Suggestion: Ryan O'Reilly

ABC923

People need to remember that Colorado matched an offer sheet that would have got them multiple firsts from a rebuilding team. They aren't giving him up for spare parts and second round picks.

Your first obstacle is the cost. It will cost a lot. The second obstacle is the contract. He will be one of the highest paid players on the Flames going forward, do you want to rebuild around him? The second obstacle is size and play style. He is right there with Monahan and Gaudreau as Lady Byng candidates. The fourth is term.

I really like O'Reilly, but I don't think he fits right now.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People need to remember that Colorado matched an offer sheet that would have got them multiple firsts from a rebuilding team. They aren't giving him up for spare parts and second round picks.

Your first obstacle is the cost. It will cost a lot. The second obstacle is the contract. He will be one of the highest paid players on the Flames going forward, do you want to rebuild around him? The second obstacle is size and play style. He is right there with Monahan and Gaudreau as Lady Byng candidates. The fourth is term.

All good points. You don't know the cost until you ask. As for contract it would be a 1 year commitment to find out whether he is part of the rebuild or not. Worry about the money if you want to extend him but for next year it is no different than all the other overpaid players we have taking up spots. As for the Lady Bing comment, what is the difference having Hudler vs O'Reilly play with Monahan and Gaudreau so long as they put up points. His style of play isn't anything to be afraid of IMO.

Dealing with a lot of unknowns

Same here. I'd like to add O'Reilly but the cost to acquire as we wouldn't be the only bidder & future contract do give cause to hesitate.

Most talk centers around the 'Lanche wanting @ least 1 NHL defenseman while we have none to spare.

ROR won't change the Flames enough to change from a team that squeaked into the playoffs to a SC contender. Our forward depth is managable so let's concentrate on the defense.

My point was he is a good enough player to bring in for a year and decide if he better serves you as a winger or center. Next year will be used to tell us the same thing about Bennett. I don't see that as a bad position. As far as money goes O'Reilly due to the OS has been overpaid the last few seasons so maybe as a keeper BT doesn't have to go past 6M. If he doesn't stay we have bought another year for Poirier, Smith and maybe some others being considered for RW. One thing for sure would be Oreilly makes us more competitive in 2015/16.

I'm not sure Backlund and a draft pick does the deal but I would be asking.

So you want to give up the high price Colorado is asking for to try him out for a year and then if it doesn't work then what? going to let him walk away as a UFA?

If the Flames really want O'Reilly they are better off just waiting for FA next year. Your going to give up a lot for 1 year of O'Reilly and then have him stare UFA in the face. Given how O'Reilly has handled the business aspect of his career I would be absolutely shocked if he doesn't plan to test UFA no matter what team acquires him. O'Reilly and his reps definetly know the NHL is a business and I don't see them passing up an opportunity to be a UFA at his age/skill level.

And if Dave Bolland is worth 5.5 a year, O'Reilly is worth 6 no question. I don't think you get him for less then 6 especially as a UFA.

So you want to give up the high price Colorado is asking for to try him out for a year and then if it doesn't work then what? going to let him walk away as a UFA?

If the Flames really want O'Reilly they are better off just waiting for FA next year. Your going to give up a lot for 1 year of O'Reilly and then have him stare UFA in the face. Given how O'Reilly has handled the business aspect of his career I would be absolutely shocked if he doesn't plan to test UFA no matter what team acquires him. O'Reilly and his reps definetly know the NHL is a business and I don't see them passing up an opportunity to be a UFA at his age/skill level.

And if Dave Bolland is worth 5.5 a year, O'Reilly is worth 6 no question. I don't think you get him for less then 6 especially as a UFA.

Until I see what the ask is exactly its tough to answer you. If it was Backlund and a 3rd rounder maybe I would given Backlund is replaceable and looking for a new contract also. If greed is O'Reilly's motivation then pass on him.

Until I see what the ask is exactly its tough to answer you. If it was Backlund and a 3rd rounder maybe I would given Backlund is replaceable and looking for a new contract also. If greed is O'Reilly's motivation then pass on him.

I think there is a less then 1% chance that you could get O'Reilly for Backlund and a 3rd..... I see Colorado getting better offers then that.

I agree, you aren't close at all in value.

Wotherspoon is a fringe NHL dman right now whose upside is limited and questions starting to raise whether he can even play in the NHL full time and that plus a 2nd is going to be the starting point for a good two way center with 60 point potential? Wideman, Wotherspoon and a 2nd doesn't make sense either because why would the pick up a 5.25 cap hit on a dman when they can pay O'Reilly something in the same ballpark?

Joe Sakic already said today his top priority is getting a deal done with O'Reilly so that tells me the are prepared to pay him and if you want him you are going to be paying for it. Not going to come cheap because centers like him don't become available very often.

I agree, you aren't close at all in value.

