Brad Treliving - GM Tracking & Evaluation

Flame111

34 minutes ago, rickross said:

Hall is a good player for sure but he’s not a complete 2 way player. That’s what Mr Sutter commands from his players, especially his Centres where Hall occasionally plays. His defence is lacking, he’s fast but he tends to get injured to. My primary issue with Taylor is he doesn’t make the players around him better, he’s dependent on others for his scoring. Your not signing Hall for his play making ability.  I just think we need more play makers, impact players , swagger!..we need true stars on this team.  

you describe him like he is the perfect fit for Johnny. 

8 hours ago, rickross said:

Hall is a good player for sure but he’s not a complete 2 way player. That’s what Mr Sutter commands from his players, especially his Centres where Hall occasionally plays. His defence is lacking, he’s fast but he tends to get injured to. My primary issue with Taylor is he doesn’t make the players around him better, he’s dependent on others for his scoring. Your not signing Hall for his play making ability.  I just think we need more play makers, impact players , swagger!..we need true stars on this team.  

JH isn't a great 2-way player.

Hall has shown flashes of it in NJ.

Wrong fit in a tire fire, though.

I'm not proposing we go after Hall, but there are worse ones to target.

RW on JH's line hasn't found anyne with speed.

Bennett only shows it backchecking, when he committs to it.

Leivo wasn't bad, but he's still not quite right.

You need someone that can finish plays.

Transition to offense quickly.

Personally I’d put a hard pass of Hall, too much money and and he’s 30 now...gotta stay away from those players, your not getting the most for the assets you send to Buf...

I do agree, Buf has some pieces we could look at, yes Eichel and Reinhart and a few others but NOT Hall.

im still of the thoughts, we need to add by subtracting this TDL and off season,if at all possible:

Lucic 

Backlund 

Gio

Ryan

Ritter (only cause he’s paid more than he gets to play...better off paying for a lower priced backup)

One of Manji or Dube 

Simon

Levino

Gaudreau

build around:

Tachuck/Monahan/?

Manji or Dube/Lindholm/?

Phillips or Zary /Bennett/?

?/?/?

it’s clear to see RW is super bad for us. This is actually how bad the team really is built and shows the holes...

And I’ll say this time and again...

Hanifin/Tanev 

Valimaki/ ANDERSON

?/ Kylington 

Markstrom

?

clearly the strength of this team is on the D, personally that would be my focus this TDL try an land a solid fit for Kylington, someone capable of top 4 hopefully around the 4/4.5 max AAV and we could sign semi long term like 4 years.  I’d also look to trade Ritter try and land a solid back up that’s got about 2-3 years max on their contract at no more than 1.5 AAV 

this would free up a few mil for the off season and would allow BT to focus on filling those horrible holes up front...particularly on the RW need soooo much work...And a few decent bottom 6 Ctr (targeted ones though, defensive minded, can skate, can pass, check, oh and definitely they must be solid FO guys)

as for the bottom 6 LW I think both Zary and Phillips are ready slot them in soon as you can, start of next season...

sure the reset of this year we will tank but who cares...it’s a deep D draft so maybe that nabs our 6th D to play with Kylington and a few depth D prospects...or even a hidden gem...

as for FA BT has to stay the heck out of it and look for trades...

12 hours ago, robrob74 said:

you describe him like he is the perfect fit for Johnny. 

JH needs a playmaker! Swapping Gaudreau for Hall seems more like a lateral move. We’ve made enough of those kinds of transactions , now we have a team chock full of players lacking game impact. Too bad Draisatl didn’t fall to us , instead we got Bennett and he’s already on his way out. 

I think for anyone anticipating a full out rebuild...it’s not happening while Sutter is here. He didn’t come out of retirement for a rebuild, so I’d expect a moderate retooling and likely the same result from this team for the next 2 years unfortunately 

14 minutes ago, rickross said:

JH needs a playmaker! Swapping Gaudreau for Hall seems more like a lateral move. We’ve made enough of those kinds of transactions , now we have a team chock full of players lacking game impact. Too bad Draisatl didn’t fall to us , instead we got Bennett and he’s already on his way out. 

Huh?  Swapping as in a trade of the two players mentioned?

19 minutes ago, rickross said:

I think for anyone anticipating a full out rebuild...it’s not happening while Sutter is here. He didn’t come out of retirement for a rebuild, so I’d expect a moderate retooling and likely the same result from this team for the next 2 years unfortunately 

And i would say the same if someone is expecting Treliving to be gone too. He is 1 year into a what is apparently a decent $ extension and they signed Sutter to match his contract. I think they will run this partnership for at least at least another season. 

