Suggestion: Ryan O'Reilly

ABC923

He's in the last year of his contract with the Avs this year, and all indications are he is likely to walk. He signed the offer sheet with us before, so that might indicate a desire (or at least a willingness) to come to cow town. He provides pretty decent offence and won the Lady Bing last year. Has a decent 2-way game. There is no chance Colorado takes a chance on him walking away like Stastny did last year, so he could be had. The question is, at what cost? I'm thinking perhaps Backlund and a conditional first in next year's draft (only if O'reilly resigns. Thoughts?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't see O'Reilly as a huge upgrade on Backlund, certainly not worth an additional 1st round pick.

He has a little more offense than Backlund but is a softer player.

Brad Trevling has already stated that re-signing/extending Backlund is one of his priorities.

I don't see O'Reilly as a huge upgrade on Backlund, certainly not worth an additional 1st round pick.

He has a little more offense than Backlund but is a softer player.

Brad Trevling has already stated that re-signing/extending Backlund is one of his priorities.

You're joking. O'Reilly >>>>>>>>>> Backlund.

It also allows us to run a top 3 of O'Reilly, Monahan & Bennett (with Stajan in reserve).

The pick mentioned is a conditional 1st dependant on re-signing RoR. If it costs us that we are smiling as the depth @ C is enviable. If Monahan, Bennett & others become top liners faster that expected we have great trade assets to move for areas of concern.

*************************************************************************************

However, Colorado could trade a year of RoR & a conditional 1st (condition if O'Reilly doesn't re-sign with the team trading) for a lot more than Backlund & a possible mid to late 1st. (Something like a RHD from Preds or Jets for instance).

O'Reilly is better then Backlund. He is a 50+ point (versus 40) player, he has better 5 on 5, and he is healthier. But he is overrated and expensive.

If we are trading first round picks for centres I don't want another Lady Byng candidate who puts up 50 points. O'reilly is overrated.

I am not sure why ROR is considered such a great player. His stats are decent, but I have never thought that his play was amazing or that he was dominant. Perhaps it is just the particular games I watched him play.

He is big enough to play tough, he is very fast which gives the opposition fits, and he can be a demon with his net presence. Feaster had him as a #1 center for us, at the time of the offer sheet.

He has played wing often so he can play up and down the lineup. <Insert very versatile.>

I am not sure why ROR is considered such a great player. His stats are decent, but I have never thought that his play was amazing or that he was dominant. Perhaps it is just the particular games I watched him play.

Think of him as another Mony, slightly stronger on the puck, a bit more flash to his game.  With the right chemistry, he could be a dominant player.  But I would suggest that the cost to get him would be high.

The only reason I would trade him for backlund is because hes 3 years younger, and is better offenseively. But, I dont know if the money he will command in free agency, will make him worth it. I would say backlund and one of our 2nds would make this a decent trade for us. Although thats only because I see him being a great top 6 option for us, maybe playing on bennetts left side on the 2nd line, with hudler on the right. Then finding a legitimate power forward to play the right side with mony and JH, thats a pretty good top 6.

Why are people so eager to break up Gaudreau-Monahan-Hudler?  We've been crying for a legit top line for years and now that we have one, some people seem to want to do some load balancing.  I don't think it works that way.  Instead of breaking up our number one line, we should be shoring up our second line.

I like ROR's game and would trade Backlund and a 2nd round pick for him if the economics worked.  I think you're going to find that his price tag is a little too steep, especially if he finds his way onto the free agent market. 

I'm on the fence about Backlund.  He'd be an excellent 3rd line centre, but I don't believe his offensive numbers warrant putting him on the 2nd line.  That said, I believe the Flames need to play Bennett on the 2nd line at left-wing if they want to fast track his development, so we need Backlund or a suitable replacement to play centre on the second line.  (To be clear, I expect Bennett will be an excellent centre in a few years, but I don't believe he could get valuable minutes if he played centre on the third line in the immediate future) 

That line did well together throughout the season but in the playoffs they got handled quite easily. They appeared intimidated, whether they were or not only they know. Regardless of this why not move Hudler back to the 2nd line to assist the likes of Bennett and Colborne so we could have a solid 2nd line. I think you consider this if you get the right piece for the top line on RW.

Both Hudler and Gaudreau had nine points each in eleven games.  I hardly call that being handled quite easily.  And, when you have a winger that is 8th in league scoring, you don't put him on the second line.  That line has chemistry, which is REALLY hard to buy.  Think of all the years we tried to find the right players to maximize Iginla's output. 

Both Hudler and Gaudreau had nine points each in eleven games.  I hardly call that being handled quite easily.  And, when you have a winger that is 8th in league scoring, you don't put him on the second line.  That line has chemistry, which is REALLY hard to buy.  Think of all the years we tried to find the right players to maximize Iginla's output.