Wotherspoon is a fringe NHL dman right now whose upside is limited and questions starting to raise whether he can even play in the NHL full time and that plus a 2nd is going to be the starting point for a good two way center with 60 point potential? Wideman, Wotherspoon and a 2nd doesn't make sense either because why would the pick up a 5.25 cap hit on a dman when they can pay O'Reilly something in the same ballpark?

Joe Sakic already said today his top priority is getting a deal done with O'Reilly so that tells me the are prepared to pay him and if you want him you are going to be paying for it. Not going to come cheap because centers like him don't become available very often.

I agree with you that wotherspoon + a 2nd might be a little unfair for trading. But the only talk ive heard is on here that he wont be a NHLer, the flames are very high on him. They would make that trade because they are looking for defenseman that can play. I dont think we have that assets to make the trade, but like I said I dont think they will get a top pairing defender for him.

Why? This kid is a top 2 centre who is really good at both ends of the ice. He plays the toughest minutes on the team but he maintains positive possession and he produces offensively.

Plus he is only 24. To put that in perspective, he has put up more points then anyone in his draft class except for Taveres and Duchene.

The fourth best scorer in his draft class is Evander Kane. Look at what he brought back in a trade. And he is a winger with reported attitude issues.

Plus, Colorado turned down two first round picks when they didn't accept the Flames offer sheet in him.

You are severely underestimating O'Reillys value. Maybe they consider something like Backlund, Russell, and a first. But honestly I am not sure we have what they are looking for unless we are talking Giordano or Brodie, and O'Reilly isn't worth us trading one of them.

Why? This kid is a top 2 centre who is really good at both ends of the ice. He plays the toughest minutes on the team but he maintains positive possession and he produces offensively.

Plus he is only 24. To put that in perspective, he has put up more points then anyone in his draft class except for Taveres and Duchene.

The fourth best scorer in his draft class is Evander Kane. Look at what he brought back in a trade. And he is a winger with reported attitude issues.

Plus, Colorado turned down two first round picks when they didn't accept the Flames offer sheet in him.

You are severely underestimating O'Reillys value. Maybe they consider something like Backlund, Russell, and a first. But honestly I am not sure we have what they are looking for unless we are talking Giordano or Brodie, and O'Reilly isn't worth us trading one of them.

I think we all need to step back some here and ask what it is the team should be trying to accomplish in another year of rebuilding. I see a lot of ideas that are in the vein of trying to keep us a somewhat playoff bound team. Most of this is getting ahead of ourselves IMO. We have a number of forwards that will be wanting to make the jump and play on the team next season.

If we are making one or two significant moves I think it should be on defense. If we want to get rid of certain players not in the plans, I like what someone else suggested by obtaining picks for them as this is a deep draft.

I agree with you Kehatch, im just saying I dont think they are going to get a player like Roman Josi for O'Reilly. 

I think we all need to step back some here and ask what it is the team should be trying to accomplish in another year of rebuilding. I see a lot of ideas that are in the vein of trying to keep us a somewhat playoff bound team. Most of this is getting ahead of ourselves IMO. We have a number of forwards that will be wanting to make the jump and play on the team next season.

If we are making one or two significant moves I think it should be on defense. If we want to get rid of certain players not in the plans, I like what someone else suggested by obtaining picks for them as this is a deep draft.

I agree with you as well Mac, I personally think we need to make a move for defense and a move for a forward. Whether that be trading hudler and wideman to get younger, or whatever the case may be. I totally agree that we are still rebuilding, but at the same time we still need more depth on the RW, and from the sounds of things we wont resign hudler, that needs to be addressed.

I am not suggesting we should pursue him. I don't like the cost to acquire him, the cost to sign him, or how he fits on our team. I agree that if we are giving up those kind if assets it should be to address holes, like on D.

If we brought him on our top forwards would be O'Reilly, Monahan, Gaudreau, and Bennett. That consists of three lady Byng candidates and potentially 20+ million in our top 3 centres.

I agree with you Kehatch, im just saying I dont think they are going to get a player like Roman Josi for O'Reilly. 

I agree with you as well Mac, I personally think we need to make a move for defense and a move for a forward. Whether that be trading hudler and wideman to get younger, or whatever the case may be. I totally agree that we are still rebuilding, but at the same time we still need more depth on the RW, and from the sounds of things we wont resign hudler, that needs to be addressed.

I think we could stand to hang onto Wideman which in my mind has Hudler and Backlund as our best trade chips IMO. You take away Hudler and the focus really shifts to building up our RW. Everyone acknowledges the need for a top 4 D talent and that conversation starts with Hudler.

Losing Hudler would hurt but it also opens the door at a RW position and maybe it is time to see what Poirier has to offer up.

We tried this a couple of years ago, why does he still carry interest.  Yes he is a top 2 center but he will be redundant when Bennett makes the team this year.

Agree, we've got Centre covered, and I'm not liking O'Reilly's attitude.  He seems to be all about himself and difficult to deal with.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived