Brad Treliving - GM Tracking & Evaluation

Flame111

Here are some things Burke has supposedly said.....

Calgary Flames President of Hockey Operations Brian Burke says that forward Brandon Bollig will play more next season no matter who the new coach is.

Other #Flames news: Burke said Bruce Boudreau was NEVER considered for the head coaching vacancy.

At the #Flames STH info session "I'm not paying joe colborne 3.6M - based on his arbitration case"

Also, Burke digs Kylington. Said he's got ice in his veins and ran the PP in Stockton - as an 18yr old. He's a keeper and will play #Flames

I don't know how much of this is fact.  Sometimes Twitter is annoying in that people tweet things that are not fact.  The Bollig statement irks me if true.  I don't care if you are POHO, you aren't the coach and you aren't the GM.

I read through some more of this guys tweets, some of them make sense, and some of them don't...   Burke is too smart to have said some of the supposed quotes, and they would be totally out of character...

This is the twit that twittered the tweets...

b95f53d8e26402fe04b2f0708354591c.png

Not exactly what I would call a credible source, and I have to wonder if some of them were third hand information from across the bar counter.  

Sounds more like some random attention seeker just trying to gain more followers...

d6fd9da40debf58dbf6b8aa98604d6cb.png

^^^^^^

Carty - I kind of agree with you.  Way too much info to be coming from a Flames POHO.  Why go into the Hartley stuff or tipping their hand on what they will use for a trade for a goalie.  Bollig?  Really?  I would think he is an example of why Hartley was let go, not a strategy for next year, next coach.

Seems like a busy guy; how many games would he be able to attend?   :ph34r:

Tweeting opinions is going to be like a game of telephone, sometimes the message changes.

Maybe Burke mentioned they'd like to play a tougher game, something that Bollig brings, Maybe he said something about playing that type of player more from the 4th line and because he mentioned Bollig, the guy thinks Bollig gets more ice.

I like the 4th lines that are playing. They have some skill but they bring energy and kill time that allows the stars to get some much needed rest. Bollig doesn't do that, but there are players like him or a bit better that do.

I think he is just referencing a kind of game he prefers from the 4th and that's not new to us.

Those tweets came from the Season ticket holder session last night. Flames held a season ticket holder session Tuesday afternoon and yesterday evening and that is where Burke made those comments.

I've been to those before, not the last two, and that is completely in character for Burke. If you ask him a question he gives you the answer so i'm not surprised by any of those answers. 

Those tweets came from the Season ticket holder session last night. Flames held a season ticket holder session Tuesday afternoon and yesterday evening and that is where Burke made those comments.

I've been to those before, not the last two, and that is completely in character for Burke. If you ask him a question he gives you the answer so i'm not surprised by any of those answers. 

What makes this suspect is that nobody else is reporting it.  One person.  

Looking at this maybe we are all over thinking how LW will look next season.

Gaudreau

Bouma

Ferland

Bollig

There ya go.

There isn't anything to over think yet. No coach. Off season hasn't happened yet. Camp hasn't taken place. Which is why I don't think a President should be saying x person will get ice time or y person won't play top 6.

Regardless. Doesn't mean anything yet. We will have to see how the summer and fall pan out.

What makes this suspect is that nobody else is reporting it.  One person.  

Media are not allowed to the season ticket holder meetings, Season ticket holder only. 

in another forum the tweets were backed up by others that were there in attendance. 

Media are not allowed to the season ticket holder meetings, Season ticket holder only. 

in another forum the tweets were backed up by others that were there in attendance. 

And elsewhere you find other takes on the meeting...   

You can believe whatever you want, but his sounds more like what I would expect Burke to say, and for an example I just do not see mention of Bollig being a "go to guy" that needs more ice time from anyone I would give even a shred of credibility to,..   If Burke did think that, we are in trouble...