6 hours ago, rickross said:

JH needs a playmaker! Swapping Gaudreau for Hall seems more like a lateral move. We’ve made enough of those kinds of transactions , now we have a team chock full of players lacking game impact. Too bad Draisatl didn’t fall to us , instead we got Bennett and he’s already on his way out

That’s the thing! 

we missed on Baertschi and Bennett and then hit on Gaudreau, but you hit on those two and you have n elevated top6. 

Bennett being #1 or #2 C changes the whole situation if he panned out. And the thought was that he would. The org didn’t let him develop in the position... 

I seriously think Monahan is injured. He never scores when he’s injured and the team is in this precarious position of needing his goals so he plays through injury. I don’t excuse his play due to it. Personally I’d prefer he sit if he is injured. 

But a healthy, scoring Monahan would be huge.

id have trained Bennett for #1 c. I am unrealistic but think they should’ve. 

Bennett being a huge fail has really killed this teams chances.

6 hours ago, rickross said:

yup! It’s why I think it’s all hockey trades. Maybe there is a bigger deal to be had with the Flyers and it’s not just Gaudreau. 

I like to think Johnny still has value and I’d put him with Lindholm and Tkachuk for a bit to up it. Too bad we couldn’t get a Konecny and keep Johnny. He’s only 5’10” so not overly big. 

I think Johnny needs someone to pass to, to carry it on occasion so it’s not just on him, which make him easier to check. 

6 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Huh?  Swapping as in a trade of the two players mentioned?

I think they mean trade for Hall, then trade Johnny in a separate deal. 

if trading for him with what we have, I wonder if he’s the type to hold onto the puck for a bit too long? Is he a guy who can share with a Johnny? Because I see Johnny being able to play even in tight checking games, the problem is he doesn’t have other guys to carry the load. 

11 hours ago, robrob74 said:

I think they mean trade for Hall, then trade Johnny in a separate deal. 

if trading for him with what we have, I wonder if he’s the type to hold onto the puck for a bit too long? Is he a guy who can share with a Johnny? Because I see Johnny being able to play even in tight checking games, the problem is he doesn’t have other guys to carry the load. 

Nico Hischier had his best season as a rookie playing with Hall in goals, assists and points.

Dipped the next season when Hall was injured 

I believe Hall will no longer break the bank to resign. With the flat cap and his recent years his show me deal in buffalo has hurt his price 

Hall with Lindholm would be more deadly IMO than Monahan and johnny

You could almost make the argument Johnny has too, if they can actually resign him to a decent deal then id say he'd be better served as a 2nd line LW..  but I do believe this is his last season here 

I'm not calling him a defensive wizard, but he does do what Johnny wont .. he plays in the tough areas,. Will throw a check.. can assist as well as finish. 

I say Johnny wont instead of can't , because he's close to Mangiapanes size and should be capable of playing the same way 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, phoenix66 said:

Nico Hischier had his best season as a rookie playing with Hall in goals, assists and points.

I believe Hall will no longer break the bank to resign. With the flat cap and his recent years his show me deal in buffalo has hurt his price 

You could almost make the argument Johnny has too, if they can actually resign him to a decent deal then id say he'd be better served as a 2nd line LW..  but I do believe this is his last season here 

I'm not calling him a defensive wizard, but he does do what Johnny wont .. he plays in the tough areas,. Will throw a check.. can assist as well as finish. 

I say Johnny wont instead of can't , because he's close to Mangiapanes size and should be capable of playing the same way 

He's for sure not going to get $8mil but I think he'll get at least 6. At 30 years and with his injury history he's going to aim for as long of term as possible, I think he just becomes another reclaimation project which is not what this team needs right now. He's only hit 65 pts 3x in his entire career, has only 14 games of playoff experience, maybe I'm just being sour but every off season and TDL it seems everyone swoons over the idea of landing Hall.  Maybe I just dont get it.

• Like 1

Lucic and Markstrom have full NMC. Unless they choose to waive, they can’t be moved. I know Lucic is overpaid, but he brings physical play that most of the team lacks plus veteran leadership. For those who keep suggesting we move Lucic, it 99% won’t happen. Especially since he is a Sutter type player.

Backlund has a full NTC so for those calling for him to be traded, not likely to happen. He would need to waive also, and that is unlikely at best.