Johnny playing with a stump would have chemistry. Jooris, Backlund, etc. had chemistry. It doesn't matter what you call a line, as it is the minutes played that really matters. It would be hard to break up the "first" line after all they did in the regular season, but Hartley is also one to try different things to make the team better.

I don't see Backlund getting that. But if he did I agree O'Reilly contract would be better. But O'Reilly is a free agent in a year and will be expensive to acquire. Moving Backlund makes some sense. Moving him for another soft centre doesn't IMO.

Great player though.  Better than Backlund.  Like i said in threads past, i think Backlund will cost $5.25-mil-per for 5 years.  So, when you compare that to what O'Reilly might get, like $6-mil-per, then it's kind of fair value.

If Backlund gets that kind of contract I am going to lose it. ROR >>> Backlund. At the end of the day they both play out as 3rd line C - borderline 2nd line C on Cup teams. Backlund has got the most patient development and he is a good player but he has also peaked. There is no more upswing for him. 

We need to start looking at this team as a Cup Contender. Backhand is fragile and his shooting % is not of a point producer - either way as a shooter or a passer. Come on guys, Johnny G is a scorer / a playmaker / passer and that is the kind of first contract I expect for him past his RFA. 

I think ROR is better then Backlund now sure but I don't think the gap is that wide and I still think if Backlund could stay healthy they would be similar. IMO O'Reilly is very overrated. People will look at this season and suggest it as a negative outlier and that he is capable of more buy I don't agree. I think his 60-70 point seasons are the outliers.

I don't think Backlund gets 5 mill yet until be prices he can be healthy and as it stand right now O'relly is probably worth 6.5 to 7 on a UFA deal. Not worth it for the flames to look at IMO.

• 4 weeks later...

So alot of talk that he will be traded in the offseason. Does anyone think the flames take interest? Im assuming russell or wideman would be the only defenseman we would be willing to move that have value. He has played the wing before, and he has taken interest in calgary before, so what does everyone think?

I think ROR is better then Backlund now sure but I don't think the gap is that wide and I still think if Backlund could stay healthy they would be similar. IMO O'Reilly is very overrated. People will look at this season and suggest it as a negative outlier and that he is capable of more buy I don't agree. I think his 60-70 point seasons are the outliers.

I don't think Backlund gets 5 mill yet until be prices he can be healthy and as it stand right now O'relly is probably worth 6.5 to 7 on a UFA deal. Not worth it for the flames to look at IMO.

Is it worth it if he plays RW for us ? just asking because their has been talk of Bennett staying on the wing however this hasn't been decided yet. O'Reilly gives us a year to decide whether he fits C or RW or fits at all to resign him past this year. I would give up Backlund and something to find out.

The problem I would have acquiring O'Reilly to play on the wing is cost both in salary and acquisition. O'Reilly is heading towards a contract of 5.5 to 6mill per in all likelihood an that makes him a very expesensive winger. I think you can stomach that at center because of the intangibles he brings and the value on the position but if I'm paying close to 6 or over 6 for winger that better be a top line winger which I don't think O'Reilly is.

I think acquisition cost is going to make it very tough to acquire O'Reilly. Teams are going to line up with interest because good two way centers in their prime just don't become available very often. Because I don't think O'Reilly fills a critical need I'd rather use assets to address other areas and let another team overpay for him. With the eventual plan being Monahan - Bennett as 1-2 down the middle if you wanted to get to a point where you are dealing Backlund I'd much rather see him be used to address the D position or a RW that is more affordable then O'Reilly.

The problem I would have acquiring O'Reilly to play on the wing is cost both in salary and acquisition. O'Reilly is heading towards a contract of 5.5 to 6mill per in all likelihood an that makes him a very expesensive winger. I think you can stomach that at center because of the intangibles he brings and the value on the position but if I'm paying close to 6 or over 6 for winger that better be a top line winger which I don't think O'Reilly is.

I think acquisition cost is going to make it very tough to acquire O'Reilly. Teams are going to line up with interest because good two way centers in their prime just don't become available very often. Because I don't think O'Reilly fills a critical need I'd rather use assets to address other areas and let another team overpay for him. With the eventual plan being Monahan - Bennett as 1-2 down the middle if you wanted to get to a point where you are dealing Backlund I'd much rather see him be used to address the D position or a RW that is more affordable then O'Reilly.

My point was he is a good enough player to bring in for a year and decide if he better serves you as a winger or center. Next year will be used to tell us the same thing about Bennett. I don't see that as a bad position. As far as money goes O'Reilly due to the OS has been overpaid the last few seasons so maybe as a keeper BT doesn't have to go past 6M. If he doesn't stay we have bought another year for Poirier, Smith and maybe some others being considered for RW. One thing for sure would be Oreilly makes us more competitive in 2015/16.

I'm not sure Backlund and a draft pick does the deal but I would be asking.

Archived