cccsberg

Bollig isn't nearly as versatile as some of the guys, and I can't argue that. But he has stepped up this pre-season (and end of last season during the stretch run for the playoffs and into the playoffs). I highly doubt we sent both Bollig and Raymond. I could potentially see one of them going, in which case I would keep Bollig and send Raymond. Raymond is about as versatile as Bollig but in my opinion an even bigger defensive liability. Not to mention there isn't a spot for Raymond unless he can convert effectively to RW (since our LW of Gaudreau, Bouma and Ferland/Hudler have all more than out-played Raymond and I doubt Raymond outplays Ferland/Hudler or Gaudreau for a spot on the scoring lines, and isn't defensively sound enough by far to take Bouma's spot on the shut-down line).

Bollig is definitely built for a physical energy line. Raymond is built for a scoring line/ And Raymond hasn't been scoring. If Bollig scores it's icing on the cake, but Raymond isn't good enough on the physical or defensive aspects of the game to provide anything other than scoring.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hartley's trying to mentor him and prod him further.  Hopefully he is able to do it, that he wants it enough and makes that next step.  Next year some spots may open up but with Nakladal, Morrison, Kylington, Andersson, Culkin, Sieloff and Hickey coming on strong next year its now or never.  Just push through kid, you can do it.

Like it's been said before, there's just nothing special about him.  He does a lot of the basic things very well but he doesn't excel doing anything.  He was only considered our top D prospect because we didn't really have good prospects at D.  We do now and it's so glaringly obvious how average he is.

The forward position is becoming pretty clear. Frolik, Hudler, Backlund, Monahan, Gaudreau, and Bouma were going to make this team before camp started and they have done nothing to change that. Ferland, Jones, Bennett, Jooris, Stajan, and Bollig have made the team given their effort in camp.

That gives you:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Ferland

Hudler-Bennett-Frolik

Bouma-Backlund-Jones

Bollig-Stajan-Jooris

Swap Ferland for Frolik.

Frolik would be a fantastic fit, Bennett and Ferland get Jiri, like JG and Monahan did. Stick with what has worked...

Swap Ferland for Frolik.

Frolik would be a fantastic fit, Bennett and Ferland get Jiri, like JG and Monahan did. Stick with what has worked...

Would prefer to see this to start.

Gaudreau, Monahan, Hudler

Ferland, Bennett, Frolik

Bouma, Backlund, Jorris

Bollig, Stajan, Jones

Spares: Raymond and Byron

Very intresting becuase this is also the 2nd time this preseason he has called out Wotherspoon. Told him earlier he need to not play as "nice" and now this. this is part of the reason I've never been a big fan of Spoon even in his draft year. Doesn't play with any edge in any shape of the word. Really tough to find a niche in the NHL as a defensive dman (which he has to be) if you play with Zero edge. I'm not asking him to plow guys through the boards, but you need an edge.

I usually don't like being dramatic, but this is becoming a huge year for Wotherspoons future. I'm not pushing any panic button becuase as i've said before he was finally healthy in camp but he's been passed now and more talent is coming. He needs to really take a step forwrad this year in the A to put himself back on the radar or he'll probably be out of this organization pretty quickly (pretty sure he'll be waiver eligible next year).

I would have to say Wotherspoon isn't long for remaining in the Flames organization. I would look for him to be a throw in with some trade deal.

Would prefer to see this to start.

Gaudreau, Monahan, Hudler

Ferland, Bennett, Frolik

Bouma, Backlund, Jorris

Bollig, Stajan, Jones

Spares: Raymond and Byron

I would have to say Wotherspoon isn't long for remaining in the Flames organization. I would look for him to be a throw in with some trade deal.

Call it the Sven treatment.  Call out the things you don't like and see if the player folds or steps up.  Spoon's softness is his worst trait.  He showed some grit against Winnipeg, but not enough IMHO.  He needs to be a leader in Stockton to shine now.

Shore cleared waivers and has been assigned to Stockton. That's good news in my opinion. He should be very good in the AHL and he is a decent call up option.

Glad to hear that.  Now, I hope somebody else gets waived.....

Call it the Sven treatment.  Call out the things you don't like and see if the player folds or steps up.  Spoon's softness is his worst trait.  He showed some grit against Winnipeg, but not enough IMHO.  He needs to be a leader in Stockton to shine now.

Glad to hear that.  Now, I hope somebody else gets waived.....

Wotherspoon may simply not have it in his nature. From what I have seen of him (not a lot ) he plays a positionally sound game and is a stay at home type defenseman. If you listen to Hartley and I'm sure BT does, they likely look to unload him.

