Flames Defense

CheersMan

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

Bartkowski played well for about two weeks but he's beginning to show everyone why he is a borderline NHLer.  Great speed and quickness but decision making is questionable.  

That said, Jokipakka was hopeless and generally looked lost our there.  He certainly isn't any better, just younger with potential to get better over time.

I think from the limited time we saw Jokipakka last and this year, he took a step backwards. 

But then, we were not in a playoff race when we got him and other teams didn't take us seriously then, so it is hard to judge.

but to me, he took a step backwards. I liked what I saw last season, this year he looked bad most of the time.

6 hours ago, robrob74 said:

I think from the limited time we saw Jokipakka last and this year, he took a step backwards. 

But then, we were not in a playoff race when we got him and other teams didn't take us seriously then, so it is hard to judge.

but to me, he took a step backwards. I liked what I saw last season, this year he looked bad most of the time.

Jokipakka had promise but promise doesn't evolve without playing, making your mistakes and gaining the experience Bartkowski will help bridge us to the talent we have coming.

I think Bartowski is fine as a bottom pairing dman, especially at the price tag they are paying him. He is an upgrade to Jokipakka who I don't think has good enough hockey sense to be an NHL dman. Jokipakka just doesn't not read the play well enough to play in the NHL for any length of time imo. 

• 1 month later...

What ever happened to that Russian dude, Rafikov or whatever? I believe we drafted the guy a few years ago, but he had visa issues (something like that). Did he just refuse to attend a training camp? Do we even control his rights now? I recall that he was a decent defenceman for Russia and he had some huevos. 

We still have his rights as far as I know. This past season he played for Lokomotiv putting up 12 points in 57 games. I am not sure if or when we will see on this side of the pond.

As far as him having eggs, I am not too sure to be honest. I am sure he has them once in awhile for breakfast.

Was Rafikov not going to be at our last 2 camps and then "visa issues". Seems odd 2 yrs in a row. Is he not under contract with Loko for next year?

Seems maybe he doesn't want to cross the pond. No harm in that regard if he wants to stay home near family, it seems that way, though I'm uncertain.

Mattson is the one I'm more wondering about, as far as progression and development.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Was Rafikov not going to be at our last 2 camps and then "visa issues". Seems odd 2 yrs in a row. Is he not under contract with Loko for next year?

Seems maybe he doesn't want to cross the pond. No harm in that regard if he wants to stay home near family, it seems that way, though I'm uncertain.

Mattson is the one I'm more wondering about, as far as progression and development.

Rafikov did have issues.  From what I hear, he is playing pretty well now, getting trusted with minutes.

I prefer to hold out hop on Ollas-Mattsson.  AOM.  I like the "kid's" style.  Hard to believe he is still only 20 going on 21.

He's listed as 6'5" and plays a bigger game than Dougie.  Doesn't mean he is great defensively, but at least he will be in the AHL this coming season (I hope).  Should get to hear a little more about him.  As long as the Heat move out some of the guys taking up space on that roster.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

I'm wondering is Keegan Kanzig a total lost cause?  Is the former Calgary Hitmen ever going to make it to the NHL?

Low scoring in the AHL D-men need to be more than just big.  If his skating and defending was better, he could easily be equivalent to Engelland.  At this point there is no evidence to suggest those areas are improving.  He could end up being a late blooomer, but I have doubts.

3 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I'm wondering is Keegan Kanzig a total lost cause?  Is the former Calgary Hitmen ever going to make it to the NHL?

he might be , but this is pretty impressive .. he should be in the A next year for sure 

i forgot about him ...blows away Kanzigs stats

https://www.nhl.com/flames/news/prospect-of-the-month---stepan-falkovsky/c-287287884

Stepan Falkovsky

Defense -- shoots L
Born Dec 18 1996 -- Minsk, Belarus 
[20 yrs. ago] 
Height 6.07 -- Weight 224 [201 cm/102 kg]
Drafted by Calgary Flames
- round 7 #186 overall 2016 NHL Entry Draft

Regular Season Playoffs
Season Team Lge GP G A Pts PIM +/- GP G A Pts PIM
2015-16 Ottawa 67's OHL 58 9 23 32 35 17 5 1 2 3 4
2016-17 Adirondack Thunder ECHL 54 21 11 32 37 -1 4 0 2 2 0

6 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

he might be , but this is pretty impressive .. he should be in the A next year for sure 

https://www.nhl.com/flames/news/prospect-of-the-month---stepan-falkovsky/c-287287884

Stepan Falkovsky

Defense -- shoots L
[20 yrs. ago] 

Regular Season Playoffs

He is certainly one to watch for sure. Quite the season he put together.