Monahan has a modified NMC, kicked in this summer so we missed the boat there. Giordano has a modified NTC so both are difficult to move, though possible. Gaudreau would need to be moved before July 1 because he has an upcoming modified NMC.

Ryan and Rittich are only trade fodder due to cap. Both play solid roles, just cost too much.

No need to move either of Mangiapane or Dube at this time. Both are on very reasonable contracts, both are hard nosed players. They may never be top line, but both are solid middle 6. Size is less of an issue with these 2. Don’t forget that Ty Domi was only 5’8 and fought guys like Pronger. While I wouldn’t call either Domi tough, they play closer to his style than to Gaudreau style. I would say both have Gallagher type potential.

Leivo, Simon, Rinaldo, Petrovic, Nesterov and Nordstrom can all be moved easily though for little return. They are all pieces that work during Covid with a taxi squad, but none have shown enough to be on the roster full time, and the team isn’t making it hard for someone willing to grab a spot if they can prove they deserve it (Mangiapane).

Giordano may be left exposed during the expansion draft for 2 reasons. 1 he has a Modified NTC not a NMC. Expansion is not a trade so it may be a loophole. With his higher cap hit, Seattle may steer clear. If Seattle does take him, that is big cap space cleared.

With only 23 games remaining, Flames are 4 points back of Montreal and the Habs have 2 games in hand. We play them 5 times in those games. Flames are also behind Vancouver with 4 more head to head. If Calgary loses this afternoon, Ottawa wins the season series against the Flames. Oilers have owned the Flames this year and 4 more matchups to go.

I am not seeing enough from the Flames to think they will make the playoffs, and if they do, they likely won’t go far.

Trades in season won’t change that due to cross border quarantine. Teams in Canada won’t be making big trades to help each other out in season, maybe little change of scenery type moves, but that’s it. Cross border not likely to get more than picks or prospects unless trading with other teams likely to miss playoffs.

There are few players I think the Flames should be guaranteed to keep / protect:

Markstrom / Tanev both new signings and playing very well 

Hanifin / Andersson / Valimaki all young D still growing and playing well, especially Hanifin.

Lindholm / Mangiapane / Dube young developing talent

Lucic can’t likely be moved anyways so keep the leadership.

While I like Tkachuk, he has disappeared this season either due to leadership on the team or injury. If the team could use him right now to get a big pay day, I would be ok with it.

If trades could be made, in my opinion, they would need to look at specific roles rather than players. Based on what can and likely can’t happen trade wise, the team going into the summer could look like:

?? Lindholm ??

Mangiapane Backlund??

Lucic ?? Dube

?? ?? ??

??

Hanifin Tanev

?? Andersson 

Valimaki ??

??

Markstrom 

??

So trades would be looking at 1LW, 1RW, 2RW, 2LD, 3C, 4th line and Backup G.

Not a full rebuild, but a retool for sure. Gaudreau, Monahan and Tkachuk likely see the biggest returns. Possibly fill the 3 top 6 wing holes? 

Depending on who we get in trade would affect cap space and how to fill remaining positions.

Just my thoughts.

23 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

He's for sure not going to get $8mil but I think he'll get at least 6. At 30 years and with his injury history he's going to aim for as long of term as possible, I think he just becomes another reclaimation project which is not what this team needs right now. He's only hit 65 pts 3x in his entire career, has only 14 games of playoff experience, maybe I'm just being sour but every off season and TDL it seems everyone swoons over the idea of landing Hall.  Maybe I just dont get it.

24 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

I do question myself because of wanting him. I was against Duchesne ideas, and against O’Reilly which I should probably eat crow on as he won a cup. I just thought they were both perpetually losers. maybe that is Hall? 

and liking what Phoenix said. I agree Johnny should be able to play differently. Maybe that’s where Sutter talks about size on the team, Johnny plays afraid in a few situations. 

4 hours ago, phoenix66 said:

23 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I do question myself because of wanting him. I was against Duchesne ideas, and against O’Reilly which I should probably eat crow on as he won a cup. I just thought they were both perpetually losers. maybe that is Hall? 

and liking what Phoenix said. I agree Johnny should be able to play differently. Maybe that’s where Sutter talks about size on the team, Johnny plays afraid in a few situations. 

We seem to be slipping into a trade discussion here, but whatever.  

Hall makes sense from a competing sense going forward.

It's not a really wise target for TDL.

The only thing is get to try him out for 10 games or so instead of targeting him only as a UFA.

We see what he bring to the team.

And evaluate what we have in the so called core.

