2015 Free Agency

phoenix66

I suggested a trade for the rights to Boedker in another thread. With plenty of cap space and the need for numerous contracts, I think Arizona would be willing to trade him for serviceable pieces on various contracts. I can't remember the specifics but I continue to consider it. What would it take to trade for and then sign Boedker?

To CGY

Boedker (sign for 5 years at 3.5 - 4 mil per)

2016 2nd round pick

2016 conditional pick

To ARI

Raymond or Jones

Engelland or Smid

Granlund

Rights to Byron

Conditional 2016 pick

Calgary needs to shed salary in the near future and needs to shed contracts now. Moving two big contracts makes room for signing both Boedker and Hamilton. Moving 4 contracts/RFA rights frees up contract space. Arizona can handle taking back 2 larger contracts with 2 smaller ones in order to fill contracts and get closer to the cap floor. They also add serviceable pieces with upside plus some veteran presence but also youthful energy and potential.

Calgary gets an extra pick with a pick swap, they get a top 6 RW, and to me this trade, or similar, fills needs on both sides of the equation. Calgary is moving pieces that are either redundant or moveable without leaving enormous holes not filled by the trade and Phoenix is filling multiple holes without creating a hole (Jones or Raymond basically replace Boedker on the second line).

Thoughts or adjustments? Cross?

I'm not sure why Airzona would want those contracts and where they gain here. Why wouldn't they sign Bodeker rather thank take on all that money? That's the angle I can't get in your deal because if I'm Arizona I would rather just sign Bodeker and pay him 5 mill rather then take on over 6 mill in bad contracts for little benefit to me. The cap floor isn't a problem for Arizona as they cont 39 mill right now but that's only for 12 players. Just brining up some youth and a couple of guys just to fill the roster will put them over the cap floor so I'm just not seeing the benefit to Arizona to making this deal. Engelland or Smid wouldn't even play in their top 6 imo.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Usually goalues that sign two way deals aren't guys you want to run as a backup for a long stretch. If Ortio shows that he isn't ready then we are really in a tough spot. I think if Hiller is put into a position where he has to make more than 55+ starts we are in trouble.

I think Morrison needs at least half a season in the AHL before we consider him for the NHL, he has a total of 10 pro games under his belt. Wotherspoon is a fringe player at best at this point.

We have to be careful to not put guys into positions that they aren't ready for.

I am a little worried about deploying Hiller in 55+ games.  He wasn't stellar later in the season and playoffs.  Add in his expiring contract, and we are between a rock and a hard place next year season end.  Doesn't inspire confidence.  If one or both falters we are screwed.

I am fine with our current D through free agency.  Nobody worthwhile that I can see.  Trades may be a different story.  Adding a depth d-man pushes Engelland to a 6/7 and Smid to retirement (possibly) or trade.  Schlemko may be fine as a FA signing, but I would prefer to pick up a top 6 winger.  PA Parenteau may be the best "bargain" out there, for a short-term, low $$ signing, but his age may be catching up with him.  Frolik would be the best guy to land, but the cost would be high. 

If we did nothing big in FA, I would be ok.  We have excess players that are not top 6 players (Bollig, Raymond), and we have guys that should be coming up for NHL games (Poirier, Shore, Granlund, Arnold, Spoon, Morrison). 

Unloading either Jones, Raymond, Engelland for a more cost efficient piece would be a great start to free agency. I'd almost rather gamble on paying a guy like Chris Stewart the $3mill over Raymond at this point. I'd imagine the Flames tried to do most of the heavy lifting prior/during the draft in hopes to avoid the salary inflation that is the Free Agency period. I still think management has some moves in the works, wouldn't surprise me if we see Hiller or a prospect traded if the right RW option comes available. Other than that I think Flames will be fairly quiet, small moves for Stockton but I personally don't think we'll see a ton of Flames signings. 

What to do with the Flame's UFAs?

Do any of them get offered contracts?

PLAYER AGE SALARY

McGratten (33) - $750k
Potter (31) - $700k
Theissen (29) - $550K
Diaz (29) - $700k
Setoguchi (28) - $750k
Schlemko (28) - $1.275M
Ramo (28) - $2.75M

Total = $7.48M

I would hold onto Schlemko or Diaz, but I don't think both are retained. I prefer Schlemko and maybe at a lower cap hit.