6 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

He is certainly one to watch for sure. Quite the season he put together.

sounds to me like if you put him and Kanzig into one player you'd have Chara..

one has the defense tools but not the speed , IQ and skill level.. the other has all the tools(Speed, IQ, etc) but needs to improve his actual defense skills . no problem , we can teach that :)

1 hour ago, phoenix66 said:

Stepan Falkovsky

Defense -- shoots L
[20 yrs. ago] 

Regular Season Playoffs

What's most impressive about his season is that it exploded.  He scored 12 goals and 15 points in 13 games in February.

2 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

What's most impressive about his season is that it exploded.  He scored 12 goals and 15 points in 13 games in February.

No kidding .. Sounds like he's a quick learner.. as mentioned id throw him in the fire and let him do the Heat next year .. sounds like hed be more effective than Kanzig..  OMG can you imagine that if you could make an effective pairing ?  Twin Towers LOL

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

No kidding .. Sounds like he's a quick learner.. as mentioned id throw him in the fire and let him do the Heat next year .. sounds like hed be more effective than Kanzig..  OMG can you imagine that if you could make an effective pairing ?  Twin Towers LOL

Riley Bruce 6'-7" and Ollas-Mattsson 6'-5"... Bring them all to the Heat next season... Some pretty crazy pairings but sacrifice speed.

2 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Riley Bruce 6'-7" and Ollas-Mattsson 6'-5"... Bring them all to the Heat next season... Some pretty crazy pairings but sacrifice speed.

Would be happier with AOM and Falkovski (6'7") over the lanky kid Bruce.

1 minute ago, travel_dude said:

Would be happier with AOM and Falkovski (6'7") over the lanky kid Bruce.

Ya Bruce looks like a gamble that didn't pay off.

I wonder what we do with our D in Stockton next season if we bring in AOM, Falkovsky, and Kanzig full time.  Anderson graduates to the NHL.  Kylington, Wotherspoon, and Culkin returns?

23 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Ya Bruce looks like a gamble that didn't pay off.

I wonder what we do with our D in Stockton next season if we bring in AOM, Falkovsky, and Kanzig full time.  Anderson graduates to the NHL.  Kylington, Wotherspoon, and Culkin returns?

Culkin and Spoon will probably get cut loose.  Here is what I think Stockton looks like next season, barring somebody graduating:

Andersson - RHS

Kylington - LHS

Kostka - RHS

Doetzel - RHS

Kulak - LHS

Falkovski - LHS

AOM - LHS 

Healey - LHS

If the bolded graduate, then we probably need to bring back Morrison or sign another RHS.  Personally, I would like to see a guy like AOM or Healey make the team, just because I think they bring something the Flames lack; heavy hitters.

20 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Culkin and Spoon will probably get cut loose.  Here is what I think Stockton looks like next season, barring somebody graduating:

Andersson - RHS

Kylington - LHS

Kostka - RHS

Doetzel - RHS

Kulak - LHS

Falkovski - LHS

AOM - LHS 

Healey - LHS

If the bolded graduate, then we probably need to bring back Morrison or sign another RHS.  Personally, I would like to see a guy like AOM or Healey make the team, just because I think they bring something the Flames lack; heavy hitters.

Well I've always felt the farm team should focus on giving prospects ice time to develop and work on their game regardless of wins and losses.  So, if guys like AOM need the AHL ice time, give it to them.  Especially over career AHLers who are unlikely to ever make the big club. 

The fact remains the Flames have 3 NHL defense under contract. 3!

Does anyone want the rest filled by tweeners/rookies?

We need to sign/re-sign @ least 1 that is 4/5 worthy but I'd prefer 2 as I really don't want a 3-4 rookie mistakes on the back line @ at time.  We have the rights to Stone who fits the bill but doesn't have a case for much of a raise so pencil him in @ something like 2-2.5 x 2 or 3.

Shattenkirk is the top UFA D-man but has expressed a desire for the NY area (that means any team in the Met) & more $s than he's worth so scratch him off the list.

Alzner would be nice but again he'll get more money than his worth.

Kulikov the same.

We know Russell too well to spend $4 million on him.

Markov & Oduya will probably sign value contracts to keep playing & would be good trade bait @ the deadline but I'm not excited to see either play hard top 4 minutes. For the season before the deadline sends them to a contender they'll want the easier travel in the east.

