2015 Free Agency

phoenix66

Didnt see another thread specifically for this:,  but now that the draft is over, time to focus on Free Agency.

I believe its safe to say we no longer have to target high end defensemen. So who do we go after ?

Outside of depth moves, what do we feel the need is for right now, without upsetting the flow of the "rebuild", another acceleration if you will like we did with Hamilton.

Some names I wouldn't mind seeing us go after :

Drew Stafford(RW)-- still only 29, we saw what having a skilled RW did for Johnny and Monahan, providing the same for Bennett could give us a rerun on the 2nd line. if he could be had for about 3 yrs he'd be an improvement to our depth chart at RW

Michael Frolik(RW)-- see above , but only 27, teams keep seeming to want to dump him , but hes responsible, played an active role in a Chicago Cup , could be an even better choice than Stafford and would likely be cheaper if given a longer term

These are about the only 2 players who initially jump at me id be wiling to slightly overpay (as is the rule on July 1) and wont do damage to our timelines, and will provide impact . Also allowing us to use Jooris and Jones more effectively while giving Bennett a higher end winger 

Thoughts?.. other names?

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

P.A. Parenteau was just put on waivers to start the process of buying him out, he could be an alright pick up and should be cheap, a one year show me that there is something left deal should get it done.

id be ok wit him as a late tryout style signing (eg: Setogouchi), but have a feeing somebody will overppay on July 1 for him.. more than a 1mill 1yr show me as you mentioned would make it risky on a 32 yr old who been declining

I dont want to go after anyone in free agency, looking back at last summers acquisition's makes me think we're better off staying put and seeing whos ready to take the next step in the system...

No more Englyands or Raymonds thanks, i want to see Poirer and Arnold!

yes , but remember last summer Treliving admittedly didnt know what we had in the system , as well.. players won the spots over the vets. that needs to keep happening.

I think BT knows we dont need to sign "filler" now, but at the same time Poirer and Arnold have not earned spots yet.. if we can sign players who move into the top 2-3 at their positions, then everybody just gets better . Just the 2 players i mentioned would be likely 2nd line players(we wouldn't get both , if we get one at all) and the players you mentioned will be breaking in further down the chain 

Plus , we likely have only one more year of Jones

yes , but remember last summer Treliving admittedly didnt know what we had in the system , as well.. players won the spots over the vets. that needs to keep happening.

I think BT knows we dont need to sign "filler" now, but at the same time Poirer and Arnold have not earned spots yet.. if we can sign players who move into the top 2-3 at their positions, then everybody just gets better . Just the 2 players i mentioned would be likely 2nd line players(we wouldn't get both , if we get one at all) and the players you mentioned will be breaking in further down the chain

Plus , we likely have only one more year of Jones

I think it is really important to plan for the young guys to not make it and hope that they do. I think writing guys like Poirier and Arnold into the lineup today is a mistake. Poirier didn't look ready in the games he got into this year, he looked tentative and little lost. Hopefully they come into camp and steal a spot, but it would be a mistake for the team and the players development to just give them a spot because they have talent.

At forward we are currently sitting at:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Hudler

Bennett-Backlund-Colborne

Raymond-Stajan-Jones

Ferland-Bouma-Shore

Bollig-Jooris

I would love to find a RW to take Colborne's spot and move him into Raymond's spot.  Frolik would fit that spot really nicely if he can be had for the right contract.  Chris Stewart is another guy to consider.  I know he has had a rocky road, but he still checks a lot of boxes and he could potentially be had on a 1 year prove it deal.  

I've heard that Stafford and Winnipeg are trying to work a deal out there (Though it was a while ago I read that)

Frolik I would take a gamble on. I'll admit I haven't actively followed him, but every game I've watched with him, he works hard, is fast, kills penalties and he is a pretty consistant 40 point/full year player who is a + player, he's only had 2 years where he wasn't a + player (one of his 3 years in Florida, and 1 of his 3 years in Chicago). That seems to speak that he tends to be on the right side of the puck going in more often then not, and chips in consistantly from a middle 6 role.

I've heard that Stafford and Winnipeg are trying to work a deal out there (Though it was a while ago I read that)

Frolik I would take a gamble on. I'll admit I haven't actively followed him, but every game I've watched with him, he works hard, is fast, kills penalties and he is a pretty consistant 40 point/full year player who is a + player, he's only had 2 years where he wasn't a + player (one of his 3 years in Florida, and 1 of his 3 years in Chicago). That seems to speak that he tends to be on the right side of the puck going in more often then not, and chips in consistantly from a middle 6 role.

The Jets are in talks with their pending UFAs. The order of importance on the wingers I'm getting from reading between the lines & radio shows is Frolik, Stafford & then any of Tlusty, Slater or Stempniuk as fall back signing(s) if they don't land the 2 main guys.

For the top 2 I figure Chevy will offer 3 years term but just a reasonable hit. The other 3 are now filler so he can offer low term & $s.

Frolik seems to have chemistry with the guys in the Jets top 6 so is the priority.

I liked the Setoguchi signing last year. It keeps the young guys honest and I like staying with the philosophy of earned, not given. When you sign a guy like Setoguchi it creates a desire to compete amongst everybody. Not that I'm saying that our guys need to be kept in check but still. It's human nature to sometimes become complacent.  

With that being said, I would absolutely welcome a one year deal for anywhere between 2.5-4 million for any one of Mike Richards, Parenteau, Chris Stewart or Drew Stafford etc. If any of these guys get better deals elsewhere, good for them. 

In any event, you don't lose anything by doing this. If it doesn't work out, throw the guy into the minors. If it does work out it means the signing is earning his keep and is outcompeting the next guy, which is good for the on ice results.

Didnt see another thread specifically for this:,  but now that the draft is over, time to focus on Free Agency.

I believe its safe to say we no longer have to target high end defensemen. So who do we go after ?

Outside of depth moves, what do we feel the need is for right now, without upsetting the flow of the "rebuild", another acceleration if you will like we did with Hamilton.

Some names I wouldn't mind seeing us go after :

Drew Stafford(RW)-- still only 29, we saw what having a skilled RW did for Johnny and Monahan, providing the same for Bennett could give us a rerun on the 2nd line. if he could be had for about 3 yrs he'd be an improvement to our depth chart at RW

Michael Frolik(RW)-- see above , but only 27, teams keep seeming to want to dump him , but hes responsible, played an active role in a Chicago Cup , could be an even better choice than Stafford and would likely be cheaper if given a longer term

These are about the only 2 players who initially jump at me id be wiling to slightly overpay (as is the rule on July 1) and wont do damage to our timelines, and will provide impact . Also allowing us to use Jooris and Jones more effectively while giving Bennett a higher end winger 

Thoughts?.. other names?

I'll have to check the Free Agency lists.  Personally I'm thinking make another major trade like the last for a power RW, then perhaps a couple minor adds if needed.

At the same time we could look to trade some key pieces (Hudler, Wideman) to get younger but the deal would have to be right as they are very valuable to the Flames at the moment and likely for the next few years.

I think we should wait and see what the team has to pay Giordano, Hamilton and possibly even Hudler before running out and signing a FA. I will go in the Stewart camp with the suggested 1 year prove myself deal but I doubt that get him. Also it is becoming obvious maybe that from here a signing or trade has to be a long term piece. We will see.

At forward we are currently sitting at:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Hudler

Bennett-Backlund-Colborne

Raymond-Stajan-Jones

Ferland-Bouma-Shore

Bollig-Jooris

I would love to find a RW to take Colborne's spot and move him into Raymond's spot.  Frolik would fit that spot really nicely if he can be had for the right contract.  Chris Stewart is another guy to consider.  I know he has had a rocky road, but he still checks a lot of boxes and he could potentially be had on a 1 year prove it deal.  

I am hoping that Colborne learned a bit about the NHL playing in the playoffs. He had glimmers of hope when he got angry and used his size. He does protect the puck well, and if he can learn how to play the front of the net that would be great! Net presence is exactly what we need. 

P.A. Parenteau was just put on waivers to start the process of buying him out, he could be an alright pick up and should be cheap, a one year show me that there is something left deal should get it done.

Apparently so was LAK Mike Richards

http://lakingsinsider.com/2015/06/28/reports-richards-on-waivers-2/

Tough to justify it with all of our cap space, but I would be totally fine with a buy-out.

Tough to justify it indeed. I don't think I would buy him out, just rather send him into the minors.

In terms of UFAs, Boedker is interesting. Treliving had a good look at him during his Coyotes days and he could have an interest there. That said, I'd like to dangle the carrot in front of Poirier and let him know if he can outplay Jones, then he's pretty much defacto 2nd line RW. We've also got Colborne who can play RW already.

Boedker is an RFA peeps.

I hope, and expect really, that this will be a quiet FA period for the flames. I could see trades happening but there just isn't much out there of interest to me. I don't mind the idea of Stewart on a one year deal either, nor do I mind frolik but only if you can keep it to 3 years and under 4 mill and I would be surprised if that is the case. Outside of that I think they are going to need a dman or two as depth, especially if they don't bring back Schlemko as well as someone who can play the potter role between the AHL/NHL.

Other than that I'd rather let the youth of his team battle for spots and try and improve via trades. Goalie has to get figured out and I have interest if Michael Neurvirth if they can't bring back Ramo.

Boedker is an RFA peeps.

I hope, and expect really, that this will be a quiet FA period for the flames. I could see trades happening but there just isn't much out there of interest to me. I don't mind the idea of Stewart on a one year deal either, nor do I mind frolik but only if you can keep it to 3 years and under 4 mill and I would be surprised if that is the case. Outside of that I think they are going to need a dman or two as depth, especially if they don't bring back Schlemko as well as someone who can play the potter role between the AHL/NHL.