Ramo doesn't really deserve more than he was at. If he could be had at 2M I would go that route and make a deal using one of the goalies who gets bested by the other two. I would sign Ramo to the same contract though.

Sign Thiessen to a BCHL or AHL(one way) to back up in the AHL.

I am assuming Hiller will be the odd man out.

What to do with the Flame's UFAs?

Do any of them get offered contracts?

PLAYER AGE SALARY

McGratten (33) - $750k
Potter (31) - $700k
Theissen (29) - $550K
Diaz (29) - $700k
Setoguchi (28) - $750k
Schlemko (28) - $1.275M
Ramo (28) - $2.75M

Total = $7.48M

I'd try to keep Schlemko (1 mil x 2 years) as 6th D and Ramo (2.5 - 3 mil x 1 year) until we know if Ortio can pull off a long stint in the NHL. That lets us move either Hiller or Ramo at the TDL.

Everybody else I consider easily expendable.

If we could land a good top 6 RW in FA, I'd consider it depending on the price. But only if we could find somewhere to ship Jones and Raymond to. Honestly though, I don't think that's essential since Hudler is good for the top line, and one of Jooris, Jones, Colborne or Poirier should be able to do a good job on the second line.

Treliving says he's got some trades in the works planned. That could have an interesting effect in a couple days.

I'd try to keep Schlemko (1 mil x 2 years) as 6th D and Ramo (2.5 - 3 mil x 1 year) until we know if Ortio can pull off a long stint in the NHL. That lets us move either Hiller or Ramo at the TDL.

Everybody else I consider easily expendable.

If we could land a good top 6 RW in FA, I'd consider it depending on the price. But only if we could find somewhere to ship Jones and Raymond to. Honestly though, I don't think that's essential since Hudler is good for the top line, and one of Jooris, Jones, Colborne or Poirier should be able to do a good job on the second line.

Treliving says he's got some trades in the works planned. That could have an interesting effect in a couple days.

By now they're in that window where they've talked to other teams so have an idea if there is interest on the market.

The only 1 I'm interested in retaining is Ramo as a backup. He knows that teams basically filled their spots so demand is minimal while goalies on the market will come cheap.

Go 1-1.5 (price for a decent backup) on a 1 year, 2 way contract. He'd still need to clear waivers but if he flubs his role we won't care if we lose him while few teams will want him as he fills in while Ortio is up.

If he signs @ that price he's saved moving costs. If he hesitates BT goes shopping.

We have Hiller for another year unless some team is willing to trade better. Every year good goalies are available via UFA @ reasonable prices if you wait past the frenzy. In the meantime the prospects learn the pro game & are prepared when called up.

Sounds like the Flames are in talks with a few other clubs in acquiring Cody Franson. How good would our dcore be with Franson:

Gio/ Hamilton

Brodie/ Franson

Russell/Wideman

Morrison or Engleland

Don't really see how we can sign him. Including Gio's upcoming extension and Hamilton's qualifying offer, we're going to have way too much money locked up in defensemen. If we could offload Smid, Engelland, and Wideman, then we could probably afford it. I would bet he signs with the Pens to replace Martin.

Sounds like the Flames are in talks with a few other clubs in acquiring Cody Franson. How good would our dcore be with Franson:

Gio/ Hamilton

Brodie/ Franson

Russell/Wideman

Morrison or Engleland

The flames are going to become the Toronto blue jays of the NHL. They'll be linked to everyone out there but never actually acquire anyone they are linked to because all of their acquisitions will be under the radar.

No way Franson fits. Not unless they are planning to trade Gio which I don't think is happening.

Looking like we are indeed in on Franson - http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/788193

I am torn.  I really like Franson.  I think he is under rated in his two way play and I think we could provide him with a partner that would allow him to excel.  I prefer Franson to Wideman based on the Flames timeline.  Especially since we could get the former for just cash and then trade Wideman for a reasonable return.  

