitely needs to be some action before next 2016/17 season.

I saw BB on the news this am saying last year's team over achieved and deserved to take most of the same roster plus Hamilton and Frolik at least into the start of this season.

All of the players you mention will likely impress and open some eyes but I see everyone of them seeing spot duty throughout the year. Most of the moves or trades may or may not happen at all this year or early this year but their definitely needs to be some action before next 2016/17 season.

I saw BB on the news this am saying last year's team over achieved and deserved to take most of the same roster plus Hamilton and Frolik at least into the start of this season.

Didn't see BB.  I don't believe you can have it both ways.  Either "live on past laurels" or "Never Given, Always Earned". Sounds like BB is trying to pave the way for making no changes even if younger guys Earn It, either because they are in a box and can't make deals, or an unwillingness to bring in fresh, new, better guys.  That mantra doesn't help the guys that Hamilton and Frolik are displacing, nor Diaz, Schlemko or Potter from last year's team who have been released.

Sounds like Ryan Wilson is invited to camp on a PTO. That is an interesting fit considering we are so deep at D. Maybe future movement is being considered.

I have liked Ryan Wilson for awhile, but he has really struggled with injuries the last few years. I think he could be a really solid depth defenseman if he has finally recovered from his injuries.

Ok, who is Ryan Wilson and where did he come from? Guess I'll have to go do some research.

Calgary signed Wilson out of junior but traded him to Colorado shortly after and that's where he has been since.

He's on a PTO so that's a plus. I personally don't think there is room for him.

Ok, checked the NHL stats and a short write up on Matchsticks and Gasoline. Seems like an experienced D with a potential upside of a 2/3D who is hard-hitting and had several years of injury issues that have derailed his career. In general I would agree there is no room (I'm concerned prospects not getting a fair shake), but if he is over injuries and can regain past potential (kind of like Roberts years ago) it's a no-brainer, especially on a PTO.

Good on BT for turning every stone trying to find players. Bring your "A" game fellows to the training camp!

He could also just be potential veteran depth for the AHL.

Nakladal (27) and Morrison (23) aside, there isn't a defense-man over 21 in Stockton.

So I guess they got rid of their AHL vets from last year?

Not sure where/if Wilson may fit, but willing to see what he can bring. Apparently was quite good before injuries took their toll.

I remember Wilson being a solid player. Nothing too outstanding, but not in a bad way. He did his job pretty well often without being too noticed. before the injuries. If he ever plays a full season, he would be a good 20 point/year D-man who is pretty consistantly a plus player on bottom 4 minutes. The last couple years he has had rather limited games played, and averaged between 11-14 minutes a game, but during his 60+ game seasons he was averaging around 18-19 minutes a game, so he (at least was) capable of handling higher workloads if necessary.

I would love to bring him onto the team, the only problem being that short of a trade getting rid of Smid and/or Engelland and 1-2 of our D prospects if we really have space for him on the big club. If we brought him in on an AHL contract to help the farm team (and to prove he can go the season without missing serious time) that would be a big win for us I believe (and if he goes without injury a big win for him if he wants to play next year with injuries being in the past).

I remember Wilson being a solid player. Nothing too outstanding, but not in a bad way. He did his job pretty well often without being too noticed. before the injuries. If he ever plays a full season, he would be a good 20 point/year D-man who is pretty consistantly a plus player on bottom 4 minutes. The last couple years he has had rather limited games played, and averaged between 11-14 minutes a game, but during his 60+ game seasons he was averaging around 18-19 minutes a game, so he (at least was) capable of handling higher workloads if necessary.

I would love to bring him onto the team, the only problem being that short of a trade getting rid of Smid and/or Engelland and 1-2 of our D prospects if we really have space for him on the big club. If we brought him in on an AHL contract to help the farm team (and to prove he can go the season without missing serious time) that would be a big win for us I believe (and if he goes without injury a big win for him if he wants to play next year with injuries being in the past).

Yes injuries is the thing.  If he can get by that we could have a player.