I'll stay with a familiar in suggesting Del Zotto.

Although my 1st choice to add that top 4 is to dangle our 1st+ to Anaheim/Minnesota/Carolina for 1 of the D they can't protect. Other teams with midling picks will likely do the same but with 3 kicks @ that we should be able to land 1. Any of Fowler (4 x 1 before UFA), Dumba (2.255 x 1 then RFA) or Hanifin (ELC 0.925 & then RFA) suits me. In division makes Fowler unlikely while even in conference works against us for Dumba but Hanifin is the youngest, there is no conference extra demand & the Canes have a full pipeline @ D so probably our best chance.

Obviously we need a goalie but the better the D we put in front of him the better he looks. Especially if all skaters realize team D shouldn't take 2nd place to scoring stats for individuals. Even little Gaudreau has to fight to gain a puck.

With almost $22 million in cap space & whatever salary we lose in the draft I'd budget 8 for a pair of goalies, 8-10 for 2 defense & whatever is left for forwards as there are always budget 1s available when the smoke clears after the frenzy.

We can bridge Bennett, Lazar & Ferland pending more cap space to come.

• Like 1

Can't believe I'm suggesting this, but it's impressive how he has turned his game around .

Justin Schultz is RFA, but also a player that Pittsburgh may want to move ..cuz he likely wont be protected and by the time the draft rolls around they wont have the Goalie issue.

Hes likely going to be resignable in the 2's(high 2's , maybe 3)-- already plays well in our system (sullivan plays the same system GG does )

3rd pairing guy with ability to spend time on the 2nd if required..

only problem is then we'd have to protect him .. that could be tricky 

1 hour ago, phoenix66 said:

Can't believe I'm suggesting this, but it's impressive how he has turned his game around .

Justin Schultz is RFA, but also a player that Pittsburgh may want to move ..cuz he likely wont be protected and by the time the draft rolls around they wont have the Goalie issue.

Hes likely going to be resignable in the 2's(high 2's , maybe 3)-- already plays well in our system (sullivan plays the same system GG does )

3rd pairing guy with ability to spend time on the 2nd if required..

only problem is then we'd have to protect him .. that could be tricky 

Schultz is likely going to get more than that. He was a top 4 dman for the Pens basically all year and topped 50 points. I think Schultz gets over 4.5 on some term, he's really come into his own in Pittsburgh. I really like him but I think he's priced out of the flames budget. 

1 hour ago, Flyerfan52 said:

Although my 1st choice to add that top 4 is to dangle our 1st+ to Anaheim/Minnesota/Carolina for 1 of the D they can't protect. Other teams with midling picks will likely do the same but with 3 kicks @ that we should be able to land 1. Any of Fowler (4 x 1 before UFA), Dumba (2.255 x 1 then RFA) or Hanifin (ELC 0.925 & then RFA) suits me. In division makes Fowler unlikely while even in conference works against us for Dumba but Hanifin is the youngest, there is no conference extra demand & the Canes have a full pipeline @ D so probably our best chance.

Obviously we need a goalie but the better the D we put in front of him the better he looks. Especially if all skaters realize team D shouldn't take 2nd place to scoring stats for individuals. Even little Gaudreau has to fight to gain a puck.

I'm not too excited about the draft, so if we can get a top 4 D (is now one or has shown potential) using the 1st, I would be all over that.  I'm not sure why you mentioned Hanifin. He's exempt, so they have no need to trade him other than clearing a path for other players.  Anaheim may be a target, but they might not deal with us.  

Hey, just wondering why you never mentioned the Jets as a target.  Myers or Trouba won't be protected as it stands right now, if they go with 7-3-1.  I suppose they could go 8-1 and protect those guys.  Don;t know enough about the forwards to say for sure.

38 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I'm not too excited about the draft, so if we can get a top 4 D (is now one or has shown potential) using the 1st, I would be all over that.  I'm not sure why you mentioned Hanifin. He's exempt, so they have no need to trade him other than clearing a path for other players.  Anaheim may be a target, but they might not deal with us.  

Hey, just wondering why you never mentioned the Jets as a target.  Myers or Trouba won't be protected as it stands right now, if they go with 7-3-1.  I suppose they could go 8-1 and protect those guys.  Don;t know enough about the forwards to say for sure.

Get ready for it...........the ask will be Johnny or Mony or Bennett plus.

40 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

The Jets are thought of as one of the few teams protecting 8 players.  Their best forwards are all young and don't meet draft requirements... So protecting 4 D.