I just don't know if we can afford it.  Going into next season we probably have the most expensive D in the NHL.  With Giordano and Russell owed new contracts it is possible we end up with half of our cap allocated to the D the following season.  

Maybe if if you can replace Engelland and Smid with cheaper guys.  I also not entirely sold on Russell.  I love the guy, I just don't know if he is going to be worth his price tag.  If you are talking about a top 4 of Giordano, Franson, Hamilton, and Brodie supported by cheaper players on the bottom pairing then you can get that cap hit under 30-million and it becomes realistic.  But then you are talking about moving out Wideman, Engelland, Smid, and Russell in the next two seasons and that might be tough.  

Don't really see how we can sign him. Including Gio's upcoming extension and Hamilton's qualifying offer, we're going to have way too much money locked up in defensemen. If we could offload Smid, Engelland, and Wideman, then we could probably afford it. I would bet he signs with the Pens to replace Martin.

We have 20+ million in cap space, Gio gets 3 more, Hamilton say 6.5 that leaves 11+ left. Smid moves to LTI and you open up 3.5 more. Next season you have jones, hudler move out  Wideman, Engeland to open 15+ million, it is all manageable.  Signing Franson would be the new replacement of Wideman. Hamilton will be your next franchise stud in 3 years, who replaces Gio. I can see HUds and Jones beign moved at the TD this year for picks. If BT gets Franson, you could see Wideman moved in a trade shortly there after.

We have 20+ million in cap space, Gio gets 3 more, Hamilton say 6.5 that leaves 11+ left. Smid moves to LTI and you open up 3.5 more. Next season you have jones, hudler move out  Wideman, Engeland to open 15+ million, it is all manageable.  Signing Franson would be the new replacement of Wideman. Hamilton will be your next franchise stud in 3 years, who replaces Gio. I can see HUds and Jones beign moved at the TD this year for picks. If BT gets Franson, you could see Wideman moved in a trade shortly there after.

I like the idea of Franson, he seems like a solid 2nd pair D and would fit well with the Flames.  Plus he is younger which is also a good thing.  Of course we would need to move out some D but that needs to be done anyways.  If you can get Franson for $s only we could afford to off-load several D and the return would not be so critical, with picks perhaps being the most attractive.

With Washington losing Green they might be very interested in Wideman, who's similar.  And last year at the TDL it was widely reported that the Penguins had an interest in Russell, and with them losing Martin they may be even more in need.  Still think Smid goes to LTIR and that leaves Engelland.

I am torn.  I really like Franson.  I think he is under rated in his two way play and I think we could provide him with a partner that would allow him to excel.  I prefer Franson to Wideman based on the Flames timeline.  Especially since we could get the former for just cash and then trade Wideman for a reasonable return.  

I just don't know if we can afford it.  Going into next season we probably have the most expensive D in the NHL.  With Giordano and Russell owed new contracts it is possible we end up with half of our cap allocated to the D the following season.  

Maybe if if you can replace Engelland and Smid with cheaper guys.  I also not entirely sold on Russell.  I love the guy, I just don't know if he is going to be worth his price tag.  If you are talking about a top 4 of Giordano, Franson, Hamilton, and Brodie supported by cheaper players on the bottom pairing then you can get that cap hit under 30-million and it becomes realistic.  But then you are talking about moving out Wideman, Engelland, Smid, and Russell in the next two seasons and that might be tough.  

I could see it and agree they would likely move out Wideman. We have to be way better defensively and if Franson provides that within his two way game great. Can Franson be had for 4.6M per season ?

I could see it and agree they would likely move out Wideman. We have to be way better defensively and if Franson provides that within his two way game great. Can Franson be had for 4.6M per season ?

I'm betting he pushes for 5. I know he wanted North of that with the Leafs, but it's the Leafs so who doesn't want extra money to stay there? 

I'm not overly sold that Franson is great. He's got a wicked wrist shot that he can send through traffic and get shots on net, or allow for tips, etc... However he's quite slow on his feet. He gets caught far too often being flat footed and then trying to chase down a rush. When he was a Leaf last year and paired with Dion,...that's 2 guys wearing cement shoes on your back end...it doesn't make for great defensive plays if either is caught out of position or if the opposition just skates around them.