Gaudreau lights it up playing with Hall, we aim to keep both and cut costs elsewhere.

Don't re-sign him until after the entry draft, as he might not want to sign in Seattle as a UFA.

He's probably tired of playing for last place teams.

Hall lights it up elsewhere on the team and Gaudreau/Monahan still just putting up okay number, we decide whether they are trades or not.

We trade one or both, then we sign and protect Hall.

Something less than 5 years if possible.

Hall gets a bit of a bad wrap.

Played on non-playoff team more than not.

EDM, NJ, ARI, BUFF.

None really proficient at scoring when he was there.

The only real question (besides cost to acquire and cost to sign) is fit.

Does he become the 2nd line LW and we move Gaudreau to off wing?

Is that a better look for us?

Is moving him to top line with Lindholm the best look?

Who plays there?

My issue is that during the season, you don't have a lot of time to find the best fit.

You try something during practice and see if it benefits the 200 foot game.

Try it out in a game or 10.

Has to make sense.

7 hours ago, robrob74 said:

I wish I could have screen shot it.. i saw a play tonight, near the front of the net, Johnny watched a puck go by him that he could have reached for , but it would have meant getting into a bit of traffic 

6 hours ago, travel_dude said:

We seem to be slipping into a trade discussion here, but whatever.  

Hall makes sense from a competing sense going forward.

It's not a really wise target for TDL.

The only thing is get to try him out for 10 games or so instead of targeting him only as a UFA.

We see what he bring to the team.

And evaluate what we have in the so called core.

Gaudreau lights it up playing with Hall, we aim to keep both and cut costs elsewhere.

Don't re-sign him until after the entry draft, as he might not want to sign in Seattle as a UFA.

He's probably tired of playing for last place teams.

Hall lights it up elsewhere on the team and Gaudreau/Monahan still just putting up okay number, we decide whether they are trades or not.

We trade one or both, then we sign and protect Hall.

Something less than 5 years if possible.

Hall gets a bit of a bad wrap.

Played on non-playoff team more than not.

EDM, NJ, ARI, BUFF.

None really proficient at scoring when he was there.

The only real question (besides cost to acquire and cost to sign) is fit.

Does he become the 2nd line LW and we move Gaudreau to off wing?

Is that a better look for us?

Is moving him to top line with Lindholm the best look?

Who plays there?

My issue is that during the season, you don't have a lot of time to find the best fit.

You try something during practice and see if it benefits the 200 foot game.

Try it out in a game or 10.

Has to make sense.

Only issue , and I've seen this a few times in a few places suggested ..

Hall would not play with Johnny except maybe on the powerplay. Both are pure LW, and bringing in a higher priced player and asking one to now play the off wing is how we get into messed like this .. if we somehow kept both, they'd be 1,2  LW 

37 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Only issue , and I've seen this a few times in a few places suggested ..

Hall would not play with Johnny except maybe on the powerplay. Both are pure LW, and bringing in a higher priced player and asking one to now play the off wing is how we get into messed like this .. if we somehow kept both, they'd be 1,2  LW 

If you play Hall with Gaudreau, it has to be Gaudreau on the off wing.

I actually think that opens up more two on ones from the pair.

Both have speed, and a last second pass to Gaudreau on the off wing is a one timer.

Johnny could set up Hall from any spot on the ice, so I don't think it matters.

In the off chance you pkay Hall with Lindholm, you just need that RW to be a decent one.

Mangiapane or Dube.

Doesn;t mater.

Right now I feel Tkachuk is dragging down the team.

Not his usual self, has arsed plays, isn't as effective going to the net.  

44 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

I wish I could have screen shot it.. i saw a play tonight, near the front of the net, Johnny watched a puck go by him that he could have reached for , but it would have meant getting into a bit of traffic 

i left after the first period was over. Went for a hike at my GF’s cabin on Vancouver Island and got to see a whole bunch of herring eggs washed up on the beach, some on seaweed. So beautiful! 

it’s really tough to watch the Flames these days. I hope they played well? A 3-1 loss sounds difficult to watch. I will go through the GDT to get a sense of how the game went. 

but that is a perfect example of how this team isn’t willing to put themselves in a tough position to score. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

If you play Hall with Gaudreau, it has to be Gaudreau on the off wing.

I actually think that opens up more two on ones from the pair.

Both have speed, and a last second pass to Gaudreau on the off wing is a one timer.

Johnny could set up Hall from any spot on the ice, so I don't think it matters.

In the off chance you pkay Hall with Lindholm, you just need that RW to be a decent one.

