Suggestion: Ryan O'Reilly

ABC923

Interesting that RoR contract appears to be structured mostly on signing bonuses:

What's the impact/merit of this?  Is it a way to circumvent the salary cap?  Does it facilitate a buyout later on?

Is someone going to get their hand slapped?

According to Elliotte Friedman:

ROR contract very interesting. Salary is $1M per year. Rest is signing bonus: 10, 8, 7.5, 5, 5, 5 and 5.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

O'Reilly has been charged with impaired driving and leaving the scene of an accident after hitting a Tim Hortons on last Thursday. Impaired carries a criminal record which makes it a little difficult to cross the border for work or otherwise. Oh-oh Buffalo!

Glad we never got ahold of this kid.......

Well, surely Mike Richards did worse than this right?

http://m.winnipegsun.com/2015/06/30/mike-richards-investigated-for-bringing-oxycontin-across-us-border

Apparently Richards is being investigated for bringing OxyContin across the border without a prescription.

I would consider driving your truck into a Tim Horton's while impaired the worse offense.

http://m.winnipegsun.com/2015/06/30/mike-richards-investigated-for-bringing-oxycontin-across-us-border

Apparently Richards is being investigated for bringing OxyContin across the border without a prescription.

I would consider driving your truck into a Tim Horton's while impaired the worse offense.

What's interesting is Ryan O'Reilly has two contracts (his current one and his extension) and so the Sabres would have to terminate two contracts.

The Kings set the precedence with Richards, which i applaud.  I hope the Sabres terminate O'Reilly's contracts too.  This will hopefully set NHL players straight and set them on the right side of the law.

The truck was a restored 1951 Chevy. :angry:

That brought a tear to my eye. I love my classic vehicals.

Sorry, I totally read it wrong...Richards is far worse.. :blush:

Also, you have to keep in mind that the Kings wanted to be rid of Richards' contract. The Sabres just gave up a lot to acquire O'Reilly, and they just drafted and signed a contract that could set a controversial precedent. There's no way they're terminating it.

Love.

Sorry, I totally read it wrong...Richards is far worse.. :blush:

Maybe in the eyes of the law, but I think the fact that O'Reilly took his life and lives of the people in the vehicle, anyone on the road and the people in the Timmie's lives at risk, is much worse.

Also, you have to keep in mind that the Kings wanted to be rid of Richards' contract. The Sabres just gave up a lot to acquire O'Reilly, and they just drafted and signed a contract that could set a controversial precedent. There's no way they're terminating it.

Love.

Depends on how the criminal preceding hinder his ability to get a work visa.

Maybe in the eyes of the law, but I think the fact that O'Reilly took his life and lives of the people in the vehicle, anyone on the road and the people in the Timmie's lives at risk, is much worse.

Depends on how the criminal preceding hinder his ability to get a work visa.

That's true, but either way, the Kings *wanted* Richards off the books, so Richards isn't the precedent for how this will be handled.

Love.

Love.

Agreed. This isn't the first offence like this in sports. The team will back their investment. Obviously if O'Reilly is sentenced to extended time or can't travel that changes things, but I doubt either happens.

Richards would still be signed in LA if they just gave up assets for him and wanted him on the team.

You guys are kidding, right? From the sounds of things, Richards was transporting prescription drugs without a prescription, as in, he had a prescription for the drugs but forgot to bring it with him. This is an offense, but you really want to make the argument that this is worse than impaired driving? They aren't even pursuing charges against Richards.

P.S., This isn't directed at you jt, you're just the last line in this thread of the conversation.

You guys are kidding, right? From the sounds of things, Richards was transporting prescription drugs without a prescription, as in, he had a prescription for the drugs but forgot to bring it with him. This is an offense, but you really want to make the argument that this is worse than impaired driving? They aren't even pursuing charges against Richards.

P.S., This isn't directed at you jt, you're just the last line in this thread of the conversation.

That's exactly the point. The Kings wanted out of the Richards contract, and they found a way out. It's a lot of money that they don't have to pay, and it saves them a lot of cap space. Personally, I hope they get nailed for it. The accusation is absolutely negligible, and I don't think anyone would seriously argue that what he did is *worse* than a drunk driving conviction.

Still, the Sabres are absolutely not terminating that contract.

Love.

If he had a prescription, then you are right.  If he didn't, then there is a question of whether it was for use or for sale.

When traveling, many people forget to comply with the law (as in bringing the original prescription bottle/pharmacy printout), so I can understand if this is not pursued by the DA (or Crown Pros.).  If he was in possession and was not prescribed it, then it is breaking the law in the true sense.   

If he was taking the drug and driving, then it is as serious as D&D.

If he had a prescription, then you are right.  If he didn't, then there is a question of whether it was for use or for sale.

When traveling, many people forget to comply with the law (as in bringing the original prescription bottle/pharmacy printout), so I can understand if this is not pursued by the DA (or Crown Pros.).  If he was in possession and was not prescribed it, then it is breaking the law in the true sense.   

If he was taking the drug and driving, then it is as serious as D&D.

The fact that there were no charges probably means it wasn't in his system. It also indicates it was prescribed for medical use (most painkillers are taken as needed).

I know when I travel I just put any meds in a little pill box bringing only what I'll need while away from home. (None are narcotics but many pills look alike so could easily be mistaken for opiates.)

Heck, he might have only had a couple of pills (amount was never mentioned in the articles) just in case until he saw his doctor in Kenora.

I think the NHLPA is probably making a case & will put LA through the ringer.

As to precedents & the NHL's touted program for present & former players with drug &/or alchol problems we have Bob Probert, Clint Malarchuk & our own Big Ern off the top of my head.

Meanwhile (unless I missed it) LA hasn't even accussed Richards of having a substance abuse problem.

Their stance on Voynov makes this seem an obvious attempt @ cap circumvention when a possible opportunity arose.

I hope that not only is the termination overturned (& that the NHL allows a back dated buyout due to unique circumstances) but that DL & the Kings are penalized with fines/loss of draft picks as a result.

I'm sure Richards could also launch a civil suit (correct me if I'm wrong CM) for defamation or something.

This is also unlikely to sit well with other players (particularly Jeff Carter).

LA shot themselves in the foot IMO.

LA shot themselves in the foot IMO.

Boy, did they ever!  That was a desperate move.........and when it backfires there will be black smoke on DL's face.  I see LA still has $7.5M of Cap space available, the NHL probably gave them strict orders to have it available for when the league overturns LA's rash decision. 

Boy, did they ever!  That was a desperate move.........and when it backfires there will be black smoke on DL's face.  I see LA still has $7.5M of Cap space available, the NHL probably gave them strict orders to have it available for when the league overturns LA's rash decision. 

Part is probably pending the Voynov decision.

The termination doesn't stop the recapture part of ending the Richards contract. That will stay even if he is bought out as they were the only team to benifit from high $/lower cap years.

:lol:

Archived