The Official Calgary Flames "New Arena" thread

DirtyDeeds

It's funny,

in New Westminster, city developers and condo companies decided to develop around their industrial  train station, where trains "crash" into each other 24 hours a day. 

when the new condo owners purchased and lived and realized the trains went off 24 hours a day, they put in complaints, I thought it was the funniest thing they bought knowing it was there.

3 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

it should have been in the original proposal. If you want to have world class artist play there and have events when games aren't being played, then best to have it ready to do that? 

Easier said than done. I think they'll get into that, but it'll be a design change, so...more bucks.

It's the best option, which of course means the most expensive. If it's going to be a 30 yr venue, that should be considered. We'll see if they "adjust" by-laws, but that's the easiest way that will lead to a world of BTCing.

4 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Easier said than done. I think they'll get into that, but it'll be a design change, so...more bucks.

It's the best option, which of course means the most expensive. If it's going to be a 30 yr venue, that should be considered. We'll see if they "adjust" by-laws, but that's the easiest way that will lead to a world of BTCing.

not only that. It could help offset the costs quicker. 

i don't know the city very well, so not sure just how residential the area is, but if they wanted an entertainment district, then it's not such a big deal as it could be loud anyway. 

30 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

not only that. It could help offset the costs quicker. 

i don't know the city very well, so not sure just how residential the area is, but if they wanted an entertainment district, then it's not such a big deal as it could be loud anyway. 

I recall reading, a few days ago, "it would add $8-10 million to the cost". I'd say double because it's a design change. There goes $8-10 off the hop.

For these big spenders, it would be like you or I deciding on the $4/sq.ft laminate or the $6.50/sq.ft laminate for 240 sq.ft. lol

Ridiculous amounts of money. So...just Blockchaining get it right is all I ask. I don't have any skin in the game from Ontario, but my 20 years there, I'll never forget. The 1st time I saw the Stampede grounds in '94, I thought, "JFC, what a dump. Seriously"?

So that was my first impression. My opinion of Calgary got worlds better. Do you want an essay? lol

I don't know if you've been?

My teams are Calgary and Detroit. I've travelled extensively. Those 2 cities just blow me away.

Little Caesar's in Detroit is the best arena in the league. Detroit deserves that. If Scotia Place knocks Detroit to 2nd, that's just perfect. Calgarians deserve that.

There is a type of magic in people and areas from both cities. And I've been to a lot of cities.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Why don't they just blanket rezone that area from High Density Residential into an Industrial Park?  I mean, on paper anyways.

Mayor wants the billions from the Feds for creating a concrete jungle.  

31 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I recall reading, a few days ago, "it would add $8-10 million to the cost". I'd say double because it's a design change. There goes $8-10 off the hop.

For these big spenders, it would be like you or I deciding on the $4/sq.ft laminate or the $6.50/sq.ft laminate for 240 sq.ft. lol

Ridiculous amounts of money. So...just Blockchaining get it right is all I ask. I don't have any skin in the game from Ontario, but my 20 years there, I'll never forget. The 1st time I saw the Stampede grounds in '94, I thought, "JFC, what a dump. Seriously"?

So that was my first impression. My opinion of Calgary got worlds better. Do you want an essay? lol

I don't know if you've been?

My teams are Calgary and Detroit. I've travelled extensively. Those 2 cities just blow me away.

Little Caesar's in Detroit is the best arena in the league. Detroit deserves that. If Scotia Place knocks Detroit to 2nd, that's just perfect. Calgarians deserve that.

There is a type of magic in people and areas from both cities. And I've been to a lot of cities.

Even if soundproofing is double the $8M estimate, it would still only be 1.72% of the cost of the entire project.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Easy for you to say, big spender.;)

I'm probably learning from you my friend, lol

To quote your previous post:

"I'd spend the money on modifications to absorb the sound, then it's no longer a concern. Because it's not my money. lol".

To be fair, I do realize that part of the arena funding comes from the tax dollars collected from my landlord.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, robrob74 said:

it should have been in the original proposal. If you want to have world class artist play there and have events when games aren't being played, then best to have it ready to do that? 

I think @Mike_Oxlong can heavily critique what I'm about to say, but...

Just imagine what it takes to design something like this.

First, you're pouring over every shred of land surveys you can find. Considering landform, underground waterways, all the geotechnical stuff. Then you have 20 govt depts and special interest groups coming at you from every direction up the ying-yang.

Then you come up with a rough design. No, no, no and no. So you go through that process 76 times until your close. A year later, you finally crawl it home and introduce it to the public.

Then you hope you can sleep for a month.