The issue i.e. prospects is more complex, as I believe we have multiple prospects ready to make the jump (Nakladal, Morrison, Wotherspoon) and no space on the roster until 1-2 players get traded or injuries occur.  Adding another potential player into the mix seems counterintuitive, and it is as far as new UFA players look at it from the outside.  Inside I want players that raise the level of their game and earn it, thereby raising the level of the whole team.  Ultimately a player needs to get to that level regardless of how many bodies stand in his way so adding Wilson wouldn't matter.  Practically-speaking, however, as we see currently, having too many bodies here is a problem as it is difficult to get rid of them when you need to...

I view Wilson similar to what they did ith Diaz/Potter last year as AHL depth that could be a call up if injuries strike. AHL has some decent depth with the likes of Kulak, Culkin, Kanzig etc, but if a few injuries hit the blueline you are starting to get pretty thin down there. Wilson could provide that AHL veteran presence plus be able to play some NHL games if required. Nakalde and Morrison would factor into that to but Nakadl is a shutdown guy and Morrison is a RH shot so Wilson gives you a LH shot with some offensive abilites should they lose that during the year. Plus, depth is never a bad think to have and could allow the Flames to easily part with a Smid if that deal came along

I remeber Wilson being a great puck mover, solid PP presnce, but an awkward/below average skater and htus he struggled in his own zone. He did improve on that once in Colorado I do recall but I think his skating holds him back from being anything but a fill in.

What's interesting to watch is if BT will make trades as a result of training camp battles or if ownership is okay with contracts like Raymond sitting in the minors.  $3-mil is a lot of money for a team like the Flames to bury in the minors when you consider the Flames are not a large market, the oil prices are low so consumer spending is low, the CDN/USD exchange rate is horrid (salaries paid in USD), etc.  The Flames probably will lose about $5-million this year because of all these external factors.

And that's if Stajan doesn't need to get buried in the minors along with Raymond.  Also, what if Smid has to get buried because he can't get back to the same level he was prior to his injury?  Or if one of the new comer Dmen make a serious case for an NHL roster?  Le'ts not forget about Ortio who can send Hiller or Ramo packing to Stockton as well.

Trades trades trades?

What's interesting to watch is if BT will make trades as a result of training camp battles or if ownership is okay with contracts like Raymond sitting in the minors.  $3-mil is a lot of money for a team like the Flames to bury in the minors when you consider the Flames are not a large market, the oil prices are low so consumer spending is low, the CDN/USD exchange rate is horrid (salaries paid in USD), etc.  The Flames probably will lose about $5-million this year because of all these external factors.

And that's if Stajan doesn't need to get buried in the minors along with Raymond.  Also, what if Smid has to get buried because he can't get back to the same level he was prior to his injury?  Or if one of the new comer Dmen make a serious case for an NHL roster?  Le'ts not forget about Ortio who can send Hiller or Ramo packing to Stockton as well.

Trades trades trades?

BB has said, and BT said the same thing, that the Flames are a cap team.  Getting into the playoffs, no matter what it takes, is their first priority.  They are gearing up for a new arena, which is going to hurt a lot more than a few salaries in the minors.  Besides, if they have a few vets in the minors, they might actually make the playoffs this year.  

Trades trades trades?

It should be interesting to see how things unfold but other than dealing with 3 goalies I don't see any need to bury anyone in the minors.

Raymond likely starts the season on LW.

Stajan isn't going to the minors.

Engelland right now is our 6th best defenseman.

Smid (future TBD )

I don't think they resigned Ramo to dump him.

It should be interesting to see how things unfold but other than dealing with 3 goalies I don't see any need to bury anyone in the minors.

Raymond likely starts the season on LW.

Stajan isn't going to the minors.

Engelland right now is our 6th best defenseman.

Smid (future TBD )

I don't think they resigned Ramo to dump him.

They have three excess waiver-eligible players so SOMEONE is going to be sitting in the minors, unless there are several trades or early TC injuries... Still work for BT before the start of the season.

BB has said, and BT said the same thing, that the Flames are a cap team.  Getting into the playoffs, no matter what it takes, is their first priority.  They are gearing up for a new arena, which is going to hurt a lot more than a few salaries in the minors.  Besides, if they have a few vets in the minors, they might actually make the playoffs this year.  

What's the cap implications for stuffing contracts in the minors?  It still counts against the cap right?

Archived