All comments here were made by Brian Burke

• Believes that Tkachuk, Dubois and Joelevi are the second ledge of 4-6
  • Was relieved they didn't fall out of the top six as they are confident in the top 6
  • Saw Nylander recently and believes he will be better than his older brother
  • Likes the big kid Brown, but he doesn't play a black and blue type of hockey
  • Thinks that Brown and Nylander will be in the gap for the Flames and therefore not relevant
  • Deflected a question about the other ledges in the draft and instead praised Treliving's ability to package draft picks (as he did for Hamilton)
  • Thinks that Kyllington is a phenomenal skater and will play in the NHL in the not-too-distant future
  • Ironed out some attitude and preparation issues with Andersson this year and he also believes that he will play in the NHL in the not-too-distant future
  • Figures 4-5 Flames will participate in the World Cup

- Burke was also pretty clear that they won't draft by positional need. Really hard to say whether this 4-6 was a smokescreen or not. He was very open that there was a ledge at 4-6 and named those guys by name.

- On the dismissal of Hartley, he was very clear that Bob and management were not on the same page. He listed 4 issues: Style (black and blue), systems (breakout), in game adjustments and specialty teams.

- My take from that was that Hartley and BT were not getting along overly well. Burke would "not throw dirt on Bob", but it sure seemed to me that this was brewing for a long time.

- Burkie had a couple of classic lines as well:

On why he wears an untied tie, why not just go without? "You must have me confused with someone who cares about your opinion".

- On Rasmus Andersson: "Behind his back we call him Shrek...because he is kinda ugly".

I sit corrected.  :)

The only other forum I saw was HB.  I didn't see anyone backing it up, just commenting on it, much like the blogger was.  

There isn't anything to over think yet. No coach. Off season hasn't happened yet. Camp hasn't taken place. Which is why I don't think a President should be saying x person will get ice time or y person won't play top 6.

Regardless. Doesn't mean anything yet. We will have to see how the summer and fall pan out.

I hear you and understand totally. I'm actually not worried about whether Bollig is here or not, you can always sit him and work in a prospect or two throughout the season.

BT needs to concentrate on ridding us of Wideman, Stajan and Raymond. Smid I have no idea where that situation will end up.

Every tweet there sounds like Burke.  He def says what's on his mind !  Sounds like Colborne isn't in for a big raise...at least not here. 

They have to keep Colborne no higher than 1.7M if they and him want to remain a Flame.

You are correct.  But normally there are a bunch of posters all repeating the same thing.  I didn't encounter that here.  

I don't agree the comments that were made were Burke like.  I can't see him committing to playing Bollig more or limiting Ferland to the top 6.  Usually he responds with an "I am not the coach" for those types of questions.  I also don't see him coming out and saying we aren't paying Colborne 3.6 million if he receives it in arbitration.  More likely he says that they need to be careful not to overpay or something like that.    

I am not saying it didn't happen. It just seems uncharacteristic for Burke and not validated due to the lack of other corroborating comments.  Looks more like some guy is trolling the fans and the media.  

I think people need to remember that Burke likes to sensationalize things and speaks first, thinks later. He said Bobby Ryan couldn't spell intense, but yet admitted afterwards that he was a big fan of Bobby Ryan.He was famous for his "i'll drive them to the airport" comments whenever it came to overpaying in arbitration or just overpaying in general. I was at one of these things when he ripped Baertschi for a good 1-2 mins but then admit he was still a good prospect that they had plans for and then even inticed the crowd to shout out others names that he can give his opinion on.

Burke doesn't do these things to give you inside info, he does them to entertain people and keep fans happy.

I think people need to remember that Burke likes to sensationalize things and speaks first, thinks later. He said Bobby Ryan couldn't spell intense, but yet admitted afterwards that he was a big fan of Bobby Ryan.He was famous for his "i'll drive them to the airport" comments whenever it came to overpaying in arbitration or just overpaying in general. I was at one of these things when he ripped Baertschi for a good 1-2 mins but then admit he was still a good prospect that they had plans for and then even inticed the crowd to shout out others names that he can give his opinion on.