Wotherspoon may simply not have it in his nature. From what I have seen of him (not a lot ) he plays a positionally sound game and is a stay at home type defenseman. If you listen to Hartley and I'm sure BT does, they likely look to unload him.

Spoon and Kulak are probably equal in the D-zone; Spoon probably has a bit of an edge there.  Spoon is lacking in stepping up on the rush, which is absolutely required if playing on a pair with Engelland.  Kulak is also known for having a decent point shot.  Watching Spoon, I was disappointed that he wristed shots at the net from the point.  That is not going to come close to fooling a NHL goalie.

I agree that may be the case.  A good prospect D but not really fitting in well with the Flames.  If he's going to be a shut-down D he's got to be physical, which Wotherspoon isn't.  Seiloff probably fits that bill a lot better assuming he can continue to get his game back.  He sounds a lot like I've been reading about Reinhart now with the Oilers....?  In any case, could be a good part of a trade package, including 1-2 other guys on the edge here for an upgrade, prospect or picks.

I agree that may be the case.  A good prospect D but not really fitting in well with the Flames.  If he's going to be a shut-down D he's got to be physical, which Wotherspoon isn't.  Seiloff probably fits that bill a lot better assuming he can continue to get his game back.  He sounds a lot like I've been reading about Reinhart now with the Oilers....?  In any case, could be a good part of a trade package, including 1-2 other guys on the edge here for an upgrade, prospect or picks.

Agreed

RFshFZps_bigger.jpegWes GilbertsonVerified account@SUNGilbertson 18m18 minutes ago

#Flames have released D Ryan Wilson from PTO. Brett Kulak cracks roster, and looking more and more likely Flames will start with 3 goalies.

1 retweet1 favorite

Retweet [/size]

Favorit [/size]

More

Saw this moments ago as well. Wilson made me nervous in my opinion. I like this move and I like what it says to the prospects in our system. Work hard, play hard, and the opportunity will be there. I'd take kulak at age 21 over Wilson at age 29 for third pairing all day. Both will make some mistakes, but kulak has longer term potential

Might be a sign that they carry 3 goalies, still hate that personally, but I think it's also a sign that smid is getting close. He's been cleared for contact and has not been wearing no contact jerseys in practice. Maybe they do a conditioning stint with him or something but we the way Kulak has played to fill in for Brodie, and the contracts already in place Wilson didn't fit. He also didn't play fantastic IMO so I agree with letting him go especially if smid is close to healthy.

Might be a sign that they carry 3 goalies, still hate that personally, but I think it's also a sign that smid is getting close. He's been cleared for contact and has not been wearing no contact jerseys in practice. Maybe they do a conditioning stint with him or something but we the way Kulak has played to fill in for Brodie, and the contracts already in place Wilson didn't fit. He also didn't play fantastic IMO so I agree with letting him go especially if smid is close to healthy.

Hartley sort of hinted that they hadn't talked to the goalies yet, and they would before telling the media anything.  If Hiller was part of the opening day roster, why hasn't he played recently?

Granlund or Raymond or Byron need to go if they carry 3 goalies.  Once Smid is back, they have to cut a goalie or only have 13 forwards.

Hartley sort of hinted that they hadn't talked to the goalies yet, and they would before telling the media anything. If Hiller was part of the opening day roster, why hasn't he played recently?

Maybe they needed to see the other two one more time to decide who stays and who goes out of Ramo and Ortio.

Hartley sort of hinted that they hadn't talked to the goalies yet, and they would before telling the media anything.  If Hiller was part of the opening day roster, why hasn't he played recently?

Granlund or Raymond or Byron need to go if they carry 3 goalies.  Once Smid is back, they have to cut a goalie or only have 13 forwards.

Buying a few more days time.

One more day to finalize any waiver exchanges or trades, then we'll know for certain.  Its been fun, and many Flames prospects really stepped up, e.g. Kulak, Andersson, Kylington, Hathaway, Mangiapanne and etc, while the only one that I can think of that did poorly was Kanzig.  Wotherspoon was better but still needs more, we'll see if he can make the adjustment.

One more day to finalize any waiver exchanges or trades, then we'll know for certain.  Its been fun, and many Flames prospects really stepped up, e.g. Kulak, Andersson, Kylington, Hathaway, Mangiapanne and etc, while the only one that I can think of that did poorly was Kanzig.  Wotherspoon was better but still needs more, we'll see if he can make the adjustment.

Ramo/Hiller on the opening night roster, with Ramo to start (confirmed by Hartley).  Ortio is 3rd in the depth chart.

Archived