Mangiapane or Dube.

Doesn;t mater.

Right now I feel Tkachuk is dragging down the team.

Not his usual self, has arsed plays, isn't as effective going to the net.  

for me, haven’t players heard of a crisscross? Why do they have to always come down their same wing EVERY TIME? I think it’s another reason this offence is so dull and boring. They only play in their lanes and no crossing each other to create space.

On 3/4/2021 at 6:09 PM, robrob74 said:

I don't deny that Hartley is a good or bad coach. I just think we judge him too harshly on years where we had literally 3 or 4 NHLers on the roster. I am exaggerating but thosee team just weren't made up of good players. He did win a cup with Colorado and to dismiss that because of the players that were on the team then you have to dismiss the fact that he had horrible players on his Flames teams and got the most out of them in one year, but not the next. Which Like People, I wonder why he went away from what worked the year before. 

I don't want Hartley as a coach. You're right, the players also have their own expectations, but what happens when they can't live up to their or management's/fans' expectations?

My bet is that he'd end up like Peters and Babcock anyway, with how he would have treated players in the past. 

Straight up, I don't know the details so I'm admittedly talking out of my butt here (as most here are).  Hartley motivated players like Sutter, but had a more modern style than Sutter.   Sure he was demanding.  Funny how we're back to that style.   A little late.

"Butt",,,

If a group of players decide to defy the coach (Hartley), this is what an experienced intelligent GM would do:

1.   Did GM / management push the coach into a bad situation?  If so.   Correct that mistake.   Made by the GM.  "Win now" makes me want to puke, the damage it has done here.

Do I think this was the source of the issue?  Yeah I do.   But all I have is a hunch.

2.   Who is the ringleader?

3.   Ship that ringleader off.   Within the week.   Preferably for talented youth that isn't already self entitled.

4.   Team Meeting.  Let the players decide if there's going to be a rebuild right then and there, or if they want to make something of the team and play for their coach and City.

5.   Go with that decision.

Instead, we have a coach carosel as we repetitively look for more scapegoats for this aging self entitled core.

Do I have it all wrong?   Maybe.    But with what I see on the ice that is the assumption I come to.

On 3/4/2021 at 6:09 PM, robrob74 said:

I don't deny that Hartley is a good or bad coach. I just think we judge him too harshly on years where we had literally 3 or 4 NHLers on the roster. I am exaggerating but thosee team just weren't made up of good players. He did win a cup with Colorado and to dismiss that because of the players that were on the team then you have to dismiss the fact that he had horrible players on his Flames teams and got the most out of them in one year, but not the next. Which Like People, I wonder why he went away from what worked the year before. 

I don't want Hartley as a coach. You're right, the players also have their own expectations, but what happens when they can't live up to their or management's/fans' expectations?

My bet is that he'd end up like Peters and Babcock anyway, with how he would have treated players in the past. 

Straight up, I don't know the details so I'm admittedly talking out of my butt here (as most here are).  Hartley motivated players like Sutter, but had a more modern style than Sutter.   Sure he was demanding.  Funny how we're back to that style.   A little late.

"Butt",,,

If a group of players decide to defy the coach (Hartley), this is what an experienced intelligent GM would do:

1.   Did GM / management push the coach into a bad situation?  If so.   Correct that mistake.   Made by the GM.  "Win now" makes me want to puke, the damage it has done here.

Do I think this was the source of the issue?  Yeah I do.   But all I have is a hunch.

3.   Ship that ringleader off.   Within the week.   Preferably for talented youth that isn't already self entitled.

4.   Team Meeting.  Let the players decide if there's going to be a rebuild right then and there, or if they want to make something of the team and play for their coach and City.

Instead, we have a coach carosel as we repetitively look for more scapegoats for this aging self entitled core.

Do I have it all wrong?   Maybe.    But with what I see on the ice that is the assumption I come to.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

"Butt",,,

Do I think this was the source of the issue?  Yeah I do.   But all I have is a hunch.

Here's the strange thing about Sutter tho..

These coaches we compare him to.. Babcock, Hartley..Peter's ... All were great at motivating , and had some good success stories 

But you'll have an extremely hard time finding the ex players if theirs that have good things to say about them...

Sutter , you have difficulty finding any that have anything bad to say .

His players don't quit on him..they just eventually have nothing left to give 

The players now can be certain of one thing ..this is the last coach many of them will ever have in Calgary.. unless he doesn't extend by his own choice at the end of the 3 years 

• Like 1