Then you get a phone call. "Hey, we're just looking at the noise by-laws"....oh Blockchain.

So while, "you'd think they would have considered" is generally correct, there had to have been 300 other considerations first.

Thankfully, this didn't wait until the first Metallica concert. lol

I'm pretty quick to forgive the oversight. Imagine digging an 80' canyon near 2 aggressive waterways and then pounding 50' piles down. That is waaaaay above my pay grade. I'm frazzled just thinking about it. lol

6 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I think @Mike_Oxlong can heavily critique what I'm about to say, but...

Just imagine what it takes to design something like this.

First, you're pouring over every shred of land surveys you can find. Considering landform, underground waterways, all the geotechnical stuff. Then you have 20 govt depts and special interest groups coming at you from every direction up the ying-yang.

Then you come up with a rough design. No, no, no and no. So you go through that process 76 times until your close. A year later, you finally crawl it home and introduce it to the public.

Then you hope you can sleep for a month.

Then you get a phone call. "Hey, we're just looking at the noise by-laws"....oh Blockchain.

So while, "you'd think they would have considered" is generally correct, there had to have been 300 other considerations first.

Thankfully, this didn't wait until the first Metallica concert. lol

I'm pretty quick to forgive the oversight. Imagine digging an 80' canyon near 2 aggressive waterways and then pounding 50' piles down. That is waaaaay above my pay grade. I'm frazzled just thinking about it. lol

Add to that the first time they got close, they were given a new demand of adding green to it.  I think it was a consideration but it was pushed to the top with recent events and people.  

I don't live there or even near any arena, but I tend to think that downtown is downtown.  It's not supposed to be quiet.  It's not the burbs.  The Stampede makes noise.  Outdoor concerts might be a thing, but come on.  There are bigger concerns for the NIMBY people.  4 plexes next to single story.  Water, sewer and power consumption increasing by multiples of 2.  

6 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Add to that the first time they got close, they were given a new demand of adding green to it.  I think it was a consideration but it was pushed to the top with recent events and people.  

I don't live there or even near any arena, but I tend to think that downtown is downtown.  It's not supposed to be quiet.  It's not the burbs.  The Stampede makes noise.  Outdoor concerts might be a thing, but come on.  There are bigger concerns for the NIMBY people.  4 plexes next to single story.  Water, sewer and power consumption increasing by multiples of 2.  

I'm going to assume you mean the original arena deal when you mention the added green costs? Sorry, that's absolutely incorrect. Though  I apologize if I'm off-base in my assumption.

7 hours ago, Mike_Oxlong said:

I'm going to assume you mean the original arena deal when you mention the added green costs? Sorry, that's absolutely incorrect. Though  I apologize if I'm off-base in my assumption.

I was referring to the increased costs to greening, not that it wasn't originally factored in.  But honestly, I thought that the original design was modified by the city's new mandates and the end result was an increase in the costs.  It seems so long ago that is was walked away from.

12 hours ago, Mike_Oxlong said:

The original deal was a go. Then the new mayor came in, stated the "climate emergency". And altered the qualifications to approve the building permit requiring solar panels and green space..adding a handful of millions to the cost of the building permit due to the added design costs. She tried to bluff Edwards into the added costs ..who called her bluff and walked away from the deal on principle. ..

That in a nutshell is how the first deal died ..

1 hour ago, Mike_Oxlong said:

You are both wrong, sorry. I can explain via PM but won't do it via open posts.

I'm all in if you wanna give me the rundown via PM. I, also, won't defy your trust and post it in any form.

Knowledge is king, and I don't like likes. lol

I am fond of understanding, though.

It's great to see you around, "Mike Longox" (blast from the past).

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I'm all in if you wanna give me the rundown via PM. I, also, won't defy your trust and post it in any form.

Knowledge is king, and I don't like likes. lol

I am fond of understanding, though.

It's great to see you around, "Mike Longox" (blast from the past).

I appreciate you not pulling a Peeps and referring to me as Oxshort.

2 hours ago, Mike_Oxlong said:

You are both wrong, sorry. I can explain via PM but won't do it via open posts.

Id love to hear another take on it ..it was well documented and I was semi close to some working the process 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
9 hours ago, DirtyDeeds said:

diggin a hole

Years ago, I tried to convince the powers that be here to bring Big Wreck (who always play here to big crowds) and Big Sugar (who'd been a few times-awesome guys) together here and call it, "The Really Big Show".

Everyone loved the idea...except the powers that be.

They just keep recycling The Tea Party, Our Lady Peace, 3 Days Grace, Finger 11, I Mother Earth and all of that crap.

Speaking of digging a hole...then you have to fix it!!