Burke doesn't do these things to give you inside info, he does them to entertain people and keep fans happy.

I get that and I agree. But he doesn't usually step on his coaches and GMs toes by suggesting xyz is going to happen to the roster or on the ice. Especially when there is an entire off season yet to happen.

Until I see more fans saying they heard the same thing at the event I take those tweets with a double helping of salt.

Pay my thousands in season tickets and I can't voice my own opinion? I didn't insult anyone but the readers did to me. I wasn't racial or use profanity. I just don't appreciate a GM that lets the team tank so he can fire his coach for his own agenda. I'm not stupid I know what Treliving did. Kick me out like I give a elbowing.

Pay my thousands in season tickets and I can't voice my own opinion? I didn't insult anyone but the readers did to me. I wasn't racial or use profanity. I just don't appreciate a GM that lets the team tank so he can fire his coach for his own agenda. I'm not stupid I know what Treliving did. Kick me out like I give a elbowing.

If you continue by doing nothing more than bleating out your view of the worlds, but your only backup is saying you are right, don't expect anyone to stroke your ego. Voice your opinion all you want, but abide by the rules and the spirit of the forum or leave.  Being a STH doesn't make you right.  

By rights, Hartley should have been canned in November.  That's how it works in the NHL.  Your team fails and the coach or players are sent packing.  In the Flames case, Raymond and Ramo were waived to make the team better.  Nakladal was brought up to replace an injured player but sat on the bench.  Bollig played a lot of games for a player that was a boat anchor.  

Hartley was given the rest of the season to get better results.  He didn't.  Tanking is a lot easier if you tell the coach to give less ice time to the stars.  Hard to tank if your top player gets 78 points.  

If you consider trading three pending free agents as proof of tanking, then you you are wrong.  We were out of the playoffs. Russell`s value had increased to a point where he couldn`t be re-signed.  Hudler`s value had plummeted and there was no chance we were going to give him an extension.  Granlund was traded because he wasn`t good enough at center to stay in the lineup.  His spot was replaced by Bennett.  We got a top prospect for him that played this year.  

Year 2 as GM, BT did just about everything as right as you would want.  Trade picks for a future top 2 d-man.  Sign him below what he turned down in Boston.  Re-sign Gio to a contract that is below what top D-men in the league make (Subban, etc.)  Re-sign Brodie to a value contract for a top pair d-man.  Trade players at deadline for max value.  Picks, prospects and a NHL defenseman for three players that were pending UFA`s and a waiver eligible depth center.  

Two of the best players on the team don`t have new contracts.  We don`t have a new coach yet.  So what.  The buyout period has not begun, expansion has not been announced, and the playoffs are still on.  A thorough search for a coach takes time.  Well though out deals for top players take time.  

• Like 6

I also don't think it's fair to assume that Johnny and Mony are not signed becaue of Treliving. What's to say it's not Johnny and Mony that are waiting?

If I were them I'd want to know who my coach is before committing the prime of my career to an organization

I also don't think it's fair to assume that Johnny and Mony are not signed becaue of Treliving. What's to say it's not Johnny and Mony that are waiting?

If I were them I'd want to know who my coach is before committing the prime of my career to an organization

Very true, and pretty sure the first word we hear about negotiations will be the day they announce them.

People forget, this is a negotiation. BT's job is to get the best deal for the club. He works for a boss who is a huge believer in bridge deals.

He has hammers to use, but he has to balance that with respect for the player.

Has Johnny earned his payday? Absolutely.. but he also has no leverage. He cant be offer sheeted.BT could ram a 2 year bridge deal down his throat and hed pretty much have to take it. But wed pay the price for it next time in possibly 10M contracts., or an arbitration thst makes him a UFA after. If he could sell them on 2-3 yr 4-5M deals it would be a coup, and I tnink theyd still be RFA after.

A lot goes into this, the fact hes not just handing over 8 yr 8M contracts testifies to BT it doesnt condemn him