Franson is an ok player - but definitely needs to work on his foot speed.

I'll believe it when I see it because as I said the Flames are going to be linked to a lot of people. As he has said many times Treliving basically calls on everyone and everything because he wants to know everything, not just what they are thinking but what are other teams thinking. Because of that I think you'll see the Flames come up in a lot of rumors and reports but I think if its a player they truly want you want hear anything just like the Hamilton deal.

As far as the player I'm not overly interested. I agree with above that Franson is a ok-good player that I personally don't' think is an upgrade over Wideman. I get the idea of signing Franson and trading Wideman and if Franson's price would come in under 5, maybe 4.5, then I would have some interest but I'm still not jumping on it. I think he'll wind up getting close to 5 mill or more and that's not a price tag I'm comfortable with. Franson just isn't solid enough in his own zone for me to target heavily. The Flames are well stacked in puck movers, Brodie, Gio, Hamilton, Wideman etc but I'm fearing we are giving up a bit on defensive play and sound play in their own zone to get that.

I'll believe it when I see it because as I said the Flames are going to be linked to a lot of people. As he has said many times Treliving basically calls on everyone and everything because he wants to know everything, not just what they are thinking but what are other teams thinking. Because of that I think you'll see the Flames come up in a lot of rumors and reports but I think if its a player they truly want you want hear anything just like the Hamilton deal.

As far as the player I'm not overly interested. I agree with above that Franson is a ok-good player that I personally don't' think is an upgrade over Wideman. I get the idea of signing Franson and trading Wideman and if Franson's price would come in under 5, maybe 4.5, then I would have some interest but I'm still not jumping on it. I think he'll wind up getting close to 5 mill or more and that's not a price tag I'm comfortable with. Franson just isn't solid enough in his own zone for me to target heavily. The Flames are well stacked in puck movers, Brodie, Gio, Hamilton, Wideman etc but I'm fearing we are giving up a bit on defensive play and sound play in their own zone to get that.

After getting Dougie, I am less worried about defense short-term.  Wideman is a Flame.  We have five top-4 d-men.  If we signed Franson, it means that Wideman is likely being traded, since they are similar risk/reward players.  Franson is only a better pick due to his age.  

If we opted to trade Wideman, I would only do it for a BPA situation.  If the BPA is a LW, so be it.  If it is a shut-down D-man and some prospects, so be it.  Teams that lose out in FA will start calling teams about trades, since their GM's need to hit home-runs.

Or we hold onto the asset, and trade at TDL for mad stacks.

I'd take a gamble on Mike Richards for face offs and if he returns to old form and also Chris Stewart or Cody hodson depending on terms . Nothing too big because of fact next year is a big resigning period with gio,mony, johny and huds..

A few years ago I was pretty big n Franson but that's faded.

If it's roughly the same $s I'd rather keep Wideman then sign Franson.

My top 3 UFA choices would be:

Michael Neuvirth: Solid 1B/backup goalie who can start in a pinch, should be cheap.

John Moore: big, mobile and only 24, solid depth defenseman.

Brad Boyes: former 40 goal scorer, still can put up 15-20 goals, cheap.

I do like Boyes, but if it came down to signing him I would pass. I think Jones, Colborne or even Porier could produce at the same level and all bring a similar game.

I do like John Moore though but would prefer Schlemko just because of the system fit. If they don't re sign Schlemko I would love to give Moore a shot. Really good looking skater and Hartley's system seems to do a good job of highlighting good puck moving skating dman and minimizing their defensive deficiencies.

My list is short that I'm interested in:

1) Kari Ramo. If you can get him for 3.5 or less on a 3 year deal or less I'm interested in him coming back.

2) If above doesn't work then get Michael Neuvirth. 2 year 2.5 mill per.

3) Michael Frolik - depending on contract. Less then 4 years and 4 mill per I'm interested.

4) Chris Stewart - only on a 1 year deal though.

5) John Moore - reasons said above

6) Coby Robak - I always like him in junior and early on in Florida. Wonder if you can get a deal here that adds depth a the AHL level and another callup option.

Archived