Other than that I'd rather let the youth of his team battle for spots and try and improve via trades. Goalie has to get figured out and I have interest if Michael Neurvirth if they can't bring back Ramo.

Just curious why you would want to keep bringing in depth guys at goal and D rather than at this stage of a rebuild start to spot in our emerging talent. I think they bring back Schlemko whick basically fills out the required D on the roster and they still need to deal with Smid. If they don't bring back Ramo why not go with Ortio ? Upfront there is no real need to go outside at all but to have a higher experience level for RW.

We should put Raymond on waivers to see if anyone will help us take him off our hands

Why not take him into camp and sort everything out from there ?

Just curious why you would want to keep bringing in depth guys at goal and D rather than at this stage of a rebuild start to spot in our emerging talent. I think they bring back Schlemko whick basically fills out the required D on the roster and they still need to deal with Smid. If they don't bring back Ramo why not go with Ortio ? Upfront there is no real need to go outside at all but to have a higher experience level for RW.

Why not take him into camp and sort everything out from there ?

Because the flames don't really have great depth in terms of guy that can stay in the AHL but could be called up if necessary. Same role they had Corey Potter for so specifically a RH shot depth dman.

If you run with just Ortio and hiller what happens if there is an injury? What if Ortio can't handle the NHL on a full time basis. Have to be prepared for that and I don't think it's smart that 3rd on the depth chart would be a guy fresh out if college. You need more depth in goal it's way to critical.

Because the flames don't really have great depth in terms of guy that can stay in the AHL but could be called up if necessary. Same role they had Corey Potter for so specifically a RH shot depth dman.

If you run with just Ortio and hiller what happens if there is an injury? What if Ortio can't handle the NHL on a full time basis. Have to be prepared for that and I don't think it's smart that 3rd on the depth chart would be a guy fresh out if college. You need more depth in goal it's way to critical.

Depends what you are trying to accomplish as an organization. use Wotherspoon or Morrison and see what they have, give them some experience. Could we not sign a back up goalie on a two way deal and have him in AHL ?

Depends what you are trying to accomplish as an organization. use Wotherspoon or Morrison and see what they have, give them some experience. Could we not sign a back up goalie on a two way deal and have him in AHL ?

Usually goalues that sign two way deals aren't guys you want to run as a backup for a long stretch. If Ortio shows that he isn't ready then we are really in a tough spot. I think if Hiller is put into a position where he has to make more than 55+ starts we are in trouble.

I think Morrison needs at least half a season in the AHL before we consider him for the NHL, he has a total of 10 pro games under his belt. Wotherspoon is a fringe player at best at this point.

We have to be careful to not put guys into positions that they aren't ready for.

I suggested a trade for the rights to Boedker in another thread. With plenty of cap space and the need for numerous contracts, I think Arizona would be willing to trade him for serviceable pieces on various contracts. I can't remember the specifics but I continue to consider it. What would it take to trade for and then sign Boedker?

To CGY

Boedker (sign for 5 years at 3.5 - 4 mil per)

2016 2nd round pick

2016 conditional pick

To ARI

Raymond or Jones

Engelland or Smid

Granlund

Rights to Byron

Conditional 2016 pick

Calgary needs to shed salary in the near future and needs to shed contracts now. Moving two big contracts makes room for signing both Boedker and Hamilton. Moving 4 contracts/RFA rights frees up contract space. Arizona can handle taking back 2 larger contracts with 2 smaller ones in order to fill contracts and get closer to the cap floor. They also add serviceable pieces with upside plus some veteran presence but also youthful energy and potential.

Calgary gets an extra pick with a pick swap, they get a top 6 RW, and to me this trade, or similar, fills needs on both sides of the equation. Calgary is moving pieces that are either redundant or moveable without leaving enormous holes not filled by the trade and Phoenix is filling multiple holes without creating a hole (Jones or Raymond basically replace Boedker on the second line).

Thoughts or adjustments? Cross?

Usually goalues that sign two way deals aren't guys you want to run as a backup for a long stretch. If Ortio shows that he isn't ready then we are really in a tough spot. I think if Hiller is put into a position where he has to make more than 55+ starts we are in trouble.

I think Morrison needs at least half a season in the AHL before we consider him for the NHL, he has a total of 10 pro games under his belt. Wotherspoon is a fringe player at best at this point.

We have to be careful to not put guys into positions that they aren't ready for.

I understand what you are saying about the two way goalie not being your ideal backup positioning however you are providing yourself the go forward objective (Ortio) the chance to form a tandem with Hiller and take over in 2016/17. I agree that injuries may occur to the two regulars but usually not at the same time.

In regards to our defense isn't this the opportune time to give both Wotherspoon and Morrison some exposure to NHL play at a lesser role on the last pairing throughout the year ?

Archived