Brad Treliving - GM Tracking & Evaluation

Flame111

4 hours ago, conundrumed said:

He's currently 13G/24A/37pts in 32 games.

Just sayin'.

Yeah, if he goes 0.5 points/game played the rest of the year, he still ends up at 62 points. A 60+ point shut-down winger who draws a ton of penalties (even if he does take a few) is worth good money. I highly doubt he signs for less than 7 AAV (But, I can see the contract worked out so that he is at 6.75/"The Gio Cap" for the duration of Gio's contract before he starts getting the 7.5 a year after for something that works out to a 7-7.25 AAV).

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Michael Nylander was a notoriously bad teammate. Gotta figure he was a huge factor in Willie holding out. Don’t think he would take any less here either, maybe it wouldn’t have been as big a deal since we aren’t as big a media market 

The Tkachuk negotiation won’t be easy either as he has a father who’s been through it many times 

How so?

14 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Michael Nylander was a notoriously bad teammate. Gotta figure he was a huge factor in Willie holding out. Don’t think he would take any less here either, maybe it wouldn’t have been as big a deal since we aren’t as big a media market 

The Tkachuk negotiation won’t be easy either as he has a father who’s been through it many times 

I doubt Keith gets involved in the deal.  That's what made it bad for the Nylander negotiation.

The agents are more than capable.

Too often family gets involved and the player suffers as a result.

52 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I doubt Keith gets involved in the deal.  That's what made it bad for the Nylander negotiation.

The agents are more than capable.

Too often family gets involved and the player suffers as a result.

What makes me optimistic is in several interviews I’ve seen if Keith, he reiterates constantly he wants his boys to be good teammates, maybe that means taking a bit less so they can be surrounded with a better team.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

What makes me optimistic is in several interviews I’ve seen if Keith, he reiterates constantly he wants his boys to be good teammates, maybe that means taking a bit less so they can be surrounded with a better team.

I just mean he stays out of it.

He may give advice, but he won't be a Nylander dad. 

• 7 months later...

There’s a sports writer out there talking about how the acquisition of Lucic and his anchor of a contract are a fireable offence against BT! BT has done some savvy work in the past but acquiring Lucic appears to be the worst of all his bad deals...atleast initially. 

Nothing sweet about it the contract is very bad. I don’t know who’s crazier now, the guy who offered the contract in Chiarelli or the guy who got suckered into taking it on in Treliving? 

I cant imagine a scenario where BT didn’t inquire on every possibility to move Neal, I think he just grew tired of trying to add quality toughness to the team and bit a potential poison pill to get it done. There are pros and cons to this deal, it’s just the cons are outweighing the pros at this point. Sure the trade fills a need but it’s hard to say if it makes us a better team. 

Is it a fireable offence? Time will tell!

13 minutes ago, rickross said:

There’s a sports writer out there talking about how the acquisition of Lucic and his anchor of a contract are a fireable offence against BT! BT has done some savvy work in the past but acquiring Lucic appears to be the worst of all his bad deals...atleast initially. 

Nothing sweet about it the contract is very bad. I don’t know who’s crazier now, the guy who offered the contract in Chiarelli or the guy who got suckered into taking it on in Treliving? 

I cant imagine a scenario where BT didn’t inquire on every possibility to move Neal, I think he just grew tired of trying to add quality toughness to the team and bit a potential poison pill to get it done. There are pros and cons to this deal, it’s just the cons are outweighing the pros at this point. Sure the trade fills a need but it’s hard to say if it makes us a better team. 

Do you remember Lambert from the earlier days of Flamesnation and Oilersnation?

Used to pump the Oilers and trash the Flames.

His big thing was keeping track of the Janko play in college.

He wrote a lot more for Oilersnation.

Just do a google of him and Oilersnation or Flamesnation.

1 hour ago, rickross said:

I read that article, it was hilarious how poorly it was written. I mean first of all, he stole Friedman's 31 Thoughts blog and called 31 Takes, lol. Secondly most of the facts are wrong. 

I am in the camp that is fine with this trade and think it is a minor win for Calgary.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Hindsight is 20/20!...it’s been interesting looking back at some of BT’s deals, from Mason Raymond, to Troy Brouwer (buy out) and Michael Stone (buy out), giving up a 2nd for Lazar(not resigned), signing Neal then trading Neal for Lucic (pending)...BT has made some poor decisions, and fairly consistently at that. Make no mistake I still like him as our GM and you can’t fault him for trying! We could potentially lose a player like Bennett come expansion time due to Lucic’s contract, if that happens what do you do with BT?

3 minutes ago, rickross said:

Hindsight is 20/20!...it’s been interesting looking back at some of BT’s deals, from Mason Raymond, to Troy Brouwer (buy out) and Michael Stone (buy out), giving up a 2nd for Lazar(not resigned), signing Neal then trading Neal for Lucic (pending)...BT has made some poor decisions, and fairly consistently at that. Make no mistake I still like him as our GM and you can’t fault him for trying! We could potentially lose a player like Bennett come expansion time due to Lucic’s contract, if that happens what do you do with BT?

Yeah man, he's buried more bodies than Lucky Luciano. He has improved the team significantly though. I still consider him a solid GM.

33 minutes ago, rickross said:

I think worrying about the expansion draft this soon is a waste of time.

Why would he re-intsate the NMC if there wasn;t some understanding between the player and GM.

For now, it provides stanility for Lucic.

No going to the AHL. 

No trade without consent.

In two years, what will Lucic want?

BT can decide what to do then.

Ask him to waive to expise him knowing he won;t get claimed.

No skin off Lucic's nose.

AT worst, buy him out at a painfull cap hit, but cheap actual dollar cost.

4 hours ago, sak22 said:

On the flip side, can anybody imagine what type of cap situation we'd be in if he went 1 year on Lindholm.  Some bad signings for sure, but thats the risk of doing business on July 1, who is actually a good UFA GM?  

Ones that very rarely sign UFA’s, especially in the first week. There are GMs that refrain.

We did great this year because we didn’t have the cap space.

9 hours ago, Cowtownguy said:

Yeah man, he's buried more bodies than Lucky Luciano. He has improved the team significantly though. I still consider him a solid GM.

Ironically, I really only consider Brouwer his big UFA mistake . The rest he got done in by unexpected internal growth.

He signed Mason Raymond , Josh Jooris surprised out of camp

He resigned Michael stone at a time he was a solid 4-5 ..then Andersson , valimaki and Kyllington took big strides 

He signed James Neal and Lindholm took his game to a whole new level

Lance Bouma was an arbitration life lesson he's never repeated 

Maybe a side effect of having coaching changes and not enough communication between his coach and scouts ..but if it's any sign at all sounds like he had discussion with Peters before pulling the trigger on the Lucic trade so that's a positive step

Life could be worse ... Minnesota canned their gm after one year and is now seriously considering Chiarelli..lol

• Like 2

1 hour ago, phoenix66 said:

Ironically, I really only consider Brouwer his big UFA mistake . The rest he got done in by unexpected internal growth.

He signed Mason Raymond , Josh Jooris surprised out of camp

He resigned Michael stone at a time he was a solid 4-5 ..then Andersson , valimaki and Kyllington took big strides 

He signed James Neal and Lindholm took his game to a whole new level

Lance Bouma was an arbitration life lesson he's never repeated 

Maybe a side effect of having coaching changes and not enough communication between his coach and scouts ..but if it's any sign at all sounds like he had discussion with Peters before pulling the trigger on the Lucic trade so that's a positive step

Life could be worse ... Minnesota canned their gm after one year and is now seriously considering Chiarelli..lol

Overall BT has done a good job, he’s still one of the better GMs in the league imo. I haven’t lost complete faith in him and he’s a genius if you want to start throwing names like Chiarelli around lol 

11 minutes ago, rickross said:

Overall BT has done a good job, he’s still one of the better GMs in the league imo. I haven’t lost complete faith in him and he’s a genius if you want to start throwing names like Chiarelli around lol 

I think anyone needs to be judged on a significant body of work and Trevliing has done a good job but with some gaffs here and there. My concern for this coming season is that he really hasn't improved the team over what we had last season. He seems to be banking on the players being more motivated from having their butts handed to them I the playoffs. I hope he has a few more significant moves up his sleeve before the season starts.

• Like 1

Treliving makes the final call, but I have bigger questions form their pro scouting process and not just Treliving. Most of the problem trades/UFA deals come from what I would call questionable pro scouting

Lazar

Raymond

Brouwer

Neal

It didn't take much scouting there to realize that these moves didn't make sense and weren't going to work. I give Treliving a small break on neal because it was difficult to project just how bad it would turn out, but at the same time there was more then enough there to not offer the contract they did. 

Pro scouting has long been questionable here I think. They have a few wins (Engelland and Lindholm come to mind) but their strength is certainly more on the amateur drafting side not the pro side. 

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

Treliving makes the final call, but I have bigger questions form their pro scouting process and not just Treliving. Most of the problem trades/UFA deals come from what I would call questionable pro scouting

Lazar

Raymond

Brouwer

Neal

It didn't take much scouting there to realize that these moves didn't make sense and weren't going to work. I give Treliving a small break on neal because it was difficult to project just how bad it would turn out, but at the same time there was more then enough there to not offer the contract they did. 

Pro scouting has long been questionable here I think. They have a few wins (Engelland and Lindholm come to mind) but their strength is certainly more on the amateur drafting side not the pro side. 

The worse thing about those targets is the price he paid to get them.

As if it was do or die.

Brouwer overpaid just to get him here.

Raymond coming off a PTO and getting that much from BT.

The cost to trade for Lazar.

The cost to trade for Bolig.

The cost to trade for Lucic.

EDM should have been happy to get Stone for Lucic and pay 2m of Lucic's salary, but that didn't happen.

Nobody else was offering much.

Even Lucic (2m retained)+ Puljujarvi should have been enough for Neal.

Yet, we got Lindholm in a win.

How do you hit on that and miss on Brouwer?